Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The camcorder busts out
There are plenty of times when the trusty home camcorder lives in a closet or drawer, just waiting for the next family road trip or beach vacation. Rest assured that's not likely to happen with the JVC Everio GZ-EX210. With Wi-Fi® woven into every aspect of its feature set, it's just way too useful.
Don't tell mom, the babysitter's electronic
Because the 'EX210 can latch onto almost any Wi-Fi network, it's developed a bit of a split personality. Need to keep an eye on the baby while she sleeps? The '210 will send you a video feed, direct to your smartphone. With JVC's free app for iOS® and Android devices, your phone or tablet can be your critical viewfinder during shoots, your camcorder's remote control, or your home security alarm.
The useful data travels both ways, as the camera will use GPS information from your phone to geo-tag your videos. The camera has a few network tricks all on its own: it will email a 15-second video clip to up to 8 preset addresses, for instant reports from your vacation. And it can email snapshots to your PC through any Internet access point.
It's got the essentials down
When it comes to the things you should ask every day of your camcorder, it's got you covered. The 'EX210 boasts a top-of-its-class 40X optical zoom ratio, to get you that shot when you can't move closer. It has an Advanced Image Stabilizer, to take the shake and shimmy out of those long zoom shots. And the JVC Everio Series Super LoLux technology, in combination with the 'EX210's light-gathering f/1.8 lens, ensures superior sensitivity to low light. Those dusk, night, and candlelight scenes will retain their sharpness and color saturation.
There are creative touches like a Smile Meter that measures smile levels to make sure you're rolling when the fun's pegging at maximum. Add an intuitive touchscreen interface and variable-interval time-lapse recording and you've got a camcorder that deserves to make the leap from closet to pocket, purse, or daypack. With all those skills, why would you ever leave it at home?
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video and photos onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- records 1920 x 1080 AVCHD format HD video, Standard Definition recording also available
- 1/5.8" 1.5-megapixel back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- advanced image stabilizer for shake-free recording
- integrated Wi-Fi®, in combination with a free app from JVC, enables the following features:
- live monitoring from your iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, Android; device, or PC
- monitor images via access point over the internet
- home detection monitoring: when a subject enters a detection area the camera takes a digital still and emails you
- video email mode: record a 15 second clip and email up to 8 preset recipients simultaneously
- remote control the camera's zoom and start/stop functions from a distance with your smartphone or tablet
- transfer video to your smartphone and upload it to YouTube and Facebook
- geo-tag your recorded videos using your smartphone's GPS function
- 40X optical zoom lens; 70X dynamic zoom (SD only); 200X digital zoom
- 3" touchscreen LCD
- Full 1920 x 1080 HD recording with 1080/60P output
- ultra high-speed 300fps video recording
- Super LoLux feature ensures superior sensitivity to low light
- zooming microphone changes audio focal point to match the recorded picture
- intelligent auto mode selects optimal settings no matter where you point the camera
- Silent Mode mutes the operation sound and dims the LCD brightness with one button
- face detection with Smile Shot/Smile Meter technology ensures great group scenes
- animation effect allows you to overlay pen strokes, decorations, and stamps to your video as you shoot
- time-lapse mode records one frame at a time at set intervals (1sec. - 80sec)
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface (cable included)
- mini HDMI output for connection to an HDTV (cable not included)
- comes with a battery charger and rechargeable VN-BG114 lithium ion battery
- 2-1/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 4-11/16"D
- weight: 8.3 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Shoot videos for posterity or posting online
From birthday parties to YouTube antics, camcorders let you capture moments you can share with friends and family, or the world at large. Most newer camcorders save your videos to built-in digital memory or a removable memory card. Some models come with a built-in hard disk drive that gives you much more storage. For maximum portability, check out our smaller cams that fit into a pocket or purse. For high-def videos that look awesome on your HDTV, go for a slightly larger model with a better lens and image sensor.
JVC Everio GZ-EX210 Reviews
What's in the box?
- Flash memory camcorder
- BN-VG114U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V/1400mAh)
- AC adapter with 57" DC output cord (DC output: 5.2V/1.0A)
- 40" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini B 2.0 USB on the other end)
- 39" A/V cable with 3.5mm miniplug on one end and 3 RCA plugs (stereo audio/composite video) on the other end
- 2 Ferrite core noise filters
- Stylus pen
- JVC Everio Application CD-ROM
- Basic User Guide
- Warranty Card (USA)
- Warranty Card (Canada)
- Product Registration Card/Questionnaire
- Software License Agreement
- 2 Direct Monitoring Setup Guides (English and Spanish versions)
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Total Pixel Count||1,500,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||1,250,000|
|Optical Zoom||40 x|
|Digital Zoom||2 / 50 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||120 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||1,250,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3, 16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
USB 2.0 High Speed
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.32|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Full HD Recording: The JVC HD Everio GZ-EX210 compact digital camcorder is capable of recording Full 1920 x 1080 HD video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. In addition, the unit can output your recordings at 1080p resolution for superb picture quality on TVs that support 1080p input signals.
SD Card Slot: The GZ-EX210 has a slot for SD memory cards. The unit is compatible with SD cards up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards up to 64 GB. A 64 GB SDXC card can hold over 5-1/2 hours of Full HD video at the highest recording quality. Class 4 or higher SD cards are recommended for video recording. No SD cards are included with the camcorder.
3" LCD Touch Screen Monitor: The GZ-EX210 is equipped with a "frameless" 3" Touch Panel LCD monitor. The monitor can be set to one of four brightness settings, or Auto, which sets the brightness to 4 when used outdoors and 3 indoors. The LCD has 230,000 pixels, and can rotate 270° for best visibility when shooting at difficult angles. The camcorder includes a stylus pen for more accuracy when using touch controls.
Imaging Device: The camcorder has a 1/5.8" back-illuminated CMOS image sensor with 1,500,000 total pixels. It has a recording area of 630,000 to 1,250,000 effective pixels for recording video, 930,000 effective pixels for recording 4:3 still images, and 1,250,000 effective pixels for 16:9 still images. The image sensor, along with the Falconbrid high-speed processor, lets you shoot clear color images in low light situations, as well as high-speed recording for super slow-motion playback.
Konica Minolta Lens: The GZ-EX210 has a bright F1.8-6.3 Konica Minolta HD lens with a 40x optical zoom, and a focal length of 2.9mm to 116mm. The 35mm equivalent focal length for video is 45.6mm-1824mm (AIS on) and 42.0mm-1680mm (AIS off). For still images, the focal length is 51.4mm-2056mm in 4:3 and 42.0mm-1680mm in 16:9.
Zoom: The camcorder offers four options for zooming. In addition to the 40x optical zoom, you can select dynamic zoom of up to 70x (Standard Definition only), or digital zoom of up to 80x or 200x. When the digital zoom is used, the image can become grainy as the subject is enlarged digitally.
Note: Digital zoom is available for video recording only.
Optical Image Stabilization: You can choose from two levels of image stabilization. The Optical Image Stabilizer reduces camera shake during video recording. The Advanced Image Stabilizer (AIS) is available when recording bright scenes at the wide angle end of the zoom range (5x or less).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The GZ-EX210 has built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, allowing you to monitor your videos in real time using a smartphone or computer using a wireless connection. Wireless connections can be made via an Access Point or Wi-Fi Direct (Everio Sync), using a free app for Android phones and tablets, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Wi-Fi functions include:
- Live Monitoring: The one-to-one wireless connection of the camcorder to your smartphone or PC allows real-time monitoring from another room.
- Home Detection Monitoring: When a subject enters the detecting area, the camcorder will automatically take a digital still image and send it via email to your smartphone or computer through Wi-Fi.
- Video Email: You can record a 15-second video clip and have it directly emailed to up to 8 registered smartphone or computer addresses via Wi-Fi.
- Smartphone Linking: Using the free app for your
smartphone or tablet, you can do the following:
- Geotagging: Using Google Earth and the GPS function on your smartphone, the current location data can be embedded into the recorded video and stills. When played back using the included Everio MediaBrowser 4 software, the images synchronize with Google Earth.
- Data Transfer: You can access the camcorder via your smartphone and download recorded video and still images. If desired, you can upload them to your favorite sites like YouTube or Facebook.
- Remote Recording: You can use your smartphone as a remote control, and operate the camcorder from a distance, including the zoom and record start/stop functions.
- Wireless LAN Standard: IEEE802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz band)
- Using Everio Sync:
- Supported Terminals: iPhone/iPad iOS 4.3.5 or later (presently does not work with iOS 6), and Android 2.1 or later
- Signal Strength: minimum line speed of about 5.3 Mbps is recommended
- Using Web Browser:
- Operating Environment:
- OS: Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9 (or later) and Windows Media Player 12 (or later) installed
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz or higher
- Memory: 2 GB or higher
- Signal Strength: minimum line speed of about 10 Mbps for Full HD, 3 Mbps for SD, and 1.7 Mbps for Motion JPEG.
- Operating Environment:
Video Recording Quality: When recording video you can choose from four Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) and two Standard Definition (720 x 480, interlaced) image quality settings. The image quality settings include UXP (24 Mbps bit rate), XP (17 Mbps), SP (12 Mbps), EP (4.8 Mbps), SSW (6.2 Mbps) and SEW (3 Mbps). The approximate video recording time using an inserted 16 GB memory card is:
- UXP: 1 hour 20 min
- XP: 1 hour 50 min
- SP: 2 hours 40 min
- EP: 6 hours 40 min
- SSW: 5 hours 10 min
- SEW: 10 hours 40 min
Still Image Sizes: In addition to recording HD and SD video, the GZ-EX210 can record still images in 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. You can set the image sizes to 1920 x 1080 (2M), 1440 x 1080 (1.5M), or 640 x 480 (0.3M). Still images can also be taken during video recording by simply pressing the Snapshot button. The size of the still image captured in video mode is 1920 x 1080. A 16 GB memory card can hold 9999 still images of any size.
High-Speed Video Recording: By recording videos at a high speed, the videos can be played back in smooth slow-motion. High-speed video recording can be handy for emphasizing movements, such as a golf swing or a tennis stroke. Video is recorded at 300 frames per second at a resolution of 720 x 480. Playback time is 6 times the actual recording time. The maximum recording time is 2 hours, which would take 12 hours to play back.
Intelligent Auto: You can record video or still images without worrying about the setting details by using the Intelligent Auto Mode. Exposure and focus will be automatically adjusted to suit the shooting conditions.
Super LoLux: The GZ-EX210's Super LoLux feature ensures superior sensitivity to low light. The back-illuminated CMOS sensor lets you capture clear images with precise colors, even in low light. The camcorder's minimum illumination is 3 lux. When the NightAlive scene is selected, the minimum illumination is 1 lux.
Face Recognition: The camcorder will recognize human faces, and will track the faces while they are in the frame. The Smile Shot feature keeps track of how much the detected faces are smiling (using a % display), and automatically takes a picture every time the smile % reaches a certain level. Faces can be registered in the camera and given an identifying name. In addition to Face Recognition, the camcorder will also perform Pet Shot when the face of a registered pet is recognized in the monitor.
Picture Decorating: After a still image is captured, you can decorate it with decorations or hand-written captions. There are 8 types of decorations and 16 types of stamps that can be added to photographs. Using the supplied stylus pen, you can draw on the picture or print a name or date right on the image.
Time-Lapse Photography: The GZ-EX210 can take a series of frames at a set interval to illustrate within a short time changes to a scene that occur slowly over a long period of time. This feature can be used to photograph the opening of a flower bud, or the passing of clouds over several hours. You can set the interval at 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 40, or 80 seconds. The longer the interval, the faster the video will be when played back. (Example: recordings taken at 2 second intervals will be played back at 60 times speed.)
Auto Recording: The Auto Recording function lets you record video or still images automatically by sensing changes in the subject's movement within a designated area displayed on the LCD monitor. Recording continues as long as there is movement within the area, and stops after 5 seconds of no movement. This allows you to use the camcorder as a surveillance camera or to observe something.
Battery: The GZ-EX210 is powered by the BN-VG114U Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V/1400mAh). Optional, longer-life batteries, such as BN-VG121U and BN-VG138U, will also work with this camcorder. The batteries charge while attached to the camcorder, using the supplied AC-V11U AC adapter. The approximate recording and charging times for each battery is as follows:
|Battery Pack||Recording Time||Charging Time|
|1 hr 5 min||2 hrs||2 hrs 30 min|
|BN-VG121U||1 hr 40 min||3 hrs 5 min||3 hrs 30 min|
|BN-VG138U||3 hrs||5 hrs 30 min||6 hrs 10 min|
HDMI: The camcorder has a Mini HDMI (Type C) output for connecting to an HDTV. A Mini-HDMI-to HDMI cable is required to connect the camcorder to an HDTV for viewing high definition video and still images. No HDMI cable is included with the camcorder. If the connected TV is compatible with HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control), you can operate the camcorder using the remote from the TV.
USB: The Mini-B Version 2.0 connector allows you to connect the camcorder to your computer for downloading your videos and photos. It can also be used for connecting to a DVD Writer, BD Writer (External Blu-ray Drive), or USB External Hard Disk Drive. A 40" USB cable is included.
AV: The 3.5mm minijack AV output lets you connect the camcorder to a TV for playing back Standard Definition videos and still images. You can also connect to a DVD recorder or VCR. A 39" AV cable, with composite video and stereo RCA audio plugs, is included.
DC Power: The camcorder has an AC adapter for connecting the camcorder to standard household electrical power. The AC adapter is used to charge the battery in the camera, or to power the camcorder during long recording sessions, playback to a TV, or downloading videos to external recording devices.
Included Software: The camcorder comes with Everio MediaBrowser 4 software on CD-ROM. The software lets you archive and organize your videos, create discs, and upload video to YouTube and other popular websites. It is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1): Home Premium (32-bit and 64-bit editions), pre-installed
- Windows Vista (SP2): Home Basic, Home Premium (32-bit and 64-bit editions), pre-installed
- Windows XP (SP3): Home Edition, Professional, pre-installed
Note: For Mac users, you can import files from the camcorder using Apple's iMovie '08, '09, '11 (video) or iPhoto (still images). OS X version 10.6.5 or higher is required.