Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
An MTX Road Thunder amp puts your music up front and in your face in a great way. You won't stop smiling when you finally hear all the musical details and and feel the awesome bass that your old system just couldn't reproduce.
The RT604 4-channel amp will get your whole car rockin' with 60 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers. Or, if you choose, you can switch the amp over to 2-channel mode to drive a pair of subs with 180 watts RMS each. You'll find the built-in high- and low-pass filters useful in matching the amp to your particular speakers or subs.
When the beat gets hot during heavy play, this amp's inner works stay cool by shedding heat efficiently through a tough, extruded aluminum top cover and heatsink assembly. This Road Thunder amp features speaker-level inputs, which come in handy if you're hooking it up to a factory radio.
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 180 watts RMS x 2 bridged (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- frequency response: 20-30K Hz
- Class AB amp technology
- variable high- and low-pass filters (40-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 14-3/8"W x 2-1/8"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 5 years (free repair or replacement for 2 years; prorated replacement for years 3 through 5)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
My system has plenty of power. Who needs an amp?
You might think you don't need an amp because you have a 400-watt system in your car, or because your new stereo puts out 50 watts a channel. But those are peak wattage ratings, which may boil down to 15 or 20 watts per channel, using the more realistic RMS rating. An amp sends your speakers the power they need to deliver your music with clarity and impact, whether you're using factory speakers or high-performance components. And low-frequency reproduction requires lots of power, so an amp is an absolute must if you're adding a sub to your system.
MTX Road Thunder RT604 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
MTX Road Thunder RT604
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great amp, gets warm though
Pros: setup was easy great sound and power priced right
Cons: gets hot need a set of Allan keys to setup amp.
What's in the box?
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Four 30A ATO fuses (two installed)
- Two 11" Speaker level input harnesses
- Four 3/4" Self-tapping screws
- 4 Flat washers
- 3mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish/ German/ Italian/ Portuguese/ Dutch/ Russian/ Finnish/ Polish)
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||90 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||180 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-30k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-400 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-400 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years (3-5 Prorated)|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and at a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4-ohms. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. The MTX Road Thunder RT604 under CEA-2006 regulations is rated at 60 watts RMS x 4 channels with an 80 dBA signal to noise ratio.
2-Ohm Stable: The RT604 is capable of handling load impedances down to 2-ohms in stereo; the amplifier is rated at 90 watts RMS x 4 channels into 2-ohms with no more than 1% THD+N.
Bridgeable: The front and rear sections of the amp are independently bridgeable; the bridged output is 180 watts x 2 channels at 4-ohms (or 180 watts x 1 and 60 watts x 2 if only one half of the amp is bridged).
Protection Circuits: The RT604 provides Thermal and Short-circuit protection.
Gain: The front and rear sections of the amp have independent gain controls. Each rotary knob is continuously variable from 100 mV to 6 V.
Crossovers: The crossovers are also independent for the front and rear amplifiers:
- Mode: front and rear 3 position switches; High Pass, Low Pass, Full Range
- High Pass: front and rear rotary controls; 40 Hz to 400 Hz
- Low Pass: front and rear rotary controls; 40 Hz to 400 Hz
Power/Ground/Turn-On Connections: The RT604 features set-screw terminals for the Power, Ground and Remote turn-on leads. The Power and Ground terminals will accommodate up to 4 gauge wire, the Remote turn-on terminal will accept up to 8 gauge wire.
Speaker Connections: The amplifier is equipped with four set-screw speaker terminals. The terminals will accommodate up to 8 gauge speaker wire.
Line Level Inputs: MTX recommends using the front and rear RCA type line-level inputs if possible.
Speaker Level Input: Use the included front and rear speaker level input harnesses if the connected radio has no preamp outputs.
Fuse: The amplifier is equipped with two ATO type 30 amp fuses; they're located under a cap on the bottom panel.
5 Year Warranty Terms: This product carries a 5-Year Prorated Warranty with the following terms:
- Years 1-2: Products found to be defective in materials or workmanship during the first two years will be, at Mitek's option, repaired or replaced by Mitek at no charge. The warranty period does not renew, but continues on from the original date of purchase.
- Years 3-5: The purchase price of an item which becomes defective after the first two years and prior to the end of the warranty period will be prorated and credited toward the purchase of a new MTX product. The amount of proration is determined by dividing the original purchase price by the number of months in the warranty period (60), then multiplying the result by the number of months remaining in the warranty period.