Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's versatile HVL-HFL1 is actually two light sources in one. First, it's a video light ideal for brightening dimly lit footage and filling in unwanted shadows caused by direct sunlight. Plus, it's a flash for taking still pictures with your compatible Sony camcorder. This handy light is powered by your camcorder through the Active Interface Shoe, so it doesn't require its own batteries.
A single power switch lets you set the video light to On, Off, or Auto. In Auto mode, the video light turns on automatically when using the camcorder in a dark setting. In addition, this unit's front-mounted sensor automatically controls the brightness level of the flash to ensure proper illumination of your subjects.
- mounts directly to compatible Sony camcorders with the Active Interface Shoe including the DCR-DVD203, DCR-DVD-403, DCR-HC42, and DCR-HC90
- light is powered by the camcorder's battery through the accessory shoe
- lamp power consumption: 3.5 Watts
- video light illumination range: approximately 11 lux (at 10 feet)
- recommended flash range: 3 to 16 feet
- video lamp color temperature: 3,000 degrees K
- flash color temperature: 5,700 degrees K
- video lighting angle: 15 degrees
- average video light bulb life: approximately 100 hours (bulb is replaceable)
- weight: 1.9 ounces
- 1-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony HVL-HFL1 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Video flash/light
- Cloth pouch
- Operating Instructions
Features Overview: The Sony HVL-HFL1 functions as a video light and flash when attached to a compatible Sony camcorder.
Compatibility: The HVL-HFL1 can only be used with a Sony camcorder that has the active interface accessory shoe attached.
Controls: The Video Light's On/Off/Auto functions are controlled from the Standby mode of the camcorder. When set to Auto the video light comes on automatically in dark places.
Usage: The HVL-HFL1 can be used as a video light or flash for your Sony camcorder.
- Video Light: provides bright lighting for shooting video in dark places
- Built-in Flash: used for still photography on a camcorder (compatible Sony camcorder must have PHOTO mode)
Power Requirements: Power to the Video Light/Flash is supplied by the camcorder's active accessory shoe.
- Lamp Type: Xenon
- Connection Type: Sony's Active Accessory Shoe
- Power source: 7.2 V DC
- Power consumption: 3.5 W
- Weight: 1.9 oz
- Video Flash Segment:
- Flash Life: Approx. 1,500 times
- Guide no.: equivalent to approx. 10 (ISO100,m)
- Flash Shooting Distance: 3.25' - 16.25'
- Flash Lighting Angle: 45-degree (vertical), 60-degree (horizontal)
- Video Light Segment:
- Maximum Luminous Intensity: Approx. 100 cd
- Lighting Direction: Horizontal
- Lighting Angle: Approx. 15-degrees
- Color Temperature: Approx. 3,000 K
- Average Life of Lamp: Approx. 100 hours
- Illumination Range:
- 3.25 ft at 100 lux
- 6.5 ft at 25 lux
- 9.75 ft at 11 lux
- Continuous lighting time (these are approximate lighting times with a fully charged battery):
Battery Pack used in Camcorder Lighting Duration NP-FA50 30 minutes NP-FA70 60 minutes