Our take on the Olympus DM-901
Quality recordings, from near and far
When you need to record a lecture, speech, or press conference, there are lots of digital voice recorders that can get the job done. But few offer the versatility of the Olympus DM-901. Its built-in stereo microphones capture clear recordings, while noise cancellation minimizes background sounds. But this recorder's best features allow you to capture recordings from far away, without having to sneak to the front of the room.
Record lectures, interviews, and meetings with the compact DM-901. Connect it wirelessly to your smartphone to control it remotely.
Built in Wi-Fi for smartphone control
The DM-901's Wi-Fi function allows you to wirelessly link the recorder with your smartphone. Download the free Olympus Audio Controller app on your Apple® or Android™ device. Then you can create a direct connection with the recorder. This allows you to place the recorder at the front of the room near the person speaking, while maintaining control with your smartphone. Start and stop recordings and add index marks as you record. If you snap photos with your smartphone during the speech, you can even link those photos to the recording for visual index marks. Once your recording is complete, you can upload it to Dropbox™ from the app for easy downloading later on your computer or to share with colleagues.
"Zoom" in on distant voices
Even without a smartphone, this recorder can effectively capture voices from a distance. The built-in stereo mics feature zoom mode, so you can increase their directional polar pattern, thus "zooming in" on your subject's voice. All your recordings can be stored in one of three formats: MP3 (for maximum recording time), WMA (for better sound quality), or WAV (for CD-quality detail and clarity). You can also listen to music files in any of these formats with the included in-ear headphones.
Use the built-in speaker to play back recordings, or plug in the headphones for more discreet listening or monitoring. Voice Playback mode skips the non-vocal parts of your recording, so you don't waste time. The Voice Balancer function compensates for distance — great for recordings of interviews or meetings. There are also Transcription and Language modes that let you quickly jump forward or skip back to re-listen to passages repeatedly before moving on.
Color display and expandable memory
The DM-901 features a 2-inch color LCD display and 4GB of built-in memory, enough for up to 850 hours of recording time. If you need more, insert an SD card into the player and keep recording. Transfer recordings to your computer with the included USB cable. The included rechargeable battery offers up to 29 hours of operation.
- built-in stereo microphones
- built-in Wi-Fi allows you to link with a smartphone for remote control of the recorder with the free Olympus Audio Controller app for Apple and Android
- snap photos with your smartphone to use as a visual index of your recording by linking them to your recording's timeline
- zoom microphone mode offers enhanced directional recording for distant audio sources
- noise cancellation minimizes background noise for clearer playback
- Scene Select automatically optimizes settings for different uses, including Lecture, Meeting, and Dictation
- Voice Playback automatically skips non-voice portions of recording
- Voice Balancer automatically adjusts playback levels to compensate for low recording levels during some passages
- Transcription and Language playback modes let you easily skip forward and backward for repeated listening to portions of a recording
- built-in music player for listening to digital music files (MP3, WMA, WAV)
- 4GB internal memory
- records to MP3, WMA, or PCM audio files
- add up to 99 index marks for easy access to specific points in a recording
- SD card slot for memory expansion (up to 64GB cards, not included)
- 2" color LCD display
- up to 29 hours of operation with rechargeable lithium ion battery (included)
- built-in speaker
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB interface allows transfer of files to a PC as well as recharging the battery
- minijack (3.5mm) headphone output
- minijack (3.5mm) input for an optional external microphone