Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Add even more fun to your vacation
Just because you want a lightweight, easy-to-use camera to take on your next vacation doesn't mean you need to buy a camera that's light on features. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V uses GPS technology to tag your travel pics with location information, captures clear detailed photos even at dusk, and lets you catch blur-free shots of all the active people and pets in your life.
Get closer to the people you love
The 16X optical zoom lens gets you close to distant subjects in photos and videos, so you won't miss a thing on your trip. And the camera finds the faces in your frame, tracks them, and automatically adjusts its settings to give you crisp, attractive photos of friends and family. Capture fleeting smiles with the help of "smile shutter" mode, which automatically snaps a picture when it spots a grin. If your subject starts to squint as you take a photo, an anti-blink function snaps two quick shots, and then records only the one with your subject's eyes wide open.
Sunsets and candlelit dinners never looked so good
You've probably tried to capture those romantic dinners or dimly lit parties before, and not only blinded everyone with your flash, but made everyone look more like they were in a police mug shot than having a good time. With the advanced CMOS sensor built into the DSC-HX10V, twilight is no longer something to be feared. The camera performs well in low light situations, making your party pictures look natural and fun.
3D Panoramic photos and 1080i HD movie mode
This camera boasts plenty of other cool features, too. You can create 3D panoramic photos that reach beyond the scope of an ordinary wide-angle lens by sweeping the camera horizontally or vertically across your scene — the 'HX10V stitches several images together in-camera to form one seamless 3D photo that you can check out on your 3D TV when you get home. The DSC-HX10V also offers an impressive HD movie mode, which lets you shoot high-definition 1080i footage that'll look great on your HDTV.
- 18.2-megapixel effective recording
- 16X optical zoom
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, and Memory Stick® PRO Duo media
- high-resolution 3" LCD screen (921,000 dots)
- zooms from wide-angle, for photos of landscapes or large groups, to long telephoto for faraway details
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 26-416mm (16:9 still mode)
- built-in GPS receiver and compass record the location and direction of photos for photo-mapping (with included software)
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization
- 3D panorama mode assembles several images into one continuous photo
- advanced "Exmor R" CMOS sensor for sharp photos even in low light
- motion detection keeps your photos of moving subjects clean and crisp
- face detection controls focus and exposure for accurate portraits
- smile recognition holds shutter response until the camera detects that your subject is smiling
- anti-blink function captures two images and records the one with the least amount of squinting
- scene recognition chooses the appropriate scene mode based on your subject and shooting environment
- camera quickly shoots and combines up to six shots through Backlight Correction HDR technology for better exposure and dynamic range
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080i resolution)
- in-camera editing functions for retouching and special effects, including red-eye reduction
Connections and Dimensions:
- mini HDMI output (HDMI cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-1/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-3/8"D
- weight (without battery or memory): 7.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-BG1)
- AC adapter
- micro USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-HX10V Reviews
What's in the box?
- Digital still camera (black)
- Wrist strap
- NP-BG1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6 Volts/3.4 Wh/960 mAh) in a plastic case
- AC-UB10 AC adapter (5 V/0.5 A)
- 40" USB cable (has Type A USB on one end and a micro USB connector on the other end)
- Instruction Manual (English/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Online registration sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||26-416mm|
|Internal Memory||19 MB|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo
|Effective Megapixel Count||18.2|
|Highest Resolution||4896 x 3672|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
3" LCD Screen: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V digital camera has a 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD display with 921,000 dots. The LCD brightness control lets you set the brightness from 1 (dark) to 5 (bright). The camera does not include a separate viewfinder.
Dual Media: This camera has 19 MB of internal memory. This camera is also compatible with the following recording media: Memory Stick Duo (still images only), Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2 only for movie recording), Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards (Class 4 or higher).
Image Recording Formats: The camera records still images in JPEG format and 3D still images in MPO format. Moving images can be recorded in AVCHD format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) with Dolby Digital 2ch audio or MPEG-4 with AAC stereo audio.
Image Sensor: For optimal image quality, the camera uses a 7.76mm (1/2.3") color Exmor R CMOS image sensor with approximately 18.9-million total pixels and 18.2-million effective pixels.
G-Series Lens: Designed and manufactured to the highest standards of optical performance, the Sony G-Lens is optimized to perfectly complement the advanced image sensors and image processing technology in Sony's cameras. The DSC-HX10V camera features a wide-angle G-series lens that will widen your view and capture more of the city, landscape, or group portrait. The lens has a 16x optical zoom and a focal length of 24mm to 384mm (35mm equivalent) for still images, 25-400mm for 16:9 movies and 31-496mm for 4:3 movies. It has an aperture range of F3.3 to F8.0 (W) and F5.9 to F14 (T).
Clear Image/Digital Zoom: In addition to the 16x optical zoom, you can reach higher zoom scales by engaging the Clear Image Zoom or the Digital Zoom, or both. The amount of zoom depends upon the image size as follows:
|Image Size||Optical Zoom||Digital Zoom
(includes 16x Optical Zoom)
|Clear Image Zoom||Maximum Zoom Scale|
Optical SteadyShot: With Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, the DSC-HX10V uses a built-in gyro sensor to compensate for shaky hands, minimize blur, brighten images, and allow flash-free shooting to preserve the mood.
Still Image Sizes: When recording digital still images, the DSC-HX10V allows you to choose from six image sizes:
- 18M (4896 x 3672)
- 10M (3648 x 2736)
- 5M (2592 x 1944)
- VGA (640 x 480)
- 16:9-13M (4896 x 2752)
- 16:9-2M (1920 x 1080)
Recording Movies: Besides recording still images, you can also record movies in AVCHD or MPEG-4 formats. Available image sizes and movie quality include:
|Movie Format/Quality||Average Bit-rate||Image Size|
|AVC HD FX||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080/60i|
|AVC HD FH||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080/60i|
|AVC HD HQ||9 Mbps||1440 x 1080/60i|
|MP4 12M||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080/30p|
|MP4 6M||6 Mbps||1280 x 720/30p|
|MP4 3M||3 Mbps||640 x 480/30p|
Note: You can shoot continuously for approximately 29 minutes. Maximum MPEG-4 movie file size is approximately 2 GB.
Burst/Bracket Modes: The camera offers two multiple-image shooting modes:
- Burst: The burst mode lets you shoot multiple images when you press and hold down the shutter release. Up to 10 images can be recorded at the highest resolution (18.2M) at approximately 10 frames per second. Focus, White Balance, and Exposure Value (EV) are set with the first image.
- Bracket: The bracket mode lets you shoot a series of 3 images, each with a different exposure setting--one at normal exposure, one under exposed, and one over exposed. You can select three different step values: 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV. You can also choose a bracket mode with the white balance at normal, shifted toward blue, and shifted toward red.
Self-Timer: You can set the Self-Timer mode to a 10-second or 2-second delay so you can be in the picture. You can also select two Self-Portrait Timer modes which will capture the image 2 seconds after the face of one person or two people are detected.
Focus Modes: You can select from three auto focusing methods:
- Multi AF: The camera focuses in nine areas around the center of the frame. This method is helpful when your subject is not centered in the frame.
- Center AF: The camera focuses on a subject in the center of the frame. By pressing the shutter release halfway, you can lock the focus on your subject and recompose your shot with the subject off center.
- Spot AF: The camera focuses on a very small area in the center of the frame.
Tracking Focus: If you are trying to photograph a moving subject, you can use the tracking focus feature to keep the subject in focus as it moves around the frame. If Face Detection and tracking focus are used at the same time, the camera will track a selected face if it is registered with the camera.
AF Illuminator: The AF (auto focus) Illuminator briefly provides fill light to focus more easily on a subject in dark surroundings. You can set the AF Illuminator to Auto or Off.
Face Detection: Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and controls flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to deliver accurate, natural skin tones with reduced red-eye. It can also give priority to children or adults. You can also select and register an individual's face to be given priority.
Anti-Blink Function: The Anti-blink function works to help counter blinking and squinting. When the camera is set to Soft Snap, the Anti-blink function captures two images, recording only the photo with less squinting. If a blink is detected in other shooting modes, a warning will be displayed after you take the shot so you can determine whether or not you need to take another shot.
Smile Shutter Mode: The Smile Shutter technology automatically detects and captures a smiling face. Simply activate by pressing the Smile Shutter button and the camera will capture a smile the moment it happens. You can adjust the degree of Smile Detection Sensitivity as desired.
Scene Recognition: Scene Recognition mode automatically detects eight different types of scenes and selects the appropriate camera settings: Portrait, Infant, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Low Light, and Macro. You can select from Auto or Advanced Scene Recognition modes.
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- 3D Still Images: Images are recorded using 3D functions and can be played back stereoscopically on a 3D TV.
- Scene Selection Modes: You can choose from the following Scene Selection modes:
- Soft Skin: Allows you to shoot faces with smooth-looking skin
- Soft Snap: Allows you to shoot images with a softer atmosphere for portraits, flowers, etc.
- Anti-Motion Blur: Shoot indoor shots without using flash.
- Landscape: This mode is used for shooting landscapes at a distance.
- Backlight Correction HDR: Shoots 3 images with different exposures and combines them into a single image with a greater range of gradation.
- Night Portrait: This mode is used for shooting people in the foreground at night.
- Night Scene: This mode is used for shooting a distant subject at night.
- Hand-held Twilight: Shoot night scenes with less noise without using a tripod.
- High Sensitivity: The camera shoots without flash in low light, reducing blur. Any size image available. Sensitivity increased up to ISO 3200.
- Gourmet: Shoots food arrangements in delicious color.
- Pet: Allows you to shoot images of your pet with the best settings.
- Beach: This mode is for shooting at seaside or the lakeside.
- Snow: This mode shoots whitish scenes brightly.
- Fireworks: This mode allows you to record fireworks in all their splendor.
- Advanced Sports Shooting: Allows you to shoot fast movements such as in sports; while the shutter button is pressed halfway, subject motion is predicted and focus is adjusted automatically.
- Intelligent Auto Mode (iAuto): Allows you to shoot still images with the settings adjusted automatically.
- Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and aperture value). You can also select various settings using the menu.
- Manual: You can set the exposure manually. The shutter speed can be set between 1/1600 and 30 seconds. The aperture (F value) can be set between F3.3 and F8.0 (Wide Angle) or between F5.9 and F14 (Telephoto).
- 3D Sweep Panorama Mode: Multiple images are shot while the camera is moving, and these images are compiled into a 3D image.
- Movie Mode: Allows you to record AVCHD or MPEG-4 movies with stereo audio.
Exposure Compensation: Besides auto exposure, you can adjust the exposure from +2.0EV to -2.0EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Built-In Flash: The camera's built-in flash features a range of 9-7/8" to 17' 4-3/4" with the zoom set to wide and 3' 11-1/4" to 9' 6-1/4" with the zoom set to telephoto. The flash settings include:
- Auto: the flash automatically strobes when the surroundings are dark
- On: the flash strobes with every shot
- Slow Synchro: the flash is used regardless of the amount of ambient light, but the shutter speed is slower under dark conditions, allowing you to clearly shoot a background that is out of the flash-lit area.
- Off: the flash does not operate
Red-eye Reduction: The flash pre-strobes before shooting to reduce the red-eye phenomenon. You can set to Auto (when Face Detection is activated), On, or Off.
Metering Modes: You can select Spot, Center-weighted, or Multi-pattern Metering. Spot metering lets you adjust the exposure to the subject, even when the subject is a backlit or when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background. Center-weighted metering measures the center of the image and determines the exposure based on the brightness of the subject. When multi-pattern metering is used, the image is divided into multiple regions and metering is performed in each region. The camera judges the subject position and background brightness, and determines a well-balanced exposure.
White Balance: When the white balance is set to auto, the white balance is set automatically in response to the condition of the subject, and the overall color balance is adjusted. When shooting under special lighting conditions, you can select the settings manually. When using flash, you can select the flash white balance mode. The white balance can also be set to Incandescent, Fluorescent 1 (white fluorescent), Fluorescent 2 (natural white fluorescent), Fluorescent 3 (day white fluorescent), Daylight, Cloudy, One Push (adjust white balance depending on the light source) or One Push Set (memorizes the basic white color which will be used).
Grid Lines: The cameras on-screen grid lines make it easy to set a subject's horizontal and vertical position.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
In-camera Function Guide: An on-screen function guide text/icon display makes it easy to learn the camera functions that give you greater creative freedom to adjust photo settings. The function guide can be turned on or off as desired.
Global Positioning System (GPS): The HX10V has a built-in GPS receiver which receives data from multiple Global Positioning satellites orbiting overhead. With the GPS receiver, precise positioning information, including coordinates, can be displayed on the camera and imbedded into the still images and movies you record. In addition, the GPS receiver can automatically adjust the camera's internal clock.
Date and Time: Each time you take a picture, the camera records the date and time. The date and time are not superimposed on the picture, instead saved in a data file along with the image.
View Modes: The Sony DCR-HX10V's View Mode allows you to select your recorded images and movies by date, folder (stills), or folder (movies).
Auto Orientation: When the camera is rotate to shoot a portrait (vertical) image, the camera records it position change and displays the image in the portrait position.
Index View: In addition to viewing images one-by-one in full screen, you can view multiple images at once in the index view mode. The index feature lets you to display a total of 16 (4 x 4) or 25 (5 x 5) images.
Slide Show: The Slide Show function lets you play back images one after the other. You can select from the following slide show effects (Simple, Nostalgic, Stylish, or Active). Each effect has a preset music soundtrack, or you can choose from the 4 selections. A slide show without music can also be chosen. The interval between the pictures can be adjusted, allowing you to choose 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds or automatic to suit the selected effect. You can select Folder play (all images in the selected folder), All play (all images on the memory card), or This Date (all images from selected date). When repeat is selected, the images are replayed in a continuous loop.
Playback Zoom: You can enlarge a recorded still image up to 8x the size of the original image. Once the image is zoomed, you can pan left to right and up or down through the image.
Rotating Images: Recorded images can be rotated 360-degrees in 90-degree increments on the camera's LCD screen.
Retouching Still Images: You can add effects or make corrections to a recorded images and then record it as a new file while the original image is retained. You can use the following features to edit your recorded images:
- Trimming: playback zoom is performed on the image and part of the image is cropped
- Red Eye Correction: corrects the red-eye phenomenon caused by flash
- Unsharp Masking: sharpens the image within a chosen frame
Deleting/Protecting Images: You can delete a selected image, or you can delete all the unprotected images at once. In order to avoid accidentally deleting of an image, it can be protected.
Print Mark: You can place a print mark on still images recorded with this camera. This mark is convenient when you have images printed at a shop that conforms to the DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) standard.
Battery Information: The DSC-HX10V is powered by the supplied NP-BG1 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, or the optional NP-FG1 Lithium-Ion battery. Using the supplied AC-UB10 battery charger, the battery can be fully charged in approximately 175 minutes. Under normal operating conditions, the battery has the following capacity:
|Function||Battery Life||Number of Images|
|Recording Stills||Approx. 170 min||Approx. 340 images|
|Playback||Approx. 260 min||Approx. 5200 images|
|Recording Movies||Approx. 85 min||---|
Eco Mode: The Eco Mode lets you conserve battery power by turning the screen off or shutting down the camera automatically after a certain period of inactivity. You can choose from two options of Eco Mode: Standard and Max. The Max setting saves battery power better than when set to Standard by turning off the screen or camera sooner.
HDMI: The HX10V has a mini-HDMI (Type C) output on the side of the camera for connecting the camera to an HDTV. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required to make the connection. If you are connecting to a Sony Bravia TV with Bravia Sync, you can control the camera using the TV's remote control. A 3D-capable TV is required for viewing 3D still images or 3D Panorama Sweep images.
micro USB : The camera features a single micro USB jack on the bottom of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable for downloading your photos to your computer or printer, or charging the camera. The interface is USB 2.0 High Speed compatible.
PlayMemories Home: The DSC-HX10V has the following built-in PlayMemories Home software that can be installed on your computer when you connect the camera via USB. With the PlayMemories Home software you can:
- Import and display images recorded on the camera.
- View images in your computer by organizing them by shooting date on a calendar.
- Correct still images (red-eye correction, etc.) print, send images by email, and change shooting date/time.
- Save and print images with the shooting date inserted.
- Import photos and movies recorded with location and shooting direction information to a computer and view them with a map which shows their shooting location.
- Upload images to a network service (internet connection required)
- Create a disc from AVCHD movies imported to a computer.
Note: The "PlayMemories Home" software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP operating systems only. If you wish to play back images on a Mac, you can use applications that are pre-installed on your Mac.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.