Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The SmartDock2 allows you to connect your iPod to the Niles ZR-6 multi-room receiver and an adjacent computer. You can easily switch between listening to your iPod on your Niles system and syncing it with your PC, without having to remove it from the dock.
If your computer is located in a different room from your Niles receiver, add the iWARE ES2 Extender System. It lets you connect the SmartDock2 to your ZR-6 located in a different room. (Requires dual runs of in-wall CAT-5 cable.)
- for docking iPods, including 160 GB iPod classic®, fifth generation iPod nano® and third generation iPod touch®
- connects your iPod to the Niles ZR-6 receiver for playback on your multi-room system
- syncs your iPod with your computer right from the dock (requires USB connection between dock and computer)
- compatible with Niles ES-2 in case your computer and receiver are located in different rooms
- charges iPod from your computer's USB connection or from your Niles receiver
- stereo mini audio output for connecting directly to computer speakers
- includes cables to connect dock to your receiver and your PC
- 4"W x 1-11/16"H x 3-11/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Niles Audio iWARE® SmartDock2 Reviews
What's in the box?
- iPod dock
- 6.5' iWARE cable (with a proprietary connector on each end)
- 6.5' USB cable (with a mini-USB type-B connector on one end and a USB type-A connector on other end)
- User Manual
- iPod Compatibility Chart
Overview: The Niles iWARE SmartDock2 is a 30-pin docking station for select iPods which includes an adjustable slide to accommodate various iPod models. The primary function of the iWARE SmartDock2 is to provide a bridge between a receiver such as the IntelliControl ICS GXR2 or the Niles ZR-6 Multizone Receiver and an adjacent computer. This configuration allows you to sync with iTunes and instantly switch back to the Niles System without ever having to remove the iPod from the SmartDock2 or disconnect any cables.
iPod Compatibility: Adjustable iPod support allows the Niles SmartDock2 to accommodates various iPod models. The SmartDock2 supports audio playback and charging for the following iPods (as of Nov. 2009).
- iPod click-wheel (4th generation)
- iPod color-display (4th generation)
- iPod video (5th generation)
- iPod classic (80/120/160GB)
- iPod mini (1st/2nd generation)
- iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th generation)
- iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation)
- iPhone (2G, 3G, 3GS, 4)
Note: When the Solo-6MD or TS-PRO touchscreen are used in conjunction with your Niles ZR-6, display metadata is provided for easy and intuitive operation of the iPod and other menu-driven digital sources
iPod Charging: Your docked iPod can be charged from your computer's USB connection or from your connected Niles MultiZone System.
iTunes Sync: The Niles iWARE SmartDock2 allows you to sync your iPod to a computer without disconnecting it from your Niles MultiZone System. The SmartDock2 features a mini-USB Type-B port and comes supplied with a USB cable to connect to your computer.
LED Indicator: An LED light on the SmartDock2 indicates whether the dock is in Niles System mode or USB/iTunes mode. The light illuminates blue when in Niles MultiZone System mode, and illuminates green when in computer mode.
iWARE Connect: Connect the iWARE SmartDock2 to a Niles System (an IM-iCard2-equipped IntelliControl ICS system or a Niles ZR-6 MultiZone Receiver) using the supplied 30-pin Niles connector cable. Then insert your compatible iPod into the dock connector of the SmartDock2. The connected Niles System will supply power to the SmartDock2 and your docked iPod.
Note: The 30-pin Niles connector cable is not designed to plug directly into an iPod. Always plug your iPod into the SmarDock2's dock connector.
Audio Output: If you do not own an IntelliControl ICS System or a ZR6 MultiZone Receiver, you may still use the SmartDock2 to playback your iPod's music through your home audio system. The Niles SmartDock2 features a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack output to connect the dock to an unused line-level input on your stereo system or powered speakers. You will need to also connect the SmartDock2 to your computer, via the supplied USB cable, for power.
Note: The 3.5mm audio output does not support playback control and metadata display.