Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Shallow sub, intense bass
MTX built the FPR10-02 subwoofer to give you big bass in a vehicle that that doesn't have room for traditional large subwoofers. This sub comes in at only 3-3/8" deep, so it mounts in low-profile enclosures that'll fit almost anywhere. This sub handles up to 300 watts RMS, and delivers the kind of powerful performance that you'd usually only experience with a traditional sub. Its 2-ohm impedance makes it a great match for your mono amp.
You can push the FPR10-02 hard, and it's built to survive in the tough car environment. A lightweight aluminum dustcap protects the polypropylene cone, while the rugged rubber surround offers long-lasting durability. MTX's unique Spider Plateau Venting keeps your subwoofer running cool during intense jam sessions. This sub requires a sealed box.
To drive this single subwoofer, we recommend a mono amplifier rated between 225 and 450 watts RMS at 2 ohms. For more information, please refer to our article on How to Match Subwoofers and Amplifiers.
- 10" shallow-mount subwoofer with single 2-ohm voice coil
- polypropylene woofer cone with rubber surround
- power range: 150-300 watts RMS (600 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 25-150 Hz
- sensitivity: 81.4 dB
- top-mount depth: 3-3/8"
- sealed box volume: 0.70 cubic feet
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's a component sub and why would I want one?
A component sub is simply a speaker that's designed to reproduce bass once it's installed in a compatible enclosure. Think about the impact of a movie soundtrack in a big theater or even in your own home HDTV setup. A component sub can add the same kind of power to the music in your car. And a car sub is not all about the boom that you hear on a street corner (although that's cool too) - you can pair a component sub with your choice of enclosure to get bass just the way you like it, from tight and punchy to fat and loose. And once you experience music in your car with a well-tuned subwoofer, you'll never go back.
MTX FPR10-02 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Ease of Use
These hit hard and clean for shallows. I wouldn't be able to tell these are shallow mount subs without first knowing. I wish I could have fit the 12s, but these 10s are legit and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm overpowering two of them at 370 RMS each and I've pushed them decently hard and they are holding up and they still sound great. I've got them sealed in 0.6 cubic feet each, down-firing under the back seat of my F150 super crew. I removed one star for sound quality due to not being able to hit with quite as much power at the very low-end when compared to my Infinity Perfect 12.1s, but I'm almost certain this has to do with the 10 vs 12 issue than the fact they are shallows or the brand difference. Seriously, you must hear these for yourself before making judgment. You won't be disappointed.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Great sound, good instructions, great value!!!
Pros: All good!!!
not shallow in womp-womp MTX FRP 10-02 shallow sub
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
MTX FRP 10-02 shallow mount subwoofer allowed me to build a custom box for my mazda protoge 5 using very little space. The sound is both crisp and effortless in low frequency reproduction .I got a great deal in purchasing an open box.I am very happy with this products value as good sound and a fair price is a win win.
Pros: Flat piston technology delivers crisp bass in a shallow package The speaker is well made an does'nt break the bank.
Cons: I'd guess if i had to find a con for this product as with all sub woofers they are relatively heavy and will probably effect my gas mileage o well THUMP ON
What's in the box?
- One 10" Subwoofer
- Specification sheet
Features and Specs
|Ideal Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet)||N/A|
|Ideal Ported Box Volume (cubic feet)||N/A|
|Port diameter (inches)||N/A|
|Port length (inches)||N/A|
|Dual Voice Coil||No|
87.7 dB at 2.83 volts
81.4 dB at 1 watt
|Frequency Response||25 - 150 Hz|
|RMS Power Range (Watts)||150-300|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||600|
|Top Mount Depth (inches)||3 3/8|
|Bottom Mount Depth (inches)||N/A|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||9 1/8|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
Shallow Mount Design: The MTX Thunder Flat Piston Round (FPR) subwoofers are designed for applications where space is a premium. They are optimized to perform best in a sealed enclosure, no matter what type of music you listen to. The recommended enclosure design (0.7 cubic feet) was tested by the MTX engineering team. The subwoofer uses a polypropylene cone with an aluminum dustcap.
- Fs (resonant frequency): 35 Hz
- Qms (mechanical Q at Fs): 5.89
- Cms (suspension compliance): 0.0861 mm/N
- Mms (diaphragm/coil mass, including acoustic load): 240 g
- Rms (suspension's mechanical resistance): 8.963 kg/s
- Vas (equivalent compliance volume): 17.36 liters
- Xmax (maximum linear peak): 13 mm
- D (cone diameter): 8.622"
- Sd (cone area): 376.7 cm² (0.03767 m²)
- Vd (peak displacement volume): 0.489 liters
- Qes (Electrical Q at Fs): 0.854
- Re (voice coil DC resistance): 1.880 Ω
- Bl (force factor): 10.78 Tm
- Qts (total Q at Fs): 0.746
- η0 (reference efficiency): 0.084%
5 Year Warranty Terms: This product carries a 5-Year Prorated Warranty with the following terms:
- Years 1-2: Products found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the first two years will be, at Mitek's option, repaired or replaced by Mitek at no charge. The warranty period does not renew, but continues on from the original date of purchase.
- Years 3-5: The purchase price of an item which becomes defective after the first two years and prior to the end of the warranty period will be prorated and credited toward the purchase of a new MTX product. The amount of proration is determined by dividing the original purchase price by the number of months in the warranty period (60), then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Single 1.75" voice coil and This woofer was perfect for my custom application plenty of womp womp. [ THOMAS Dec 21, 2014 ]