Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle
16-megapixel mirrorless camera with 17mm lens and add-on viewfinder (Black)
Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle - Back, 3/4 view, from left, with included viewfinder
Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle - Front, straight-on, with included electronic viewfinder
Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle - The included electronic viewfinder tilts 90 degrees
Item #: 279EP517K
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Olympus PEN E-P5 LCD touchscreen tilts up and down
Success begets success
Olympus has been on a roll. First they garner the coveted honor of "Camera of the Year" from a major photography magazine in late 2012 for their ground-breaking OM-D E-M5 mirrorless hybrid. Then their "tough" cameras get major love in the press as well. So how, exactly, are they planning to follow up all the success?
With this: The Olympus PEN E-P5 rangefinder-style interchangeable-lens digital camera. It's got pretty much all the features that made us drool over the E-M5, and quite a few new ones to boot. Plus, there's that classic rangefinder styling — a look that infuses this camera with maximum coolness while keeping it compact and responsive to your creative impulse. It's available in multiple finishes, too.
They kept the cool stuff...
So what are the great features from its predecessors that came before? Here's a sampling: how about the great 16-megapixel sensor that's proven itself in the E-M5... or 5-axis, in-body image stabilization... or a built-in intervallometer, so you can create great time-lapse movies right in the camera. Even "Photo Story" mode, a clever multi-image mode of expression, has been borrowed from Olympus's compact line and added to the PEN E-P5's heady mix.
The included Olympus VF-4 electronic viewfinder also tilts.
... and added much more
And what's new this time around? Built-in Wi-Fi®, for cool new remote control and file-sharing options. Super-spot autofocus, for pinpoint control of your focal plane. A top shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec., so you can freeze something that moves way faster than the blink of an eye. And lots more — just take a look at the list of bullets below.
This version of the PEN E-P5 kit comes with two "must-haves" for anyone that's serious about making this their main camera: a bright, high-resolution 2.36-million dot LCD electronic viewfinder, which automatically switches on when you raise the camera to eye level; and a bright, superbly constructed 17mm f/1.8 fixed focal-length lens, that features an equivalent focal length of 34mm — a moderate wide-angle. With its large aperture size, it will gather light with ease, giving you lots of creative options when the lights are low.
What's in the Box:
- Olympus E-P5 digital camera body (black) with attached BC-2 body cap
- M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f/1.8 lens (with LC-46 and LR-2 lens caps installed)
- VF-4 Electronic viewfinder
- BLN-1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.6V 1220mAh)
- BCN-1 Battery charger (8.7V 0.6A)
- 6' AC power cord
- 54" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary multi-connector on other end)
- Neck strap
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Basic Manual
- Warranty card
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- Four Thirds-type Live MOS image sensor (17.3 x 13.0 mm)
- five-axis in-body image stabilization provides shake and movement compensation for all attached lenses, even with rotational movements
- includes M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 prime lens with an equivalent focal length of 34mm
- includes VF-4 electronic viewfinder
- 3" (1,037,000 dot) tilting LCD touchscreen
- full-time live control mode for LCD screen and viewfinder lets you instantly see the effects of exposure, creative effect and white balance settings
- provided VF-4 high-def (2,360,000-dot) electronic viewfinder offers automatic EVF/monitor switching at eye level
- 1/8,000 sec. maximum shutter speed enables the freezing of extremely fast-moving subjects
- built-in Wi-Fi® allows remote control of camera, geo-tagging, and easy file sharing via Olympus O.I. Share smart device app
- "2 x 2" dial control lets you control exposure levels and camera settings intuitively
- built-in dust reduction system to keep image sensor clean
- 35-area predictive 3D-tracking autofocus for accurate, high-speed focusing, even when subject is moving away or toward you
- face/eye detection autofocus with face recognition locks in focus for sharp candids and portraits
- on-board intervallometer allows time-lapse movies of up to 10 seconds to be generated within the camera
- 12 in-camera art filters can be applied to both stills and HD movies, both during and after capture
- 5 different aspect ratios available for specific framing options without cropping
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with the large and growing family of Micro Four Thirds Mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 9 frames per second in H mode (max. 20 frames in RAW/70 frames in JPEG), up to 4 fps in L mode
- shutter speed range: 60-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 (1/3 or 1 EV steps selectable)
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully intelligent automatic exposure modes
- auto exposure bracketing: 2, 3, or 5 frames
- white balance bracketing: up to 3 frames in 2/4/6 steps, in both blue/amber axis and magenta/green axis
- 22 preset scene modes
- 12 in-camera art filters including pop art and pin hole camera
- flash sync 1/320 second on built-in flash
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG (Fine), RAW+JPEG (Standard), MPO (for 3D stills)
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4,608 x 3,456
- high-definition stereo movies use quicktime .mov file wrapper
- 1,920 x 1,080 resolution at 30 progressive frames per second
- 1,280 x 720 resolution at 30p
- Motion JPEG files with stereo sound: up to 1,280 x 720 at 30 frames per second using the .avi file wrapper, VGA (640 x480 at 30 fps) also available
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- audio (monaural)/video out (NTSC/PAL)
- input for optional RM-UC1 wired remote control
- 5-5/16"W x 2-13/16"H x 2-15/16"D
- weight (with memory card and battery): 13.33 oz.
- M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 prime lens with an equivalent focal length of 34mm
- VF-4 electronic viewfinder
- rechargeable BLN-1 lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- shoulder strap
- body cap
- USB and audio/video cable
- software CD-ROM
Olympus PEN E-P5 17mm Lens and Viewfinder Bundle Reviews
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||34mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||16.1|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||14.82|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Olympus PEN: The Olympus E-P5, the latest update in the PEN family lineup, is equipped with the most advanced digital camera features, while still maintaining the classic look of the original PEN camera. It has an ultra-fast 1/8000 shutter speed to capture split-second action, a 5-axis image stabilization system, built-in Wi-Fi, and a tilting 3" touchscreen LCD. This kit includes the E-P5 body, the VF-4 electronic viewfinder, and the new M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 lens.
M. Zuiko Digital Lens: The new M. Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 wide angle lens lets you shoot high-quality pictures of landscapes and portraits. The lens fits the camera's Micro Four Thirds lens mount.
Image Pickup Device: The E-P5 uses a 4/3" Live MOS sensor with approximately 17,200,000 total pixels and 16,100,000 effective pixels. The camera incorporates a dust reduction system to keep dust from getting on the image pickup device. When the camera is turned on, ultrasonic vibrations shakes off dust particles from the image pickup device.
3" Tilting LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The E-P5 features a 3" tilting LCD touchscreen monitor with approximately 1,037,000 dots. You can tilt the monitor upward up to 80° and downward up to 50° so you can frame your shots from difficult angles. The electrostatic capacitance touch panel lets you tap a subject on the screen to focus and automatically release the shutter. While viewing photos, you can swipe the screen to the left or right to scroll through the frames, and zoom in and out of a photo by sliding your finger up and down the zoom bar.
VF-4 Electronic Viewfinder: The VF-4 Electronic Viewfinder (included with this kit) is a separate device which mounts to the camera's hot shoe. As you slide the VF-4 onto the hot shoe, it connects to the rear-mounted accessory port. The 2,360,000-dot VF-4 provides a bright clear view of your subject. The VF-4 EVF can be tilted up to 90° for unusual viewing angles. It also has a diopter so you can adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight.
Accessory Port: In addition to the VF-4 Electronic Viewfinder, the accessory port can be used for the optional SEMA-1 external microphone adapter set.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The E-P5 has built-in Wi-Fi technology, which allows you to view and transfer JPEG images and movies stored on the camera on your smartphone. You can also operate some of the camera functions from your smartphone, including shooting pictures. The camera is compatible with wireless LAN standard IEEE 802.11b/g/n.
Live View: Using the Live MOS imaging sensor and the LCD monitor (or EVF), you can view the subject you are taking a picture of, and the effect that exposure or white balance adjustments have on the composition. The image shown is the same image received by the Live MOS sensor. Live View also allows you to enlarge part of the subject for focusing or checking the composition using the display ruled lines. Live View Boost brightens the monitor/viewfinder temporarily for better confirmation of your subject.
Image Recording Formats: The E-P5 records digital still images in JPEG format, as well as RAW uncompressed images. You can record audio clips up to 30 seconds long with still images in WAV format. Movies are recorded in two formats: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and Motion JPEG.
Digital Tele-Converter: The Digital Tele-converter is used to zoom in beyond the current focal length. The zoom is increased by about 2x, and the camera saves the center crop.
Still Image File Sizes: The E-P5 allows you to shoot JPEG still images in 8 sizes with your choice of 4 compression modes. The available picture sizes in the 4:3 aspect ratio include 4608 x 3456, 3200 x 2400, 2560 x 1920, 1920 x 1440, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 1024 x 768, and 640 x 480. The 4:3 image sizes can each be trimmed to produce images in 16:9, 3:2, 3:4, or 1:1 aspect ratios. Compression modes available for each picture resolution are Super Fine (1/2.7 compression), Fine (1/4), Normal (1/8), and Basic (1/12). RAW images can be recorded only in 4608 x 3456 resolution with loss-less compression (approximately 1/1.5 compression).
Movie Modes: Two movie recording modes are available to choose from: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (best for displaying on TVs and other devices) and Motion JPEG (best for computer playback and editing). In MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, you can record in Full HD 1920 x 1080 (Fine and Normal) and HD 1280 x 720 (Fine and Normal). In Motion JPEG, you can record in HD (1280 x 720) or SD (640 x 480). Maximum length for individual recordings: 29 minutes for MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and 2 GB in size for Motion JPEG.
Recording Media: Still images and movies with sound are recorded on SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. (Class 6 cards or better are recommended for movie shooting.)
Image Stabilization: The E-P5 utilizes mechanical (sensor shift-type) image stabilization to automatically compensate for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens. You can choose from the following stabilization modes:
- S-I.S. 1: Image stabilizer on
- S-I.S. 2: Vertical image stabilizer is on and horizontal image stabilizer is off. This is used for panning with the camera in the horizontal direction to achieve a blurred background.
- S-I.S. 3: Horizontal image stabilizer is on and vertical image stabilizer is off. This is used for panning with the camera in the vertical direction to achieve a blurred background (tilting).
- S-I.S. Auto: Camera detects the panning direction and applies the appropriate image stabilization.
- Movie-I.S.: In addition to Auto image stabilization, the cameras shake that occurs when shooting while walking is also reduced.
- Off: Image stabilizer is off.
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can choose from the following Shooting Modes:
- iAuto: A full auto mode in which the camera automatically optimizes settings for the current scene. This mode is recommended for beginners.
- Program Shooting: Shoot using an aperture and shutter speed that the camera sets.
- Aperture Priority: Set the aperture manually, and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically.
- Shutter Priority: Set the shutter speed manually between 1/8000 to 60 seconds, and the camera sets the aperture automatically.
- Manual Priority: Set the shutter speed and aperture manually.
- Art Filter: You can select from the following Art Filters: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Dramatic Tone, Key Line, Watercolor, and ART bracketing.
- Scene Modes: You can select from the following Scene Modes: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Sport, Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Children, High Key, Low Key, DIS mode, Macro, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Fisheye Effect, Wide-Angle, Macro, and 3D photo.
- Photo Story: You can easily create a combination of photos called a Photo Story. A standard photo story captures three images in a single layout to tell a story. You can also choose Fun Frames as a type of Photo Story.
- Movies: Used for shooting movies. You can also shoot movies in Program, Aperture Priority, and Manual.
Picture Modes: In addition to Art Filters (above), the camera lets you select picture modes, processing options to create unique image effects. For each picture mode, you can fine-adjust the image parameters, such as contrast and sharpness. The Picture Modes include:
- iEnhance: produces more impressive-looking pictures matched to the scene mode
- Vivid: produces vivid colors
- Natural: produces natural colors
- Muted: produces flat tones
- Portrait: produces beautiful skin tones
- Monotone: produces black and white tones
- Custom: lets you select one of the above modes, set the parameters, and register the setting.
Focus Modes: The E-P5 uses automatic focusing and manual focusing. You can select from the following focus modes:
- Single-AF: The camera focuses when shutter pressed halfway.
- Continuous-AF: The camera is always focusing.
- Manual: You can focus manually by turning the focus ring
- Single-AF + Manual: You can fine-adjust the focus manually using the focus ring after AF is performed in the Single-AF mode
- Continuous-AF + Tracking: The camera tracks and maintains focus on the subject when shutter button is pressed halfway.
Auto-Focus Target: The camera has 35 Auto-Focus targets for focusing on the subject. In the All-Target AF mode, the camera automatically focuses on one of the 35 AF targets. In the Single-Target AF mode, you can manually select one AF target for accurately focusing on the subject after composing the shot.
ISO Settings: The sensitivity can be set automatically or manually. The manual ISO sensitivity ranges from ISO 200 to 25600, plus a LOW setting, with selectable ISO steps of 1 EV or 1/3 EV.
White Balance: Color reproduction depends upon light conditions. You can choose from 4 options for setting the white balance:
- Auto: For General Use, used for most light conditions
- Preset: You can choose from the following presets:
- 5300K: for shooting outdoors on a clear day, for sunset/sunrise, or fireworks
- 7500K: for shooting outdoors in the shadows on a clear day
- 6000K: for shooting outdoors on a cloudy day
- 3000K: for shooting under a tungsten light
- 4000K: for shooting under fluorescent lighting
- 5500K: for flash shooting
- Custom: Color temperature set in the custom white balance menu (between 2000K and 14000K)
- One-Touch: Color temperature set by the one-touch WB method of measuring the white balance on a white or gray object.
Sequential Shooting: In addition to shooting single frames, the E-P5 can also shoot images continuously at a high rate (about 9 frames per second) or a low rate (about 5 fps) when the shutter button is pressed and held down.
Self-Timer: The Self-Timer lets you take pictures after a preset amount of time. You can choose from 2 seconds, 12 seconds, or set the number of frames to be shot after the delay (custom).
Bulb Shooting: The E-P5 can take extra long exposures with bulb shooting. When the camera is set to Bulb, the shutter remains open as long as the shutter button stays pressed. Use of a tripod and the optional RM-UC1 remote shutter release is highly recommended for bulb shooting.
Flash Modes: The E-P5's built-in pop-up flash can be set manually as required. Flash modes include: Auto Flash, Fill-in Flash, Red-eye Reduction Flash, Slow synchronization (1st curtain), Slow sync + Red-eye Reduction, Slow synchronization (2nd curtain), Manual Flash, and Flash Off. In addition, the camera features a hot shoe for attaching an optional external flash. Optional flash units that can be used with the E-P5 include FL-14, FL-600R, and FL-300R. The SRF-11 Ring Flash, STF-22 Twin Flash, and FC-1 Macro Flash controller are other options.
Bracketing: To increase your chances of getting the perfect exposure in difficult shooting conditions, you can set the camera to take a number of photos at different exposure values for each frame. Frames are shot at optimum exposure, plus pictures adjusted in the opposite directions of exposure. You can perform bracketing in the following ways:
- AE Bracket: The camera varies the exposure of each shot. You can set the compensation value to 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV. Number of shots: 2, 3, 5, or 7.
- WB Bracket: Three frames are shot using different white balances; one at specified WB, one adjusted toward amber-blue color, and the other toward green-magenta. You can set the bracketing adjustments in 2, 4, or 6 steps.
- FL Bracket: Three frames are shot with different flash intensity. Compensation values can be set at 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV.
- ISO Bracket: Three images are taken, each with different ISO sensitivity, with shutter speed and aperture fixed. Compensation values can be set at 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV.
- ART Bracketing: The camera records multiple images, each with a different art filter setting.
- HDR Bracketing: The camera records multiple images, each with a different exposure suitable for HDR imaging.
Metering Modes: There are 5 ways to measure the subject brightness:
- Digital ESP: Camera measures light levels and calculates the differences in 324 separate areas of the image.
- Center-Weighted Average: Camera provides the average metering between the subject and background lighting, placing more weight on the subject in the center.
- Spot: Camera meters a very small area around the center of the subject.
- Spot with Highlight Control: If overall background is bright, the camera shifts toward over-exposure so white areas don't turn gray.
- Spot with Shadow Control: If overall background is dark, the camera shifts toward under-exposure so black areas don't turn gray.
Face Detection: The camera will detect people's faces in the frame and adjust the focus and metering automatically.
Multiple Exposures: The E-P5 can overlay multiple frames and save the result as a single image. You can overlay an image while taking a picture, or overlay a recorded image in playback mode.
Time Lapse Shooting: You can set the camera to shoot automatically with a set time lapse. Parameters that can be set include: Number of frames, Start waiting time, Interval time, and Time Lapse Movie.
Photo Playback: You can play back images one at a time, or in an index display of 4, 9, 25, or 100. You can also display images recorded on the memory card by date (calendar display). While in single image playback, the image can be magnified up to 14x for a closer look.
Playback On TV: The E-P5 allows you to play back your still images or movies on a TV. The camera has a micro-HDMI (Type D) connector for connecting to an HDTV. The multi-connector allows you to connect to a TV without an HDMI jack using the optional CB-AVC3 (composite video and mono audio). The video output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
HDMI Control: When HDMI Control is set to "On", the camera can be operated by a TV remote control when it is connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV must support HDMI control. During single-frame playback, you can display or hide the information display and the index display.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer, regardless of brand.
Power Options: The E-P5 is powered by the supplied BLN-1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.6 volts/1220mAh). The battery charges in approximately 4 hours in the supplied BCN-1 battery charger. The BLN-1 battery is good for approximately 330 shots on a single charge.
Olympus Viewer 3 Software: The E-P5 includes Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The software lets you do the following:
- Transfer images from the camera or removable media to your computer
- View images
- Group and organize images into albums and folders
- Correct images using filter and correction functions
- Edit images (rotate, trim, change image size)
- Print images using a variety of formats
- Update the camera firmware
- Develop RAW images
Compatible Operating System:
- Windows XP (SP2)
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Mac OS X v.10.5-v.10.8
USB Mass Storage Class: The E-P5 supports USB Mass Storage Class, allowing you to transfer images to a computer by connecting the camera to the computer with the USB cable. Transfer via USB is supported by Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Mac OS X v.10.3 or later.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.