Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Control for a Niles multi-room audio system
The Solo-6 MD in-wall keypad lets you control your Niles MultiZone audio system in one of your playback rooms. Its six-source capability and iPod®-compatible display make it a perfect match for the Niles ZR-6 audio receiver.
2" LCD screen makes it easy to control of sources and rooms
The Solo-6 MD's built-in 2" LCD screen makes it easy to choose sources and select music. Three "soft" keys change function depending on what appears on the screen. When you connect your iPod to your system, the Solo-6 MD can display its menu along with track, artist and album information.
Make music selections with a remote
This keypad features a built-in IR (infrared) sensor, so you can use a Niles R-8L remote to operate your system from across the room. One remote is provided with your ZR-6 receiver, and extras are available through Niles for additional zones.
Standard "single-gang" junction box recommended for installation (available at most home improvement stores).
- in-wall keypad for a single playback zone
- 4 preset keys for iPod, radio, off and mute
- cursor keys provide basic control of connected components
- 2" LCD screen displays iPod track information like album name, artist, and song title
- 3 soft keys change to reflect choices on the LCD screen
- IR sensor for use with Niles R-8L remote
- connects to MultiZone receiver via CAT-5 cable
- includes white, almond, and bone color change kits
- installs in wall with a standard single-gang electrical box (not included)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Niles Solo®-6 MD Keypad Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Overall good item but would suggest lights installed in the keypads for evening use older model had this !
Pros: Easy install, good over view of options on display
Cons: Outside At night is pretty useless unless you install this close to a light source on the wall or use a flash light. display is nice and bright but keypads have no light in it ??!
Goes great with my ZR-6! I got two of these and 4 of the Solo 6IR, and now I am wishing that I had just purchased 6 of these! being able to see where the volume level is set at or selecting an artist from my iPod is amazing.
What's in the box?
- Single-gang Solo-6MD keypad/LCD screen
- Metal mounting frame
- White frame and keypad cover
- Light almond and keypad cover
- Bone frame and keypad cover
- 4 Silver screws (length=3/8")
- 2 Screws (length=1-1/2")
- User Guide
Overview: The Niles Solo-6MD is a weather-resistant, single-gang accessory keypad designed to be used with the ZR-6 MultiZone receiver (connected via Cat-5 cable). The Solo-6MD's 2" LCD display provides iPod and tuner metadata, plus source selection and zone setup information. The keypad has 3 soft keys, which change as necessary to control the selected source and to navigate menus. It also has a plasma and LCD-proof infrared (IR) sensor for wireless remote control operation (located between the "soft" keys). A 12 volt output trigger on the back of the keypad (positive and negative terminals) activates when the keypad is on.
Functions: The Solo-6MD keypad gives you "One Touch To Entertainment" when you press the "Radio" or "iPod" keys, or the "Niles" button (to select the last played source). You can also control basic playback functions and volume. Paired with the Numeric-6P keypad (item # 190NUM6P) via Cat-5, you get numeric key access to playlists, discs, tracks, stations, or satellite/cable channels. The Numeric-6P also provides random, repeat, disc, and favorite keys.
Display: The unit's easy-to-read 2" LCD display makes it easy to select your sources, tune the radio receiver, or navigate your iPod from any room in your house. All of the artist, album, and song information from your iPod appears on the display for easy access. You can also adjust the independent bass and treble controls, and the variable loudness setting.
Keys: The Solo-6MD features the following keys:
- Hard Keys: The four "hard"
keys each perform a single function regardless of the source
- Radio Key: selects and plays the AM/FM tuner on the ZR-6
- iPod Key: selects and plays the connected iPod
- Off Key: press to turn off the zone; press and hold for 3 seconds to turn off the entire system
- Mute Key: mutes the sound in the zone; press again to restore volume
- Soft Keys: The function of the keys appears in the LCD above, and changes based on the selected source or menu.
- Control Keys: controls the zone volume up and down, plus appropriate playback functions (play, pause, previous, next)
Weather-Resistant: When properly installed, the Solo-6MD can be used in moist indoor and sheltered outdoor environments such as patios, spas, bathrooms, and showers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.