Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Even if your space is limited, you can enjoy a full range of audio and video entertainment with this compact shelf system from JVC. Hook the FS-GD7 up to a TV and you'll not only be able to watch DVD movies, but you'll also enjoy better sound than most TV speakers offer.
The 5-disc changer also offers plenty of music-listening options it plays regular CDs, MP3 discs and high-resolution DVD-Audio discs. A digital tuner lets you enjoy AM and FM radio stations, and a generous selection of presets gives you easy access to all your favorites.
The 'GD7 has a USB input that lets you connect your PC or Mac. This digital connection lets you enjoy the music files stored on your computer, or listen to streaming audio from the Internet all in crisp, full sound. The FS-GD7 is ideal for an office, den, dorm room, or any place where space is at a premium.
- 5-disc changer
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW discs, Video CDs, and JPEG CDs
- plays DVD-Audio discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 discs
- digital tuner with 15 AM/30 FM presets
- 99-track programming, repeat, and random play
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- video output for TV (composite, S-video, component)
- optical digital output
- two-channel Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoders
- front-panel auxiliary input
- USB input
- headphone output
- 180 watts total power (90 watts x 2)
- 2-way, bass reflex speakers with 4-3/4" woofer and 1-5/8" tweeter
- remote control
- component: 7-1/2"W x 8-7/8"H x 16"D
- speakers: 6-9/16"W x 11-5/16"H x 9-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
JVC FS-GD7 Reviews
What's in the box?
- CA-FSGD7 5-disc CD changer
- 2 SP-FSGD7 speakers (each with attached 9" length of 24-gauge speaker wire)
- 2 Silver cloth grilles
- Wireless remote control (RM-SFSGD7J)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- 5' Composite video cord (with RCA plugs on each end)
- Important Safety Instructions booklet
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
Sources: The FS-GD7 has a 5-disc DVD/CD changer, an AM/FM tuner, and two front panel auxiliary inputs: a stereo minijack and a USB (Type B) port.
Disc Compatibility: This unit will play prerecorded DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, Video CDs (VCD), Super Video CDs (SVCD), Audio CDs, CD-R, CD-RW discs and MP3/WMA/JPEG files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs.
Progressive Scan: The FS-GD7 can output a progressive scan video signal through the component video output. When connected to an HDTV-ready TV, you can use the remote control to switch the video output from Interlaced to Progressive for a better quality picture.
MP3 Playback: This unit will playback MP3 files recorded in ISO9660 Level 1 or 2 with a minimum bit rate of 64 kbps (128 kbps is recommended). It will recognize discs with up to 99 groups (each group can contain up to 150 tracks) and up to 1000 total tracks. The main unit's display will show the group and track name once, then indicate the track number and elapsed track time.
JPEG Playback: The unit can playback JPEG files recorded onto CD-R or CD-RW discs. It is recommended that files be recorded at 640 x 480 resolution. Files recorded at higher resolution will take a long time to play. Only baseline JPEG can be played. Progressive and Lossless JPEG files cannot be played. Files can be played manually one-at-a-time, or in a slide show at an interval of approximately 3 seconds.
Disc Exchange: The discs are loaded into individual trays behind a motorized fold-down door. This allows you to exchange discs in any of the inactive trays without interrupting the currently playing disc.
Special Effect Playback: During DVD, VCD, or SVCD playback, you can activate the following special playback modes:
- Disc Search: You can fast forward or fast reverse through a scene at 5 different speeds: x2, x5, x10, x20 or x60.
- Slow Motion: You can watch the video in slow motion in either direction at the following speeds: x1/32, x1/16, x1/8, x1/4, or x1/2.
- Zoom: You can magnify the video image to one of 6 positions: Zoom 1 to Zoom 6. (No magnification value available.)
- One Touch Replay: When One Touch Replay is activated, the playback position moves back about 10 seconds before the current position. (This function only works during DVD playback.)
- Time Search: You can move to a particular point by specifying the elapsed playing time. For DVD Video and DVD Audio, you can specify the elapsed time of the current title. For CD/VCD/SVCD, you can specify the elapsed time of the current track during playback or elapsed time of the disc if playback is stopped.
Audio Adjustments: The FS-GD7 has the following sound adjustments from the remote control:
- Bass/Treble: You can independently adjust the bass and treble from 0 to +5.
- Active Hyper-Bass PRO: The AH-B PRO reinforces the bass sound to maintain rich, full bass at low volumes. (Toggles on/off)
- Sound Turbo II: Sound Turbo II emphasizes the sound excitement. (Toggles on/off).
- 3D Phonic:
- Action: Suitable for action movies and sports programs.
- Drama: Creates natural and warm sound. Enjoy movies in a relaxed mood.
- Theater: Enjoy sound effects like in a major theater.
- DVD Clear Voice: During DVD play, you can activate the clear voice function to help you understand the dialog of a DVD, even at low volumes.
- DVD Level: In case a DVD
is recorded at a low audio level, you can increase the overall level of the
audio on the disc by choosing one of the following:
- Normal: Original recording level
- Middle: Output level increased slightly
- High: Output level increased further
Video Adjustments: While viewing a DVD, you can select a preset picture tone, or adjust the picture parameters and store them in memory. The picture adjustments include:
- Normal: No picture adjustment
- Cinema: Suitable for a movie source
- User 1/User 2: You can
adjust and save the following picture elements in either of two user
- Gamma: adjust if the neutral color is bright or dark (-3 to +3)
- Brightness: adjust if the entire picture is bright or dark (-8 to +8)
- Contrast: adjust if the far and near positions are unnatural (-7 to +7)
- Saturation: adjust if the picture is whitish or blackish (-7 to +7)
- Tint: adjust if the human skin color is unnatural (-7 to +7)
- Sharpness: adjust if the picture is indistinct (-8 to +8)
Program Play: Up to 99 DVD chapters, MP3 files, or CD/VCD/SVCD tracks can be programmed and played in any order. Once the tracks are programmed, you can use Repeat Play to repeat only the programmed tracks or one individual track. During Program play, you cannot select another disc. The program is not stored in memory, so it is lost if the unit is turned off.
Repeat Play: This unit will repeatedly play all loaded discs, all programmed tracks, the current track, the current group, or the current disc. Some repeat modes are not available on all types of discs.
A-B Repeat: You can repeat playback of a desired portion by specifying the beginning (point A) and the ending (point B). A-B Repeat cannot be used for MP3s and some DVDs. The feature can be used within the same DVD Video title, and within the same track for other discs.
Random Play: The tracks on all of the loaded discs can be played at random. Random play will end when all of the tracks on all of the loaded discs have been played. You can also repeat the current disc or the current track during random play.
Child Lock: You can lock the trays to prohibit discs from being ejected.
AM/FM Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 45 station presets (30 FM and 15 AM) so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. Presets can be directly tuned using the remote control by pressing the preset number on the keypad. The tuner has three tuning modes: Manual, Preset, and Auto (seek) tuning. If you are listening to an FM station in stereo and the reception is weak, you can improve the sound quality by switching to Mono.
Auxiliary Inputs: You can connect an auxiliary audio component to this unit via the stereo 3.5mm minijack line input on the front panel. The unit is also equipped with a Type B USB terminal on the front panel to allow you to play audio from your PC through the system. The aux input or the USB input can be selected from the front panel or remote.
Compu-Play: This unit features Compu-Play control. When you press the source button (FM/AM, Play/Pause), the unit automatically powers up and begins playback from the selected source. When you press the Aux button, the unit will power up and switch to the Aux Inputs, but you will need to manually start playback on the connected component or the PC.
Clock: The unit displays the clock in a 12-hour (AM/PM) format when the unit is in standby. When power is on, you can switch between source information and the clock display using the remote control. Note: During DVD or MP3 playback, you cannot check the current time.
Daily Timers: The FS-GD7 allows you to store three Daily Timer settings, although you can activate only one at a time. You can use a daily timer as an alarm clock to wake up to a DVD or CD, the radio, or a connected auxiliary component at a preset volume level. The source will play until it is manually turned off. Once the timer is active, it will operate every day at the set time.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the system off after a specified amount of time so you can fall asleep without worrying about the unit being left on all night. The sleep timer can be set to 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: For disc playback only, you can activate the Auto Standby mode which shuts off the power automatically if no operation is performed approximately 3 minutes after disc play stops.
Fade Muting: When you push the mute button on the remote, the volume drops gradually until it reaches "zero". When the mute is disabled, the volume gradually increases until it reaches the original volume level. Note: The volume drops from maximum to zero in approximately 2 seconds.
Headphone Output: The FS-GD7 has a 3.5mm minijack headphone output on the front panel. The main speakers are muted whenever headphones are plugged into the unit.
Display: The 3-3/8" x 13/16" LCD display features a blue backlight with a blue "glow" that extends out to the side of the front panel. The display can indicate the source name, clock, elapsed and remaining time, and track/group numbers. Icons indicate which disc trays are loaded, currently playing disc, Sound Turbo, Repeat/Random/Program play modes, MP3 playback, Timer activation, and FM reception modes.
Display Dimmer: You can change the brightness of the display to one of four settings: Dim 1 (dims the display), Dim 2 (turns off display illumination), Auto Dim (display illumination turns off when disc playback starts and turns on when playback stops), or Dimmer Off (full illumination). Note: Auto Dim function only works during playback of DVD, VCD, SVCD, and JPEG files.
Remote Control: The unit comes with a wireless remote control with a numeric keypad. Several features can be enabled solely with the remote, such as fade muting, direct track access, direct preset tuning, and FM mono/stereo switching. The dimensions of the remote are: Length=6.8", Width=2.124", Depth=0.998".
Speaker Design: The FS-GD7 includes two 6-ohm, 2-way speakers in a bass-reflex enclosure. Each speaker uses a 1-5/8" (4 cm) paper cone tweeter and a 4-3/4" poly cone woofer. The 99" speaker wires are hardwired to each speaker.
- Frequency Response: 45Hz-20,000Hz
- Power Handling: 90 watts each
- Dimensions: Width= 6.525", Height= 11.289", Depth= 9.226" (8.764" without grille)
- Weight: 6.2 pounds (each)