Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Here's your chance to own the industry's "reference standard" DVD player while saving $300! Owners of Sony's DVP-S7700 rave about its superb build quality this single-disc player weighs as much as some mega changers! Special materials and construction are used to isolate the playback system from external vibrations and internal resonances. Once the sexy sliding front panel locks in place after a disc is loaded, you'll never hear the disc spinning during quiet passages the way you sometimes can with budget players.
Sony's Dual Discrete optical pickup actually uses two lasers, one optimized for DVD playback and one for CDs. DVD picture quality is beautifully filmlike; the bigger your TV screen, the more you'll appreciate it. The DVP-S7700 has much of the same CD circuitry found in Sony's ES CD players; its audiophile-quality sound beats many high-end CD-only players. Everyday use is a pleasure thanks to smooth, precise operation and an exceptionally well designed remote control.
- Dual Discrete laser pickup
- aluminum front panel
- copper-plated chassis
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs and audio CD-Rs
- SmoothScan search
- SmoothSlow forward/reverse
- Digital Video Noise Reduction
- variable-coefficient digital filter
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite video, 2 S-video, and 1 component video)
- headphone jack with volume control
- Sony Control S jack
- remote with jog/shuttle dial, fluorescent buttons and multibrand TV/receiver control
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
- 17"W x 4-7/16"H x 14-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DVP-S7700 Reviews
What's in the box?
- DVD/CD/Video CD player; RMT-D107A wireless remote with 2 "AA" batteries; 56" S-Link patchcord (Mono-minijack); 5' gold-plated S-Video patchcord; 56" gold plated stereo RCA patchcord; 56" gold plated composite video (RCA) patch cord; Manual (English and French); Warranty card; Safeguards; Owner registration card
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Composite Video Outputs||2|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Software Offers: Please check the product description page for details about any special software sale or rental offers that may be in effect.
This unit can play the following discs:
- 5" single sided 1 layer or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs (NTSC, regional code 1)
- 5" double sided 1 layer or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs (NTSC, regional code 1)
- 3" single or double sided, 1 or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs (NTSC, regional code 1)
- 5" or 3" audio CD
- 5" or 3" Video CD Version 1.1 discs (without PBC functions) and Version 2.0 discs (with PBC interactive functions)
24-bit/96kHz Capability: This unit is capable of playing audio DVDs containing 24-bit linear PCM information with a sampling rate of 96kHz. However, the signal from the digital outs (both Toslink and Coax) will be converted to 48 kHz/16 bits.
Dual Discrete Lasers: This unit uses one laser optimized for CDs and another for DVDs for the best possible playback of either source. Therefore, it will play most CD-Rs. However, this unit cannot play CD-RWs.
CD-ROM: Unit cannot play CD-ROMs, including Photo CDs.
For home theater sound, it can also, of course, be used with any home theater receiver.
For high quality video and digital sound, this unit can be used with any television with RCA audio and video inputs.
- DVD (PCM96kHz): 2 Hz to 44 kHz +/-0.5 dB
- DVD (PCM48kHz): 2 Hz to 22 kHz +/-0.5dB
- CD: 2 Hz to 20 kHz +/-0.5 dB
Harmonic Distortion: Less than .0025%
Dynamic Range: More than 100 dB for DVD. More than 97dB for CD.
Macrovision Copy Protection: Prohibits
hooking this unit through a VCR. Will distort the picture when a Macrovision encoded DVD
is played, so the TV which is being used must have a video input jack.
Motorized Front Lid: Covers secondary
transport controls and mid mounted disc tray.
Audio Priority Feature: Allows Dolby Digital audio track to be automatically selected.
Resume Playback: Allows you to resume playback of a DVD or CD from where you last stopped. Possible as long as the DVD or CD has not been removed form player, even if you turned power off.
Pause: In DVD mode, the still picture is detailed and virtually noise-free.
Smooth Scan Picture Search: uses a 32-bit RISC processor to achieve high quality viewing in high speed, slow speed, and frame by frame in both forward and reverse with almost no pixilization. The speeds are FF2 (30X); FF1 (10X), X2, Normal play, Slow 1 and slow 2, any of these speeds can be selected in forward or reverse direction. Note that audio will still be heard through the analog output at a lower volume.
Exclusive Sony MPEG-2 decoder.
Video Digital to Analog Converter: Uses 10-bit, 27MHz conversion for better rendering of dark-to-light gradations.
Bit Rate Meter: Lets you monitor the average bit-rate level on a DVD.
Screen Saver Function: If left in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes a screen saver image appears. This function can be turned off.
Display: The front panel display can be set
to bright, dim or off.
R-Core Transformer: reduces hum.
Digital Signal Processor Servo: Speeds chapter and track access up to 20%.
Variable Coefficient Digital Filter: Allows you to optimize sound quality by selecting sharp or slow.
Glass Epoxy Audio Circuit and Copper Traces
Digital Video Noise Reduction: Uses field memory for clearing video noise. You can select from one of three levels or off.
Construction: Aluminum front panel , copper-plated chassis and Bulk Molding Compound base and disc tray to suppress resonance, flex and interference for the best possible sound.
- OSD: Can select on screen display language (English, Spanish or French)
- DVD Menu: Can select language for DVD menu (Of course, this only works if the DVD has that language recorded)
- Audio: Can select default DVD language.
- Subtitle: Can select subtitle language or "audio follow" which changes subtitle language to match audio track.
- TV Type: Can select 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan & Scan or 16:9 for wide screen.
- Auto Play: Allows you to play back using an external audio timer or 1 of 2 demos. This feature is defeatable.
- Dimmer: Can set unit's display dim, bright or off.
- Background: Can set background color to blue or black.
- Screensaver: Can turn on or off.
- Parental Control: Allows you to enter a 4 digit password to limit playback level on DVDs which support parental controls.
- Track Selection: Can give priority to the Dolby Digital audio track with the largest number of channels. This feature is defeatable.
- Surround: Switches the mixing method so that the unit sounds better when used with a Pro Logic receiver. You can turn feature off if for normal stereo operation.
- Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): When selected, it compresses dynamic range (on DVDs which support this feature) to prevent extreme volume swings.
- Audio ATT: When on is selected the analog audio line out levels are lowered to prevent distortion.
- Audio Filter: Allows you to select the type of digital filter used when playing back discs. You can select Sharp (this is the normal mode which does not affect the sound quality) or Slow which will make the sound a bit warmer and deeper. This effect is extremely subtle.
- Digital Out: Can select on or off. Off turns off the digital outputs (both coax and Toslink) and is used to prevent any possible interference from these outputs when you are using the analog outputs. Note that selecting Off will prevent you from using the Digital outputs and keep you from using Dolby Digital, PCM Digital or DTS.
- Dolby Digital: Allows you to select:
- D-PCM (Down mix PCM) which down mixes Dolby Digital soundtracks to 2 PCM channels for better sound when using a Dolby Pro Logic receiver which has a digital input.
- Dolby Digital which provides a Dolby Digital bit stream for use with a Dolby Digital Receiver.
- DTS: Can select off (when the receiver has no DTS decoding) or on (when connected to a receiver with DTS decoding). Note that when using a DTS DVD there will be no sound output from the player's analog or headphone output.
- Digital Out: Can select PCM, or Dolby Digital/PCM which automatically switches depending on software. It is important to select the correct setting to prevent lack of sound or damage to your speakers.
RMT-D107A remote control is included.
Display: Features phosphorescent (green) keys that glow in the dark for principal functions (numeric keypad, transport controls, television channel +/- and volume +/- and AV volume and muting).
Multi-brand Remote: For televisions (you can control power; channel entry, entry, volume and channel +/- and Television input source) and AV receivers (it allows you to control the volume of the receiver and muting). Note that all functions will not operate with all models.
Jog/Shuttle Dial (on the remote only): Allows you to access the various picture search functions and to move frame by frame (jog function).
The unit can control the following television brands:
|Fisher||General Electric||Gold Star||Hitachi|
The unit can control the following AV receiver brands:
- Headphone jack: Gold plated standard size headphone jack with rotary variable level control. Note that this output is muted during DTS playback.
- Component Video output: One component video output composed of three gold plated RCA type jacks: Y; Pb/B-Y; Pr/R-Y.
- Audio/Video Outputs: 2 Sets of gold plated RCA stereo audio, composite video and S-Video outputs. Labled Audio/video 1 and 2.
- Toslink Digital Audio Output: Has a plastic cover; used for PCM; Dolby Digital and DTS digital output.
- Coax digital Audio Output: Gold plated coaxial digital output for PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS digital output.
- S-Link Control-in Input: Mono mini-jack input for use with Sony S-Link cord. One S-Link cable is included.