Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Your phone is wireless, and so is your tablet. And most of your music probably comes from wireless-capable sources like iTunes®, Pandora® Internet radio, and Spotify. So why not cut the cord and make your speakers wireless, too? With the Sony SA-NS500 HomeShare portable powered speaker, you can use Apple AirPlay to stream music from an iPod®, an iPhone®, or an iPad®. You can also stream music from a Sony Tablet, a compatible PC or a Sony Blu-ray player. And you can move the battery-powered speaker around your home and place it wherever you like. No wires. Anywhere. Just your music, anywhere you'd like.
Simple to use
Set up is a snap. There's no dock to connect, or passwords to remember. Plug the SA-NS500 in, and connect to your compatible Wi-Fi router with a press of a button. You'll be ready to start enjoying your music throughout your home in no time.
You can use the included remote or your computer to control the volume and select tracks. Or you can add a free remote app to your iPhone or iPod touch and turn your wireless device into a remote.
Fill your house with music
It's just one small speaker, but it's designed to fill your room with 360-degree sound. The omni-directional speaker system makes placement a cinch. Just put it wherever seems natural, and sit back and relax. The speaker is also battery powered so it can go with you around the house or even outdoors. You can also expand the system, adding other Sony SA-NS500 speakers, a SA-NS400 network speaker, and even a NAC-SV10i wireless iPod dock, or a NAS-SV20i iPod speaker dock. With more than one speaker or dock, you can use Sony's Party Streaming to play the same tunes in more than one room or let family members play their own music in each room.
- wireless powered speaker system
- Apple AirPlay technology lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- DLNA-compliant wirelessly plays music streamed from compatible PCs and media servers
- Party Mode wirelessly plays music from linked audio system in another room
- free downloadable remote control app for iPhone/iPod touch
- four 2-way speakers for 360° soundfield
- built-in subwoofer
- stereo minijack auxiliary input
- built-in rechargeable battery for convenient portable operation
- AC adapter/charger
- Ethernet connection/built-in Wi-Fi
- remote control
- 9-1/2"W x 12-3/4"H x 10-1/4"D
- weight: 8.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Feast on an endless buffet of music
A network music player presents you with virtually unlimited ways to play your favorites or discover new music. Access your computer's music library, Internet radio stations, and online music services through your wireless home network.
Sony SA-NS500 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Sensational wireless sound!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Pros: looks great and provides super surround sound
Cons: somewhat difficult to set up
What's in the box?
- Portable wireless network speaker
- AC power adapter (with attached 43" DC cord)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-ANU087)
- 3V CR2025 lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2' Ethernet cable (with RJ-45 connectors on each end)
- Network Speaker Wi-Fi Utility CD-ROM
- Operating Instructions
- Network Settings
- Using AirPlay
- Limited Warranty (US/Canada)
- Product Registration
Overview: The Sony SA-NS500 Portable Wireless Network Speaker lets you listen to music stored on or streamed to your Windows PC, Sony Tablet, or Apple AirPlay device. You can even listen to Bravia Internet Music apps from your PartyStream compatible Sony Blu-ray player, A/V receiver, or Network player in another room of your home. The SA-NS500 provides an Ethernet port & built-in Wi-Fi to connect to your home network. A remote is included for wireless operation of the unit. A free app is also available that transforms your iPhone or iPod touch into a convenient remote control to navigate your music. Its versatile design and ultra-compact footprint offers flexible placement in a kitchen, office, den, or bedroom.
360° Room-Filling Sound: The Sony Portable Wireless Network Speaker spreads sound throughout the room, thanks to its four 2-way speakers (1.1875") + 1 subwoofer (4.375") design, bass reflex (ported) enclosure, and built-in 36W amplifier. The Unique omni-directional design and small footprint let you place the SA-NS500 almost anywhere in the room.
Network Connection (LAN/Wi-Fi): You can connect the Sony Network Speaker's Ethernet (RJ-45) port to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (sold separately). In addition to the unit's Ethernet port connection, you can also easily connect wirelessly to your home's broadband network using the SA-NS500's built-in Wi-Fi. Once you are connected to your home network, you'll be able to access music content stored on or streamed to your PC, tablet, smartphone, or Apple AirPlay device; and even from your PartyStream compatible Sony Blu-ray player, A/V receiver, or Network Player. The following system environment is required to connect the SA-NS500 to your network.
- Broadband Internet: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router (wired/wireless): Use a 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX compatible wired router or a 802.11b/g Wi-Fi certified wireless router to enjoy content on your home network.
- Wired (LAN) or Wireless (Wi-Fi) Connection: An Ethernet cable (CAT5) is required for a hardwired (LAN) connection. A wireless (Wi-Fi) connection requires a home network with an 802.11b/g access point and internet connection. Supports WEP (64-/128-bit) and WPA-PSK (AES/TKIP) security.
Expandability: Purchase additional Sony Network Speakers (158SANS500, sold separately) or docks (158NASSV20, sold separately) to expand your music enjoyment into every room of the home. Each room can be independently controlled with the remote app or synchronized for whole-home music enjoyment.
AirPlay Compatible: Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the Sony SA-NS500 speaker system. You can even bypass your computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the SA-NS500.
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10 music collection and Internet radio with full navigation and playback control from your computer (Mac/PC) or iPod touch/iPhone/iPad device (iOS 4.2 or later), via Apple's free Remote app. To use this feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network as the Sony SA-NS500.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the Sony SA-NS500. This feature works with iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S), and iPad running iOS 4.2 or later - connected to the same wireless network as the SA-NS500.
Note: You cannot use the PartyStreaming function with audio content played back using AirPlay.
DLNA Certified (Player): The Sony SA-NS500 Network Speaker is DLNA certified. This means you can listen to music stored on your DLNA compliant Windows-based PC through the Sony SA-NS500 in another room of your home. You can control basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next. You can also bookmark music which is being played back via the network, so you can easily find it the next time you are using the SA-NS500. You can register up to 30 audio bookmarks. The Sony Network Speaker supports the following audio files.
|Linear PCM||Sampling Rate: 44.1, 48 kHz,
|WAV||Sampling Rate: 44.1, 48 kHz,
|MP3||Sampling Rate: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: 32-320 kbps
|WMA||Sampling Rate: up to 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 385 kbps
|AAC||Sampling Rate: 8, 11.025, 12, 16,
22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 576 kbps
Note: If you have a Windows 7-based computer, use the Windows Media Player 12 bundled with Windows 7. If you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista-based computer, install Windows Media Player 11 software.
PartyStream: The Sony SA-NS500 Network Speaker supports PartyStream playback of Bravia Internet Music apps (such as vTuner, Pandora, & Slacker) from your PartyStream compatible Sony Blu-ray player, A/V receiver, or Network player. This allows you to listen to your online music in another room of your home.
- vTuner: The free online vTuner service allows easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.
- Slacker: Slacker is a free, personalized Internet radio service that lets you choose the music you want to listen to. You can choose Internet radio stations by genre, or create custom stations by Artist name or Song title.
- Pandora: Pandora is a free, personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.
Note: PartyStream mode requires compatible Sony Blu-ray Disc home theater system, Sony Blu-ray Disc player, Sony A/V receiver, or Sony Network player (all sold separately); and connection to the same home network.
Auxiliary Input: The Sony SA-NS500 features a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input to connect an external audio device (such as your portable MP3 player).
IR Remote Control: The Sony SA-NS500 comes supplied with a credit-card size IR remote control for wireless operation of the speaker and your music.
Remote Control App: Download the free Sony Network Audio Remote app from the iTunes App Store to your iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th gen) or iPhone (3G/3GS/4/4S) with iOS 4.0 or later, and turn it into a versatile remote control. You'll get instant access to your networked personal music collection right from your iPod touch or iPhone. The free app lets you set the volume, browse your music collection, and control playback functions using your iPod touch or iPhone.
Note: The Sony Network Audio Remote app must be downloaded from the iTunes App Store, and requires that the SA-NS500, your PC, and the iPod touch/iPhone be connected to the same wireless (Wi-Fi) network.
Battery Powered: The Sony SA-NS500 operates off of an integrated, rechargeable battery that provides up to 5 hours of use (at half volume) or 2 hours of use (at max volume). The battery can be charged from the included AC power adapter. Charging time takes between 3-5 hours.
AC Power Adapter: The Sony SA-NS500 also operates off of standard household AC current using the included AC power adapter. The AC power adapter is also used to charge the speaker's integrated battery.
- Input: 120-240V AC, 50/60Hz (60W)
- Output: DC18V, 2.6A
Standby Mode: This unit enters Standby mode when it is idle (with no operation) for 30 minutes to conserve battery life.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.