Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Transcriptions made easy
The Sony ICD-PX312D, with its included Dragon Naturally Speaking® software, removes the drudgery of taking notes or transcribing audio. Record the speech, lecture, or event with the PX312D voice recorder and transfer the resulting MP3 to your computer. The included software helps you transcribe recorded content into text documents great for students, reporters, secretaries, and others who need to translate speech into printed words.
All the memory you need
Make voice recordings on the go without worrying about running out of memory. This digital recorder has two gigabytes of built-in memory enough for over three weeks of basic-quality recordings. But if that's not enough, just insert a microSD card into the player for more storage.
Easy on-the-go recording
Choose either manual or automatic audio level settings, to adjust to different recording conditions. The voice-activated mode lets you make convenient, hands-free recordings. And the intelligent noise cut feature helps improve recordings made under less-than-ideal circumstances.
Use the built-in speaker for playback, or plug your headphones into the minijack for more discreet listening.
Edit in the field or at home
The ICD-PX312D also lets you do basic editing on the go. You can flip back and forth between two tracks to compare them, change the pitch, divide a track, or add to it or simply overwrite what's there to free up space.
- battery-powered digital mono voice recorder with expandable memory
- Dragon Naturally Speaking voice-to-text software included
- 2GB embedded memory holds up to
- 536 hour of basic-quality mono voice recordings
- 22 hours of highest-quality voice recordings
- records to MP3 audio files
- built-in editing functions:
- A-B repeat
- digital pitch control
- divide and add to track
- expandable microSD card slot (memory card not included)
- backlit LCD display
- built-in speaker
- selectable voice activated recording
- high-speed USB interface (compatible with both PC and Mac®)
- headphone minijack output
- external microphone minijack input
- Sound Organizer audio editing software included
- up to 72 hours operation with 2 "AAA" batteries (included)
- 1-1/2"W x 4-1/2"H x 7/8"D
- weight: 2.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Windows® 7, Windows Vista® or Windows® XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
- Mac OS X v.10.2.8-v.10.6 (Sony software has limited Mac compatibility and Dragon software is not Mac-compatible)
Sony ICD-PX312D Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This item is small and easy to operate. It is good for meeting and very convenient to carry. Easily download to a PC. I recommend this item to anyone that needs to use a recording device.
What's in the box?
- Digital voice recorder
- 2 "AAA" alkaline batteries
- 35" USB cable (Type A on one end and Mini B Ver.2.0 on the other end)
- Sony Sound Organizer Ver.1.1.0 CD-ROM disc
- Dragon Naturally Speaking--Recorder Edition 11.0 DVD-ROM
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Customer Support Home Page
- Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 Quick Card
- Guide to Better Sound Recording
Overview: The Sony ICD-PX312D Digital Voice Recorder provides high-quality recording for music, meetings, or lectures through its built-in microphone (or optional external microphone) and integrated 2GB flash memory. The Sony Digital Voice Recorder features MP3 recording and up to 536 hours of recording capacity (8 kbps, Mono). Featuring Dragon NaturallySpeaking Voice to Print Speech Recognition software, the ICD-PX312D digital voice recorder is a great office assistant. You can easily translate all of your recordings from voice to print with a few clicks of a button.
LCD Display: The Sony ICD-PX312D features a full-dot, monochrome LCD display which indicates recording and playback information. The recorder will display the remaining recording time in hours, minutes, and seconds.
Multiple Language Display: You can select the language used in the display for messages, menus, folder names, file names, etc.: English, French, and Spanish.
Date and Time: The recorder features a built-in clock that displays date and time on the unit's LCD screen. If you have set the time and date, information as to when a sound file was recorded is stored automatically with that file. In addition, you can set an alarm and start playback of a selected file on a specified date, once every week, or at the same time every day.
Built-in Microphone: The ICD-PX312D features a built-in microphone on the top of the recorder. In addition to the built-in microphone, the recorder also has a 3.5mm external microphone input.
Built-In 2GB Flash Memory: The ICD-PX312D Digital Voice Recorder features a built-in 2GB flash memory which can hold hours of audio or voice memos. The unit can recognize up to 400 folders, and up to 199 files per folder (or a total of 4,095 folders and files for one memory media). Because a portion of the memory is used for system management and/or application files, available capacity is approximately 1.8 GB.
External Media: In addition to the built-in memory, the PX312D has a slot for a Memory Stick Micro (M2) up to 16 GB, or a microSD card (microSD smaller than 2 GB or microSDHC from 4 GB to 32 GB).
Recording Format: The digital voice recorder offers MP3 recording multiple recording formats and quality modes:
|Recording Mode||Frequency Response||Maximum Recording Time
Built-in 2 GB Memory
|SHQ 192 kbps||75Hz - 20kHz||22 hrs 20 min|
|HQ 128 kbps||75Hz - 17kHz||33 hrs 30 min|
|SP 48 kbps||75Hz - 14kHz||89 hrs 25 min|
|LP 8 kbps||75Hz - 3500Hz||536 minutes|
VOR Function: The VOR (Voice Operated Recording) function makes the digital voice recorder start recording when the recorder detects sound, and pause when no sound is heard, eliminate recording during soundless periods.
Low-Cut Filter: When you set the LCF (Low-Cut Filter) function to "On", the digital voice recorder cuts out frequencies lower than 200Hz to reduce the roaring noise from wind. This helps to record a sound source more clearly outdoors.
Noise Cut: This function reduces the distortion of very low and high frequencies which are outside the human voice range, allowing you to hear the human voice more clearly.
Auxiliary Input: The digital voice recorder's microphone jack also acts as an auxiliary input so you can connect a portable music player to the ICD-PX312D and record audio.
Divide: In the stop mode, you can divide a file into two parts, with the new file number being added to the newer part of the divided file.
Overwrite and Add Functions: The ICD-PX312D allows you to correct dictation in playback and add a recording after the original recording. Added recording will be placed after the current file, and will be counted as a part of the file.
Track Mark: You can add a track mark at a point in a file and use it during playback. You can add up to 98 bookmarks to each file.
Move Files: You can move a file from one folder to another folder, or copy files between the built-in memory and the memory card in either direction.
Erase: You can erase your recorded messages one by one, or all message in a folder at time.
Protect Files: To prevent a file from being accidentally erased or edited, you can protect an important file. When a file is protected, it is regarded as a read-only file. Protection can be released, if desired.
Built-In Speaker and Headphones: The ICD-PX312D features a built-in speaker so you can listen back to your recordings. The digital voice recorder also features a 3.5mm headphone output and comes with a pair of earbud-style headphones for private listening.
Playback: The Sony digital voice recorder offers Play, Stop, Previous, Next, and Repeat playback functions.
Easy Search: You can go forward for approximately 10 seconds or back for approximately 3 seconds to locate a desired point in a long recording.
Digital Pitch Control: The Digital Pitch Control allows you to adjust the playback speed of your recording. The playback speed can be decreased from 0.5x to 1x, or increased from 1x to 2x. The recording is still played back in a natural tone using digital processing.
USB Port: The Sony ICD-PX312D features a mini-USB type-B connector and comes supplied with a USB cable to connect the digital voice recorder to your computer. The ICD-PX312D also includes a handy USB docking cradle to rest the digital voice recorder when connected to your computer. You can do the following when you connect the digital voice recorder to your computer.
- Copy Files: You can copy the files and folders recorded on the ICD-PX312D onto your computer to save them. You can also copy music or other audio files from your computer to the recorder, including WAV, MP3, WMA, and AAC-LC by a simple drag and drop operation.
- Mass Storage Device: You can store image data or text data saved on your computer temporarily on the Sony digital music player.
Editing Software: The ICD-PX312D Digital Voice Recorder comes supplied with two CD-ROM discs which include the following editing software:
- Sony Sound Organizer ver.1.1.0: The Sound Organizer software allows you to
import files from the recorder to your computer. You can also import songs
from music CDs, MP3 and other audio files, and podcasts for transferring to
the recorder. The software also lets you edit, view track marks, burn CDs
and DVDs, and playback with Intelligent Noise Cut and other useful features.
- Operating System: For the Sound Organizer software, your computer will need to have one of the
following operating systems installed:
- Windows 7: Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, Home Basic, Starter
- Windows Vista: Ultimate (SP2 or higher), Business (SP2 or higher), Home Premium (SP2 or higher), Home Basic (SP2 or higher)
- Windows XP: Media Center Edition 2005 (SP3 or higher), Media Center Edition 2004 (SP3 or higher), Professional (SP3 or higher), Home Edition (SP3 or higher)
- Operating System: For the Sound Organizer software, your computer will need to have one of the following operating systems installed:
Note: The PX312D has Drag and Drop Mass Storage Device functionality only with Mac OS X (v10.2.8-v10.6).
- DRAGON NaturallySpeaking Recorder Edition 11.0: With Dragon NatruallySpeaking speech recognition software installed on your computer, you can use the Sony Sound Organizer software to transfer the files recorded on the recorder onto your computer's hard-disk and then link it to Dragon NaturallySpeaking software to transcribe.
Battery Life: The Sony digital voice recorder requires two "AAA" alkaline or Ni-MH batteries. Two alkaline batteries are included, and provide up to 72 hours of recording and 41 hours of playback time (16 hours through the built-in speaker).
Note: Optional Ni-MH batteries provide up to 50 hours of recording and 30 hours of playback time (11 hours of playback through the built-in speaker).