Inputs and Outputs
Processor Type: The Xperia Tablet Z is equipped with a Qualcomm
Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.5 GHz processor.
Operating System: The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system
was factory installed; an update to 4.2.2 available as of 11/11/13.
Firmware/Software Updates: Occasionally, Sony may release
updated firmware/software for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature
operates. These updates are typically available free of charge. This unit is
capable of checking for and downloading new firmware/software when connected to
the Internet via a WiFi connection.
Wi-Fi: The Xperia Tablet Z features built-in Wi-Fi to access
the internet from your home network or public hotspots. The tablet is IEEE 802.11
Note: The Wi-Fi checker app enables
you to check the Wi-Fi connection when a connection problem
DLNA Certified: With cross-connectivity between the Sony
Xperia Tablet Z and DLNA-compatible TVs, PCs, or speaker systems, it's easy to
share your content. The tablet lets you wirelessly share, view, and transfer
personal video, photos, and music to your DLNA compatible TV or speaker system.
You can also enjoy your pictures, music, and personal videos stored on
your computer via the tablet, over a WiFi (wireless) connection.
Note: Certain audio/video formats
and copy protected content are not supported.
App Compatible: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z comes with select
pre-installed apps, and allows you to download additional apps from the Android
Play Store. You can search for and acquire various apps easily right from the
GPS: The GPS (Global Positioning System) function provides
location information by receiving signals from GPS satellites. You can see the
location where you are, where you are going, or directions to a destination on
Google Maps with the tablet by using the GPS function.
Note: The GPS antenna is built in to
the tablet. If you cover the antenna with your hands or
other objects while using the GPS function, the positioning
accuracy may deteriorate.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z features
built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0). You can establish wireless communications
between the tablet and other Bluetooth-enabled devices such as a computer,
mobile phone, headphones, or Bluetooth speaker. You can transfer audio files,
photos, videos, and web pages between these devices without cables at a range
of up to 33' in an open area. The tablet can pair with several devices, but
can only connect to one at a time.
Sample Data: Sample music, videos, and photos are installed
on the tablet. Once you delete the sample data, you cannot restore it.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z includes an
integrated rechargeable Lithium polymer battery. With a full charge, the battery
lasts as much as eight hours while surfing the web and ten hours while watching
AC Power Supply: An AC power supply is included to power the
tablet and to charge the internal battery.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz
- Output: 5V - 1500 mA
Dual Cameras: The tablet has two cameras, a 2 megapixel
front camera for video chatting and an 8 megapixel rear camera for shooting
video and still photos.
Microphone (with built-in Voice Recognition): The Sony Xperia
Tablet Z is fitted with an integrated microphone for voice communication apps. You
can speak voice commands to browse web pages, navigate, and more.
Built-In Speakers: Two built-in speakers allow listening to
your movies, games, and other apps directly from the tablet.
Backup: You should copy the data in the tablet and store it on
another storage device (backup). Various data, such as recorded images, downloaded
music and video content, will be accumulated in your tablet as you use it. If
unexpected problems occur with the tablet, that data may be damaged or lost. As
a preventive measure in case of such accidents, you should make frequent backups
so you will be able to restore your precious data.
NFC (Near Field Communications): Use NFC, also known as one-touch
sharing, to share data with other devices; video, photo, web page address, music file,
contact, etc. You can also use NFC to scan tags that give you more information about
a product or service as well as tags that activate certain functions on your tablet.
NFC is a wireless technology with a maximum range of one centimeter, so the devices
sharing data must be held close to each other.
Water Resistant: The Xperia Tablet Z is water resistant, even
when submerged in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes (fresh water only).
Note: In order for your tablet to be
water resistant, the covers for the micro USB port, the
microSD card, and the headphone jack must be firmly closed.
TV SideView: In addition to having a built-in IR remote to
control your TV, the free TV SideView app from Google Play allows you to flip
through the channel guide, change the channel or search for your favorite content
online on your tablet, all without minimizing the TV picture.
Touchscreen LCD Panel: The Sony Xperia Tablet Z is outfitted
with a 10.1" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) TFT color LCD touchscreen, using Sony's
Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 for a wide color spectrum and an OptiContrast panel to
reduce glare. The screen also provides responsive touch commands such as Tap,
Tap and Hold, Drag, Flick, and Pinch.
Note: The screen rotates when you turn
your tablet to a "portrait" or "landscape"
orientation. You can also adjust the screen's brightness.
Pre-Installed Apps: The following Apps come already installed
on the Xperia Tablet Z:
- Chrome: Chrome web browser for Android devices
- Play Store: additional Apps can be downloaded from the
Play Store; if you don't already have one, you must set up a Google account
to use the Play Store
- Walkman: The use the Walkman App to play back music and
audio books stored on the tablet or your home network; you can also send
music content to another DLNA certified device and play it back on that
device; detailed information about the current album or song can be searched
or displayed, and you can add cover art or lyrics to the content; you can
also adjust EQ settings to your listening preference
- Album: use the Album app to display photos and video
from your tablet's memory, from a web service, or from your home network;
you can also easily post photos to network services to share them.
- Movies: the Movies app allows you to play video content
stored on the tablet, the home network, or from the Video Unlimited service;
you can also send video content to another DLNA certified device and play it
back on that device
- Sony Select: access games, music, videos, and more Apps
from this Sony service, guaranteed to work on your Xperia Tablet Z
- Camera: use the camera App to take photos and record
- Facebook: access Facebook directly using the App
- Socialife: Sony's Socialife App collects news, video,
and social network feeds (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) in one place
- YouTube: access YouTube directly using the App
- Email: use the Email application to send and receive
emails through both private and corporate accounts
- Calendar: use the Calendar application to keep track
of your events and manage your appointments; you can sync calendar events
with your tablet from multiple email accounts and synchronization services
- Notes: keep electronic notes; shopping list, etc.
- Contacts: use the Contacts App to manage phone numbers,
email address and other information related to your contacts; you can sync
your tablet's contacts with multiple other accounts
- Settings: adjust the tablet's settings
- Alarm & Clock: set the clock and multiple alarms
- Maps: view your current location, find other locations,
and calculate routes using Google Maps
- Video Unlimited: rent or buy hit movies and download
them to your tablet; requires a monthly subscription
- Let's Start PSM: add PlayStation Mobile for Android
- FM Radio: listen to FM radio (over the air, not
- TrackID: use TrackID music recognition to identify
music you hear playing in your surroundings; record a short sample of the
song and you'll get artist, title, and album info within seconds
- PlayNow: browse/purchase/download music, games, themes,
- Movie Studio: edit video and photos
- Smart Connect: set what happens when you connect or
disconnect specific accessories, or at specific times
- Remote Control: use the built-in universal infrared
remote (with learning capability and pre-loaded remote codes) to control
other devices; you can also use gestures to control common functions
- Utilities: access calculator, backup & restore,
- Navigation: speak or type destinations for Google
- Support: access Sony's support site; includes
software updates, troubleshooting, and online user guide
- Gmail: read, write, and organize emails on your
- Google+: link to your Google account, or create a new
- Messenger: send and receive text and multimedia messages
- Google: search for information in your tablet and on
- Voice Search: speak input instead of typing
- Hangouts: chat with friends online (individuals or
- News & Weather: view local weather and news,
sports, and entertainment reports
- Play Music: play music stored in the tablet's memory
- Play Movies & TV: rent or buy movies and TV shows,
and play video content stored in the tablet's memory
- Play Books: read books stored in the tablet's memory,
books can also be purchased online and downloaded (three titles are
preloaded: The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island, and Alice's Adventures in
- Play Magazines: purchase single issues, or subscribe to
- Local: find, get information on, and directions to
local restaurants, attractions, and stores
- Crackle: offers free access to select movies and TV
- File Transfer: move file to and from the tablet
- Wi-Fi Checker: test the current Wi-Fi connection
- Netflix: access your Netflix account, subscription
- Music Unlimited: access to music from every major
label; upload your personal library for access anytime; discover new
favorites with automatic recommendations based on your listening habits;
- Registration: register your tablet purchase with
- Xperia Link: connect to the internet via your Xperia
phone (sold separately)
- Skype: use instant message, voice, or video call with
other Skype users
- Google Settings: adjust setting for Google Apps
- Play Memories Online: cloud service for storing photos
and videos (up to 5GB at no charge)
- Office Suite: OfficeSuite Viewer installed, can be
upgraded to OfficeSuite Pro for a discounted fee
- Update Center: manage update settings
Inputs and Outputs
Headphone Output: The Xperia Tablet Z has a 3.5mm headphone
jack. The tablet's built-in speakers will be muted when a set of headphones is
Micro SD Card Slot: A micro SD expansion slot allows additional
micro-USB Port: The tablet is equipped with a micro-USB
connector; this port is used to charge the tablet or to connect the to your
computer. When connected to the computer, data can be copied from the computer
to your tablet, and vise versa.