Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Check off the boxes
The JVC Everio GZ-GX1 camcorder checks off all the items on the knowledgeable shopper's wishlist: high-quality, light-sensitive optics? Yes. A large sensor that makes the most of what that lens delivers? Double check. True 1080/60 progressive frames-per-second recording? Absolutely. And we're just beginning.
How about class-leading image stabilization? A generous-sized LCD display? And dedicated terminals for an external microphone and headphones? I think you're beginning to get the idea. The fact is, the 'GZ-GX1 equips you for almost any motion-video challenge out there, and a lot more.
Wi-Fi is woven into the camcorder's fabric
Because the 'GX1 can latch onto almost any Wi-Fi network, it's developed a bit of a split personality. Need to keep an eye on the baby while she sleeps? The 'GX1 will send you a video feed, direct to your smartphone. With JVC's free app for iOS® and Android devices, your phone or tablet can be your critical viewfinder during shoots, your camcorder's remote control, or your home security alarm.
The useful data travels both ways, as the camcorder will use GPS information from your phone to geo-tag your videos. It also has a few network tricks all on its own: it will email a 15-second video clip to up to 8 preset addresses, for instant reports from your vacation. And it can email snapshots to your PC through any Internet access point.
It's got the essentials down
When it comes to the things you should ask every day of your camcorder, the 'GX1 has you covered. There's a 10X optical zoom lens that gives you 15X in dynamic mode to get you up close even when you're out on the fringe of the action. It has an Advanced Image Stabilizer, to take the shake and shimmy out of those long zoom shots. And the JVC Everio Series Super LoLux technology, in combination with the 'GX1's light-gathering f/1.2 lens, ensures superior sensitivity to low light. Those dusk, night, and candlelight scenes will retain their sharpness and color saturation.
There are creative touches like a Smile Meter that measures smile levels to make sure you're rolling when the fun's pegging at maximum. Add an intuitive touchscreen interface and variable-interval time-lapse recording and you've got a camcorder that deserves to make the leap from closet to messenger bag or daypack. With all those skills, why would you ever leave it at home?
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video and photos onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- records 1920 x 1080/60 AVCHD progressive-format HD video
- 1/2.3" (7.7mm) 10-megapixel back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- enhanced Advanced Image Stabilizer for rock-stable recording
- integrated Wi-Fi®, in combination with a free app from JVC, enables the following features:
- live monitoring from your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, Android device, or PC
- monitor images via access point over the Internet
- home detection monitoring: when a subject enters a detection area the camera takes a digital still and emails you
- video email mode: record a 15 second clip and email up to 8 preset recipients simultaneously
- remotely control the camera's zoom and start/stop functions from a distance with your smartphone or tablet
- transfer video to your smartphone and upload it to YouTube and Facebook
- geo-tag your recorded videos using your smartphone's GPS function
- 10X optical zoom lens; 15X dynamic zoom; 200X digital zoom
- 3.5" touchscreen LCD (920K-dot)
- full 1920 x 1080 progressive HD recording with 1080/60P output
- ultra high-speed 300fps video recording
- continuous still mode recording for easy motion analysis
- Super LoLux feature ensures superior sensitivity to low light
- zooming on-board microphone changes audio focal point to match the recorded picture
- external mic input and headphone output (3.5mm minijack)
- intelligent auto mode selects optimal settings no matter where you point the camera
- Silent Mode mutes the operation sound and dims the LCD brightness with one button
- face detection with Smile Shot/Smile Meter technology ensures great group scenes
- animation effect allows you to overlay pen strokes, decorations, and stamps on your video as you shoot
- time-lapse mode records one frame at a time at set intervals (1 sec. - 80 sec.)
- auto lens cover
- built-in flash for still shots
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output for connection to an HDTV (cable not included)
- comes with a battery charger and rechargeable BN-VG114 lithium ion battery
- 2-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 5-3/16"D
- weight: 14.2 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Shoot videos for posterity or posting online
From birthday parties to YouTube antics, camcorders let you capture moments you can share with friends and family, or the world at large. Most newer camcorders save your videos to built-in digital memory or a removable memory card. Some models come with a built-in hard disk drive that gives you much more storage. For maximum portability, check out our smaller cams that fit into a pocket or purse. For high-def videos that look awesome on your HDTV, go for a slightly larger model with a better lens and image sensor.
JVC Everio GZ-GX1 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
JVC Everio GZ-GX1
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Extremely good video quality.
Pros: Quality, good price
Cons: A little too big.
What's in the box?
- Flash memory camcorder
- BN-VG114U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V/1400mAh)
- RM-V760U Wireless remote control (with inserted CR2025 Lithium battery)
- AP-V30U AC adapter with 57" DC output cord (DC output: 5.2V/1.8A)
- 40" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini B 2.0 USB on the other end)
- 39" A/V cable with 3.5mm miniplug on one end and 3 RCA plugs (stereo audio/composite video) on the other end
- Stylus pen
- 5' HDMI cable (Mini-HDMI on one end and full-sized HDMI on other end)
- JVC Everio Application CD-ROM
- Basic User Guide
- Warranty Card (USA)
- Warranty Card (Canada)
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- Software License Agreement
- 2 Direct Monitoring Setup Guides (English and Spanish versions)
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.5|
|Total Pixel Count||10,620,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||4,770,000|
|Optical Zoom||10 x|
|Digital Zoom||20 x|
|Built-in Video Light||Yes|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||75 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||5,290,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||Yes|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9, 4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
USB 2.0 High Speed
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||14.24|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
AVCHD Progressive Recording: The JVC HD Everio GZ-GX1 compact digital camcorder is capable of recording Full 1920 x 1080 HD video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. In addition, the unit offers 1080/60p progressive recording, where each individual frame is a complete, high-resolution picture.
SD Card Slot: The GZ-GX1 has a slot for SD memory cards. The unit is compatible with SD cards up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards up to 64 GB. A 64 GB SDXC card can hold 5 hours of Full HD video at the highest recording quality. Class 4 or higher SD cards are recommended for video recording. No SD cards are included with the camcorder.
3.5" LCD Touch Screen Monitor: The GZ-GX1 is equipped with a "frameless" 3.5" Touch Panel LCD monitor. The monitor can be set to one of four brightness settings, or Auto, which sets the brightness to 4 when used outdoors and 3 indoors. The LCD has 920,000 pixels, and can rotate 270° for best visibility when shooting at difficult angles. The camcorder includes a stylus pen for more accuracy when using touch controls.
Imaging Device: The camcorder has a 1/2.3" back-illuminated CMOS image sensor with 10,620,000 total pixels. It has a recording area of 2,070,000 to 4,770,000 effective pixels for recording video, 3,980,000 to 5,290,000 effective pixels for recording 4:3 still images, and 2,990,000 to 3,970,000 effective pixels for 16:9 still images. The image sensor, along with the Falconbrid high-speed processor, lets you shoot clear color images in low light situations, as well as high-speed recording for super slow-motion playback.
Lens: The GZ-GX1 has a bright F1.2-2.8 JVC HD GT lens with a 10x optical zoom, and a focal length of 3.76mm to 37.6mm. The 35mm equivalent focal length for video is 29.5mm-448mm (dynamic zoom on) and 29.5mm-406mm (dynamic zoom off). For still images, the focal length is 29.7mm-297mm in 4:3 and 32.4mm-324mm in 16:9.
Zoom: The camcorder offers four options for zooming. In addition to the 10x optical zoom, you can select dynamic zoom of up to 15x (zoom ratio varies according to the image stabilizer setting), or digital zoom of up to 60x or 200x. When the digital zoom is used, the image can become grainy as the subject is enlarged digitally.
Note: Digital zoom is available for video recording only.
Optical Image Stabilization: You can choose from two levels of image stabilization. The Optical Image Stabilizer reduces camera shake during video recording. The Enhanced Advanced Image Stabilizer can deliver effective results over the entire zoom range, from wide-angle to telephoto.
Remote Control: The GZ-GX1 includes the RM-V760U wireless remote control. Using the remote, you can start and stop video recording, take a still image, zoom in and out, and basic playback operations. The remote is powered by a single CR2025 Lithium battery (included).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The GZ-GX1 has built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, allowing you to monitor your videos in real time using a smartphone or computer using a wireless connection. Wireless connections can be made via an Access Point or Wi-Fi Direct (Everio Sync), using a free app for Android phones and tablets, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Wi-Fi functions include:
- Live Monitoring: The one-to-one wireless connection of the camcorder to your smartphone or PC allows real-time monitoring from another room.
- Home Detection Monitoring: When a subject enters the detecting area, the camcorder will automatically take a digital still image and send it via email to your smartphone or computer through Wi-Fi.
- Video Email: You can record a 15-second video clip and have it directly emailed to up to 8 registered smartphone or computer addresses via Wi-Fi.
- Smartphone Linking: Using the free app for your
smartphone or tablet, you can do the following:
- Geotagging: Using Google Earth and the GPS function on your smartphone, the current location data can be embedded into the recorded video and stills. When played back using the included Everio MediaBrowser 4 software, the images synchronize with Google Earth.
- Data Transfer: You can access the camcorder via your smartphone and download recorded video and still images. If desired, you can upload them to your favorite sites like YouTube or Facebook.
- Remote Recording: You can use your smartphone as a remote control, and operate the camcorder from a distance, including the zoom and record start/stop functions.
- Wireless LAN Standard: IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz band)
- Using Everio Sync:
- Supported Terminals: iPhone/iPad iOS 4.3.5 or later, and Android 2.1 or later
- Signal Strength: minimum line speed of about 5.3 Mbps is recommended
- Using Web Browser:
- Operating Environment:
- OS: Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9 (or later) and Windows Media Player 12 (or later) installed
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz or higher
- Memory: 2 GB or higher
- Signal Strength: minimum line speed of about 10 Mbps for Full HD, 3 Mbps for SD, and 1.7 Mbps for Motion JPEG
- Operating Environment:
Video Recording Quality: When recording video you can choose from five Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) image quality settings. The image quality settings include 60p (28 Mbps), UXP (24 Mbps bit rate), XP (17 Mbps), SP (12 Mbps), and EP (4.8 Mbps). The approximate video recording time using an inserted 16 GB memory card is:
- 60p: 1 hour 10 min
- UXP: 1 hour 20 min
- XP: 2 hours
- SP: 2 hours 50 min
- EP: 7 hours 10 min
Still Image Sizes: In addition to recording HD video, the GZ-GX1 can record still images in 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. You can set the image sizes to 3968 x 2976 (11.8M), 2656 x 1992 (5.3M), 1920 x 1440 (2.8M), 640 x 480 (0.3M), and 1920 x 1080 (2M). Still images can also be taken during video recording by simply pressing the Snapshot button. The size of the still image captured in video mode is 1920 x 1080. A 16 GB memory card can hold 2200 still images at the highest resolution.
High-Speed Video Recording: By recording videos at a high speed, the videos can be played back in smooth slow-motion. High-speed video recording can be handy for emphasizing movements, such as a golf swing or a tennis stroke. Video is recorded at 300 frames per second at a resolution of 720 x 480. Playback time is 6 times the actual recording time. The maximum recording time is 2 hours, which would take 12 hours to play back.
Intelligent Auto: You can record video or still images without worrying about the setting details by using the Intelligent Auto Mode. Exposure and focus will be automatically adjusted to suit the shooting conditions.
Super LoLux: The GZ-GX1's Super LoLux feature ensures superior sensitivity to low light. The back-illuminated CMOS sensor lets you capture clear images with precise colors, even in low light. The camcorder's minimum illumination is 10 lux. When the NightAlive scene is selected, the minimum illumination is 1 lux.
Face Recognition: The camcorder will recognize human faces, and will track the faces while they are in the frame. The Smile Shot feature keeps track of how much the detected faces are smiling (using a % display), and automatically takes a picture every time the smile % reaches a certain level. Faces can be registered in the camera and given an identifying name. In addition to Face Recognition, the camcorder will also perform Pet Shot when the face of a registered pet is recognized in the monitor.
Picture Decorating: After a still image is captured, you can decorate it with decorations or hand-written captions. There are 8 types of decorations and 16 types of stamps that can be added to photographs. Using the supplied stylus pen, you can draw on the picture or print a name or date right on the image.
Time-Lapse Photography: The GZ-GX1 can take a series of frames at a set interval to illustrate within a short time changes to a scene that occur slowly over a long period of time. This feature can be used to photograph the opening of a flower bud, or the passing of clouds over several hours. You can set the interval at 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, or 80 seconds. The longer the interval, the faster the video will be when played back. (Example: recordings taken at 2 second intervals will be played back at 60 times speed.)
Battery: The GZ-GX1 is powered by the BN-VG114U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V/1400mAh). Optional, longer-life batteries, such as BN-VG121U and BN-VG138U, will also work with this camcorder. The batteries charge while attached to the camcorder, using the supplied AC-V11U AC adapter. The approximate recording and charging times for each battery is as follows:
|Battery Pack||Recording Time||Charging Time|
|40 min (60i)
35 min (60p)
|1 hr 15 min (60i)
1 hr (60p)
|2 hrs 30 min|
|BN-VG121U||1 hr 5 min (60i)
50 min (60p)
|1 hrs 55 min (60i)
1 hrs 30 min (60p)
|3 hrs 30 min|
|BN-VG138U||1 hr 55 min (60i)
1 hr 30 min (60p)
|3 hrs 25 min (60i)
2 hrs 45 min (60p)
|6 hrs 10 min|
HDMI: The camcorder has a Mini HDMI (Type C) output for connecting to an HDTV. A Mini-HDMI-to HDMI cable is required to connect the camcorder to an HDTV for viewing high definition video and still images. A 5' HDMI cable is included with the camcorder. If the connected TV is compatible with HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control), you can operate the camcorder using the remote from the TV.
USB: The Mini-B Version 2.0 connector allows you to connect the camcorder to your computer for downloading your videos and photos. It can also be used for connecting to a DVD Writer, BD Writer (External Blu-ray Drive), or USB External Hard Disk Drive. A 40" USB cable is included.
AV: The 3.5mm minijack AV output lets you connect the camcorder to a TV for playing back Standard Definition videos and still images. You can also connect to a DVD recorder or VCR. A 39" AV cable, with composite video and stereo RCA audio plugs, is included.
DC Power: The camcorder has an AC adapter for connecting the camcorder to standard household electrical power. The AC adapter is used to charge the battery in the camera, or to power the camcorder during long recording sessions, playback to a TV, or downloading videos to external recording devices.
Included Software: The camcorder comes with Everio MediaBrowser 4 BE software on CD-ROM. The software lets you archive and organize your videos, create discs, and upload video to YouTube and other popular websites. It is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1): Home Premium (32-bit and 64-bit editions), pre-installed
- Windows Vista (SP2): Home Basic, Home Premium (32-bit and 64-bit editions), pre-installed
- Windows XP (SP3): Home Edition, Professional, pre-installed
Note: For Mac users, you can import files from the camcorder using Apple's iMovie '08, '09, '11 (video) or iPhoto (still images). OS X version 10.6.5 or higher is required.