Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Whether you're shopping for your first home theater or looking to downsize from a stack of components, you'll be knocked out by the sound quality and simplicity of JVC's TH-A9. It's also an ideal way to enjoy no-hassle home theater in a smaller space like a bedroom, dorm room, or den.
The compact center console has Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding to fill your room with multichannel surround sound. Its DVD player also plays your CDs and CD-Rs. The stylish top-loading design features a clear lid so you can see the disc spinning. DVD playback is impressive; component video output is included for maximum picture quality with a compatible TV.
The 5 voice-matched micro-satellite speakers (2 front, 2 surround, and center) deliver remarkably clean, clear sound. The powered subwoofer houses the amplifiers for the entire system; output is 20 watts x 5 for the satellites plus 100 watts to drive the 8" subwoofer. Setup takes just minutes: You connect the system cable between the center console and the subwoofer, then hook all the satellites to the subwoofer.
You can customize the sound to fit your tastes using the multichannel DSP modes and soundfields. Basic operation is easy thanks to clear on-screen menus and a fluorescent display on the console.Details:
DVD/CD center console:
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, and audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs
- built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic decoding
- Digital Acoustics Processor
- tuner with 15 AM/30 FM presets
- 1 audio input
- 1 monitor video output (composite, S-video, and component video)
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- multibrand remote (TV/VCR/DBS/cable)
- JVC AV CompuLink
- 14-3/16"W x 3"H x 11"D
- 8" cone
- 6-channel amp (20 watts x 5, plus 100 watts for subwoofer)
- 9-7/16"W x 17-1/8"H x 17-3/4"D
- video-shielded, bass-reflex
- wall-mountable (brackets supplied for surround speakers)
- 2-9/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 4-5/8"D
- frequency response 25-20,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
JVC TH-A9 Reviews
What's in the box?
- XV-THA9 AM/FM/DVD center unit
- SP-PWA9 Powered subwoofer
- 4 SP-XSA9 satellite speakers
- 1 SP-XCA9 center speaker
- RM-STHA9J Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 5.75' AC power cord
- 16' System cable (has an 8-pin male connector on each end)
- 37" Compulink cord (has male mono mini-jack on each end)
- 9.5' Video RCA patch cord
- Three 16.4' lengths of speaker wire (each length has bare wire on each end)
- Two 32.8' lengths of speaker wire (each length has bare wire on each end)
- 2 Metal speaker wall brackets
- 2 Machine screws (each screw has a flat plastic washer/a flat metal washer and a lock washer)
- Important Product Safety Instruction
- Product Safety Registration Card/Questionnaire
DVD Player: This system has a single DVD player that is compatible with the following discs: DVDs, Video CDs, audio CDs, finalized audio CD-Rs, and finalized audio CD-RWs.
Decoding: This system has built-in Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.
96kHz/24-bit Audio DAC: This unit has a 96kHz/24-bit D/A converter that allows it to play back DVDs with 96kHz/24-bit linear PCM digital audio.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen display language can be set to English, French, or Spanish.
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Pro Logic
Digital Acoustic Processor (DAP) Modes: The effect level of each DAP mode can be adjusted from 1 to 5, allowing you to customize the sound effect. You can choose from the following DAP modes:
- Theater: Reproduces the sound field of a large theater
- Live Club: Reproduces the feeling of a live music club with a low ceiling
- Dance Club: Emphasizes the low frequencies
- Hall: Reproduces clear vocals and the feeling of a concert hall
- Pavilion: Reproduces the spacious feeling of a pavilion with a high ceiling
- Front Speakers: You can select LARGE or SMALL. When using the supplied satellites, the front speaker size must be set SMALL.
- Center Speaker: You can select SMALL or NONE
- Rear Speakers: When the front speaker size is set to SMALL, you can set the rear speaker size to SMALL or NONE. When the front speaker size is set to LARGE, you can set the rear speaker size to LARGE, SMALL or NONE. When using the supplied satellites, the rear speaker size must be set SMALL.
- Center Delay: Allows you to adjust the center delay setting from 0 to 5 msec in 1 msec increments
- Rear Delay: Allows you to adjust the rear delay setting from 0 to 15 msec in 1 msec increments
- Crossover: The channels set to SMALL are filtered with a selectable high-pass crossover. You can select a crossover point of 100Hz, 120Hz, or 200Hz.
- LFE Attenuator: When the bass is distorted, you can turn on the LFE attenuator
- Dynamic Range Compression: Allows you to select a compression setting of Max, Mid, or Off. Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital sources.
Subwoofer Level: You can adjust the level of the subwoofer from -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments.
Test Tone: The test tone allows you to adjust the output level of each channel.
Resume Playback: This feature allows you to resume playback from the position where a DVD or Video CD was stopped. The position is cleared when you open the disc cover, or press the stop button while the unit is not playing.
Digest Function: This function displays a small still picture of the opening scene of each title on a DVD, or each track on a Video CD. Up to nine still pictures can be displayed at a time. You can access any title or track by clicking on the still picture.
Strobe Function: Using the Strobe function, you can display a series of nine consecutive still pictures.
Zoom Function: The unit zooms in to the center part of a scene to produce a double-sized image. You can zoom in on a DVD or Video CD during play or pause mode. Using the cursor buttons on the remote, you can move the enlarged image..
Multi-Angle Function: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVD movies recorded with multiple camera angles.
Theater Position: You can select one of four levels (Off, 1, 2 and 3), each of which gives you a progressively darker picture. Off is the normal setting.
Repeat Play: The "Repeat A-B" function allows you to select any portion of a DVD, Video CD or audio CD and have it repeat until the unit is manually stopped. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title or the current chapter. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc.
Program Play: Up to 18 titles or tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Random Play: When playing a DVD, you can play the titles in random order. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Fast Search: There are five fast-play speeds in both forward and reverse: 2X, 5X, 10X, 20X and 60X the normal speed.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of six slow motion speeds: 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 the normal speed. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of five slow motion speeds: 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/3 the normal speed.
Parental Lock Function: You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer turns the system off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120, or 150 minutes.
Language Menu Settings:
- Menu Language: Allows you to select a default menu display language
- Audio Language: Allows you to select a default audio language
- Subtitle Language: Allows you to select a default subtitle language
- On-Screen Language: Allows you to select English, Spanish or French as the on-screen display language
Display Menu Settings:
- Monitor Type: Allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV); 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format) or 16:9 wide (used when using a wide-screen TV with a 16:9 ratio).
- Screen Saver: Protects against screen burnout by selecting a screensaver after approximately 5 minutes. You can select Off (no screen saver), Mode 1 (darkens the screen), or Mode 2 (uses the "screen saver" picture).
- On-Screen Guide: Allows you to turn the on-screen guide icons On or Off
System Menu Settings:
- Auto Standby: Allows you to select when the unit will go into standby mode when it is not being operated or it is sitting in stop mode. You can select 30 minutes, 60 minutes or Off.
- Resume: Allows you to turn the resume feature On or Off
- AV Compu Link: Allows you to select DVD 1, 2 or 3 depending on how the DVD player is hooked up to compatible JVC Compu Link receivers and/or televisions
Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 30 FM and 15 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. Using the supplied remote control, you can directly access preset stations after they are stored. If you are listening to an FM station in stereo but the reception is weak, you can improve the sound quality by switching to Mono. Note: FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 10 kHz steps.
Powered Subwoofer: The subwoofer uses an 8" woofer powered by a 100-watt amplifier in a bass-reflex enclosure. A rear-mounted level control allows you to match the output of the subwoofer to the rest of your system. Next to the volume control is a phase button that allows you to select normal or reverse.
Satellites: Each satellite has a 2-15/16"x1-5/8" full-range paper cone driver in a bass-reflex enclosure. For a smoother response and improved durability, the full-range drivers use rubber surrounds. Each satellite has a set of spring clip terminals that will accept bare wire and pin connectors. Each speaker is covered by a non-removable, light gray cloth grille.
Center Speaker: The center speaker has a 2-3/4"x1-5/8" full-range paper cone driver in a bass-reflex enclosure. For a smoother response and improved durability, the full-range driver uses a rubber surround. The set of rear-mounted spring clip terminals will accept bare wire and pin connectors. The center speaker is covered by a non-removable, light gray cloth grille.
Satellite and Center Speaker Mounting: The center speaker and each satellite has an M5 (5mm) threaded insert on the back. The satellites can be mounted on the wall using an optional bracket or an M5 (5mm) screw (not included). Two metal brackets are supplied for mounting the rear satellites. If you do not wish to mount the center speaker or the satellites on the wall, you can place them on any flat surface.
Video-Shielding: The center speaker and satellites are video-shielded.
Multibrand Remote: The TH-A9 comes with a remote that is pre-programmed to operate this system and a number of functions on other brands of components, including VCRs, TVs, cable boxes, and DBS tuners.
- AM Antenna Input: Two spring clip connectors
- FM Antenna Input: Slip-on F-Type connector
- Aux In: Stereo RCA jacks
- Video Out: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB" and "PR")
- SP-PWA9 Connector: 8-pin female jack for use with supplied system cable (connects center unit to the powered subwoofer)
- AV Compu Link: 2 female mini-jacks for use with compatible JVC components
- AC In: AC jack for use with supplied AC power cord
- XV-THA9 Connector: 8-pin female jack for use with supplied system cable (connects powered subwoofer to the center unit)
- Speaker Outputs: Spring clip outputs for front left, front right, center, rear left, and rear right speakers
- Center Unit: W=14.1875", H=2.942" (7.395" with the disc cover open), D=11.025"
- Powered Subwoofer: W=9.408", H=17.125", D=17.75"
- Satellites: W=2.539", H=4.85", D=4.577"
- Center Speaker: W=4.807", H=2.588", D=4.513"
- FM Tuning Range: 87.5 to 108MHz
- AM Tuning Range: 530 to 1710kHz
- FM Usable Sensitivity: 12.8 dBf
- AM Usable Sensitivity: 630 micro volts
- Front/Rear/Center Output Power: 20 watts x 5 (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD); 30 watts x 5 (4 ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD)
- Powered Subwoofer Output Power: 100 watts (4 ohms, 100Hz, 0.7% THD); 140 watts (4 ohms, 100Hz, 10% THD)
- Frequency Range: 25-200Hz
- Power Handing Capacity: 30 watts
- Frequency Range: 95Hz-20kHz
- Power Handing Capacity: 30 watts
- Frequency Range: 95Hz-20kHz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.