Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
DVD/CD player with progressive scan (Black)
Item #: 257XVS500B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JVC XV-S500BK by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Whether you choose the black or silver version, this DVD player delivers high-performance progressive-scan video at an amazingly low price! If you already own an HDTV or HDTV-ready TV, select progressive-scan output on this player and start enjoying a smoother, more filmlike look on your DVDs. Or choose interlaced-scan video for a great picture with your regular TV, until you're ready to upgrade.
This well-connected model has the component video jacks that progressive-scan signals require, and it also has composite and S-video jacks so you can choose the connection that works best with your TV. Both optical and coaxial digital outputs are provided to connect to a Dolby® Digital/DTS® receiver. The remote control makes DVD playback a breeze, and also handles basic functions on most TV brands.
Want audio versatility? These models not only play your audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but also ultra-long-playing MP3-encoded CD-Rs and CD-RWs.
- plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter
- selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
- de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- 3D-Phonic virtual surround sound for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and 480i/480p component video)
- picture zoom
- JPEG digital still playback
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- JVC AV CompuLink
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- 17-1/16"W x 2-11/16"H x 10-11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- Black single DVD/CD player
- RM-SXV008J remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 3.5' Stereo audio/video RCA patch cord
- 3.5' RGB component video RCA cable
- Instruction manual (English only)
- Supplements for MP3 playback and Digital output usage sheet
- Supplement for MP3 and JPEG discs sheet
- Safety instructions
- Product registration card/questionnaire
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: This unit can play the following discs:
- DVD: 5" or 3" single sided, single layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only)
- DVD: 5" or 3" single sided, double layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only)
- DVD: 5" or 3" double sided, double layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only)
- DVD-R: 5" or 3" double sided, double layer, NTSC, ("Region 1" or "All Region" DVDs only
- Video CD (VCD): 5" or 3"
- Super Video CD (SVCD): 5" or 3"
- Audio CD: 5" or 3"
- CD-R: 5" or 3"
- CD-RW: 5" or 3"
- JPEG Digital Still Files on CD-R/W
- MP3 Discs
High-Bit/High Sampling Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 10-bit/54MHz video digital-to-analog converter, which reduces digital artifacts for a better picture.
Audio D/A converter: This unit has a 96 kHz/24-bit audio Digital to Analog converter that will allow it to play back video DVDs recorded with 96 kHz/24-bit audio. To hear the full benefits of 96 kHz/24-bit audio, you must use the analog outputs of this unit; the digital outputs will not deliver a 96 kHz/24-bit signal (see note below).
Note: When the unit is playing a DVD recorded with a 96 kHz sampling frequency, the signal is down converted and passed as a 48kHz/16 bit signal through the digital outputs. When the unit is playing a DVD recorded with a 48 kHz sampling frequency and 20 or 24 bit word lengths, the signal is passed as a 48kHz/16 bit signal through the digital outputs.
Progressive Scan Output: Supports the Progressive scan system, as well as the conventional Interlace scan system. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like interlaced scan, progressive scan displays the entire frame in a single sweep. Where a standard DVD player's 480i output displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, a progressive-scan player's 480p output displays 60 full frames per second. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film-like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Progressive-scan viewing requires an "HDTV-ready" TV. The progressive scan output is carried through the Component Video Output.
480i, 480p, or Remote Switch: This switch allows you to choose which video output is used. When you position the switch to the "Remote" position, you can choose progressive scan or interlaced scan from the remote control. This switch is found on back of the DVD player.
Component Video Output: In addition to the composite video output and the S-video output, this unit is equipped with a set of component video outputs. When connected to a television with a component video input, the component video output of this unit will provide picture color and detail that is improved relative to video from composite and S-video outputs.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen menu language can be set to English, French, or Spanish. The display works for DVD video discs and audio CDs, letting you perform numerous functions, including track programming.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 audio recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 format. Although the front panel display will not show file names, the file names can be shown using the on-screen display. During MP3 playback, rapid forward/reverse playback is not available, tracks cannot be played back in random or programmed order, and the unit does not output a digital audio signal from the digital outputs.
JPEG Digital Still Playback: Along with playing MP3 files, this DVD player will digital still files that are on discs that contain JPEG files. Like MP3 files, the CD-R and CD-RW discs must be recorded using the ISO 9660 format. Note: The XV-S502SL will only recognize baseline JPEG files, which is the format used by digital cameras, camcorders, the web, etc. If you have a disc that contains both MP3 and JPEG files, you have to choose which files you want to work with by going into the menu select and choosing either "MP3" or "JPEG".
3D Phonic Surround Sound: When playing a Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital disc, this feature allows you to obtain a surround sound effect from only two speakers. You may select one of the following modes: Action, Drama, or Theater. Note: This feature only affects the analog audio outputs.
Zoom: The zoom feature allows you to double the image size, up to 1024x, for a closer examination of a particular part of the picture. You may move the picture around the screen while it is enlarged to locate a specific area. You may also zoom out down to 1/8x.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes, which were shot from a number of different angles. Note: This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Digest Function: The Digest function allows the unit to display the opening scene of each title or chapter on a DVD disc, or the opening scene of each track on a Video CD. It will display up to nine chapters at a time.
Strobe Function: The Strobe function allows you to display a series of nine consecutive still pictures. You can advance the images by pressing the "Play" button while in Strobe mode.
Picture Character Adjustment [VFP]: You can adjust the picture character according to he type of programming, picture tone, or personal preferences. There are four presets: NORMAL, CINEMA, USER 1, and USER 2. NORMAL and CINEMA are factory presets and cannot be adjusted. USER 1 and USER 2 have the following adjustable parameters that can be stored:
- Gamma (Controls the brightness of neutral tints while maintaining the brightness of dark and bright portions)
- Saturation (Controls the color depth of the screen)
- Y Delay (Controls the color gap of the screen)
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be saved even if the power is turned off.
Repeat Play: The "Repeat A-B" function allows you to select any portion of a DVD, Video CD or Audio CD and have it repeat until the unit is manually stopped. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title or the current chapter. When playing a Video CD or an Audio CD, you can repeat the current track or the entire disc.
Random Play: When playing a DVD, you can play the titles in random order. When playing a Video CD or an Audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order.
Program Play: Up to 99 titles or tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Fast Search: There are five fast-play speeds in both forward and reverse: 2X, 5X, 10X, 20X and 60X the normal speed.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of six slow motion speeds: 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 the normal speed. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of five slow motion speeds: 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, 1/4, or 1/3 the normal speed.
Parental Lock Function: Restricts playback of DVD Video discs which contain violent and other types of content, according to the level set by the user. For example, if a movie containing violent scenes supports the parental lock feature, such scenes can be cut or replaced with other scenes. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Discs rated higher than the selected level are restricted.
- Menu Language: used to select a default display language
- Audio Language: used to select a default audio language
- Subtitle Language: used to select a default subtitle language
- On-Screen Language: used to select English, Spanish or French as the on-screen display language
- Digital Audio Output: selects what kind of signal is passed through the unit's digital outputs. You can select PCM only, Stream/PCM (used when connecting the unit to a component with both DTS and Dolby Digital decoding) or Dolby Digital/PCM (used when connecting this unit to a component with Dolby Digital decoding, but no DTS decoder).
- Analog Down Mix: allows you to select "Dolby Surround", which sounds best when used with a Dolby Pro Logic decoder, or "Stereo", which is used when the player is connected to a stereo amplifier or digital recorder.
- D Range Compression: used to compress the sound for better intelligibility at low volumes. Note that the DVD must support this function. This feature can be turned On or Off.
Type: Allows you to select:
- 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV)
- 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format)
- 16:9 Auto (should be selected when you connect a wide-screen TV)
- 16:9 Normal (should be selected when you connect a wide-screen TV whose aspect ratio is fixed at 16:9).
- Screen Saver: protects against screen burnout by selecting a screensaver after approximately 5 minutes. You can select Off (no screen saver), Mode 1 (darkens the screen), or Mode 2 (uses the "screen saver" picture).
- On-Screen Guide: used to turn the on-screen guide icons On or Off
- Auto Standby: Allows you to select when the unit will go into standby mode when it is not being operated or it is sitting in stop mode. You can select 30 minutes, 60 minutes or Off.
- AV Compulink: Can select DVD 1, 2 or 3 depending on how the DVD player is hooked up to compatible JVC Compulink receivers and/or televisions.
- Audio Out: stereo RCA jacks
- Video Out: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack, Component video jacks (3 RCA jacks, Y/Pb/Pr)
- Coaxial Digital Out: standard coaxial digital jack
- Optical Digital Out: standard Toslink digital output with plastic cover
- AV Compulink: 2 mono mini-jacks for use with JVC AV Compulink equipped components
- AC In: AC input for use with supplied AC power cord
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.