Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony's STR-DE485 makes incredible 5.1-channel realism truly affordable. Its 32-bit processor handles Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Pro Logic decoding with impressive precision. You also get three of Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes, exclusive soundfields based on acoustic measurements made at actual Sony movie production stages. You'll hear soundtracks the way the producers and directors intended!
With 2 digital inputs, 2 audio inputs, and 3 A/V inputs, the 'DE485 offers lots of connectivity for a variety of source components. It's even got a 5.1-channel analog input for an SACD or DVD-Audio player. 80 watts x 5 channels of Sony power keeps the sound clean and dynamic. And the A/V remote gives you convenient control of this receiver and other Sony components from your sofa.
- 32-bit processing for surround decoding (Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro Logic) and Digital Cinema Sound modes
- 80 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (40-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD or 80 x 5 in surround mode
- digital inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 2 audio and 3 A/V (including one 5.1-channel) inputs
- no phono input
- preamp-level subwoofer output
- 1 set main speaker outputs
- A/V remote
- 30 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 5-3/4"H x 13-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Sony STR-DE485 Reviews
What's in the box?
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver
- RM-U306 remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Instruction manual
- Correction sheet
- Warranty sheet
- Safeguards sheet
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections (taped to top of receiver).
Features and Specs
- Normal Surround: Normal
Surround includes the following modes:
- Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Digital sources are played with as many channels as recorded; 2-channel stereo sources are decoded with Dolby Pro Logic
- Digital Cinema Sound: This is
a collaboration between Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures where the actual
measurements of the sound acoustics in these studios are taken. This information
is programmed into this receiver so as to simulate the actual theatre in your
home environment. The three DCS fields that you can choose from are:
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's scoring stage
- Hall: reproduces the acoustics of a rectangular concert hall
- Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Concert (Live Concert): reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live concert
- Game: obtains maximum audio impact from video game software
Note: With each soundfield, you have the ability to adjust the bass, treble, surround effect levels, balance, independent speaker levels, LFE Mix, and Dynamic Range Compression. When adjustments are made, they are automatically stored for that soundfield until you make further adjustments. To retrieve factory settings for the soundfield, just turn the receiver off, and then hold down the power buttin until "SF CLR" appears on the display.
Auto Format Decoding: Automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, 2 channel) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
96kHz Sampling Frequency Compatibility: The coaxial and Toslink digital input jack is compatible with digital signals having a sampling frequency of 96kHz.
Note: Both the coax and Toslink inputs are compatible with 96kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz, and 32kHz sampling frequencies
- Front Speakers: you may select "LARGE" or "SMALL"
- Center Speaker: you may select "NO", " LARGE" or " SMALL"
- Surround Speaker: you may select "NO", " LARGE" or " SMALL"
- Subwoofer: you may select "YES" or "NO"
- Left and Right Distance: 3 to 40 feet (1 foot steps)
- Center Distance: whatever the distance set for L and R down to 5 ft less (1 ft steps)
- Surround Left and Right Distance: the distance set for L and R down to 15 ft less (1 ft steps)
- Rear speaker place: when using rear speakers, this setting is used for proper operation of the sound fields that create virtual rear speakers; you may select "SIDE", "MID" or "BEHIND"
- Rear speaker height: you may select the height as either "LOW" or "HIGH"
- C. Mode: your choice of AV1 or AV2
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Effect Level: the "presence" of the surround effect may be adjusted, depending on the soundfield, up to 15 steps
- Front Balance: the balance can be adjusted +/-8 steps
- Center Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -10dB to +6dB
- Surround Left Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -10dB to +10dB
- Surround Right Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -10dB to +10dB
- Sub Woofer Level: the level may be adjusted in 1dB steps from -10dB to +6dB
- LFE Mix: Lowers the level of the LFE channel output. You may select "OFF" (mute), or the level may be set from -20 to 0dB in 1dB steps. Note that this effects only the LFE channel, not the bass sent to the sub through bass redirection circuitry.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: You can select OFF, 0.1-0.9, in 1 dB steps, STD, and MAX. Enables or disables dynamic compression for less variation in volume
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: There are 3 levels of display brightness, plus you may turn the display off (control from the front of the unit only).
Multi Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital and DTS processing, it also has a 5.1 multi channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders, including potential future units such as multi-channel SACD players and DVD Audio players.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Backup Memory: Once a sound field is customized, the changes are stored in memory indefinitely, unless the receiver is disconnected from power for about 2 weeks. If the receiver is disconnected from power for about 1 week, all of the tuner presets will be cleared from the receiver's memory.Remote Control
Overview: The supplied remote will control Sony A/V equipment. The source buttons, transport keys, and master volume keys glow in the dark. The factory setting of the function buttons can be changed, except for the TUNER button. The function buttons can be changed to control the following Sony equipment: CD, DAT, MD, Tape Deck A, Tape Deck B, LD player, VCR (VTR settings of 1, 2 or 3), TV, DBS (DIRECTV), DVD, or VCD player.
- Phones: standard headphone jack
- DVD/LD Coax digital input: coax RCA input that is compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM digital signals; this input is compatible with signals that have a 96kHz sampling frequency. This is not AC-3 RF. If you are using a LaserDisc with AC-3 RF output, a demodulator must be purchased separately and connected between the LD player and this unit!
- DVD/LD A/V RCA input: RCA audio and composite video input
- Video 1 A/V RCA input: RCA audio and composite video input
- Video 2 A/V RCA input: RCA audio and composite video input
- Video 2 Toslink input: Toslink optical digital input that is compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM digital signals; this input is compatible with signals that have a 96kHz sampling frequency.
- Antenna inputs: FM Coax and AM spring clip antenna inputs
- CD: RCA stereo input
- MD/Tape: RCA stereo input and output
- Monitor: RCA composite video output
- Multi Channel Input: this is a 5.1 multi channel input consisting of left front, right front, center, left rear, right rear and subwoofer RCA inputs for use with external multi channel decoders (for video use, it is used with any of the Video inputs on the unit)
- Subwoofer preamp output: mono RCA preamp output for an optional powered subwoofer
- Speakers: spring clip outputs for front, surround, and center speakers
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.