Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Welcome aboard the Sony ES flagship
Sony's top-of-the-lineSTR-DA5800ES receiver boasts nine channels of robust amplification and cutting-edge digital processing for captivating surround sound and crisp lifelike images with all your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. You also get convenient connections that you won't find on most other receivers — including a built-in 4-port Ethernet switch and HDMI outputs for you main room plus a second zone. But you can also make this clever receiver the centerpiece of a home automation system.
A receiver that can double as a home automation center
At heart, the Sony STR-DA5800ES is all about entertainment, with the amplification and digital processing you need for crisp home theater images and gripping surround sound. It boasts convenient connections that you won't find on most receivers — like a built-in 4-port Ethernet switch and HDMI outputs for you main room plus a second zone. But you can also make this clever receiver the centerpiece of a home automation system.
Sony's Easy Automation helps you get right to the fun
The STR-DA5800ES comes with four fully customizable "scenes" that let you carry out an array of tasks with a single button push. Hit "Movie" to turn on your TV, start your Blu-ray player, and set volume and soundfield settings as desired. The receiver includes infrared blasters to control your additional components. Add Control4®-compatible lighting dimmers, and you can even make the 'DA5800ES dim the lights when your movie starts. Sony's one-room Easy Automation is built-in, so the receiver is ready out of the box for a simplified home theater experience. Plus, you can use additional Control4® accessories (not included) to run a full-fledged multi-room automation system throughout your home. (See more info on Control4 home automation and lighting.)
Good sound always starts with clean, stable power. The STR-DA5800ES supplies its 9-channel amplifier with a beefy power transformer. Large block capacitors provide plenty of instantaneous current when dynamic peaks in your music or movies demand it.
Convenient Internet entertainment hub
A built-in Ethernet hub lets you connect the 'DA5800ES to your broadband network and provides three Ethernet ports for your other Internet-ready devices. But easy connections are just the beginning. Access a virtually limitless variety of music from online music services like Pandora® Internet radio or Slacker®. This receiver even comes with Netflix® streaming onboard, so you can instantly enjoy your favorite movies and shows. (Registration or subscription may be required.)
Sony also offers a free, downloadable ES Remote app for your iPhone or Android™ smartphone so you can use it as a convenient Wi-Fi remote. Full control is in the palm of your hand with a remote that won't get lost in the sofa cushions. Requires connection to a wireless home network.
Three HDMI outputs give you setup flexibility
The '5800ES sports three HDMI outputs, two for your main viewing room and a third for a second room. In your main room, you can use the A and B outputs to connect a TV and a projector, or you could connect two TVs for watching the big game on both screens simultaneously. The third HDMI output lets you select an independent input source and send it to your secondary viewing room.
Cable clutter out — sublime picture quality in
HDMI switching lets you connect up to nine high-definition video components. With both audio and video signals going via HDMI, you'll have convenient single-cable connections to your compatible high-def components, and just one cable running to your TV. Plus, sophisticated video processing helps you get a better picture with older video sources like a VCR or non-HD cable box: just hook them up to the receiver with analog cables, and it sends a cleaner-looking digital signal to your TV via HDMI.
Easy system setup and control
Sony knows that most rooms present acoustic hurdles that can make setting up your system in the traditional way a time-consuming hassle. That's why they've included their auto speaker calibration, which takes away the pain, making setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DA5800ES automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers. And with Sony's intuitive on-screen menu, selecting sources and preferences is just a convenient click away.
Power and Processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 130 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Pro Logic® IIz, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for accurate and easy automatic speaker setup
Digital Entertainment Options:
- built-in Ethernet hub connects to your broadband home network and has three outlets for additional components
- front-panel USB input for direct digital connection of your iPod®, portable music player or thumb drive
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
- optional streaming services include Netflix,Pandora® Internet radio, Slacker®, and Sony Music Unlimited (registration and subscription may be required)
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 7.2 home theater in main room)
- dedicated Zone 2 HDMI output
- only analog audio sources, built-in tuner, or HDMI input sources can be played in the 2nd room
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (9 in, 3 out)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- built-in 4-port Ethernet hub
- component video switching (2 in, 2 out)
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical, 3 coaxial
- five audio/video inputs with composite video, including:
- 1 front-panel input
- 4 rear-panel inputs
- 3 audio-only inputs, including a phono input for hooking up a turntable
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs (use of a second set for main output limits the system to 5.2 channels in the main room)
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- free Sony remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- advanced on-screen graphical user interface (via HDMI and component video output)
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- multibrand remote
- 60 AM/FM presets
- dual rear switched AC outlets for convenient component connection
- 16-15/16"W x 7-1/4"H x 17-15/16"D
- weight: 39.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony STR-DA5800ES Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I have this receiver hooked up to a Sony panel and a PS4 which I use for blurays and netflix. The receiver is driving Definitive Mythos STs and matched deftech center and rears.
Here's the good news:
The rig sounds great for both music and movies. Good job Sony and Definitive. (I speculate that the Mythos STs with their powered subs do not load the receiver very hard. Your mileage may vary.) The receiver and included microphone also did a great job with calibration. It was simple to use made the sound seamless.
Here's the bad news:
I selected this receiver from among the competition precisely because the other two devices are Sony products. My hope was that the devices would interoperate well and I would be able to use one remote. Not so much. Sometimes turning on the TV will bring on the receiver. It never turns on the PS4. And sometimes just the TV comes on. Sometimes the TV controls the receiver volume, sometimes not.
Most annoying: the PS4/receiver combination consistently decides to play in 2.0 sound when starting a bluray. The work around is to power cycle the receiver and then it selects the proper encoding.
I don't think I'm going to return it because it does sound good. But I am considering it because of the 2.0 problem with the PS4.
Good job Sony
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Sound is very dynamic and easy to adjust. I have a sony tv which integrated nicely. The power can be felt in action movies and the reciever never gets hot. Picture is also very nice. The unit is heavy. Looking through the vent holes, you can see the quality of the unit. Its a big step up from sony's regular line.
Pros: Great sound, awesome picture, all the connectivity that you will ever need, easy GUI, plenty of power, build quality
Cons: None yet
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The best amp. Sony have put out in along time. you need to read the Operating instruction first.
Pros: I hear sounds that I never heard before even
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Awesome receiver, plenty of power for my Polk Audio
What's in the box?
- 9.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU154)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone u
- 4 IR blasters (with two-sided tape)
- Lighting Control Adapter (UWA-C4Z)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on "F" connector
- Speaker-terminal tool
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
- Caution/Attention note
Features and Specs
ES (Elevated Standard) Series:The Sony STR-DA5800ES AV receiver is part of Sony's ES (Elevated Standard) line-up. The AV receiver's incredible sound quality comes from care and craftsmanship with the ultimate goal of creating powerful, audiophile grade sound while eliminating distortion. Carefully selected parts tuned for high-resolution sound with amazing clarity are combined with technology developed specifically for the ES-line. Its power transformer has the largest core size for this class of AV receiver and has been separated from the AC line to eliminate residual noise. Sony has even adopted a lead-free, nearly pure tin solder to connect all these parts and help maintain the signal quality. These devices are particularly critical for sound quality and provide an overall improvement to the entire frequency range. The STR-DA5800ES comes with an industry leading 5-year parts and labor warranty, 90-day advanced exchange program, and dedicated toll-free support line staffed by CEDIA-trained product experts (1-877-619-7669; Monday - Friday 10am - 7pm ET).
9.2ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DA5800ES AV receiver is equipped with a 9-channel amplifier rated at 130 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) and dual subwoofer preamp outputs for a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater application. The 9-channel amplifier can be configured to suit your home AV application.
- 9.2ch Surround Back + Front High: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio), DTS NEO:X & Dolby Pro Logic IIz with up to 9.2 channel surround, using the Surround Back & Front High speaker channels.
- Zone 2: If you are not using Surround Back speakers, you can re-assign the Surround Back/Zone 2 channels of the receiver to amplify a pair of speakers in a another room (Zone 2). Zone 2 can play the same source or a different source as your main zone.
- Front A & B Speakers: The receiver is equipped with Front A & B speaker outputs, allowing you to place a second pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B will play the same audio source as Speaker A, at the same volume level.
- Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Zone 2 channels at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (provides better sound quality for front speakers). A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration EX (DCAC EX): The Sony STR-DA5800ES is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration EX Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, adjust the speaker output levels, correct phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-D5800ES AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6, DTS Neo:X
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. HD-D.C.S. has three different types: Dynamic, Theater, and Studio. Each type has different reflection and reverberation sound mixture levels and is optimized to match a listener's room uniqueness, taste and mood.
Pre-Programmed Soundfields: You can also take advantage of surround sound simply by selecting one of the Sony receiver's preprogrammed sound fields. These soundfields help to simulate the effect of a live venue. Choose from Berlin Philharmonic Hall, Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Musikverein Vienna, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, or Portable Audio.
Front Height Effects: By using the front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen. This function (Center Speaker Lift Up) allows you to enjoy a more natural representation. In addition, the receiver can reproduce front high speakers virtually even when there are no actual front high speakers connected. This function also allows you to reproduce the Center Speaker Lift Up effect using the front high speakers, as well as reproduce various sound field features utilizing the front high channels the receiver is equipped with.
Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active. Analog direct can be used for 2 channel speaker playback, or while listening to headphones.
DSD + H.A.T.S.: DSD (Direct Digital Stream) is an audio format utilized for high-resolution formats like SACD, transmitted via HDMI cable, to minimize information loss and maintain audio signal purity. The High Quality Digital Audio Transmission System (H.A.T.S.) function transmits signals from a Super Audio CD player connected via an HDMI connection with high quality.
Sony DLL (Digital Legato Linear) Audio Scaler: The Sony DLL Audio Scaler analyzes and upscales standard definition (compressed) audio signals (44.1kHz/48kHz/96kHz) to 192kHz. It's effective for USB and network content.
Sound Optimizer: No longer do you have to miss out on a movie's dynamic sound effects when you need to keep the volume low; the sound optimizer enables you to hear the smallest sound effect at low volumes. This dynamic feature gives you the best reproduction of sound effects while keeping the intended sound stage at high or low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
Advanced Auto Volume: Advanced Auto Volume adjusts the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DA5800ES offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has three optical digital inputs and three coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Phono Input: The Sony AV receiver is fitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
- Multi-Channel Inputs: This unit has discrete 7.1-channel analog inputs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, Sub) for connecting DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players or an external decoder.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for all speaker connections (Front A, Front B, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Zone 2, & Front High). The binding post speaker terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12-gauge), banana plugs (single/dual), or pin-connectors. This receiver can accept 4-ohm to 16-ohm speakers.
- 7.2ch Preamp Outputs: The AV receiver features 7.2-channel pre-amp outputs (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
11 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DA5800ES is equipped with 10 HD inputs. Nine HDMI v.1.4 inputs let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI (1080p/4k): The receiver is equipped with nine HDMI v.1.4 inputs (8 rear/1 front) for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All nine HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 1080p video; as well as 3D video. The rear-panel HDMI 1/HDMI 2 and front-panel HDMI 9 inputs also support 4k pass-through. In addition, there are two HDMI v.1.4 monitor outputs (ARC capable) that feed audio/video signals to up to two TVs. You can toggle or simultaneously output the same video between two displays, such as two televisions or a television plus a projector. There is also a third HDMI (v1.4) Zone 2 output, so you can view a different audio/video source in another room of your home.
- Component Video (1080i): This unit features 2 component video inputs (1080i capable) and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
HDMI Upconvert/Upscale (4k): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of standard-definition analog connected devices to high-definition quality. Analog connected device signals (component/composite) are converted to digital, upscaled, and output via HDMI (up to 4k), making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. The STR-DA5800ES also has a Direct mode which bypasses the receiver's upconverter/upscaler to display the connected source's native signal.
Note: Composite video signal can also be upconverted/upscaled to component video (up to 1080i) and component video signal can be down-converted to composite video (480i only).
Faroudja DCDi Cinema Technology: The STR-DA5800ES is equipped with Faroudja DCDi Cinema IC technology to help correct jaggedness often seen after I/P (Interlace/Progressive) conversion. This produces a smooth, high-definition-quality picture.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DA5800ES is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
HDMI Preview: HDMI Preview provides live video thumbnails of the available content on your devices connected to the receiver via HDMI (1-4). As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to 4 HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV, while enjoying viewing another source input.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-1200 msec or set to Auto.
Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The STR-DA5800ES supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
Front AV Input: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel AV input which consists of a composite video input, stereo audio RCA input, and HDMI input.
Network Connection: The Sony STR-DA5800ES AV receiver is equipped with four Ethernet (RJ-45) ports so you can use the receiver as a hub and connect your other network components to your router through the AV receiver. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select Internet services and audio/video media stored on your window-based PC to your home AV system. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 b/g compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
DLNA Certified: By connecting the Sony STR-DA5800ES to your home's network you can enjoy content from your home network; such as photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), videos (MPEG/WMV9/AVCHD/Xvid), & music (MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the Sony AV receiver. The receiver can recognize up to 999 files from one DLNA server. Videos can only be played back in standard-definition. The Sony STR-DA5800ES's DLNA function supports Windows-based PCs only. If you have a Windows 7-based computer, use the Windows Media Player 12 bundled with Windows 7. If you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista-based computer, install Windows Media Player 11 software.
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Bravia Entertainment Network: The Sony STR-DA5800ES receiver has the capability to stream select audio/video content from the Internet, through Sony's Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Online Movie Services: You can view select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Netflix(5.1ch), Hulu Plus, Vudu, Video Unlimited, CinemaNow, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and more.
- Online Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; vTuner, Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker, NPR, and more. The STR-DA5800ES will display station name and program-related information on your TV, via the receiver's on-screen menu (HDMI only). You can store up to 20 of your favorite internet radio stations.
Note: Visit the Sony Entertainment Network for a full list of the latest internet content. Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Favorites: You can save up to 18 favorite Internet content items for quicker, easier access.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DA5800ES has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Software/Firmware Update: By downloading the latest version of software/firmware from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software/firmware through its hardwired network connection. The tested AV receiver contained software/firmware version 0.939, with an immediate update for software/firmware version 0.973 (as of 11/1/2012). Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Front-Panel USB Port: The AV receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) ports allow you to play photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), videos (MPEG/WMV9/AVCHD/Xvid), & music (MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC) files on a connected USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB Device must be formatted in FAT12/16/32. The receiver can recognize up to 500 files per device. You are able to control Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (previous/next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected USB device. The receiver will also charge your USB device while connected to the front-panel USB port (1A).
iPod/iPhone/iPad Connection: The Sony STR-DA5800ES supports audio & video playback of your iPod, iPhone, or iPad through its front-panel USB port and AV input.
- Audio Playback: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The USB connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your Apple device. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the system's on-screen menu and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Song/artist information and Album Art will display on your connected TV. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged (max. 1A) while connected.
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad 4, or iPad mini to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, the Sony STR-DA5800ES AV receiver supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI or Component video connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-DA5800ES on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Multi-Zone: The Sony STR-DA5800ES AV receiver allows you to enjoy the same or different audio/video sources in the three different rooms of your home.
- Main Zone: The Main Zone offers 9.2-channel playback of all your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room.
- Zone 2: Tuner, Analog, HDMI, USB, and Network input sources are supported in Zone 2 (optical/coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 2). Zone 2 features line-level and speaker audio outputs. This way, Zone 2 can be powered by a separate amplifier (keeping 9.2ch playback in your main room) or by the STR-DA5800ES's built-in amplifier (limiting the main room to 7.2ch). The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output. The Sony AV receiver also provides a Zone 2 HDMI, Component, or Composite video output, so two different HDMI, Component, or Composite video feeds can be sent to two different displays at the same time directly from the receiver (you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your receiver for that particular source; there is no video-conversion or scaling for Zone 2). HDMI Zone 2 will also output audio signals (2ch only) for the HDMI input source selected (volume controlled by secondary TV or additional receiver). The audio/video capabilities of main zone will be limited by that of Zone 2 when you select the same HDMI input function for both Main zone and Zone 2. The receiver also features a Zone 2 RJ-45 video output that can be used for custom installation by a qualified installer. The Zone 2 RJ-45 video output can send a source video signal to the component video input of a display monitor in another room of your home (requires a CAV-CVB1 component video balum, sold separately). The RJ-45 pinouts use the T568B standard (do not use this jack for an Ethernet LAN connection).
- Zone 3: Zone 3 allows playback of an analog audio source in 2-channel stereo in a third room of your home. Zone 3 only features stereo line-level outputs, so a separate power amplifier is needed to power the speakers in this zone. Tuner, Analog, USB, and Network input sources are supported in Zone 3 (Video, HDMI, and optical/coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 3). The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver or your add-on integrated amplifier.
Programmable Ambiance: With the STR-DA5800ES, you can create, save, and launch pre-programmed scenes and moods. For instance, choose "Watch A Movie" and the lights dim, the volume and EQ adjust to where you want, the inputs switch, and your home theater comes alive. It even lets you create scenes for all of your entertainment options, whether it's movie watching, music for private listening or a house party, or for late nighttime viewing.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Settings Lock: The STR-DA5800ES lets you lock the settings of the receiver, so they are not inadvertently changed.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps; Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
AC Outlets: The Sony STR-DA5800ES is fitted with two switched AC outlets to plug in your AV gear.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAU154) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also program this remote to control non-Sony audio/video components through the receiver's on-screen menu and setup wizard. The remote even has a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Sony ES Remote App: Download Sony's free ES Remote app from the iTunes or Google Play app stores and use your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to control the Sony AV receiver. You'll be able to browse and operate the receiver's functions and settings on your mobile device without displaying it on the TV. The Sony ES Remote app handles basic AV receiver operations (turning on and off the power, adjusting the volume, switching input sources, switching sound fields, etc.) as well as Zone functions. That way, you can easily operate the AV receiver from the screen of your Apple iOS or Android device; even in another room. The app is even equipped with a DMC (Digital Media Controller) function which enables high sound quality playback of Internet service content and music files on your NAS or PC through the Sony ES Remote app. The Sony ES Remote app requires that the Sony AV receiver and your Apple iOS or Android device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
Note: The Sony ES Remote App from iTunes is compatible with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (running iOS 4.0 or later). The Sony ES Remote app from Google Play is compatible with Android 2.3 or later.
Control System Integration: The STR-DA5800ES is Control4 Certified and features Crestron Connect and AMX Beacon. It's also controllable over IP, includes 12V trigger output, RS-232C port and IR input/outputs for more installation options.
- Control4: With the help of an authorized Sony ES or Control4 dealer, the full power of the STR-DA5800ES receiver can be unlocked to support expanded home automation including multi-zone audio, lighting and shades, security, appliances and almost anything else you can imagine. You can operate Control4-compatible lighting devices in your home via the on-screen GUI with the supplied remote control, or via the ES Remote app on your Apple iOS or Android device. You can turn those devices on or off, or adjust their lighting level. You can also save your favorite settings as scenes and call up them quickly. To enjoy Lighting Control, connect the supplied Lighting Control Adapter (UWA-C4Z) to the UWA-C4Z port on the rear of the receiver. Then prepare the Control4- compatible lighting devices (sold separately), and set them up in advance.
- RS-232C Port: The STR-DA5800ES includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as AMX and Crestron.
- IP Control: You can control this AV receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The STR-DA5800ES and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
- IR Input/Outputs: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with one IR input and four IR outputs (4 IR blasters included) enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door.
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The STR-DA5800ES has three minijack outputs (Main/Zone1/Zone2) to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to other components that accepts a 12V trigger.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
my understanding is that is, if you buy a wireless adapter receiver that plugs into the 5800 and than talks to your cable modem or router. i checked on this with crutchfield, and they sell the adapter for about $100. since i already had a roku XD, i never bothered with the 5800es wifi capability [ JAMES R Dec 03, 2013 ]
No it is not wifi capable A broadband line connection to the internet is required in order to enjoy Internet video or to use the software update function of the receiver. The receiver does not support a connection with transmission speeds of 1 Gbps or greater. [ JEFF Dec 03, 2013 ]
Yes it is. The setup is very simple and easy. It automatically accepted my wireless router. Plenty of power to run 9 speakers. The BEST receiver I ever bought. [ JOHN H Dec 03, 2013 ]