Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
You can depend on Sony's STR-DN1020 to bring out the best sound with Blu-ray movies, DVDs, TV shows, and video games. It can pump out 100 watts of amplification to each of your home theater speakers, plus it has onboard processing for the latest digital surround sound formats. But examine the 'DN1020 just a bit closer and you'll soon learn that it does a whole lot more.
Cable clutter out sublime picture quality in
The 'DN1020's 1080p-compatible HDMI switching lets you connect up to four high-definition video components. With both audio and video signals going via HDMI, you'll have convenient single-cable connections to your compatible high-def components, and just one cable running to your TV. Plus, the 'DN1020's Faroudja DCDi Edge® video processing helps you get a better picture with older video sources like a VCR or non-HD cable box: just hook them up to the receiver with analog cables, and it sends a cleaner-looking digital signal to your TV via HDMI.
Immerse yourself in the digital entertainment stream
The STR-DN1020 features an Ethernet port to connect to your home network. Watch movies, listen to songs and view photos stored on your computer. Access a virtually limitless variety of free music via Internet radio stations streaming from around the world, or choose from a growing variety of online music services. You can also add a SIRIUS satellite tuner (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional home tuner kit).
Free parking for your iPod® with the included dock
The 'DN1020 comes with an iPod dock that gives you an easy way to listen to music and video recorded on your player. And with a free app download, you can also use your iPod touch®, iPhone®, or Android handset as a Wi-Fi® controller for your system that even lets you search for entertainment.
Easy system setup and control
Sony knows that there are acoustic hurdles that can make setting up your system a time-consuming hassle. That's why they've included their auto speaker calibration, which takes away the pain, making setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DN1020 automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers. And with Sony's intuitive on-screen menu, selecting sources and preferences is just a convenient click away.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Pro Logic® IIz, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p) with Faroudja® DCDi Edge processing
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for accurate and easy automatic speaker setup
Digital Music Options:
- iPod®/iPhone® video and music playback with included dock
- Ethernet connection enables streaming music, photos, and videos from DLNA-compliant computers, plus Internet radio access
- Portable Audio Enhancer for improved sound quality with MP3s and other digital music files on a portable music player or thumb drive
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional home tuner kit)
- front-panel USB input for easy playback of digital music files
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- Ethernet port
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- four audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 3 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs (use of a second set for main output limits the system to 5.1 channels in the main room)
- dual line-level subwoofer outputs
- free Sony remote app lets you use your iPod touch, iPhone or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- advanced on-screen graphical user interface
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- multibrand remote
- 90 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-3/16"H x 12-15/16"D
- weight: 16.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony STR-DN1020 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
My experience with this new aplifier thats is substituting my old STR-DN895, this new amp got my POLK speakera and put them sound better than Cinemas, the function of the MIcrophhone for calibratint, took the accoustics of my room and optimized to the perfection.
Unlucky the 1st time - Perfect the 2nd time
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The review is the same as the Pros and Cons written below:
Pros: I needed a moderately priced up-to-date Sony AV receiver to replace my old one which had not HDMI inputs and outputs. This model is very easy to set up and very easy to use, if you are familiar with Sony AV products!
Cons: I would have given this AV receiver 5 stars had the lst one I'd purchased not had a problem. Thanks, to Crutchfied (from whom I've been purchasing AV products for nearly 28 years now!) attentive customer service and technical staff, I was able to return the defective one free of charge and get a new one in exchange! The new one has been working wonderfully!
What's in the box?
- 7.1ch Network AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAP063)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone with attached 15' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- iPod/iPhone dock
- 4' Composite video cable
- 42" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- GUI Menu List (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Dock for iPod/iPhone instructions
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Features and Specs
7.2ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DN1020 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) and dual subwoofer preamp outputs for a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater application. The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for all speaker outputs - Front A, Center Channel, Surround, Surround Back/Front Height/Front B. The Surround Back/Front Height/Front B speaker terminals provide various amplifier configurations to suit your home AV application.
- 7.2-Channel: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.2 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers in Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.2ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house.
- Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (provides better sound quality for front speakers).
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
Audio Formats: This receiver supports the following audio formats when connected to a Blu-ray disc player, DVD player, or Satellite receiver/Cable box via HDMI or coaxial/optical digital connection.
|Audio Format||Maximum # of channels||Connection Type|
|Dolby Digital||5.1ch||HDMI, Coaxial/Optical|
|Dolby Digital EX||6.1ch||HDMI, Coaxial/Optical|
|Dolby Digital Plus||7.1ch||HDMI|
|DTS 96/24||5.1ch||HDMI, Coaxial/Optical|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio||7.1ch||HDMI|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||7.1ch||HDMI|
|Multi-Channel Linear PCM||7.1ch||HDMI|
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Music/Movie Modes: You can take advantage of surround sound simply be selecting one of the receiver's preprogrammed sound fields to bring the exciting and powerful sound of movie theaters and concert halls into your home.
|Content Type||Sound Field||Effect|
Movie: The Movie mode surround fields provide exciting and powerful sound for a movie theater experience in your home.
HD-D.C.S: Each effect type has different reflection and reverberation sound mixture levels and is optimized to match a listener's room uniqueness, taste, and mood.
|Dynamic: Acoustically opens up your room and provides a spacious and dynamic sound.|
|Theater: Mixes reflection and reverberation sound creating the characteristics of a mastering studio.|
|Studio: Provides the accuracy of the original recording.|
|Dolby Pro Logic II Movie||Converts 2-channel stereo recorded audio into 5.1-channel for movie playback.|
|Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie||Converts 5.1-channel and 2-channel recorded audio into either 7.1-channel or 6.1-channel for movie playback.|
|Dolby Pro Logic IIz Movie||Brings a vertical aspect to the movie sound field through the addition of left and right front-height speakers. It decodes non-directional elements in the audio-mix and reproduces them from the height-speakers, giving an enhanced sense of depth and airiness to the movie sound field.|
|Neo: 6 Cinema||Converts 2-channel stereo recorded audio for 7-channel cinema playback.|
Music: The Music mode surround fields provide exciting and powerful sound for a live concert experience in your home.
|Hall||Reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall.|
|Jazz Club||Reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club.|
|Live Concert||Reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house|
|Stadium||Reproduces the feeling of a large open-air stadium|
|Sports||Reproduces the feeling of sports broadcasting.|
|Portable Audio||Reproduces a clear enhanced sound image from your portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3 and other compressed music.|
|Dolby Pro Logic II Music||Converts 2-channel stereo recorded audio into 5.1 channel for music playback.|
|Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music||Converts 5.1-channel and 2-channel recorded audio into either 7.1-channel or 6.1-channel for music playback.|
|Dolby Pr Logic IIz Music||Brings a vertical aspect to the music sound field through the addition of left and right front-height speakers. It decodes non-directional elements in the audio-mix and reproduces them from the height-speakers, giving an enhanced sense of depth and airiness to the music sound field.|
|Neo:6 Music||Converts 2-channel stereo recorded audio for 7-channel music playback.|
Headphone: You can only select the following sound fields, if your headphones are connected to the receiver.
|Headphone (2ch)||This mode is select automatically if you use headphones when 2ch Stereo mode or AFD mode is selected. Standard 2-channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multichannel surround formats are downmixed to 2-channels except LFE signals.|
|Headphone (Direct)||Outputs the analog signals without processing by the tone or sound field control.|
Two Channel Modes: The Sony receiver offers the following two-channel audio modes:
|Two Channel Mode||2-Channel Audio Effect|
|Two Channel Stereo||Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.|
|Two Channel Analog Direct||Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active|
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DN1020 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver.
Manual Speaker Setup: The Manual Speaker Setup menu allows you to set the size, distance from your seating position, and location of the speakers connected to the receiver. The following adjustments are available:
- Speaker Pattern: 2/0 to 5/2.1
- Speaker Size: Front, Center, Surround, and Surround-Back (Large or Small)
- Speaker Distance: Front, Center, Surround, Surround-Back, and Subwoofer (3'3" to 32'9", in 1' intervals)
- Crossover Frequency: Sets crossover point for speakers set to small (40-200 Hz, in 10 Hz steps).
- Level Adjustment: The receiver employs a test tone with a frequency centered at 800Hz which allows you to adjust the speaker levels and balance while listening to the audible tone from your listening position. You can adjust the level of all the connected speakers and subwoofer from -10 dB to +10 dB, in 0.5 dB steps.
Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
6 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DN1020 is equipped with four HD inputs. Four HDMI 1.4 inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All four HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI (v.1.4) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
HDMI Upconvert/Upscale (1080p): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of analog connected devices to near HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite: 480i) are converted to digital, upscaled, and output via HDMI (up to 1080p), making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible.
Note: Requires connection via HDMI cable (sold separately) to equivalent HDTV. Upconverted image and sound quality will vary depending on source.
3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DN1020 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections.
Note: 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Note: x.v. Color and Deep Color technology are supported only when source product, HDMI cable, media and HDTV all support those features.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. A/V Sync can be done automatically or manually.
- HDMI Auto: The time gap between audio output and visual display for the TV connected via HDMI will be adjusted automatically based on the information from the TV. This feature is available only when the TV supports the A/V Sync function.
- Manual: The delay can be adjusted from 0 to 300ms (in 10 ms increments), manually.
Front A/V Input: The Sony STR-DH-720 is equipped with a front-panel A/V input which consists of a composite video input and stereo audio RCA jacks.
Network Connection: The Sony STR-DN1020 A/V receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port which allows you to connect the receiver to your home network. By connecting the A/V receiver to your home network you are able to stream select Internet Radio services and audio/video media stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony A/V receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for connection.
Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy the web's most popular internet radio services from Slacker, vTuner, and many more - from this ever growing list of content providers (as of June 2011). The STR-DN1020 will display station name and program-related information on your TV, via the receiver's on-screen menu (HDMI only). You can store up to 20 of your favorite internet radio stations.
- vTuner: The Sony A/V Receiver uses the free online vTuner service to allow easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.
- Slacker: Slacker is a free, personalized Internet radio service that lets you choose the music you want to listen to. You can choose Internet radio stations by genre, or create custom stations by Artist name or Song title.
Note: Broadband Internet connection required. Audio quality will vary and is dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Select content provided subject to change. Premium content may require additional fees, a subscription , and/or PC registration.
DLNA Certified Media Player: By connecting the Sony STR-DN120 to your home's network, you can listen to music stored on your DLNA compliant PC through your home's entertainment system. The Sony STR-DN1020's media player function supports Windows-based PCs only. If you have a Windows 7-based computer, use the Windows Media Player 12 bundled with Windows 7. If you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista-based computer, install Windows Media Player 11 software. The receiver supports the following media files.
|Linear PCM||Sampling Rate: 44.1, 48 kHz,
|MP3||Sampling Rate: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: 32-320 kbps
|WMA||Sampling Rate: up to 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 385 kbps
|AAC||Sampling Rate: 8, 11.025, 12, 16,
22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 576 kbps
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its hardwired network connection. The A/V receiver tested featured software version 1.05 (as of June 2011).
Note: Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files - MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), and AAC (48-320 kbps). The receiver can recognize up to 100 folders and 100 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (previous/next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device.
Note: See page 46 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone AV Dock: The Sony STR-DN1020 includes an iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP30) which allows you to playback music and videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the Sony AV receiver. The iPod/iPhone dock connects to the receiver's front-panel USB port and front-panel composite video input. The iPod/iPhone is controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while docked (when receiver is On).
- Music Playback: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, you can listen to music stored on your Apple iPod/iPhone through the Sony AV receiver. The USB connection bypasses your iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the receiver's built-in DACs for better sound quality. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on the receiver's front-panel LCD or your connected TV screen (via HDMI). You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, Song, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions.
- Video Playback: The included iPod/iPhone dock also lets you watch videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the AV receiver and your connected TV (via HDMI). Your iPod/iPhone's video will be upconverted from the receiver's front-panel composite video input to the receiver HDMI output to your connected TV. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, and Rented Movies stored on your iPod/iPhone using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, the Sony STR-DN1020 AV receiver supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of March 2011).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Zone: In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio/video playback from a different source in another room (Zone 2) of your home using the receiver's Zone 2 Line Output.
Zone 2 Line Output: The receiver's Zone 2 Line Output consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks. By using the line-level outputs on the Sony STR-DN1020, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier, and video monitor in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1ch surround in the main room and 2ch stereo playback of a different audio/video source in another room of your home. The volume of the secondary zone is controlled by your Zone 2's integrated amplifier.
Compatible Zone Sources: Only Tuner and analog (audio/video)input sources are processed through Zone 2.
Note: You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for your main room and Zone 2.
Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital, HDMI, Network, and USB audio sources are not output to Zone 2.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DN1020 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready (optional): The optional SiriusConnect Home Tuner kit (item number 607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, both sold separately) allows you to receive Sirius Satellite Radio through the receiver, you can search Sirius radio stations by channel number, category, or direct tuning; you can also choose to display the channel name, channel number, category, artist name, song title, or composer. You can store up to 30 Sirius channels as presets.
On-Screen Display: You can set-up and control the A/V receiver with its intuitive on-screen graphical user interface (GUI). The OSD will output through the receiver's HDMI output.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAP063) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also program this remote to control non-Sony audio/video components. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
iPod touch/iPhone Remote Control: Download the free "AV Receiver Remote" app to your iPhone® or iPod touch® and turn it into a versatile remote - control the receiver, access music, search entertainment and more.
Note: Application must be downloaded from the iTunes application store. Requires that the AV Receiver and the iPhone or iPod touch be connected to the same home network with the iPhone or iPod touch connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
IR In/Out: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with a 3.5mm IR input/output which accepts IR repeater systems, enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door or controlling the receiver's Zone 2.
Bravia Widget Control: You can connect the Sony STR-DN1020 to select Sony 2011 televisions and experience an integrated user interface on-screen; enabling on-screen feedback and control function.
Note: Can be used only when receiver is connected to a Sony EX620, EX630, EX720, EX820, EX830, NX830, HX820, HX830, or HX930 series Bravia HDTV via HDMI cable (sold separately).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.