Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Get a fantastic audio/video system without having to match the components yourself. Sony has spared you the trouble, with their HT-6800DP. You get a separate receiver and 5-disc DVD/CD changer, plus 6 voice-matched satellite speakers and a powered sub you'll love the way this system turns your living room into a mini movie theater.
Load up the changer with movies and music, for hours of nonstop fun. It sends a bright, sharp DVD picture to your television, while the receiver drives each satellite speaker with an authoritative 120 watts of power. The subwoofer turns out thunderous bass thanks to its built-in 100-watt amp. This system really brings DVD soundtracks to life, and can even produce surround sound from music CDs and VHS tapes.
5-disc DVD/CD changer:
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, and DVD+RWs
- plays CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- video output for TV (composite, S-video, component)
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother DVD video with HD-ready TVs
- 16-15/16"W x 3-5/16"H x 17-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- built-in Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, and Pro Logic® II processing, for 5.1 sound from stereo sources and VHS, and 6.1 sound for DVD
- 6-channel amplifier (120 watts x 6)
- 30 AM/FM tuner presets
- 1 coaxial and 2 optical digital audio inputs
- multibrand remote control
- 16-7/8"W x 6-1/4"H x 12-7/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- 9-7/8" driver
- built-in 100-watt amplifier
- 13-1/4"W x 16-1/8"H x 14-5/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- full-range 3-1/8" driver
- 4-3/16"W x 6-1/16"H x 5"D
- warranty: 2 years
- dual full-range 2-1/4" drivers
- 7-7/8"W x 3-1/8"H x 5-3/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
Sony HT-6800DP Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Best Home Theater System for under $500
You couldn't ask for a better Home Theater System for under $500! Video and sound quality is excellent and setup is very simple, even if you've never set one up before. I would recommend some Monster video and sound cables, depending on what type of connections you have. The only video/audio cables provided are composite (RCA) and coaxil digial audio both for the connecting the DVD player to the Receiver. The speakers are small, which is nice, but product excellent sound. One nice thing I have noticed is that you don't have a problem with the highs (treble) being too high and the lows (bass) being too low, the volume doesn't go up and down as the scenes change in a movie. The subwoofer larger than I expected but will fit nicely in most corners. You just can't beat the quality and performance that Sony provides!
Great Home Theater System!
This Home Theater System has it all: lots of power, powered sub-woofer, extra inputs for additional equipment (I needed a system to allow me to hook up a second DVD player). The only minus and this is minor- the supplied speaker wire is very cheap and not long enough for most rear surround speakers if you need to snake it around your room. The coaxial digital cable is also cheap. But this is a very small price to pay for a great home theater. Go out and treat yourself to quality speaker wire and a good coaxial cable and you have a wonderful system at a great price. Highly recommended!!!
For an out of the box home theater it is far better then the others out there, various configurations to set up, however it could be confusing to someone new to HT. as always plan to spend extra on Monster XP speaker wire, the difference is dramatically improved over supplied wire, also forget the included dig coax and opt for the Monster Digital Optical/or digital coax. the receiver has more then enough power with the Monster XP speaker wire. so far every thing from my VCR/Digital receiver/DVD/and XBOX give wall shaking realism. a nice feature are all of the digital coding options to choose Dolby Dig, Dolby dig 2, DTS, DTS Music, you can also choose from pre programed settings from Sony's premier Theaters as well as custom settings so you can hear all of your VCR and TV programs in surround sound, not bad for a system that is under 500.00 and you could easily spend twice that on building a system that is comparable in quality to the HT-6800 DP. My VCR/Digital reciver/DVD/and XBOX give wall shaking realisum and. a nice feature are all of the digtial coding options to choose from so you can hear all of your VCR and TV programs in 6.1 digital surround sound, not bad for a system under 500.00 and you could easily spend twice that on building a system that is comparable in quality to HT-6800 DP
What's in the box?
- One large box containing the following items plus a smaller box for the silver 5-Disc DVD/CD changer (DVP-NC675P):
- STR-K6800P A/V receiver
- SA-WMSP68 powered subwoofer
- 5 SS-MSP88 satellite speakers
- 1 SS-CNP88 center channel speaker
- RM-PP860 wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 1 FM wire antenna
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 40" Coaxial digital cord (has a single RCA connector on each end)
- 6.5' Monaural connecting cord (has a single RCA connector on each end)
- Three 11.25' lengths of speaker wire (each length of speaker wire has tinned wire on both ends)
- Three 32.5' lengths of speaker wire (each length of speaker wire has tinned wire on both ends)
- 4 Self-adhesive subwoofer foot pads
- 24 Self-adhesive speaker foot pads
- Receiver Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- "Speaker Connection" sheet
- Important Safeguards
- Owner Registration Card
- Sheets on correct loudspeaker connections (taped to top of receiver)
- The DVD/CD changer box contains:
- 5-Disc DVD/CD changer
- RMT-D168A wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 4' Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- DVD/CD Changer Operating Instructions
- Product Registration sheet
- Warranty sheet
Digital Cinema Sound: This is a collaboration between Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures where the actual measurements of the sound acoustics in certain studios are taken. This information is programmed into this receiver so as to simulate the actual theater in your home environment. The three DCS fields that you can choose from are:
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's scoring stage
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your video software and music sources. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Pro Logic II Movie
- Pro Logic II Music
- DTS-ES Matrix
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- DTS Neo:6 Cinema
- DTS Neo:6 Music
- Cinema Studio Ex. A
- Cinema Studio Ex. B
- Cinema Studio Ex. C
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- HP 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.
- HP Multi: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- HP Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Auto Format Decoding: This feature automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, 2 channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
Dynamic Range Compression: When playing a Dolby Digital encoded DVD, you can turn the Dynamic Range Compression on for late night viewing. The Dynamic Range Compression can be set to Standard, Maximum, or Off.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: The brightness of the display can be adjusted to one of three levels.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the Front A left and right, Center, Surround left and right, and Surround Back speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The Front B left and right outputs use spring clips.
Precision Drive 3 System: The Sony DVP-NC675P 5-disc DVD changer features the Precision Drive 3 disc mechanism with Dynamic Tilt compensation. This new technology is an improvement over previous models with Precision Drive 2 to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 54MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital outputs. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is only output as 48kHz/16-bit.
Precision Cinema Progressive: While other DVD players detect image changes at the scan line level, Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive system detects them at the pixel level. The picture is more faithful to the source (film or video) because separate optimized algorithms are used to handle differing pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are free from motion artifacts.
Progressive Scan Output: Progressive-scan video has less flicker and fewer motion artifacts than the traditional interlaced-scanning method, resulting in a superior picture. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or one of the following Progressive modes:
- Progressive Video: optimizes output for video-based software regardless of the type of software played
- Progressive Auto: The unit will automatically detect if you are playing video-based or film-based software and convert the signal using the appropriate setting. Film-based software will be enhanced due to the player's full 3-2 reverse pulldown conversion.
Note: To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with component video inputs that supports the progressive scanning mode.
Disc Exchange: While playing a disc, you can open the disc tray so you can check or replace the other 4 discs loaded in the player. Two disc compartments appear at a time. You can press the Disc Skip button to view two more disc compartments.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums and each album can have a maximum of 300 files.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. JPEG files up to 3072 x 2048 in Normal mode, and Progressive JPEGs with up to 3.3 million pixels are supported. The following functions are available during JPEG disc playback: slideshow (with or without audio), zoom (2x, 4x), and image rotation, which allows you to rotate the current image 90-degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.
Slideshow Playback: The DVP-NC675P lets you display images in a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder. During a slideshow, you can adjust the amount of time each image is displayed. You can choose one of the following duration settings: Normal (about 6-9 seconds), Fast, Slow 1, or Slow 2. In addition, you can select one of the following effects to be used when viewing a slideshow:
- Mode 1: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 2: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 3: image stretches out from the center of the screen
- Mode 4: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 5: next image slides over the previous image
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
Picture Navigation: To find desired scenes quickly, you can view pictures of the disc's titles, chapters or tracks on a single screen divided into 9 sections and start playback from the chosen title, chapter or track.
Multi-Disc Resume Play: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs, and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. The resume playback point is cleared when the power cord is disconnected or the tray is opened.
Instant Replay/Advance: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again. The Instant Advance function is useful when you want to pass over a scene that you don't want to watch. One press of the Instant Advance button briefly puts the player into fast forward then resumes normal playback, skipping approximately 25 seconds of the recorded program.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 40 discs.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- TV Type: You can select the aspect ratio of the connected TV: 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan Scan, or 16:9.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a CD or MP3 CD for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Black Level: You can set the black level for the video signals output from the composite and S-Video jacks.
- Black Level (Component Out): You can separately set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks. This function is not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal.
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Dimmer: The display illumination can be set to Bright or Dark.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
- Multi-Disc Resume: Turns on/off multi-disc resume feature.
RM-PP860 Receiver Remote: The receiver remote is pre-coded to control Sony A/V equipment and most brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, tape decks, LD players, video CD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers, and cable boxes.
RMT-D168A DVD Changer Remote: The DVD changer remote is pre-programmed to operate the DVD changer and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.
Satellite Speakers: The speaker system consists of five satellite speakers and a matching center channel speaker. Each satellite has a 3-1/8" full-range driver, and the center channel speaker has two 2-1/4" full-range drivers. The rear-mounted spring clip terminals on each speaker will accept bare wire and pin connectors. Each enclosure is covered by a non-removable, light gray cloth grille.
Mounting: The M5 threaded female inserts on the back of the satellite speakers allow them to be mounted using optional brackets or stands. If you do not wish to mount the speakers on the wall or stand, you can place them on any flat surface using the supplied self-adhesive foot pads.
Subwoofer Driver and Enclosure: The subwoofer has a 9-7/8" front-firing woofer. For extended bass response, the woofer is loaded in a bass-reflex enclosure with a front-firing port.
Video-shielded: The satellites, center channel speaker and subwoofer are video-shielded, allowing them to be placed near your television without causing picture distortion.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.