Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's DAV-HDX285 home theater system will look and sound great in your living room. It combines five gloss-black speakers and a subwoofer to add engaging surround sound to movies, TV shows, and music. The built-in five-disc changer can play all your favorite DVDs and CDs, and can also upconvert standard DVDs to 1080p resolution through its HDMI output, for an outstanding picture with your HDMI-equipped HDTV.
Dock your iPod and browse your tunes
Place your iPod® into the included dock, and you can listen to your tunes through the 'HDX285's speakers and watch videos stored on your iPod on your TV. You even get basic control using the system's remote. You can also enjoy music from the 'HDX285 in other rooms of your home by adding optional Sony AIR-SA10 wireless powered speakers.
Easy automatic setup
Sony's auto calibration technology makes it a snap to adjust the surround sound settings to match your specific room and furnishings. Simply place the included microphone in your favorite listening position, and the system optimizes speaker distance and delay settings in only about 30 seconds. An easy setup disc includes helpful prompts to guide you through the process.
- home theater system with 5-disc DVD/CD changer/receiver, 5 speakers, and subwoofer
- includes Sony iPod dock for audio and video playback
- compatible with Sony AIR-SA10 wireless powered speaker for easy multi-room sound (up to 10 speakers)
- wireless speaker playback requires optional transmitter, sold separately
- digital video upconversion for DVD playback
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD+/-Rs & DVD+/-RWs
- plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, MP3 CDs and SACDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic® II processing, for surround sound from DVD, VHS, and stereo sources
- 6-channel amplifier (144 watts x 5 for speakers, and 280 watts for subwoofer)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration
- includes easy setup DVD
- digital tuner with 30 AM/FM station presets
- proprietary Digital Media Port with music booster for included iPod dock, optional wireless PC music player, or other accessories
- analog audio input
- coaxial and optical digital audio inputs
- front-panel minijack audio input
- video output for TV (composite, component, HDMI)
- remote control
- speaker wire and subwoofer cables included
- DVD player/receiver: 17"W x 3-3/8"H x 17-3/8"D
- 2 front speakers: 4-1/16"W x 8-3/4"H x 3-5/16"D (each)
- center channel speaker: 10-1/4"W x 3-11/16"H x 3-15/16"D
- 2 rear speakers: 4-1/16"W x 6-7/16"H x 3-9/16"D (each)
- subwoofer: 8-11/16"W x 15-7/16"H x 12-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Sony DAV-HDX285 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Awesome Surround Sound System
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This system works perfectly with our SONY Bravia TV and provides great sound for our small living room. It sure puts a whole new perspective on 'sound', vs. the tiny speakers inside the flatscreen TV, especially the bass sound. The packaging of this product is outstanding. The service Crutchfield provides for any questions you might have is exceptional and makes setting up this sytem pain free. My husband and I would recommend this product to anyone that wants a basic surround sound system at a great price point! This is our first surround sound system, and after doing research, we are happy to have selected the HDX285 5.1 Channel Theatre System. The 5-CD changer is a bonus.
Please note the receiver is deep at about 16-17 inches so be sure you have ample space for it.
What's in the box?
- HCD-HDX285 DVD receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-ADU007A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- TDM-iP20 Digital Media Port iPod Adapter with attached 38" media port adapter cable
- 2 Front speakers (SS-TS94)
- Center speaker (SS-CT91)
- 2 Surround speakers (SS-TS92)
- Subwoofer (SS-WS95)
- Three 10' length of 22-gauge speaker wire with color-coded connector on one end (fronts/subwoofer)
- One 6.5' length of 22-gauge speaker wire with color-coded connector on one end (center)
- Two 32.25' lengths of 22-gauge speaker wire with color-coded connector on one end (surround left/right)
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber foot pads
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- AM loop antenna
- Calibration microphone with attached 18' cord (terminates in a 3.5mm mini-plug)
- 4' Composite video cord (with male RCA plugs on each end)
- Setup Disc (DVD-video)
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide
- Digital Media Port Adapter Operating Instructions (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Online Product Registration sheet
- Limited Warranty information
System Overview: The Sony DAV-HDX285 is an integrated 5.1ch home theater system which includes an integrated 5-disc DVD/CD-changer receiver, and a 6-piece speaker system which includes two front speakers, a center-channel speaker, two surround speakers, and a passive subwoofer. In addition, the system includes the TDM-iP20 Digital Media Port iPod Adapter which allows you to connect your iPod to the system. The supplied remote control can control this unit, plus a Sony TV.
Disc Changer System: The DVD changer section of the integrated receiver/DVD changer consists of a playing unit and a 5 CD-changer stocker, which transports the discs to the disc slot and playing unit. When discs are not being played, they are stored in the stocker.
Disc Playback: This unit will playback the following disc types - DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R/RW, DVD-ROM, Video CD, Super VCD, SACD, CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-ROM.
SACD Playback: Super Audio CD is a high-quality audio disc standard where music is recorded in the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) format (conventional CD is record in the PCM format). The DSD format, using a sampling frequency 64 times higher than that of a conventional CD, and with 1-bit quantization, achieves both a wide frequency range and a wide dynamic range across the audible frequency, and thus provides music reproduction extremely faithful to the original sound.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 (32-320kbps) files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-ROM discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, Joliet (CD) or Universal Disc Format (DVD) formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 150 albums and each album can have a maximum of 200 tracks.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-ROM discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, Joliet (CD) or Universal Disc Format (DVD) formats. All JPEG files on a disc can be played back in a slide show. Additionally, you can rotate any selected image in 90° increments. The maximum JPEG resolution supported is 1920 x 1080 pixels. Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums and each album can have a maximum of 150 images.
DivX Playback: You can play DivX video files and MPEG4 video files up to 720 x 576 pixels or 2GB in size.
PBC Playback (Ver.20.0): With PBC (Playback Control) functions, you can enjoy simple interactive operations, search functions and other such operations. PBC playback allows you to play a Video CD interactively by following the menu on your connected TV screen.
HDMI Output With 1080p Upscaling: The DVD audio and video signals can be up-converted and output through the HDMI jack. The HDMI output can be set to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p.
Progressive Scan Output: This unit may be set to output a progressive scan or interlaced video signal from the component video output. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires a TV with a progressive scan compatible component video or HDMI input.
Video Monitor Outputs: You can connect your TV to the system via composite, component video, or HDMI cables, depending upon the type of video input on the TV. The component video jacks can output a progressive signal for a better picture if the connected TV is compatible with HDTV signals. The HDMI output can be set to output a 1080p,1080i, 720p, or 480p video signal. You can select the aspect ratio of the unit's monitor output to match your television's screen size. You can choose from 16:9 Wide, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan Scan. When you use a 16:9 aspect ratio TV, you can adjust the aspect ratio to watch 4:3 aspect ratio video signals. You can choose from Full or Normal. You can also adjust the black level of the unit's component video and HDMI output.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: This unit is powered by the S-Master Full Digital Amplifier. It is designed to be highly efficient, producing minimal heat, while taking up 1/4 of the space of conventional amplifiers.
Auto Calibration: The receiver is equipped with an Auto Calibration function to achieve ideal surround sound settings for your room. With the included microphone placed at the listening position, Sony's DSP automatically analyzes speaker placement and sets the delay times and output levels. The microphone has a threaded insert on the bottom so it's compatible with a tripod. Speakers configuration, speaker distances and output levels can also be manually set.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Auto Format Direct Standard: Presents sound as it was recorded/encoded.
- Auto Format Direct Multi: Sound that is recorded in 2 channel (front left and right channel) is assigned to the surround left and right channel. This mode outputs sound from the front left and right speakers, surround left and right speakers an subwoofer. The center speaker does not output any sound.
- Dolby Pro Logic: Performs Pro Logic decoding to the input signal and simulates surround sound from 2 channels sources. This mode outputs sound from all the speakers and subwoofer.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music: Performs Pro Logic II music mode decoding to the input signal and produces five full-bandwidth output channels from 2 channels sources. This setting is ideal for normal stereo sources such as a CD. this mode outputs sound from all the speakers and the subwoofer.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Movie: Performs Pro Logic II music mode decoding to the input signal and produces five full-bandwidth output channels from 2 channels sources. This setting is ideal for watching videos of overdubbed or old movies. This mode outputs sound from all the speakers and the subwoofer.
- Dolby Digital: In this format, the surround speakers output stereo sound with an expanded frequency range and a subwoofer channel for deep bass is independently provided. All six channels in this format are recorded separately for superior channel separation.
- DTS: This format comprises of stereo rear channel and there is a discrete subwoofer channel in this format. DTS provides the same 5.1 discrete channels of high quality digital audio.
- 2-Channel Stereo: In addition to the surround modes, you can select the 2-Channel Stereo mode. This mode outputs the sound from the front left and right speakers and subwoofer only. Standard stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are down-mixed to two channels.
- Headphone Virtual Theater: Outputs the sound a surround from headphone left and right. This mode is effective only when a multi-channel source is played.
- Headphone 2-Channel Stereo: Outputs the sound from the left and right. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.
Dynamic Bass: This feature reinforces the system's bass frequency output.
Audio DRC: You can compress the dynamic range of a sound track for watching movies at low volume late at night.
Night Mode: This function allows you to enjoy sound effect or dialogue, as you would in a movie theater, even at low volume.
Volume Limiter: You can limit the maximum volume level of the system. It can be set to one of 4 different levels (1, 2, 3, Off).
A/V Sync: When the sound does not match pictures on the screen, you can adjust the delay between the picture and sound.
Dual Mono: You can enjoy multiplex broadcast sound when the system receives or plays the Dolby Digital multiplex broadcast signal. To receive the Dolby Digital signal, you need to connect a TV or other component to the unit with an optical or coaxial digital cable and set the digital output mode of the TV or other component to Dolby Digital.
Preset Label: You can store up to 20 FM and 10 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. You can assign a name for each preset. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 9kHz or 10kHz steps.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of 10 DVDs from the point where you last stopped, even if you remove the disc from the player. The stopping point is cleared from memory if you press the Stop button a second time.
Program Play: You can play the contents of a disc in the order you want by arranging the order of the tracks on the disc to create your own program. You can program up to 99 tracks.
Parental Control: Playback of some DVD Videos can be limited according to a predetermined level such as the age of the users. Scenes may be blocked or replaced with different scenes. You can set the playback restriction by registering a 4-digit password. Once you register this password, you need to enter the password to play a restricted disc.
Analog an Digital Audio Inputs: The DAV-HDX285 features an optical and coaxial digital input for connecting an external digital audio source such as a cable box or satellite receiver. The unit also features an analog audio stereo RCA input.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: The DAV-HDX285 features a front-panel 3.5mm input which doubles as the setup microphone input and an audio input for connecting an external portable audio player to the unit.
Headphone Output: A 3.5mm mini-jack is provided on the front panel for plugging in headphones for private listening. When you plug in headphones, the main speakers are muted.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the unit off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set from 10 to 90 minutes in 10 minute increments. If you use the System Menu to set the sleep timer, you can enter the number of minutes between 1 and 90 minutes in 1 minute increments.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to one of two brightness levels.
Unified Remote: The DAV-HDX285 comes with a remote (RM-ADU007A) that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on Sony TVs.
Bravia Theatre Sync: When the DAV-HDX285 is connected to a Sony TV via HDMI, you can operate the system with simplified controls. In addition to audio and video transmission, control functions are transmitted via the HDMI cable. This feature works with a select number of Sony Bravia TVs. The simplified controls include:
- One-Touch Play: By pressing "Play" on the unit or the remote, the TV turns on and is set for the DVD input mode automatically.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can switch the sound to come out of either the TV or the DAV-HDX285's speakers.
- System Power Off: When you turn the TV off by using the "Power" button
Subwoofer: The DAV-HDX285 system is equipped with a Digital Direct Twin-Drive subwoofer, which features a front-firing 6-3/8" cone woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure with a front-firing port. The passive subwoofer features a pair of spring-clip speaker terminals and comes with 4 self-adhesive rubber feet. The main unit provides a 280-watt RMS amplifier for the subwoofer.
Front Speakers: The front left and right speakers use a 2-5/8" full range cone driver in a bass-reflex enclosure. The speakers have rear-mounted spring-clip terminals and rubber feet for placing the speaker vertically on a shelf or table. For wall-mounting, you can use the single keyhole slot or the threaded M5 screw insert for optional brackets.
Center Channel Speaker: The center channel speaker uses a 2-5/8" full range cone driver in a bass-reflex enclosure. The center speaker has rear-mounted spring clip terminals for use with the supplied speaker wire and rubber feet to sit horizontally on the TV or a shelf. There are also two keyhole slots that enable you to mount the speaker to the wall. The center channel speaker is video-shielded, allowing you to place it near your television without causing picture distortion.
Surround Speakers: The surround speakers use a 2-5/8" full range cone driver in a bass-reflex enclosure. The speakers have rear-mounted spring-clip terminals and rubber feet for placing the speaker vertically on a shelf or table. For wall-mounting, you can use the single keyhole slot or the threaded M5 screw insert for optional brackets.
Speaker Wiring: The integrated DVD/CD-changer receiver features color-coded proprietary plugs for speaker connections, while each speaker uses a pair of spring-clip terminals. Each length of supplied speaker wire has tinned wire on one end, and a color-coded proprietary plug on the other for easy hookup. The color-coded plugs are white (Front Left), red (Front Right), blue (Surround Left), gray (Surround Right), green (Center), and purple (Subwoofer).
Wireless Compatibility: This unit is compatible with the Sony S-AIR Wireless Speaker System (158AIRSA10, sold separately), which allows wireless sound transmission between the S-AIR Multi-Room Receiver and the DAV-HDX285. There is an input on the rear panel of the DAV-HDX285 labeled "EZW-T100" which allows for connection of the optional S-AIR transmitter (158EZWT100, sold separately) which is needed for use of the Sony S-AIR Wireless Speaker System. The Sony S-AIR Wireless Speaker System operates off of a 2.4Ghz frequency range.
Digital Media Port iPod Adapter: The Sony TDM-iP20 Digital Media Port adapter for iPod lets you enjoy iPod audio/video content through the Sony Bravia Home Theater System.
iPod Compatibility: The TDM-iP20 is compatible with select iPods That feature a dock connector. The dock is "Made for iPod compatible" and supports the following iPod model functions (Dec. 2009).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||AV Receiver||iPod||Song Info||Track Info|
|dock-connector (3 gen)||N||N||N||N||N||N||N|
|click-wheel or color-display (4 gen)||Y||N||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
|mini (1/2 gen)||Y||N||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
|video (5 gen)||Y||Y||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
|classic (80/120/160 GB)||Y||Y||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
|iPod nano||1 gen||Y||N||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
|iPod touch||1 gen||Y||Y||Y||Y||TV||TV||Y|
Note: Apple firmware updates may change functionality results.
Connections: The Sony TDM-iP20 features an Apple dock connector for connection of your iPod. The TDM-iP20 Digital Media Port iPod adapter connects to the Digital Media Port (DMPORT) of the DAV-HDX285, which is located on the rear panel of the amplifier, via its attached 38" proprietary cable. This cable supplies audio/video and control from your iPod to the DAV-HDX285.
iPod Controls: You can operate your iPod by its own control buttons, the control buttons of the DAV-HDX285, or the Sony Bravia Home Theater System's IR wireless remote control.
Battery Charger: The TDM-iP20 will charge your iPod while the unit is docked.
DMPORT Booster: Optimizes audio coming from any Digital Media Port devices to enhance compressed sound such as an MP3 audio file.