Audiovox MediaBridge BMW Bluetooth® Interface
Add iPod control and Bluetooth to the stock radio in select 1996-2009 BMW or MINI vehicles (Model #AMBR-1500-BMW)
Item #: 2201500BMW
This item is no longer available.
Original Price: $129.99
One kit for all your multimedia needs
Audiovox's MediaBridge interface doesn't just give you Bluetooth connectivity for the factory radio in your BMW or MINI — it offers a simple way to enjoy music from your iPod®, iPhone®, Android™ smartphone, USB flash drive, satellite radio tuner, or portable audio player. iPhone 4S and iPhone 5/5S/5C users also get full Siri® integration, so you can use your phone without taking your hands off the wheel. And you'll get road-ready charging of your iPod or iPhone to boot.
Here's how you can get hooked up through the MediaBridge:
- USB input for iPod/iPhone, USB flash drive, or select Android smartphones
- 3.5mm auxiliary input for portable music sources, such as a non-iPod device or portable CD player
- connection for the optional SiriusXM SXV200 satelllite radio tuner using the Audiovox AACCSATCBL cable (both sold separately) — you'll need a subscription to receive satellite radio broadcast
The MediaBridge's built-in Bluetooth technology is compatible with most hands-free communication and streaming audio applications, and Audiovox includes an external microphone so your callers can hear you clearly. An additional USB port allows for firmware updates, but does not enable an additional musical source.
Song info display and Music Announcer Technology
If you're listening via iPod/iPhone, USB connection, satellite radio tuner, or Bluetooth streaming, you'll see song, artist, album, and playlist information right on your radio's screen. You'll find it's easier than ever to locate the perfect tracks for your next road trip without having to look at your device. And for select Bluetooth streaming applications, you can have the MediaBridge announce the name of the current song and incoming caller ID information over your speakers, so you don't have to look at your phone to know what's happening.
Control through your factory radio or steering wheel buttons
Once you've got everything hooked up and your sources connected, you can take command of your tunes right through your radio or your car's steering wheel controls. With devices connected through USB or Bluetooth, you won't have to touch your device to change tracks or pull up playlists — it all works just like any other normal radio functions.
Enjoy your iPhone's music apps
If you're big into Pandora Internet radio or other music apps, you can enjoy them through the MediaBridge. Simply fire up Pandora on your device, connect it to the module, and enjoy the audio and text info (if supported by your radio). Other Internet radio apps, such as Livio, also work great through the MediaBridge, allowing you to see relevant details on your radio's display, and with a limited amount of control over the app through the remote, depending on the app.
Installation Notes: To use this adapter, you'll have to disconnect the BMW outboard CD changer, if present. If your BMW came equipped with factory satellite radio, you'll have to purchase the BMW-SAT cable from your dealer in order to connect this adapter.Please enter your vehicle information or call an Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to find out if this interface is compatible with your vehicle.
- add iPod control and Bluetooth functionality to the stock radio in select BMW/MINI vehicles
- USB extension cable and microphone included
- USB input and 3.5mm auxiliary input
- additional USB port for firmware upgrades
- connects to BMW radio via factory harness connection
- compatible with most iPod and iPhone models (see "Details" for more info) and select Android smartphones
- compatible with SiriusXM SXV200 satellite radio tuner using the Audiovox AACCSATCBL cable (subscription required)
- plays MP3/WMA/AAC files from USB thumb drives
- displays song title/artist/album/playlist info on factory radios
- Siri integration for iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models
- level-matched audio output ensures optimum sound quality for each source
- works with many music apps including Pandora and Livio
- allows use of steering wheel controls for music functions
- Music Announcer Technology allows song name and caller ID info to be announced for Bluetooth connected devices
- dimensions: 5-3/8"W x 1-5/16"H x 3-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Audiovox MediaBridge BMW Bluetooth® Interface Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Trying to Keep Up
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Well, it isn't perfect but it is a pretty good way to get ipod functionality in a BMW Z4. The unit is fairly easy to install once you find the correct wires in the trunk of the Z4. This wasn't as easy as I was led to believe, but be patient, take a break. Don't try to do it all at once. You will be rewarded.
Pros: Decent integration for an older car. Everything works as stated. Sound isn't bad. Not audiophile quality, but honestly good enough for a convertible for sure.
Cons: Interface is somewhat confusing and not as intuitive as it could be. Crutchfield sells this product but for some reason they don't act like they fully support it. I paid a premium for their support and feel it is uncharacteristingly lacking with this unit and for my car.
What's in the box?
- MediaBridge multimedia interface module (for BMW/Mini)
- 15' Vehicle harness
- 6.5' USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 10.5' cable)
- Installation Guide/User Manual
- Quick Reference Guide
MediaBridge Multimedia Integration Kit: The Audiovox MediaBridge Multimedia Integration Kit (AMBR-1500-BMW) provides connectivity for Bluetooth mobile devices, select iPod/iPhone models, a SiriusXM tuner, USB mass storage class devices (including Android), and any portable audio player with a headphone jack to your BMW/Mini's factory radio.
Vehicle Compatibility: The MediaBridge Multimedia Integration Kit (AMBR-1500-BMW) is compatible with select BMW (with or without navigation) and Mini (without navigation) vehicles. The AMBR-1500-BMW features two dip switches to configure the module for your compatible BMW or Mini vehicle.
Note: The factory external CD-changer must be disconnected. If equipped with factory Satellite Radio, then the optional BMW-SAT cable is required (sold separately). If equipped with digital DSP amplifier, the optional BMW-DSP adapter (sold separately) is required. Please use the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify compatibility with your vehicle.
USB Port: The Audiovox MediaBridge features a USB (type-A) port and comes with a 6.5' USB extension cable to connect your portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The AMBR-1500-BMW supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit will recognize up to 8 levels per folder, 200 folders, and 1000 files per folder. You can browse folders and songs using the factory radio or steering wheel controls. Artist and song title information will be shown on your factory radio's display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the module's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The MediaBridge's USB port also supports connection of select Apple iPod and iPhone devices. Your iPod or iPhone simply plugs into the module's USB port using the Apple 30-pin connector or Lightning-connector cable that came with your iPod or iPhone. The AMBR-1500-BMW lets you listen to stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone through your factory radio. The MediaBridge lets you browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music by playlist, song, artist, or album from the factory radio and steering wheel controls. You can also skip to the next/previous song or station from select music apps. You can even choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its own clickwheel or touchscreen. The artist name and song title will be shown on your factory radio's display. The module's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Siri Voice Control: The Audiovox MediaBridge supports Siri voice control for iPhone with Siri, so you can focus more on your driving. With the MediaBridge and your iPhone with Siri you can compose and send text messages, place phone calls, select music tracks, ask for directions, create a calendar event, and more all by just speaking with Siri. Siri works through the MediaBridge via Bluetooth technology (not USB). To activate Siri, simply press the steering wheel "voice" button on many BMW/MINI vehicles (not applicable for all vehicles); if you vehicle does not have a "voice" button, then you need to activate Siri from the iPhone as you would do normally.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The AMBR-1500-BMW supports the following iPod/iPhone functions (as of 12/3/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Set the iPod/iPhone "Hold/Lock" switch to the On position to fully control the iPod/iPhone from your factory radio (your iPod/iPhone will be locked). Set the iPod/iPhone "Hold/Lock" switch to the Off position to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen (factory radio controls will be limited). Changing the "Hold/Lock" switch on your iPod/iPhone to the On/Off position must be done prior to connecting the dock cable to the MediaBridge
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Audiovox MediaBridge supports Bluetooth hands-free communication and audio streaming for your Bluetooth enabled smartphones, tablets, and audio players. After manually pairing once, your Bluetooth-enabled device will automatically pair with the MediaBridge whenever you get in your car; this way you can even leave your phone in your pocket or purse.
- Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The MediaBridge lets you use your vehicle's speakers and the included external microphone (with visor-clip) for an integrated hands-free mobile phone experience. The included microphone is specially designed for in-car use. It mounts on the A-pillar inside your vehicle to pick up your voice loud and clear and will cancel most of the background noises associated with driving. You can answer, terminate, or reject an incoming call from your factory radio. To make a call you can simply press the "phone" button on your steering wheel (when applicable) or press the appropriate button on your phone to activate it's voice command features. To manually enter a phone number, you must still use your mobile phone like you would normally; the phone will then transfer the call to the MediaBridge and your factory system.
- Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): The MediaBridge lets you stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, tablet, or audio player to your vehicle's factory audio system. You can also control basic music playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & FF/RW) of your Bluetooth enabled device from the factory stereo. In addition, you can view song/artist information on your factory radio's display screen. Advanced music navigation will still need to done from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Audiovox MediaBridge.
Satellite Radio: The SXV200V1 SiriusXM tuner (item number 220SXV200, sold separately) can be added to the MediaBridge using the SC-C1 port. When adding the satellite tuner, the A-ACC-SAT-CBL adapter cable is also necessary (item number 220AACCSAT, sold separately).
Note: Before connecting a SiriusXM tuner, the MediaBridge firmware must be updated to a version specific to the tuner being used.
Music Apps: In addition to stored music from your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (2G-4S) or Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), you are able to listen to select music apps streamed to your mobile device through your factory stereo system. You are able to control basic playback functions (such as Previous/Next song or station) and view song/artist information from the factory radio on select music apps. In particular, the Livio Car Internet Radio app let's you access preset internet radio stations by pressing the disc 1-6 buttons on the factory radio.
Song & Artist Information + MAT: The MediaBridge will display the song, artist, album, and playlist titles of your music on your vehicle's factory radio display so you know who and what song you are listening to from your iPod/iPhone or USB mass storage class device (including Android). This also makes navigating through your songs a simple task, using only the controls on your radio. The MediaBridge also offers Music Announcer Technology (MAT) which announces song title and artist information over your vehicle's factory speakers, allowing for a safer driving experience.
Playback Control: To access the MediaBridge as a source, press the "Mode" button on your factory radio. With the MediaBridge, all of your USB and Bluetooth connected devices can be controlled from your factory radio or vehicle's steering wheel controls. The Audiovox MediaBridge lets you use your vehicle's factory radio or steering wheel controls to navigate through your stored music and music apps on your connected devices.
OEI Control App: Download the Audiovox OEI Control app onto your compatible iPhone to view information, change settings, and control the Audiovox MediaBridge interface module. From the app on your iPhone you'll be able to:
- use a "virtual remote control" to change music tracks and view song/artist info for Satellite Radio
- adjust the volume level and a 3-band EQ (Treble/Mid/Bass) for each source connected to the interface module
- enable or disable sources, as well as select text field length
- view firmware version, serial number, and other information about the module
- view the position/meaning of DIP switch settings
Note: A firmware update may be required in order for the OEI Control App to work with the Audiovox MediaBridge interface module.
Auxiliary Input: The MediaBridge Multimedia Integration Kit features a minijack (3.5mm) port to connect any portable music player which features an audio output or headphone output. The MediaBridge features gain adjustment for the Aux input so you can adjust the level of the input to match the volume of your other audio sources.
Vehicle Harness: The Audiovox MediaBridge comes supplied with a 15' vehicle harness which plugs into the BMW/Mini factory CD-changer harness, located in the trunk, (changer must be disconnected) and is then routed through the interior of the vehicle to connect to the MediaBridge module at the front of the vehicle. Your factory CD-changer will need to be disconnected and will no longer function. Some vehicles will have the CD-changer wiring in a protective sheath which may make it more difficult to locate. Cars sold outside the USA may not be pre-wired for trunk install.
Note: Audiovox recommends that the MediaBridge module be installed in an easily accessible place (not placed behind the factory radio). This allows for easier connection and disconnection of your external audio devices, as well as future firmware upgrades.
Firmware Updates: There is a mini-USB type-B port on one side of the MediaBridge module to connect to your computer for firmware updates. Click here to view latest updates.
Our Product Research Team
1 question already asked
1 answer I just bought a used BMW X5 with stock non-dsp business CD radio and CD changer hook-up in the back. I was investigating the possibility of adding a factory CD changer when I noticed the cables were already plugged into -other cables. I discovered between driver seat and center console an old 'Dice' module. 'Great!' I thought until I plugged my iTouch/iPod into it. It began playing a song, seemingly at random. Plugged in, the iPod would not let me control it via its screen, nor did my attempt to control it via the stock radio work either. It also said charging was not available. I'm guessing, I need to update this module, but want plug-n-play with existing wiring. Will this Audiovox Mediabridge work? [ Bill T Mar 01, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Mar 03, 2015 ] Staff