Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Experience clear, detailed DVD playback with the Sony DVP-NS77H. This slim player upconverts DVD video signals to near-HD quality and sends them to your compatible HDTV via a digital HDMI connection. It can even output video at top-of-the-line 1080p resolution, for a vibrant, lifelike picture with the latest 1080p-capable TVs. Plus, the 'NS77H also has conventional analog video connections, so you can enjoy a great DVD picture on just about any television.
Like all of Sony's DVD players, the 'NS77H includes error correction circuitry that improves the playback of warped discs. And Sony's BRAVIA® Theatre Sync simplifies your home theater by giving you one-button control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection.
- digital video upconversion
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI digital interface (separate adapter available for TVs with DVI input)
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- Precision Drive 3 error correction circuitry
- Precision Cinema Progressive Technology-2 reduces motion artifacts with progressive scan images
- BRAVIA Theatre Sync remote control networking system (HDMI-CEC)
- lip-sync correction
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- 1 set of audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, 480i/480p component video, and HDMI)
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, and DVD+Rs & DVD+RWs
- plays CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- 108MHz/12-bit video DAC
- 16-15/16"W x 1-11/16"H x 9-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DVP-NS77H Reviews
Average Customer Review:
It work,s as well as it look,s
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I bought this dvd Player thinking it would just be a extra dvd player
to have around I liked all the output,s I liked the remote this unit has
exceeded my expectation,s Im using it as my main UPconvert Player.
Do not question this player it even playes most scratched dvd,s that
other dvd player,s wont. they Lock up or glitch. and when I tryed
real badly damaged dvd,s it smothly coverd it up very well. I hope this
help,s the person wanting a dvd player.
No need for BLu-Ray!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ok, if you need more clarity than this provides then you like your movies to
look unrealistic, BLu ray players are amazing, but I bet you if you were to
watch a DVD with this upconvert player set to 1080i (thats right not 1080P)
on my Panasonic 50" Plasma, you would agree there is no need for more
clarity! Absolutely stunning picture. I went with the Crutchfield Tech guys
recommendation and this DVD player is awesome. I spent a total of $2500
(including HDMI cables) on my Home theatre including 50" panasonic
plasma, Onkyo SR605 receiver, polk audio speakers, Onkyo Ipod dock, and
this great Sony DVD upconvert player and WOW if you went to one of the
big chain stores I would
have spent $4000 love my home theatre. There is a reason this item is
currently out of stock here at Crutchfield, its that good! Great picture
quality! I recommend watching Disneys "the Incredibles" on this player and
you will be amazed at how clear a regular DVD can be, like I said no need
for a $400 Blu Ray player and $30 a peice Blue Ray disc, this upconvert DVD
player is all you need!
Great player for the interm...
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This dvd player performs well on my 56" JVC 1080p television. Hooked up hdmi and ran test discs to calibrate, and performs well considering the pricepoint of this player. Also used some good reference material for testing. The 'upconversion' makes standard dvd appear 'sharper' to look at on a large display. Though...it is not HD, it will do good enough for now...until there is a HD standard for players worked out. Buy this and save the extra dough for when the HD standard is figured out - and then spend it on that player! Crutchfield was great as usual...support, shipping, etc.
You can't beat it for the price!
This unit was purchased to support the Sony 46" XBR4 LCD TV. I had an "old" Sony multi-disc DVD player (component video) interfaced with an "old" Sony surround sound system. Both are 4+ years old.
I did my homework: I first researched the Blu-Ray "world" and opted not to play. That "world" equated to the Sony Playstation 3 being the best available. I don't "do" TV games so the extra price tag wasn't an option.
Then, I researched the up-converter "world" of players. This unit stood out amongst all of them, as it "synced" to my Sony XBR4 Theater system. That means, the XBR recognizes the player's presence when loading a DVD and automatically switches to the input signal. No remote pushbuttons to push. I "do" automatic.
Will it do "automatic" for a non-Sony TV? Don't know.
Of note, the much needed HDMI cable is expensive. Buy it. End of story.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This DVD player is a great alternative to a HD or Blu-ray player. Upconversion to 1080p is excellent. You do have to buy HDMI cable to take advantage of upconversion capability however. I highly recommend this DVD player. For $99 you cannot beat it. Easy set-up and use.
What's in the box?
- Black single DVD/CD player
- RMT-D175A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 46" Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions (English/Spanish)
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Precision Drive 3 System: Precision Drive 3 reduces errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/16-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital output. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is output as 48kHz/16-bit.
Precision Cinema Progressive Technology-2: Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects image changes at the Pixel level. As a result, the picture is more faithful to the source; whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing Pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or one of the following Progressive modes:
- Progressive Video: optimizes output for video-based software
- Progressive Auto: When this setting is chosen, the unit will automatically detect if you are playing video-based or film-based software and convert the signal using the appropriate setting.
Note: To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with a component video input that supports progressive scanning.
HDMI Output With Video Upscaling: The DVP-NS77H reads the data on a standard DVD disc at 480P and maximizes the video resolution to best fit your HDMI compatible TV. This unit can upscale a standard DVD 480p video signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p through its HDMI output. This allows for you to enjoy the best in video performance while delivering digital video and audio over one simple cable.
Bravia Theater Sync: When this unit is connected by HDMI to a select number of Sony BRAVIA televisions and other Sony audio and video components, in addition to audio and video transmission, will transmit control functions via the HDMI cable. Control functions such as "One Touch Play or System-Power Off" operations that took several steps have been reduced to one. By pressing the PLAY button on the DVD player's remote, watch your Sony A/V component(s) turn on, then your Sony BRAVIA television turn on and switch to the correct video input. By pressing the Power-off button on the DVD player's remote you can turn all of your HDMI connected Sony Bravia components off at once.
DVD/CD Playback: The Sony DVP-NS77H can play back the following discs.
- DVD Discs: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW/R DL
- CD Discs: Music CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats, and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums of 300 files each.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Images can be rotated in 90°steps and zoomed to twice or four times their original size. You can change pictures manually, or automatically using the Slide Show feature.
Note: This unit is also compatible with KODAK Picture CDs.
Slideshow Playback With Sound: The DVP-NS77H lets you display images as a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder or you can use one of the player's pre-recorded background sounds. During a slideshow, you can adjust the amount of time each image is displayed; choose Normal (6 to 9 seconds), Fast (shorter than Normal), Slow 1 (longer than Normal), or Slow 2 (longer than Slow 1). Additionally you can select one of the following transition effects:
- Mode 1: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 2: next image slides over the previous image
- Mode 3: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 4: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 5: images stretches out from the center of the screen
- Off: turns off this feature
Data CDs/Data DVD Playback: You can play back Data CDs or Data DVDs recorded in MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer III) and JPEG format. However, this player only plays Data CDs whose logical format is ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2 or Joliet, and Data DVDs of Universal Disk Format (UDF).
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: allows you to adjust the contrast, brightness, color, and hue individually
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers; either with a stereo receiver or directly from the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic Theater: uses sound imaging to create a large set of virtual rear speakers and a virtual subwoofer; effective when the front speakers are close together, like the TV's speakers
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers; also effective when the front speakers are close together
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create five pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when the front speakers are close together
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create three pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when using separate front speakers that are farther apart
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): The dynamic range is lowered so the dialogue stays clear without dynamic bursts of special effects; choose Standard (DRC off), TV Mode, or Wide Range. Audio DRC can be used with any DVD.
A/V Sync: This feature allows for the alignment of the audio track to match the video which is necessary for some new televisions that buffer or delay video.
Fast/Slow Playback With Sound: This feature lets you listen to dialogue or sound while playing a scene quickly or slowly. This function is only compatible with DVDs, Video CDs or Super VCDs.
Note: This feature does not work when playing DTS sound tracks.
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 sub-screens to find a desired scene quickly.
Multi-disc Resume: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. This feature can only be used with DVDs and Video CDs.
Instant Replay: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again.
- TV Type: selects the aspect ratio of the player's video output to match your connected TV; you can choose from 16:9 Wide Screen, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan Scan.
- HDMI Resolution: selects the type of video signals output from the unit's HDMI out jack to match the resolution of your connected TV; you can select from the following - 1920 x 1080i, 1280 x 720p, or 720 x 480p, or Auto.
- Screen Saver: On or Off; the screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes or when you play back a disc without video for more than 15 minutes
- Background: select the background in stop mode or while playing a CD or an MP3 disc; choose Jacket Picture (shows the jacket picture if supported by the disc), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black)
- Black Level: set the black level for the video signals output from the composite Video jack
- Black Level (Component Out): set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks (not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal)
- 4:3 Output: adjust this setting to watch a 4:3 aspect ratio movie when you have selected 16:9 as the video output TV Type for this player; you can choose from Full (stretches 4:3 image to fill screen) or Normal (black bands on left and right side screen)
- Auto Power Off: On or Off; the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes
- Auto Play: useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included); when Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on
- Display Dimmer: The display illumination can be set to Bright, Dark or Auto.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode
- Track Selection (DVD only): select Auto or Off; when Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the most channels
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to restrict playback of up to 40 specific discs.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
DVD/TV Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.