Watch a product demo
Item #: 158XAV72BT
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $499.99
Here's your ticket to ride with a comprehensive and capable multimedia system in your dash. Sony's XAV-72BT DVD receiver combines a bright, high-resolution 7" touchscreen with the safety of hands-free calls with your Bluetooth® phone.
Once you pair your mobile device with the XAV-72BT, your days of fumbling around for your phone are over. When a call comes in, you just touch a button and start talking — the supplied microphone picks up your voice and sends it to your caller, while you hear your caller's voice over your car's speakers. You can also access your phonebook through the touchscreen, and store up to 300 contacts. And if your mobile device supports music streaming, you can enjoy your favorite music files or Internet radio without connecting any wires.
Touchscreen control with a twist
As you'd expect, you control all your receiver functions and entertainment options with the big 7" touchscreen. But Sony adds a couple of cool twists. Gesture Control lets you make quick changes to your music or video. Draw a line to the right on the screen with your finger, and the receiver seeks the next station, skips forward to the next chapter, or moves ahead a file or track, depending on your source. You can access more functions with other finger movements.
Cool A/V capabilities
Sony's SensMe® technology lets you organize an entire library of music according to your mood. Load a USB memory device with a library of songs, then use the included SensMe software in your computer to organize it into channels like Morning, Energetic, Chillout Drive, and Going Home — 20 channels in all. SensMe even distributes your tracks on two-axis mood map. Just touch a spot on the map to pick the music that suites your mood.
Sony's Advanced Sound Engine gives you lots of options for making your music sound its best. You can use the 7-band EQ to adjust the highs, mids, and lows to fit your vehicle, then time align your speakers so all the music reaches the driver's seat at the same time. The Center Speaker Optimizer creates a virtual center channel for a true-to-life 5.1 listening experience from DVD soundtracks.
Seamless iPod® control
You can plug your iPod into the XAV-72BT's USB input for direct control and playback of audio files — add Sony's optional RC-202IPV cable for playback of your iPod video content. You can switch to Passenger Control mode if you or your passengers prefer using the iPod's controls. Search for music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Track, or Podcast, all with a few touches of the screen.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" touchscreen
- built-in Bluetooth with hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Hands-on Research for full capabilities)
- multi-channel decoding
- Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) features Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA), plus Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) for a virtual center channel
- EQ7 7-band equalizer
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod control: optional Sony cable (coming soon) required for full access to audio/video content
- compatible with Sony HD Radio tuner and satellite radio
- inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 5-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, mono subwoofer)
Video receivers: They're not just for movies
Video receivers add a new level of entertainment to your vehicle. You can watch a movie on the screen when you're parked on a Saturday night, or play a DVD or downloaded video through your rear seat video setup on the road. Touchscreen receivers allow you to breeze through menus with the tip of your finger. Most video receivers feature a USB input for iPod audio, and the ability to add an adapter that allows video to display on the screen.
Sony XAV-72BT Reviews
Average Customer Review:
sony hits a homerun with this hu
2010 Ford F-150 STX
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Got this for my husband for christmas, and can't believe the sound quality is such a huge difference from his stock stereo. Everybody complaning about the ipod being so slow, after using this for about a month i can tell you its not too slow compared to other brands like pioneer. may be like one or two seconds for song to load. The blutooth is the best i've seen and heard. Compared to the sync i can hear my husband much more clear and louder then before. This is also better streaming music via blu tooth.
Pros: awsome screen,sound, blutooth and quality
Cons: no remote
Works Great with Android Phone
2002 GMC Envoy
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Installation was super easy thanks to Crutchfield. The bluetooth works great with my Samsung Epic. It streams music and Pandora music without any stress. I even used the new google music app and it synced with no problems. The screen is bright and there is no problems seeing it in the brightest of days. When you play a DVD you can see the Sony screen come thru with all its luster. Come on Sony no remote? The radio tuner is HORRIBLE. Had a Pioneer had no stress getting radio stations in my area not with this unit justa a lot of static. The graphics on the display could use some upgrading and yes on some items there is a 1 second wait for a response from the touch screen. I have only had a week to play with the unit but so far so good except radio but with Pandora working great on my Android phone who cares about radio. I have not had the time to adjust my amps yet to the new head unit but it sounds good so far. Many features to play with in next couple weeks.
Pros: Easy Installation, ease of bluetooth setup, syncs with Android phone,bright screen, great video quality
Cons: No remote, horrible radio tuner, slow response on some items thru touch screen, no info from crutchfield where to connect reverse wire, very basic graphics
Great touch Screen
This is a great touch screen stereo unit at an affordable price! It work flawlessly with an iPhone or iPod and displays album art which is cool. I got the HD radio kit which sounds great, but wish it would display song titles and artists which it does on certain channels, but not the ones I listen to. I had a JVC unit prior which is way inferior to this unit and sent it back three time because it broke all three times. I also got the blue tooth kit which is the best feature if you like to talk on the phone hands free and is crystal clear. The DVD works perfect and had no problems at all with this unit. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone serious about their vehicles sound system.
2010 Nissan Altima
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I read about this unit around the web before making this purchase. Reviews were mixed most bad saying the screen response was slow, sound was bad. I took a chance and I couldn't be happier. It sounds amazing, display is beautiful and touch screen response is just fine. I am happy with my purchase. There is a blue jack in the back, don't make a mistake thinking its where you plug in the bluetooth mic cause i did and it caused my unit to freeze up. A crutchfield rep helped me through that. For the price the remote should have been included but oh well..
What's in the box?
- Double-DIN in-dash multimedia headunit with integrated 7" monitor (10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp output/Aux input harness
- Microphone (with attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Visor clip
- Two-sided tape
- 8 Mounting screws
- Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connections booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- "Caution" note
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output||17 watts|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
2-DIN Chassis: The Sony XAV-72BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double-DIN), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. The unit does not come with a mounting sleeve to Euro-mount the radio.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
7" WVGA Touchscreen Display: The Sony XAV-72BT features a 7" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The unit's touchscreen display electronically slides down to insert and eject your discs.
Adjustable Screen Tilt: You can adjust the display angle (up to 30°) of the touchscreen monitor for better viewing.
Background Adjustments: You can select the screen theme, visualizer, and picture brightness (Day/Night/Auto) for the unit's background screen according to your preference.
Note: The Auto Brightness function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness.
Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, Sepia, or Custom (1/2). The Custom (1/2) Picture EQ modes allow you to make your won picture quality settings by adjusting the picture tones manually. You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Color Tone (warm/normal/cool).
Aspect Ratio: You can change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, Spanish, or Russian.
Track List: The Sony XAV-72BT displays a list of albums, folders, tracks, images, or video files stored on a disc or USB device, so you can quickly search your audio/video content.
Gesture Commands: You can perform frequently-used operations by making command strokes across the XAV-72BT's touchscreen display.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the headunit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-72BT also offers 5 hard-key buttons (Volume up/down, Top/Menu, Source/Off, and Eject) along the bottom edge of the screen.
Note: The unit's button illumination can be turned "On" or "Off".
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Security Code: This unit has a 4-digit security code function to discourage theft. Once the security function is activated, you need to enter the security code to turn on the unit after reinstalling the unit in another car or charging the battery.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony XAV-72BT AV Center features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony XAV-72BT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-72BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the XAV-72BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
4V/5ch Preamp Outputs: The Sony XAV-72BT is equipped with 4-volt Front, Rear, and Sub pre-amp outputs with selectable LPF/HPF (Low Pass Filter/High Pass Filter) functionality, giving you the ability to customize the sound output to your external amplifiers. The front and rear channel preamp outputs can be faded. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: The unit's subwoofer preamp output features a variable low pass crossover with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the headunit's volume control from -6 to +6 in 1dB increments.
High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8) of seven different frequency bands - 62Hz, 157Hz, 396Hz, 1kHz, 2.5khz, 6.3khz, and 16kHz.
ASE (Advanced Sound Engine): The Sony XAV-72BT offers multi-channel playback with its Advanced Sound Engine, featuring Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA) and Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) to create a virtual 5.1 listening experience to rival the most advanced home theater equipment.
- ITA (Intelligent Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker and subwoofer to suit your position, giving you the feeling of being in the center of the soundfield wherever you sit in the car. The options for the Listening Positions are - Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, All, Custom, or Off. The Custom ITA mode allows you to precisely calibrate the output from each speaker so that the sound from all speakers reaches the listener at the same time. Simply measure the distance between your listening position and each speaker from 0 to 13.1' (in 0.8125" increments). You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- CSO (Center Speaker Organizer): A typical surround sound systems has 5 speakers (front left/right, rear left/right, center) and 1 subwoofer. CSO allows you to create a virtual center channel speaker even though a real center speaker is not connected.
RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
Speaker Level: You can adjust the volume level of each connected speaker - Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left, and Subwoofer.
Dolby D Level: You can adjust the audio output level for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital format, to reduce the volume level differences between disc and source.
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Compression): The Audio DRC function makes the sound clear when the volume is low. Audio DRC only works on Dolby Digital DVD discs.
AM/FM Tuner: The Sony XAV-72BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek and preset tuning.
RDS: Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
HD Radio Ready: The Sony XAV-72BT is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the headunit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: A portable XM satellite radio receiver can be connected to the headunit via the AV input or the Sony XA-300 UniLink auxiliary input adapter (item number 158XA300, sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Compatible Discs: The Sony XAV-72BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs.
Note: The unit's touchscreen display electronically slides down to insert and eject your discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony XAV-72BT allows you to playback CD-Rs, CD-RWs, CD-ROMs loaded with MP3 (48-192 kbps), WMA (64-192 kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) songs recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The XAV-72BT can support up 256 folders, and a combined 2,000 folders and files on a disc. The headunit will also display song information for MP3 (15/30/63/126-characters), WMA (63-characters), and AAC (126-characters) music files.
Note: Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
JPEG Playback: This unit can play back JPEG (720 x 480) still image files recorded onto DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W discs.
MPEG-4/Xvid Playback: The SAV-72BT also supports video playback of MPEG-4/Xvid (720 x 480/30fps) NTSC video files recorded onto DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W discs.
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD or connected USB device.
Direct Search: You can directly locate a desired point on a disc by specifying the title number, chapter number, track, image, or file.
Repeat and Shuffle Play: The Sony XAV-72BT provides Repeat and Shuffle playback modes for various media content.
- Repeat: DVD (Title/Chapter), CD/VCD (Track), MP3/WMA/AAC (Track/Album), JPEG (Image/Album), MPEG-4/Xvid (Movie/Album).
- Shuffle: DVD (Title), CD/VCD (Disc), MP3/WMA/AAC/JPEG/MPEG-4 (Album)
Multi-Disc Resume: The Sony XAV-72BT can store the playback resume settings in its memory for up to 5 DVD discs.
Parental Control: You can lock a disc, or set playback restrictions according to a predetermined level such as viewer age. Restriction levels can also be set depending on the area and its movie ratings. Restricted scenes can be blocked or replaced with different scenes when a parental control compatible DVD is played.
Off Load/Eject: A disc can be loaded and ejected with the power off.
Auto Reload: The XAV-72BT will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper DVD/CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45-degrees.
USB Input: The receiver's rear-panel Type-A USB input (attached by a 5' pigtail) can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3 (48-192kbps), WMA (64-192kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) formats. The headunit can recognize up to 256 folders and 2,000 total tracks when connected to a USB device. The XAV-72BT offers the following USB search, playback, and display functions.
iPod/iPhone 2-Wire Connectivity: The rear-panel USB port and rear-panel AV 1 input are compatible with select iPod/iPhone devices when used with the optional Sony RC-202IPV adapter (RC-202IPV, sold separately). One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses two connectors that plug into the back of the XAV-72BT. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's rear-panel USB port and handles the metadata, control, charging, and audio playback of your iPod/iPhone, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the headunit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info, as well as album art on its display. The composite video (RCA) connector of the cable plugs into the unit's rear-panel AV 1 input and transfers the video images from your iPod/iPhone to the Sony headunit. If you require audio playback only, you can simply plug your compatible iPod/iPhone directly into the headunit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod/iPhone's dock connector cable (no additional adapter required).
- USB Connection: The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod/iPhone data communications via the optional RC-202IPV (2-Wire) interface. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Audio/Video Playback: The Sony multimedia headunit supports both audio/video playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Using your iPod or iPhone's USB/Dock cable you can enjoy audio playback of music stored on your iPod or iPhone. Using the optional Sony iPod/iPhone connector cable (RC-202IPV, sold separately), you can also enjoy video playback of movies, TV shows, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- Media Navigation: The controls of the XAV-72BT are seamless when
used with the optional RC-202IPV and include metadata browsing, as well as
the ability to choose from Repeat & Shuffle playback modes to suit your listening application (you can
also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel).
- You can browse your music by Artist, Album, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast. artist/album/genre/playlist/podcast
- You can browse your videos by Movie, Rental, TV Show, Music Video, Playlist, or Podcast.
- Music Information: The multimedia headunit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, Album Title, and Album Art.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-72BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of March 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Technology: Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of about 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Bluetooth Communication: The Sony XAV-72BT has built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.0 + EDR) hardware to integrate with Bluetooth-enabled cellular phones and audio players. The XAV-72BT supports a wide variety of Bluetooth profiles, including HFP (Hands-Free Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), and AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile), so you can get the most from your Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- HFP 1.5 (Hands-Free Profile): Hands-free communication with your Bluetooth enabled cellular phone in the vehicle (incoming/outgoing calls supported).
- OPP (Object Push Profile): Phonebook transfer from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to the headunit.
- PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile): Phonebook access from your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone to the headunit.
- A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile): Music streaming from your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player to the headunit.
- AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile): Basic music playback control of your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player from the headunit.
Pairing: Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be registered with the XAV-72BT (only one device can be used at a time). The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on.
Note: Not all Bluetooth mobile phones will be compatible. Please visit the Sony eSupport website for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Hands-Free Talk (HFP 1.5/OPP/PBAP): Once the XAV-72BT is paired to your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone, you can make and receive hands-free calls from the Sony headunit. The unit's touchscreen controls can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The XAV-72BT can even be setup to automatically answer a call. The unit comes with an external microphone with adjustable gain so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the other party through your car's front speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using the XAV-72BT, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen display.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 300 contacts in the unit's phone book and up to 5 phone numbers can be registered to each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
External Microphone: The included external microphone provides Echo and Noise Cancellation, with an adjustable Mic Gain to provide great audio performance even in noisy environments. The microphone features an attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear chassis of the Sony headunit. The microphone also includes an adjustable mounting bracket which can be placed on your sun-visor or dash inside the vehicle.
Data Lock: To prevent unauthorized access to personal information, you can lock call data by setting a 4-digit code. Once locked, you need to enter the coded to access the items in the call menu.
Music Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform basic playback operations from an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. The XAV-72BT provides Play, Pause, and Skip (Next/Previous) playback functions.
Volume Adjustment: You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB.
Dual Audio/Video Inputs: The XAV-70BT is equipped with two audio/video inputs for connecting an external audio/video source. Each audio/video input consists of a composite video jack and a pair of stereo RCA jacks. You can adjust the audio level of the audio/video inputs from +/-18.
Video Output: There is rear-panel composite video output for connecting for connecting an external display. You can select an aspect ratio suitable for your connected monitor. You can choose from 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XAV-72BT is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (such as the 158XAR800C, sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the purple/white wire, attached to preamp harness), must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The headunit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIPS, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Remote Control: By using the optional Sony IR remote commander (RM-X170, sold separately), you can wirelessly operate the unit's audio and source controls.
Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM: The included SensMe intuitive music application, with 12 tone analysis, keeps your USB stored music in tune with your mood. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. You can select and play a channel that fits your mood from the following categories.
- Time of Day: Tracks are recommended for each time of day. Choose from Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night, or Midnight.
- Music Type: Plays tracks according to the music type. Choose from Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Lounge, Emotional, Dance, and Extreme.
- Driving Type: Plays track that are suitable for type of driving. Choose from Freeway, Chillout Drive, Weekend Trip, Midnight Cruise, Party Ride, Morning Commute, and Going Home.
- Mood Map: Distributes tracks as dots on a two-axis mood map, based on the characteristics of individual tracks (last 200 tracks transferred). Simply touch a point on the map according to your Mood (Sad/Happy), Type (Acoustic/Electronic), Style (Soft/Hard), or Time (Morning/Midnight) and a circle appears around the touched point, and the tracks inside that circle are played.
Note: Use of the supplied software (Content Transfer/SensMe Setup) is required to enable the SensMe function on this headunit. The software must be downloaded to your PC (compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7) and your USB device connected to your computer.
System Requirements: Your computer must meet the following system requirements to download the included software.
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- CPU: Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher
- Ram: 256 MB or more (Windows XP), 512 MB or more (Windows Vista or later)
- Monitor: High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more
- Connection: Internet
- Drive: CD-ROM
- Port: USB
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.