Software Offers: Please check the
product description page for details about any special software sale or rental offers that
may be in effect.
This unit can play the following discs:
- 5" single sided 1 layer or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs (NTSC,
regional code 1)
- 5" double sided 1 layer or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs
(NTSC, regional code 1)
- 3" single or double sided, 1 or 2 layer Dolby Digital and DTS DVDs (NTSC,
regional code 1)
- 5" or 3" audio CD
- 5" or 3" Video CD Version 1.1 discs (without PBC functions) and Version 2.0 discs (with PBC interactive functions)
24-bit/96kHz Capability: This
unit is capable of playing audio DVDs containing 24-bit linear PCM information with a
sampling rate of 96kHz. However, the signal from the digital
outs (both Toslink and Coax) will be converted to 48 kHz/16 bits.
Dual Discrete Lasers: This unit
uses one laser optimized for CDs and another for DVDs for the best possible playback of
either source. Therefore, it will play most CD-Rs. However, this unit cannot
CD-ROM: Unit cannot play
CD-ROMs, including Photo CDs.
For home theater sound, it can also, of
course, be used with any home theater receiver.
For high quality video and digital sound, this
unit can be used with any television with RCA audio and video inputs.
- DVD (PCM96kHz): 2 Hz to 44 kHz +/-0.5 dB
- DVD (PCM48kHz): 2 Hz to 22 kHz +/-0.5dB
- CD: 2 Hz to 20 kHz +/-0.5 dB
Harmonic Distortion: Less than .0025%
Dynamic Range: More than 100 dB for DVD.
More than 97dB for CD.
Macrovision Copy Protection: Prohibits
hooking this unit through a VCR. Will distort the picture when a Macrovision encoded DVD
is played, so the TV which is being used must have a video input jack.
Motorized Front Lid: Covers secondary
transport controls and mid mounted disc tray.
Audio Priority Feature: Allows Dolby Digital audio track to be
Resume Playback: Allows you to resume playback of a DVD or CD from where
you last stopped. Possible as long as the DVD or CD has not been removed form player, even
if you turned power off.
Pause: In DVD mode, the still picture is detailed and virtually
Smooth Scan Picture Search: uses a 32-bit RISC processor to achieve high
quality viewing in high speed, slow speed, and frame by frame in both forward and reverse
with almost no pixilization. The speeds are FF2 (30X); FF1 (10X), X2, Normal play, Slow 1
and slow 2, any of these speeds can be selected in forward or reverse direction. Note that
audio will still be heard through the analog output at a lower volume.
Exclusive Sony MPEG-2 decoder.
Video Digital to Analog Converter: Uses 10-bit, 27MHz conversion for
better rendering of dark-to-light gradations.
Bit Rate Meter: Lets you monitor the average bit-rate level on a DVD.
Screen Saver Function: If left in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes a
screen saver image appears. This function can be turned off.
Display: The front panel display can be set
to bright, dim or off.
R-Core Transformer: reduces hum.
Digital Signal Processor Servo: Speeds
chapter and track access up to 20%.
Variable Coefficient Digital Filter: Allows
you to optimize sound quality by selecting sharp or slow.
Glass Epoxy Audio Circuit and Copper Traces
Digital Video Noise Reduction: Uses field
memory for clearing video noise. You can select from one of three levels or off.
Construction: Aluminum front panel ,
copper-plated chassis and Bulk Molding Compound base and disc tray to suppress resonance,
flex and interference for the best possible sound.
- OSD: Can select on screen display language
(English, Spanish or French)
- DVD Menu: Can select language for DVD menu
(Of course, this only works if the DVD has that language recorded)
- Audio: Can select default DVD language.
- Subtitle: Can select subtitle language or
"audio follow" which changes subtitle language to match audio track.
- TV Type: Can select 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan
& Scan or 16:9 for wide screen.
- Auto Play: Allows you to play back using an
external audio timer or 1 of 2 demos. This feature is defeatable.
- Dimmer: Can set unit's display dim, bright or
- Background: Can set background color to blue
- Screensaver: Can turn on or off.
- Parental Control: Allows you to enter a 4
digit password to limit playback level on DVDs which support parental controls.
- Track Selection: Can give priority to the
Dolby Digital audio track with the largest number of channels. This feature is defeatable.
- Surround: Switches the mixing method so that
the unit sounds better when used with a Pro Logic receiver. You can turn feature off if
for normal stereo operation.
- Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): When
selected, it compresses dynamic range (on DVDs which support this feature) to prevent
extreme volume swings.
- Audio ATT: When on is selected the analog
audio line out levels are lowered to prevent distortion.
- Audio Filter: Allows you to select the type
of digital filter used when playing back discs. You can select Sharp (this is the normal
mode which does not affect the sound quality) or Slow which will make the sound a bit
warmer and deeper. This effect is extremely subtle.
- Digital Out: Can select on or off. Off
turns off the digital outputs (both coax and Toslink) and is used to prevent any possible
interference from these outputs when you are using the analog outputs. Note that selecting
Off will prevent you from using the Digital outputs and keep you from using Dolby Digital,
PCM Digital or DTS.
- Dolby Digital: Allows you to select:
- D-PCM (Down mix PCM) which down mixes Dolby Digital
soundtracks to 2 PCM channels for better sound when using a Dolby Pro Logic receiver which
has a digital input.
- Dolby Digital which provides a Dolby Digital bit stream for
use with a Dolby Digital Receiver.
- DTS: Can select off (when the receiver has no
DTS decoding) or on (when connected to a receiver with DTS decoding). Note that when
using a DTS DVD there will be no sound output from the player's analog or headphone
- Digital Out: Can select PCM, or Dolby
Digital/PCM which automatically switches depending on software. It is important to select
the correct setting to prevent lack of sound or damage to your speakers.
RMT-D107A remote control is included.
Display: Features phosphorescent (green)
keys that glow in the dark for principal functions (numeric keypad, transport controls,
television channel +/- and volume +/- and AV volume and muting).
Multi-brand Remote: For televisions (you can
control power; channel entry, entry, volume and channel +/- and Television input source)
and AV receivers (it allows you to control the volume of the receiver and
muting). Note that all functions will not operate with all models.
Jog/Shuttle Dial (on the remote
only): Allows you to access the various picture search functions and to move
frame by frame (jog function).
The unit can control the following television brands:
The unit can control the following AV receiver
- Headphone jack: Gold plated standard size
headphone jack with rotary variable level control. Note that this output is muted
during DTS playback.
- Component Video output: One component video
output composed of three gold plated RCA type jacks: Y; Pb/B-Y; Pr/R-Y.
- Audio/Video Outputs: 2 Sets of gold plated RCA stereo
audio, composite video and S-Video outputs. Labled Audio/video 1 and 2.
- Toslink Digital Audio Output: Has a plastic
cover; used for PCM; Dolby Digital and DTS digital output.
- Coax digital Audio Output: Gold plated
coaxial digital output for PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS digital output.
- S-Link Control-in Input: Mono mini-jack input
for use with Sony S-Link cord. One S-Link cable is included.