Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Weekday nights don't have to be ho-hum anymore. And there's really no need to sit around on weekends wondering what's on TV. Instead transform your living room into a 3D entertainment zone and get thrilling 5.1 surround sound with the Sony HT-SS380.
Enhance your Blu-ray movie experience
Sony made this home theater system to complement their line of stand-alone Blu-ray players. It comes with five speakers, a subwoofer, and a dedicated A/V receiver so you can enjoy high-definition surround sound with Blu-ray movies. The receiver's three HDMI inputs let you hook up your Sony Blu-ray player and two other high-def sources, like a satellite TV receiver and a game console, and switch easily among them. Plus, the BRAVIA® Sync feature lets you operate all your compatible Sony gear with the 'SS380's remote control.
Easy automatic setup
Sony's auto calibration technology makes it a snap to adjust the surround sound settings to your specific room and furnishings. Simply place the included microphone in your favorite listening position, and the system optimizes its own speaker settings in only about 30 seconds.
Get your iPod® into the action
An included iPod/iPhone® dock makes it easy to enjoy your digital music played through this system's speakers. Dock it, and rock it!
- 3D-ready home theater system with A/V receiver, 5 speakers, and subwoofer
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy setup
- iPod/iPhone dock included
- remote with Sony Blu-ray player control buttons
- speaker and subwoofer cables included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby True-HD, DTS®, DTS HD, and Dolby Pro Logic® II
- accepts decoded high-resolution audio from your compatible Blu-ray player (HDMI connection required)
- 6-channel amplifier (167 watts x 5, plus 165 watts for subwoofer)
- 1 analog stereo, 1 coaxial digital, and 2 optical digital audio inputs
- 3 HDMI inputs for digital audio/video sources
- HDMI output for TV (cable not included)
- A/V receiver: 16-15/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 12-7/8"D
- each front and surround speaker contains a 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" full-range driver
- front and rear speakers: 3-3/8"W x 8-11/16"H x 3"D (each)
- center channel speaker contains a 1-3/16" x 2-3/8" full-range driver
- center channel speaker: 12-7/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 2-1/4"D
- subwoofer contains a 6-3/8" woofer in a ported enclosure
- subwoofer: 10-1/4"W x 10-3/8"H x 10-3/4"D
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Sony HT-SS380 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great sound and love that it has the IPod dock! Just love it
Pros: Easy set up!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Good all around sound, but bass could be a little more solid
What's in the box?
- AV receiver (STR-KS380)
- Passive subwoofer (SS-WB103) with attached 10' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- Center-channel speaker (SS-CTB102) with attached 6.5' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- 2 Front Satellite speakers (SS-TSB105) with attached 8' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- 2 Reart Satellite speakers (SS-TSB105) with attached 32' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary connector
- Remote control (RM-AAU120)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP380)
- Setup microphone (ECM-AC2) with attached 15' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector
- 7' Video cable (with a minijack connector on one end and a composite video connector on other end)
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Spa)
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Spa)
- Limited Warranty
- Online Product Registration
Overview: The Sony HT-SS380 Home Theater System features a 5.1 channel multichannel receiver, 4 matching satellite speakers (front/rear), a horizontal center-channel speaker, and a passive subwoofer. The HT-SS380 Home Theater System comes with speaker wire for each speaker and subwoofer with proprietary color-coded connectors for easy connection. The Sony HT-SS380 supports the latest Dolby Digital/DTS audio formats, such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, and DTS HD. It even offers 3D Pass-Through, ARC, and 24p True Cinema via its HDMI (v.1.4) inputs/output. The Sony Home Theater System also comes supplied with a auto-calibration microphone for easy setup, an external iPod/iPhone dock, and an IR wireless remote control for simple operation.
3 HDMI Inputs: The Sony HT-SS380 is equipped with three HDMI (ver.1.4) inputs to let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. All three HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p.
Note: There are no composite, S-video, or component video jacks.
HDMI Output (with ARC): The AV receiver features an HDMI (v.1.4) output which supports the ARC function. This one connection feeds audio/video signals input into the receiver to your flat-panel TV and allows audio from the TV's ATSC tuner to be sent back through to the receiver, for a simple one connection solution.
Note: Your television must be equipped with an HDMI (ver.1.4) input that supports the ARC function.
HDMI 3D Pass-Through: You can connect your 3D-ready Blu-ray player, 3D-compatible Satellite/Cable box, or 3D-ready game system to any of the unit's HDMI inputs and output the 3D video signal to your 3D-ready television via HDMI.
Note: 3D viewing requires a 3D source, 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, high speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection, active 3D glasses, and emitter.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
AV Sync: The audio output is delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and visual display is minimized.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: The Sony HT-SS380 features a multi-channel AV receiver that is equipped with an S-Master Digital Amplifier for superb accuracy, clear separation of signals, and balanced sound reproduction using a digital-to-digital process. It is designed to be highly efficient, producing minimal heat, while taking up 1/4 of the space of conventional amplifiers. The amplifier is rated at 167 watts x 5 (Front left/right, Surround left/right and Center) at 1kHz in 3-ohms with 10% THD; plus 165 watts x 1 (subwoofer) at 60Hz in 3-ohms with 10% THD.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration: The AV receiver is equipped with an Auto Calibration function to achieve ideal surround sound settings for your room. With the included microphone placed at the listening position, Sony's DSP automatically analyzes speaker placement and sets the delay times and output levels. The microphone has a threaded insert on the bottom so it's compatible with a tripod. Speakers configuration, speaker distances and output levels can also be manually set.
Manual Speaker Setup: If your prefer, you can setup the receiver and the connected speakers manually by using the receiver's manual speaker setup menu. You can adjust the level of each speaker from -6 to +6 dB in 0.5 dB steps and set the distance for each speaker from your main listening position (3' to 32' 9", in 1" increments).
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Standard or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Standard: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Surround Modes: The AV receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
|Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode:||
The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Standard or Multi Stereo.
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD|
|DTS||DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS 96/24, and DTS Neo:6|
|Dolby Pro Logic||Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie, and Dolby Pro Logic II Music|
|HD-D.C.S (HD Digital Cinema)||This mode is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio.|
|Sports||Reproduces feeling of sports broadcasting|
|Gaming||Reproduces powerful and realistic sound, suited for playing video games.|
|News||Reproduces a clearer announcer's voice.|
|P. Audio (Portable Audio Enhancer||Reproduces a clear enhanced sound image from your connected portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3 and other compressed music.|
|2-Channel Stereo||The receiver outputs the sound from the front left/right speakers and subwoofer only.|
Tone Control: The AV receiver features independent Bass and Treble controls for the front speaker channels. The Bass and Treble can be adjusted from -6 to +6 dB in 1 dB steps.
Dynamic Range Compression: This feature of the receiver lets you compress the dynamic range of the Dolby Digital/DTS sound track when watching movies late at night. The D. Range function offers three settings - Compression Off, Standard Compression, or Max Compression.
Night Mode: You can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialogue clearly even at a low volume level using this function. This function is useful or enjoying sound late at night when everyone else is sleeping.
FM Tuner: You can listen to FM broadcasts through the unit's built-in FM tuner. The AV receiver comes supplied with an FM wire antenna. You can store up to 30 FM preset stations. You can enter a name for each preset station. You can also tune to stations directly using the numeric keypad on the supplied remote control.
Note: There is no AM Tuner.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Sony HT-SS380 features both analog (stereo RCA) and digital (optical/coaxial) audio inputs. There is one set of stereo RCA inputs (Line In), two optical digital inputs (SAT/CATV, TV), and one coaxial digital input (Video).
4 Matching Satellite Speakers: The Sony HT-SS380 home theater system features four matching front (left/right) and rear (left/right) speakers. Each speaker consists of a bass-reflex cabinet and features a single 2.25" x 3.25"" cone-type, full-range driver. Each speaker comes with four integrated rubber feet so they can be placed securely on top of your shelves or stands. Each speaker also features a single key-hole slot to allow you to mount the speakers vertically on a wall (requires optional mounting screw). In addition, each speaker comes with speaker wire attached to the rear cabinet (8' for front/32' for rear) which connect to the proprietary plugs on back of the AV receiver.
Note: The Front and Rear speaker are not magnetically shielded.
Horizontal Center-Channel Speaker: The Sony home theater system features an acoustic-suspension center-channel speaker which consists of one magnetically shielded 1.1875" x 2.375" cone-type, full-range driver. The center-channel speaker comes with four integrated rubber feet so it can be placed securely on top of your TV, shelf or stand. The center-channel speaker also features two key-hole slots on its rear-panel which allows you to mount the center-channel speaker horizontally on a wall. In addition, The center-channel speaker features an attached 6.5' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to the system's AV receiver.
Note: The center-channel speaker is magnetically shielded
Passive Subwoofer: The home theater system features a bass-reflex, passive subwoofer with a front-firing 6.375" woofer and rear-firing port. The subwoofer includes four integrated rubber feet to place the unit securely on your floor. The subwoofer features an attached 10' speaker wire terminated by a proprietary plug which connects to the system's AV receiver.
Note: The subwoofer is not magnetically shielded.
External iPod/iPhone Dock (TDM-iP380): The included Sony TDM-iP38 iPod/iPhone dock lets you enjoy your iPod or iPhone's audio/video content through the HT-SS380 5.1ch Home Theater System and your connected television. The TDM-iP38 connects to the Sony AV receiver's Digital Media Port, while video is passed through a composite video connection on your television.
iPod/iPhone Controls: You can operate your iPod/iPhone by its own clickwheel/touchscreen or the HT-SS380's IR wireless remote control.
- iPod Display Mode: This mode allows you to operate your iPod/iPhone by your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen or the receiver's remote. Song information will be displayed on your iPod/iPhone (not your connected television). Video can still be displayed on your connected television.
- On-Screen Display Mode: This mode allows you to operate your iPod/iPhone by the included remote while displaying the iPod/iPhone information menu screens (Music/Videos/Settings) on your television. Your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked, and the Digital Media Port logo will appear on the iPod/iPhone display during this mode. The On-screen menu will display the iPod/iPhone's Playlist indicating the following - Track title, Artist name, Album label, Elapsed time, Currently playing track number/total of tracks, and Playback status (Play, Pause, Fast-forward or Rewind).
Shuffle/Repeat Playback: You can choose between Shuffle or Repeat playback modes.
- Shuffle: Plays songs/albums in random order according to the setting on your connected iPod (Random Off, Random Song, Random Album).
- Repeat: Plays songs repeatedly according to the setting on your connected iPod (Repeat Off, Repeat One, Repeat All).
Battery Charger: The TDM-iP38 will charge your docked iPod or iPhone. The TDM-iP38 must be connected to the Sony AV receiver and the receiver needs to be powered on.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP38), the Sony HT-SS380 supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of May 2011).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Screen Saver: The Screen Saver image appears on your TV after about 15 minutes of inactivity when you have the TDM-iP38 and your iPod connected to your Television.
Color Theme: You can select the on-screen display color for the connected television. You can choose from Auto (selected automatically by your iPod), White, Black, Green, Red, or Blue.
Connections: The Sony TDM-iP38 features an Apple dock connector for connection of your iPod/iPhone. The TDM-iP38 Digital Media Port iPod dock connects to the Sony AV receiver's Digital Media Port (DMPORT), which is located on the rear-panel of the amplifier, via its attached 6' proprietary cable. This cable supplies audio and control from your iPod/iPhone to the Sony receiver. The TDM-iP38 also features a 3.5mm minijack video output that can output a video signal directly to your TV, via the supplied 7' minijack-to-composite RCA video cable.
Dimmer: The integrated DVD receiver's display features three dimmer settings (Max, Mid, or Off).
Sleep Timer: You can set the system to turn off at a preset time, so you can fall asleep listening to music. You can set the receiver to turn off automatically after a specified time (30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes).
Automatic Standby: The system enters standby mode automatically when you do not operate the system for approximately 30 minutes and there are no signals input into the receiver.
Wireless Remote Control: The supplied IR remote control provides wireless operation of the home theater system. The remote is also pre-programmed to operate other Sony audio/video components connected to the home theater system, such as your TV, DVD player, or Blu-ray player. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select Bravia televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
- Scene Select: Allows you to enjoy the optimum picture quality and switches the sound field according to the selected scene on your TV.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel) Function: If your TV is compatible with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function, the television's sound will output from the speakers connected to this AV receiver via the receiver's HDMI TV Out connection.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.