Our take on the Sony VPL-HW40ES
A different path to a big, beautiful picture
Before you drop a bundle on a 70"-plus TV, you might want to consider a home theater projector. Offering a compelling combination of picture quality, versatility and value, Sony's VPL-HW40ES can make every movie night at your house an immersive experience. One of this projector's most appealing features is that it produces a bright, sharp, natural-looking picture straight out of the box.
Cinematic color and contrast
The VPL-HW40ES uses three SXRD image chips — one each for red, green, and blue — to produce extraordinarily rich, solid colors. SXRD is Sony's best projection technology, and this is their lowest-priced projector ever to include it.
Getting an accurate picture is easy: Simply choose the Reference picture preset. It provides spot-on color and grayscale performance, and offers sufficient brightness that you won't feel like you're limited to viewing in a pitch-black "man-cave."
There's also a picture setting optimized for watching black-and-white movies. And if you're a gamer, you'll love the Game mode. It boosts the brightness and drastically reduces input lag time, so you won't get bogged down in the action due to slow video processing. If you like to tweak picture controls, the Real Color Processing color management system makes it easy to fine-tune specific colors and hues without affecting skin tones.
Flexible setup for a variety of rooms
With its standard-throw lens, the VPL-HW40ES is a smart choice for medium- and larger-sized rooms. You can place it on a table, or ceiling-mount it with an optional bracket. The two "lens shift" dials let you adjust the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony's super-quiet built-in cooling fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, making this model a smart choice for smaller rooms, too.
For optimum performance, a separate projection screen is recommended.
Got questions about HDMI? See our HDMI cable buying guide.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
- high-definition projector (digital TV reception requires a separate HDTV tuner)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3 SXRD panels (1920 x 1080 pixels each)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (sold separately)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- 240Hz panel drive with Motionflow technology for improved motion clarity
- panel shift fine convergence adjustment
- light output: 1700 ANSI lumens
- Reality Creation super resolution processing
- Real Color Processing color management system
- 1.6X manual zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (manual, horizontal and vertical)
- vertical keystone correction
- 200-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 5000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (21 dB)
- illuminated remote control
Connections and Dimensions
- 3 video inputs, including:
- 1 PC input
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- detachable power cord
- 16-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 18-3/8"D
- weight: 22.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: front projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box