Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The Olympus Stylus SH-1 features 5-axis image stabilization, so you can take crisp photos even when the camera is at full zoom.
Big zoom in a compact camera
The Olympus Stylus SH-1 offers a lot of zoom in a camera that fits easily in your palm. With a 16-megapixel sensor and 24X optical zoom, you can home in on a distant subject and shoot sharp, high-quality photos from far away.
The SH-1 also features advanced 5-axis optical image stabilization, so you can extend to the camera's full 24X optical zoom range and still get crisp, shake-free photos. That becomes even more valuable when you want to shoot quickly, using the camera's lightning-quick 11.5 frames per second to capture a subject in motion.
Make a connection
After you shoot a great photo with the Olympus SH-1, use the built-in Wi-Fi and the free Olympus Image Share app to share it online immediately. Your connection also allows you to use your smart device's GPS to tag each photo, so you remember exactly where you were when it was taken. Communication is a two-way street, too. The camera's Wi-Fi capability also means that you can control and operate the camera remotely from your mobile device, so you can step into the picture and smile with your friends.
It's a video wizard
The Olympus SH-1 shoots beautiful HD video, and it gives you creative control over the results. You can shoot high-speed footage and replay it in frame-by-frame super-slow motion, or create a time-lapse video that compresses up to five hours of action into a 20-second movie. If you see a great still image you'd like to snap a photo of, you don't have to stop shooting video — the SH-1 can do both at the same time.
- 16-megapixel effective recording with backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
- 24X optical zoom brings distant objects closer
- 5-axis image stabilization keeps your shots from blurring
- built-in Wi-Fi allows you to share photos instantly via smartphone or tablet
- use your smart device's GPS to tag photos with location information
- free Olympus Image Share app allows you to share photos instantly, and control your camera remotely from a smart device
- 3" (460,000-dot) LCD touchscreen helps frame and review shots in full color
- ISO (sensitivity) range: 125-6400
- built-in flash with red-eye reduction
- freeze a subject in motion with 11.5 frames per second in burst mode
- super macro mode lets you get close up and capture details
- face detection AF keeps sharp focus on features for portraits
- USB cable included for hard-wired photo and video transfer
- shoot up to 380 shots one a single battery charge
- 16 built-in scene modes, including Landscape, Night Scene and Sport
- 11 art filters, including Pop Art, Grainy Film and Sparkle
- records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards
- 4-3/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-11/16"D
- weight: 9.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Olympus Stylus SH-1 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Bought this for the wife for "shake" control... She loves it.
Pros: Easy operation
What's in the box?
- Digital Camera (black)
- LI-92B Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V 1350mAh 4.9Wh)
- F-2AC-1B AC adapter (5V 500mA)
- 27" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a proprietary USB on other end)
- Neck strap
- Stylus pen
- Olympus Setup CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-600mm|
|Internal Memory||37 MB|
|Effective Megapixel Count||16|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||9.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Olympus SH-1 is a sophisticated, but compact, point-and-shoot digital camera. It has a classic look with textured synthetic leather and brushed aluminum accents. The SH-1 has a 24x optical zoom, and a powerful 5-axis image stabilization system unlike any other found in a compact digital camera. The built-in Wi-Fi technology lets you view images and videos on your smartphone or tablet.
Optics: The SH-1 is equipped with a powerful 24x Olympus wide optical zoom lens. The lens has a focal length of 4.5-108mm, which is equivalent to 25-600mm in 35mm photography. The 24x optical zoom lets you get close to the action, while the 25mm wide angle lens allows you to capture wide landscapes and group pictures.
Touch Screen LCD Monitor: The camera is equipped with a 3.0" color LCD monitor with approximately 460,000 dots and a 3:2 aspect ratio. The SH-1 offers a 5-level monitor brightness adjustment in the menu. By touching the monitor you can perform several functions, including touch shutter release, touch live guide, AF area selection, frame advance/backward, enlargement playback, and touch super control panel.
Image Sensor: The Olympus SH-1 features a 1/2.3" BSI CMOS image sensor with approximately 16-million effective pixels. Combined with the new TruePic VII Image Processor, the SH-1 provides enhanced performance and operational speed.
5-Axis Image Stabilization: The 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization suppresses 5 types of movements for both still images and movies:
- Angular Blur: occurs during telephoto shooting
- Pitch: forward or rearward camera movement (along the horizontal X axis)
- Yaw: right and left camera movement (with respect to the vertical Y axis)
- Rotational Blur: clockwise or counterclockwise movement centered on the lens; occurs often on lightweight compact cameras that are held with a single hand
- Transitional Blur: camera moves vertically or horizontally, typically during macro shooting
Recording Media: The SH-1 records still images or movies onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory Cards, including Ultra High Speed UHS-I cards. In addition to SD cards, the camera will accept Eye-Fi cards. The SH-1 has a small internal memory of 37 MB that can be used to store some test shots. Still images are recorded in JPEG format. Movies are recorded in MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) with Linear PCM sound.
Built-in Wi-Fi: You can use the wireless LAN functions on the camera to share and transfer images wirelessly, and operate the camera remotely from a Wi-Fi-connected smartphone. The smartphone must be running the Olympus Image Share (OI.Share) application, available from Google Play for Android devices (version 2.3 and up) and from iTunes for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (iOS 5 or later). In addition, you can add location information to your images when using a smartphone with a GPS function. The wireless LAN function on the camera cannot be used to connect to a home or public access point.
Focusing Range: The focus range for the normal shooting mode is 3.6" to infinity for wide angle and 1.3' to infinity in telephoto. In the Super Macro mode, the range is 0.12" to infinity.
AF Illuminator: The camera has a built-in LED illuminator that assists in Auto Focusing, or illuminates a subject in shadows. It can be set to automatically illuminate when the shutter button is pressed halfway.
Flash: The camera's built-in flash operates in the following modes:
- Flash Auto: The flash fires automatically in low light or backlight conditions.
- Red-eye Reduction Flash: This emits pre-flashes for red-eye reduction.
- Fill-in Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
Self-Timer: You can take pictures of yourself using the 12-second built-in self timer. The 2-second self-timer also aids in preventing camera shake. You can also customize the self-timer by setting the number of frames, the delay time, and the interval time between shots.
Power Requirements: The SH-1 operates on the LI-92B rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (3.6-volts, 1350 mAh). The supplied F-2AC-1B battery charger can charge the battery in approximately 4.5 hours. A fully charged battery can provide enough power for approximately 380 shots or 108 minutes of continuous movie recording.
Still Images: The SH-1 can record still images in JPEG formats. Images can be recorded in three sizes in four aspect ratios (4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1) at Normal or Fine compression rates. Images can be recorded at the following resolutions:
|16M||4608 x 3456||4608 x 2592||4608 x 3072||3456 x 3456|
|8M||3200 x 2400||3200 x 1800||3216 x 2144||2400 x 2400|
|3M||1920 x 1440||1920 x 1080||1920 x 1280||1440 x 1440|
|VGA||640 x 480||640 x 360||624 x 416||480 x 480|
Movies: Full HD and HD movies can be recorded in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) in the following sizes/frame rates:
- 1920 x 1080/60p
- 1920 x 1080/30p
- 1280 x 720/30p
- 640 x 480/30p
- HS 640 x 480: High speed 120 fps
- HS 432 x 324: High speed 240 fps
Time Lapse Movie: The camera can generate a 20-second movie by shooting successive images at a set interval. In the menu, you can set the number of shots and the interval between shots. All still images are compiled into a time-lapse movie.
Shooting Modes: The camera's top-mounted Mode Dial lets you choose between several shooting modes:
- Program: The camera automatically sets shutter speed and aperture, but allows you to make changes to a wide range of other settings.
- Manual: The Manual mode lets you choose the aperture value, shutter speed, and the ISO sensitivity manually.
- Art Filter: Lets you choose from the following filter effects: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama, and Dramatic Tone.
- Scene: Lets you select from the following pre-programmed settings: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Interval Shooting, Night Scene, Night+Portrait, Sport, Indoor, Self-Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Documents, Beach & Snow, Super Macro, and Backlight HDR
- Hand-Held Starlight: Records night scene pictures with less camera shake can be taken without a tripod.
- Panorama: You can shoot and combine multiple images to create an image with a wide angle of view. You can choose from auto or manual.
- Photo Story: When shooting, an image is incorporated into a layout frame set to create a desired collage. You can choose from standard, speed, zoom in/out, or fun frames.
- iAuto: The camera automatically selects the optimal shooting mode for the scene.
Sequential Shooting: The camera can take one frame at a time, or a sequence of pictures at a time by holding down the shutter button. During sequential shooting, the focus, exposure, and white balance are fixed when the first frame is shot. You can choose from the following:
|Selection||Frames Per Second||Maximum # of Frames||Frame Resolution|
|Sequential 1||2.5 fps||200 images||16M|
|Sequential 2||11.5 fps||16 images||16M|
|High Speed 1||20 fps||60 images||3M|
|High Speed 2||60 fps||60 images||3M|
Sensitivity: The higher the ISO value, the greater the camera's light sensitivity and better its ability to shoot in low light. The SH-1 can automatically set the camera's sensitivity according to the conditions around the subject. A High ISO Auto setting can be selected to minimize blur caused by a moving subject or by camera shake. Manual settings include ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400 equivalents.
Exposure Compensation: In some situations, you may get better results by adjusting the exposure slightly using exposure compensation. You can adjust from -2.0 to + 2.0 EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Still Image Audio Recording: When activated, the camera's built-in microphone can be set to record four seconds of audio after the shutter button is released and the picture is taken. In the playback menu, you can add up to 4 seconds of audio to still pictures.
Image Playback: Once still images or movies have been captured, the camera gives you several options for playing them back:
- Manual Playback: View images manually one-by-one
- Slide Show: Play still images back as a slide show. You can choose to include one of five types of background music.
- Index View: For viewing multiple images at once, you can create an index display of 16 frames.
- Playback Zoom: In single-frame playback, you can zoom in on the photo up to 10x. Once you are zoomed in, you can move around the picture using the arrow buttons.
Outputs: The SH-1 is equipped with an HDMI Micro Connector (Type D) for connecting the camera to an HDMI-equipped HDTV. The output can be set to 1080p, 1080i, 720p, or 480p. If the connected HDTV is compatible with HDMI Control, you can set the camera to be controlled by the TV's remote control. The camera also has a proprietary multi-connector jack used as an audio/video output (with the optional CB-AVC3 cable) or a USB port (with the supplied USB cable). You can change the video output type from NTSC to PAL when connecting to a TV with the PAL system.
Editing Pictures: You can edit your photos using one of the following:
- Shadow Adjust: You can brighten areas that are dark due to backlighting of other reasons
- Redeye Fix: Red-eyes caused by flash shooting can be retouched.
- Cropping: You can zoom in using the cropping frame, and create a new image.
- Rotate: Lets you rotate the image from landscape to portrait or portrait to landscape orientation.
- Image Size: You can save a high-resolution image as a separate image with a smaller size to use in e-mail attachments or other applications.
- e-Portrait: Makes skin look smooth and translucent.
- Audio Record: You can record a 4 second audio clip for the image.
- Share Order: Using Wi-Fi, you can share images with a smartphone or tablet.
Erasing/Protecting Images: Unwanted images can be erased one at a time or all at once. You can protect important images to avoid accidentally erasing them. Once an image is protected, it cannot be erased during a single-frame erase or all-frame erase function. Protected images are erased when the memory is reformatted.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compliant printer. PictBridge is a standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Supplied Software: The SH-1 comes with Olympus Viewer 3 software on CD-ROM. The disc also includes a full Camera Instruction Manual. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8/8.1
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.9
Mass Storage Device: When the camera is used as a Mass Storage device, you can connect it to computers with a USB connection, running the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows 8/8.1
- Mac OS X v10.5-v10.9
Our Product Research Team
2 questions already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Olympus Stylus SH-1 is not classified as an intrinsically safe camera. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 28, 2015 ] Staff
This does come with a rechargeable battery, and it also includes an AC adapter to charge the battery. [ Jeff Feb 24, 2015 ] Staff