SXRD Technology: SXRD is a display technology developed by television
engineers at Sony to meet and exceed the demands of a High Definition image at
its full 1080 line resolution. It is a 1920 x 1080p panel characterized by
several key benefits such as full HD resolution, smooth film-like image with
minimal screen door effects, high response times (2.5ms rise and fall), high
contrast ratio with wire grid polarizers and high contrast plate and accurate
color rendition. The images from the three SXRD 0.61" panels (2,073,600 pixels
each) are superimposed over each other, making the projector's native resolution
1920 x 1080, a total of 6,220,800 pixels.
Advanced Dynamic IRIS: The video projector's Advanced Dynamic IRIS provides up to a
120,000:1 contrast ratio by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce
deep black levels with incredible detail.
1700 ANSI Lumen Brightness: The Sony VPL-HW55ES video projector
outputs 1700 lumens (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture.
Dynamic Lamp Control: Sony's dynamic lamp control technology
perfectly establishes vibrant,
cinema-quality brightness levels on your favorite 2D or 3D movies and TV shows.
Lens Adjustments: The VPL-HW55ES can be adjusted to fit complex rooms with
its 1.6x manual zoom, and horizontal and vertical shift features, plus1/10th
pixel step panel alignment. Additional adjustments include:
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the
four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in
the color of characters or the picture.
Adjustable Image Size & Lens Throw Distance: The Sony
VPL-HW55ES video projector can produce an image that is adjustable between 40"
and 300" (measured diagonally). The projector's adjustable lens
provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
||7.9' - 12.5'
||11.8' - 18.8'
||14.8' - 23.5'
Video Inputs: This unit can accept nearly any video signal
available today, including 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and
1080/24p (1080p and 1080/24p through HDMI input only). It will also accept a
wide range of computer video signals, and is compatible with NTSC and PAL color formats.
All video signals are displayed in 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution. The Sony VPL-HW55ES video projector offers three types
of video inputs; dual HDMI, one component video, and a single PC input.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The dual HDMI video inputs will accept 1080p
(60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals. The HDMI video inputs also
support 3D, X.V. Color, and Deep Color video.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept
1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
- PC Input: The PC input consists of a HD D-Sub 15 jack which lets
you connect the projector to your laptop or computer.
Note: This projector has no internal ATSC, NTSC, or QAM tuner.
Motionflow 240Hz Technology: Enjoy smooth, sharp motion from sporting
events, action movies, and video games with Sony's Motionflow 240Hz technology.
Motionflow 240Hz technology also minimizes 3D crosstalks and greatly diminishes
the possibility of ghosting when watching 3D. The Motionflow 240Hz feature is
adjustable and can be set to High, Low, or Off.
3D Ready w/ 2D-to-3D Conversion: The Sony VPL-HW55ES
projector gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) video via its
integrated 3D Sync Transmitter and active 3D glasses (two pair included). You can even add 3D to your favorite movies, shows or videos
with Sony's unique 2D-to-3D up-conversion algorithm, allowing any standard
definition or high definition 2D content connected via HDMI to be viewed in
immersive Sony 3D. Additional 3D glasses (158TDGPJ1)
can be purchased separately.
Note: Depending on the installation environment of the video projector,
the 3D glasses may not receive 3D signals properly from the unit's built-in 3D
Sync Transmitter. In this case, connect an optional 3D Sync Transmitter
(available from Sony) and
place it near your viewing position.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of
content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best suited for the
video signal received. Choose from the following:
- Wide Zoom: a 4:3 aspect ratio picture is projected naturally
to fill the screen; the upper and lower portions of the picture are
- Zoom: a 4:3 aspect ratio picture is enlarged vertically and
horizontally in the same ratio to fill the screen; the upper and lower
portions are cropped
- Normal: displays a picture on the whole of the screen,
maintaining the aspect ratio of the input picture; this is suitable for
16:9 or 4:3 pictures.
- Stretch: a picture squeezed to 4:3 is displayed in 16:9
- V Stretch: a 2.35:1 picture is displayed after having been
changed to 16:9; this is the most suitable mode when using a
commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: displays in its original aspect ratio when a 16:9 or
4:3 picture is viewed using a commercially available anamorphic lens.
- Full: displays an original picture on the whole of the
screen; only when a computer signal is input
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing mode that
best suits the type of video source or room
conditions. You can save and use different preset modes for 2D/3D
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the
highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich
tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want
to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying
image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports,
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated
colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching movies in
a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs,
sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit
your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color
temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture quality that
suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
items with the remote control. The adjusted data can be stored in each
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of
images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the
noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project
brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise,
in particular in digital signals
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark
parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the
tone of the picture
- Real Color Processing (RCP): The Real Color Processing (RCP)
feature allows you to adjust the color, hue, and brightness of each target of the projected picture you specify
independently. You can thus obtain a picture more suitable to your taste
Preset Signal Memory: This projector has 31 types of preset
data for input signals. When the preset signal is input, the projector
automatically detects the signal type and recalls the data from the signal from
the preset memory to adjust it to an optimum picture. The memory number and
signal type of that signal are displayed in the unit's Information Menu. The
projector also contains 20 different user memories beside the preset memories
used for inputting computer signals. You can save input signals that have not
been preset on these user memories.
Remote Control w/ HDMI-CEC: The supplied IR remote allows you to
wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. In addition, HDMI Control allows the
communication of control information among connected HDMI components in your
- By turning on or playing back the connected equipment, the projector
will turn on and the input setting will switch to the terminal of the
connected equipment automatically.
- By turning the power of the projector off, the power of the connected
equipment will also turn off automatically.
- By changing the language setting of the projector, the language setting
of the connected equipment will also change to the same language
Custom Installation Inputs: The Sony VPL-HW55ES features an
IR remote input and RS-232 port for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use
with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-HW55ES into virtually
any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C
Mounting Options: The VPL-HW55ES can be placed on a table
top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two
adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are
three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a
projector ceiling mount (sold separately) to mount the unit from your
Power Saving Modes: The VPL-HW55ES offers two power saving modes to
save energy and increase lamp life.
- Lamp Cutoff: The lamp turns off automatically and power
consumption is reduced if no signal is input for 10 minutes. If
signal is resumed, or any button on the control panel or remote control is
pressed, the lamp will light again.
- Auto Standby: The power will be turned off automatically and the
projector goes to Standby mode if no signal is input for 10
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-HW55ES advanced air discharge
system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 21db during show time.
Replaceable Lamp & Filter: The included projector lamp
should last between 2,000 to 5,000 hours. When replacing the lamp, use Sony's LMP-H202 Projector Lamp (sold
separately). The air filter is supplied with the
LMP-H202 Projector Lamp.
Note: Included in the box is coupon for a free replacement lamp.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and
labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.