Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The ultra-slim DVP-NS575P serves up great Sony performance and features at a great price. Progressive scan gives you a smoother, clearer picture if you're using a High-Definition-ready TV. And even if you aren't yet, you can use the DVP-NS575P's standard mode, then switch to progressive when you upgrade your TV.
Setting up a player can be confusing and time consuming especially for the DVD novice but not with Sony's Quick Setup feature. As soon as you connect the player, the Quick Setup screen appears, ready to guide you through the process, step by step, screen by screen. You'll have the optimum connections and configuration in no time!
With its smooth operation and dependable disc-reading ability, this Sony stands out from the crowd of budget players and "no-name" brands. Its robust Precision Drive 3 laser mechanism eliminates nearly all playback errors due to scratched, warped, or otherwise imperfect DVD discs. You'll enjoy a flawless picture on disc after disc even heavily played rental discs.
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and Video CD
- plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
- plays digital photo CDs (JPEG)
- 54MHz/12-bit video DAC
- selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive-scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
- de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- Instant Replay
- TV Virtual Surround for enhanced sound from TV speakers
- coaxial digital output for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- 1 set of A/V outputs (composite, S-video and 480i/480p component video)
- multibrand remote (operates most TVs)
- 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
- 16-15/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 10-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DVP-NS575P Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
A Big Thumbs Up for the Sony DVP-NS575! I purchased this unit a few weeks ago to replace my aging Toshiba SD-2800. Although the Toshiba worked great for 2 solid years, it recently developed a bad habit of video freeze-ups and broken playback, particularly on backups of my young son's "kid" dvds; it had played them fine originally.
Anyway, the Sony 575 has played any type of disc I've tried - with one exception - a dvd+rw filled with MP3's. It will play a cd-rw filled with MP3's, but not a DVD. No big deal, I only use them for file backups anyway. All other types of discs it plays just fine, without issue...including all of the discs the Toshiba used to choke on.
The set-up was quick and easy, although you will probably need to read the manual to get the dolby digital & DTS output configured correctly. Once that was completed, all was well.
The manual is decent, and the on-screen setup and menus are easy to use also. The unit itself is very small, you should be able to fit it in almost any cabinet.
If you aren't concerned with the lack of SACD or DVD-audio, you can't go wrong with this little unit. All in all, a GREAT player for $79.
What's in the box?
- Silver single DVD/Audio CD player
- RMT-D165A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 46" Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- "Note on Playing Audio Tracks and Images as a Slideshow with Sound" sheet
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Precision Drive 3 System: Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 3 improves over last years Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 54MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital outputs. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is only output as 48kHz/16-bit.
Progressive Scan Output: Progressive-scan video has less flicker and fewer motion artifacts than the traditional interlaced-scanning method, resulting in a superior picture. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or one of the following Progressive modes:
- Progressive Video: optimizes output for video-based software
- Progressive Auto: When this setting is chosen, the unit will automatically detect if you are playing video-based or film-based software and convert the signal using the appropriate setting.
Note: To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with component video inputs that supports the progressive scanning mode.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums and each album can have a maximum of 300 files.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. JPEG files up to 3072 x 2048 in Normal mode, and Progressive JPEGs with up to 3.3 million dots are supported. The following functions are available during JPEG disc playback: slideshow (with or without audio), zoom (2x, 4x), and image rotation, which allows you to rotate the current image 90-degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.
Slideshow Playback: The DVP-NS575P lets you display images in a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder. During a slideshow, you can adjust the amount of time each image is displayed. You can choose one of the following duration settings: Normal (6 seconds), Fast (3 seconds), Slow 1 (12 seconds), or Slow 2 (30 seconds). In addition, you can select one of the following effects to be used when viewing a slideshow:
- Mode 1: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 2: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 3: image stretches out from the center of the screen
- Mode 4: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 5: next image slides over the previous image
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 subscreens and find the desired scene quickly.
Title/Chapter and Track Viewer: This feature allows you to view pictures of the disc's titles, chapters or tracks on a single screen divided into 9 sections and start playback from the chosen title, chapter or track.
Resume Play: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you play the same disc. The resume playback point is cleared when the power cord is disconnected or the tray is opened. For MP3 discs and JPEG discs, the point is also cleared when the unit enters standby mode.
Multi-disc Resume: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. This feature can only be used with DVDs and Video CDs.
Instant Replay: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 40 discs.
Display Dimmer: The display illumination can be set to Bright or Dark.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a CD or MP3 CD for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Black Level: You can set the black level for the video signals output from the composite and S-Video jacks.
- Black Level (Component Out): You can separately set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks. This function is not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal.
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.