Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The STR-DA3000ES employs innovative digital processing and amplification to deliver truly explosive home theater excitement! Sony's new Digital Drive amplifier technology allows this receiver to pump out an incredible 150 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7, for surround sound that's both ultra-precise and totally enveloping. The 'DA3000ES also boasts dual 32-bit processors that drive a full complement of surround processing options, including Dolby Digital® EX, DTS-ES®, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6 modes, and Dolby Pro Logic® II. You can even set this receiver to automatically convert 5.1 and 6.1-channel Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks into thrilling 7.1 sound.
Dual-room/dual-source A/V output lets you and a housemate watch different video sources in two rooms at the same time. You'll be able to enjoy 7.1 surround in your main room, while sending stereo audio to your 2nd room (requires receiver, amplifier, TV, or powered speakers in 2nd room). The 'DA3000ES even comes with two remotes a learning/multibrand LCD remote with programmable macros for complete system control in your home theater room, plus a basic A/V remote for use in your second room.
Another great feature is advanced video conversion that lets you send all your video sources to your main-room TV through one component video connection! The front and back panel also offer plenty of connectivity to let you build a killer system. You get 7 digital inputs, 5 S-video inputs, HDTV-compatible component video switching, and more! A 7.1 preamp output paves the way for future system expansion, and a 7.1 input (in addition to a separate 5.1 input) keeps you ready for future formats. Front-panel A/V and optical digital inputs allow fast, easy hookup of game systems, camcorders, and portable audio players.
The 'DA3000ES's heavy-duty construction reflects the ES commitment to quality in every detail, including an ultra-sturdy frame-and-beam chassis, an anti-resonant aluminum front panel, and dual power supplies. This meticulous attention to every aspect of the receiver's build allows it to deliver consistently excellent A/V performance every time you turn it on!
- 150 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.6% THD
- Digital Drive amplifier
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic II
- Sony Digital Cinema Sound modes
- dual 32-bit processors
- digital and analog multichannel bass management
- video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
- dual-room/dual-source A/V output (composite video and stereo preamp output for 2nd room, volume control for 2nd room output)
- learning/multibrand LCD remote with macros
- 2nd A/V remote for 2nd room
- 7.1-channel preamp output
- two multichannel analog inputs (one 7.1, one 5.1)
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (80MHz)
- digital inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 4 audio (including phono), 5 A/V (including 5 S-video & 1 front-panel) inputs
- on-screen display
- Control S, for simplified operation of compatible Sony gear
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- 20 FM/10 AM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-7/8"H x 19-1/8"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony ES STR-DA3000ES Reviews
What's in the box?
- Silver AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-LG112)
- 2nd Zone Remote Control (RM-US106)
- 4 "AA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord (with attached noise filter)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached push-on coax connector
- Receiver Operating Instructions
- RM-LG112 Remote Commander Operating Instructions
- RM-US106 Remote Commander Operating Instructions
- Easy Setup Guide
- Important Safeguards
- Owner Registration Card
- Warranty sheet
- Correction to Receiver Operating Instructions
- Warning sheet concerning radio/TV interference
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
Features and Specs
32-Bit Processors: This receiver employs dual 32-bit processors, providing precise surround decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Pro Logic, and Dolby Pro Logic II, plus Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes.
7-channel Amplifier: This receiver drives 150 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels of power.
Surround Back Decoding: This function lets you select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. When you select "Auto" and the input stream contains 6.1-channel information, the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal (Dolby Digital EX, DTS Matrix, or DTS Discrete decoder). When you select "Matrix", Dolby Digital EX is applied to decode the surround back signal regardless of the 6.1-channel (or 5.1-channel) information. In either mode, if two surround back speakers are connected, the output will be 7.1 channels. When "Off" is selected, no surround back decoding is performed.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music)
- DTS (including DTS 96/24)
- DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
- DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
- Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Virtual Multi Dimension (Digital Cinema Sound)
- D.Concert Hall A
- D.Concert Hall B
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2-channels.
- Direct: outputs the signals without digital processing by the equalizer or soundfields
- Multi 1/Multi 2: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Effect Level: the "presence" of the surround effect may be adjusted from 20% to 120% in 5% steps
- Front Balance: -8dB to +8dB in 0.5dB steps
- Center Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Left Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Right Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Left Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Right Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Subwoofer Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Multi-Ch 1 Subwoofer Level: the level may be increased by +10dB
- Multi-Ch 2 Subwoofer Level: the level may be increased by +10dB
- Dynamic Range Compressor: allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You may select standard or maximum compression. Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital sources.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality of each speaker using the EQ menu, plus you can store up to 5 different equalizer settings in EQ Preset 1-5. With the built-in EQ, you can independently adjust the parameters, from -10dB to +10dB, of the following:
- Front Speakers: bass and treble levels
- Center Speaker: bass, midrange and treble levels
- Surround/Surround Back Speakers: bass and treble levels
- Center Speaker Midrange Frequency: choose from 100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, or 10kHz
Dual Zone/Dual Source Operation: This receiver allows you to output line-level stereo audio and composite video signals from a connected component to a 2nd zone, regardless of the source selected in the main zone. In the 2nd zone, you will need a separate receiver/amplifier and speakers, or a TV/monitor for amplifying and displaying the audio and video signals. The audio signals are variable, and the volume can be controlled by a supplied 2nd Zone remote control (RM-US106). From the remote, you can select any source (except Phono and Multi-Channel 1 & 2) connected via analog inputs, and, in some cases, control the basic functions of the connected source component.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Two Remote Controls: The STR-DA3000ES is equipped with two remotes: the main receiver remote (RM-LG112) and a remote control for the 2nd Zone (RM-US106).
- Main Receiver Remote (RM-LG112)
- Learning/Multibrand Remote: The main receiver remote is pre-coded to control Sony A/V equipment and most brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, tape decks, LD players, video CD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers, satellite tuners and cable boxes. In addition, this remote can learn up to 80 infrared commands from remotes of other components. A single-line LCD at the top of the remote shows the source currently being controlled. The LCD has an amber backlight that stays illuminated for 3 seconds after a new source is selected.
- Macro Play: Up to 2 macros, each with a maximum of 10 steps, can be stored in the remote, allowing you to perform a series of operations at the push of a button.
- 2nd Zone Remote (RM-US106):
You can control several functions on the receiver from a 2nd zone with this
remote. In order to use the 2nd zone remote, you will need to connect an
optional IR repeater system to the receiver. The 2nd zone IR remote can
perform the following functions:
- Switching output sources for the 2nd zone
- Switching the main receiver's power on/off in the 2nd zone
- Adjusting the volume of the main receiver in the 2nd zone
- Perform basic functions on connected IR-compatible components
Assignable Digital Inputs: The receiver's digital inputs (2 Coaxial, 5 Optical) can be assigned (labeled) to the specific component connected to that input.
Video Up-conversion: This receiver can up-convert composite video signals to S-video signals or component video signals. It can also up-convert S-video signals to component video signals. However, you cannot convert component video signals to composite or S-video signals. This allows you to output video to your television using one signal type, regardless of the number of different video input signal types.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for all speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The minimum recommended impedance for the front speaker outputs (A or B) is 4 ohms. If you plan on playing A + B simultaneously, the minimum recommended impedance for both sets of speaker outputs is 8 ohms. The recommended minimum impedance for the center, left and right surround and left and right back surround is 4 ohms. There is no 4-ohm/8-ohm impedance switch on this receiver. If you connect only one surround back speaker, it should be connected to the left surround back speaker terminal.
Multi-Channel Inputs: The receiver is equipped with two multi-channel inputs for high-quality analog components such as SACD or DVD-Audio: Multi-channel input 1 can be used to input either a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel analog sources; Multi-channel input 2 can be used to input a 5.1-channel analog source.
Control A1 II: The Control A1 II Control System was designed to simplify the operation of audio systems composed of separate Sony components. Control A1 II connections provide a path for the transmission of control signals, which enable automatic operation and control features usually associated with integrated systems. This receiver has a single Control A1 II mini-jack output.
Control S: In addition to Control A1 II, this receiver has an input and output jack for Control S (mini-jacks) for use with other Sony Control S-compatible components (TV, DSS, DVD, VCR, etc.).
12-Volt Triggers: The receiver outputs 12-volt triggers for turning on/off external equipment when the receiver is turned on or off. There is one mini-jack 12-volt trigger output for the main zone and another for the 2nd zone.
IR Remote In/Out Jacks: There are 3 mini-jacks provided for use with infrared remote repeaters: IR in, IR Out 1 and IR Out 2. In order to use the supplied 2nd Zone remote (RM-US106), an optional IR repeater is required.
RS232C Jack: The RS232C jack can be used in conjunction with the Custom Install modes to receive commands from an external system control unit. The Custom Install menu allows you to turn the Installer Mode on to allow you to receive commands via the RS232C jack when the power is off (standby mode).