Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Winds are swirling overhead. The rumble of a distant storm echoes off the walls of the mountain pass. Then a sudden sizzling burst of lightning strikes the canyon just above and behind you, nearly causing you to fly out of your comfy chair. Welcome to movie night with your Sony STR-DH830, a receiver that'll deliver big home theater thrills — and much more.
Get engrossed in the action
Seven channels of amplification breathe life into your favorite films, video games, TV shows, and music. You can connect up to seven speakers in the usual home theater configuration — three speakers across the front, plus a pair of surrounds beside your listening position and another pair in back. Or you can set up a pair of "front height" speakers instead of the surround back channels, and experience more pronounced vertical sound effects with Dolby® Pro Logic IIz processing. You also get decoding for Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD™ Master Audio — high-resolution surround sound formats which lend even greater realism to many Blu-ray movies and concerts.
Have more fun with your iPod® or iPhone®
The STR-DH830's front-panel USB input lets you connect your iPhone, docking iPod, or even your iPad®. You'll bypass the Apple's built-in DAC and audio circuitry, sending a clean digital music signal directly to the receiver, for more precise sound. And another huge plus — you can browse the music on your portable player via the 'DH830's on-screen display. Sit back with the remote, and navigate through artists, albums and tracks on your TV. (Sweet.)
The receiver also comes with a dock (it doesn't fit your iPad, but works fine with the smaller Apple devices). You can connect the dock to the receiver's front panel to watch videos from your iPod or iPhone on your TV. The dock also charges your player's battery.
Better connections, fewer entanglements
Five HDMI inputs let you connect your high-definition video components and switch easily between them. Analog-to-HDMI conversion allows you to send all of your video sources — old and new — to your HDTV using a single HDMI cable. This process can also upconvert analog video sources to 1080p HDMI digital signals, for a smoother, more detailed look on your HDTV. The 'DH830's Audio Return Channel function even allows audio signals to be sent from your compatible HDTV's tuner back to the receiver via HDMI — fewer cables to snarl.
Smart auto setup tailors the sound to your room
Sony's auto calibration makes home theater setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DH830 automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker in your system. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 95 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Pro Logic® IIz, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for accurate and easy automatic speaker setup
Digital Music Options:
- iPod®/iPhone® video and music playback with included dock
- iPod/iPhone/iPad® connectivity via front-panel USB port
- Portable Audio Enhancer for improved sound quality with MP3s and other digital music files
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (5 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 2 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- advanced on-screen graphical user interface (via HDMI only)
- remote control
- 60 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 12-7/8"D
- weight: 18.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony STR-DH830 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Returned an Onkyo for this Sony..good decision. The 830 is pretty loud. It may lack the bottom end at high volumes the Onkyo possessed. All around great receiver for the money!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Upgraded from a JVC w/analog inputs. This is exactly what I was looking for. Easy setup and great sound. This unit coupled with my Logitech Harmony 1000 and I'm a very happy "camper". Can now keep the TV on one input which the wife loves as she is not remote literate,
Pros: Easy setup. Auto setup of the speakers is great, worked great the first time. Fewer wires running to the TV.
Great Receiver for the Price
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Receiver does what I wanted it for. Easy install with HDMI cables. Interacts with Samsung HD TV well. Drives my 7 speakers well - good power for room size approx. 15X20. May get a new 3D TV will see how it interfaces with that. Speaker calibration mic worked better than I thought it would - didn't even tweek set up just went with auto
Pros: Easy install - good power for price - syncs with other components well
Cons: can't use remote as universal - no way to change channels. Not a deal breaker but thought worth noting
Sony once again satisfies...
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Outstanding Value; extremely simple setup, speaker calibration a nice touch. Truly pleased with this purchase.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
this is a very nice for the money have had it a couple days now still learning all the stuff on it ! love the 7.1 im upgradeing from a jvc 5.1 unit that didnt even have a powered sub all i watch is hd and my sharp aqous linked right up as did the play station
Pros: User frindly for thoose who are some what tec savy
It's a nice receiver for the money, featurewise, but there are some puzzling parts to it. For one thing, although it has many different soundfields, it's is impossible to determine how to use the digital formats like DTS or Dolby Digital. The Neo and Dolby Surround seem to work fine, but I can never get it to choose DTS soundtrack over the two channel version (which is recreated into 5.1 using NEO).
Also, the onscreen display is useless. It takes forever to load and isn't an overlay, it actually takes you to a black screen.
Pros: Has a lot of features
Cons: Despite having several advance receivers over the years, I cannot figure out how to use this one.
My two previous receivers were from Sony and I was happy with both. All I really needed was additional HDMI inputs and a reasonable amount of power, so this seemed like a good deal. After getting it connected, I decided to return it almost immediately.
The deal breakers were:
* When switching from a hi-def to a standard-def channel, the picture wouldn't be shown correctly as 4:3. It would be stretched to fill the entire screen. The only way I found to fix this was to call up the receiver's on-screen menu, then exit it. * When powering on the receiver, if the satellite receiver happened to be on a standard-def signal, the colors would be wrong. (I think yellow was missing.) Changing to a hi-def channel and back seemed to fix it.
Pros: Good features for the price (if they work correctly)
Cons: Poor support for real-world situations where not every signal will use the same format. If you're a less sophisticated "fill the screen at all costs" user and don't mind the picture being distorted, you might not notice any problems.
What's in the box?
- 7.1ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU106)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone with attached 15' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP30)
- 4' Composite video cable
- 42" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- GUI Menu List (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Dock for iPod/iPhone instructions
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Features and Specs
7.1ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DH830 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 95 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) and a subwoofer preamp output for a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater application. The Surround Back/Front Height channels provide different amplifier configurations to suit your home AV application.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.1 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers in Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode. No Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH830 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DH830 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from the following HD-D.C.S modes - Dynamic, Theater, Studio, Berlin Philharmonic Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, Portable Audio.
Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjusts the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Night Mode: Night Mode lets you retain a theater-like environment at low volume levels.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH830 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel speakers and spring clip terminals for the surround, surround back/front height, and center channel speakers.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH830 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
7 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DH830 is equipped with five HD inputs. Five HDMI v.1.4 inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with five HDMI v.1.4 inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All five HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI v.1.4 output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
HDMI Upconvert/Upscale (1080i): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of analog connected devices to near HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite) are converted to digital, upscaled, and output via HDMI (up to 1080i), making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. Requires connection via HDMI cable (sold separately) to equivalent HDTV. Upconverted image and sound quality will vary depending on source.
3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DH830 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Front A/V Input: The Sony STR-DH-830 is equipped with a front-panel A/V input which consists of a composite video input and stereo audio RCA input.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files - MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), and AAC (48-320 kbps). The receiver can recognize up to 100 folders and 100 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (previous/next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device. The receiver will also charge your Sony USB device while connected to the front-panel USB port (0.5A).
Note: See page 46 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone/iPad Connection: The Sony STR-DH830 provides two-types of connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- USB Port: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The USB connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your Apple device. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the system's on-screen menu and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Song/artist information and Album Art will display on your connected TV. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged (max. 0.5A) while connected.
- External Dock: The Sony STR-DH830 also comes with an external iPod/iPhone dock which allows you to listen to audio and watch video from select iPods/iPhones through the AV receiver and your connected TV (via HDMI). Your iPod/iPhone's video will be upconverted from the receiver's front-panel composite video input to the receiver HDMI output to your connected TV. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, and Rented Movies stored on your iPod/iPhone using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control. The external dock will also charge your connected iPod/iPhone. The included dock does not support the iPad.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, the Sony STR-DH830 AV receiver supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 1/14/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps; Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAU106) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.