Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The compact Olympus WS-210 voice recorder lets you make audio notes to yourself, or record lectures and conferences just about anywhere. Choose from six different recording modes, ranging from high-resolution stereo for better sound quality, to low-resolution mono for hours of extended recording.
Recording and playback options
The WS-210's built-in microphones feature adjustable sensitivity to adapt to different recording conditions. A low cut filter minimizes the rumbling of air conditioners and machinery while you're recording. Choose the voice-activated recording mode for convenient hands-free operation. For playback, you can either use the recorder's built-in speaker, or plug in the supplied earbud headphones for more discreet listening. The Voice Filter function enhances voice quality by reducing high- and low-frequency noise during playback. And you can vary the speed of the playback, too great for transcribing.
Easy file maintenance
Transferring audio files to and from the WS-210 is simple. Pull off the battery pack off to reveal the recorder's USB plug, and insert it directly into your PC. Then just drag and drop files no special software necessary.
- battery-powered digital voice recorder
- 512 MB embedded memory holds up to
- 138 hours, 30 minutes of low-quality mono voice recordings
- 35 hours, 25 minutes of medium-quality stereo voice recordings
- 8 hours, 50 minutes of highest-quality stereo voice recordings
- records in WMA (Windows Media Audio) format
- stores up to five folders with up to 200 messages per folder
- backlit LCD display
- built-in speaker
- selectable voice activated recording
- six recording quality modes (three stereo, three mono)
- low cut filter minimizes low-frequency sounds during recording
- Voice Filter cuts out low and high frequency noise during playback
- slow and fast playback options
- high-speed USB interface (no cable needed)
- headphone minijack (earbud headphones included)
- external microphone minijack input
- up to 19 hours operation with included "AAA" battery
- weight: 1.7 oz.
- 1-1/2"W x 3-3/4"H x 7/16"D
- warranty: 60 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- OS X 10.2 or higher
- USB port (high-speed USB recommended)
- Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows VistaT
- USB port (high-speed USB recommended)
Olympus WS-210S Reviews
Average Customer Review:
We use one of these devices to record our church services. With its tremendous sensitivity, and stereo capabilities, it records a better copy that cab be burned to a CD than most sound systems I've come across.
Why Olympus discontinued it for a more expensive white version with the same features is a mystery to me, other than Olympus decided to get greedy!
Pros: Records stereo, easy to use, has USB port for was transfer to a computer, and is small enough to easily fit in anyone's pocket! Takes one AAA battery. CD copies of a digital recording from this unit are clear, as if an expensive sound system was involved!
Cons: I had to think about this for a long while! Then I decided the following: Being small, it's easily to misplace or lost. It's the best thing Olympus has ever done!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
It is very sensitive and picks up the sound of even the laptop keyboard next to it as well as the person speaking. The speaker on playback is not very good but using the earphones helps. If you have external speakers that can fit in the same jack as the earphones then you will love this device. Went from a tape recorder to this. Not bad. Just needs extra accessories to not have buyers remorse.
What's in the box?
- Portable 512MB WMA digital voice stereo recorder
- "AAA" battery
- Earbud-style headphones with attached 46" cord terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm male connector
- Instructions (English)
- Instructions (Spanish)
- Instructions (French)
- Online Registration card
Overview: The Olympus WS-210S Digital Voice Recorder allows you to record lectures, notes, and reminders in high-quality stereo sound. You can easily store and organize your files on the Olympus WS-210S, and transfer them to your PC with its USB Direct design. The WS-210S comes supplied with a pair of earbud-style headphones and operates off of a single "AAA" battery (included).
512MB Internal Flash Memory: The Olympus WS-210S Digital Voice Recorder features a built-in 512MB NAND Flash memory which allows up to 138 hours and 30 minutes of audio recording.
Audio Recording Format: The Olympus Digital Voice Recorder records audio in the WMA (Windows Media Audio) recording format.
Recording Modes: The WS-210S Digital Voice Recorder records in stereo and offers the following recording modes and recording times.
- Stereo XQ Mode (150-17,000 Hz): approximately 8 hours, 50 minutes
- Stereo HQ Mode (150-15,000 Hz): approximately 17 hours, 40 minutes
- Stereo SP Mode (150-9,000 Hz): approximately 35 hours, 25 minutes
- HQ Mode ( 150-13,000 Hz): approximately 35 hours, 25 minutes
- SP Mode (150-7,000 Hz): approximately 69 hours, 40 minutes
- LP Mode (150-3,000 Hz): approximately 138 hours, 30 minutes
USB Direct: The Olympus WS-210S features an integrated USB type-A plug for direct connection to your PC without the need for an additional USB cable. As a USB storage device, the WS-210S can store a variety of files in addition to audio files such as documents and image files. The WS-210S supports the following computer systems.
- Windows: IBM PC/AT compatible PC with Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista
- Macintosh: Power Mac G3 233 MHz class process or faster iMac/iBook/eMac/Power Mac/PowerBook with Mac OS x 10.2 or more
Note: Windows Media Player must be installed your Windows PC or Mac computer.
Built-In Stereo Microphones: The WS-210S Digital Voice Recorder features built-in stereo electret condenser microphone for clear stereo sound of your recorded personal notes, school lectures, or business-related meetings. Microphone sensitivity (High or Low) is adjustable to meet your recording needs. The unit also features a 3.5mm microphone jack for connecting an external microphone.
Variable Control Voice Activator (VCVA): This feature allows the Digital Voice Recorder to only record when sound is sensed by the unit. When the microphone sense that sounds have reached a preset threshold volume level, the built-ion Variable Control Actuator (VCVA) starts recording automatically and stops when the volume drops below the threshold level. The VCVA feature extends recording time and conserves memory by stopping recording during silent periods, which helps the playback to be more efficient.
Low Cut Filter: The unit's Low Cut Filter minimize low frequency sounds in the background such as an air condition or projector when recording to record voice more clearly.
File Organization: The WS-210S features five file folders (A/B/C/D/E), each holding up to 200 files, to provide exceptional organization. Up to 16 index marks can be set in each file. When index marks are placed, you can quickly find a location you want to listen to in fast forward and fast rewind and when cuing a file.
File Lock: Files can be locked to avoid important files from being accidentally erased.
LCD Display: The WS-210s features a backlit, monochrome LCD display which indicates recording and playback information. The LCD display's contrast can be adjusted in 12 levels.
Date and Time: The recorder features a built-in clock that displays date and time on the unit's LCD screen. If you have set the time and date, information as to when a sound file was recorded is stored automatically with that file.
Built-In Speaker and Headphones: The Olympus WS-210S features a built-in monaural 16mm round dynamic speaker and comes supplied with a pair of earbud-style stereo headphones for listening to your recorded audio. When the earphones are connected, the built-in speaker will not emit sound. The unit features a 3.5mm minijack input for connecting the headphones.
Voice Filter: The Voice Filter function enhances the human voice by cutting low and high frequency noises during normal, slow or fast playback.
Variable Speed Playback: The Olympus WS-210S offers slow and fast playback speed variations. The playback speed of the file can be changed between 0.5 and 1.5 times speed in increments of 0.125. Change the speed according to need such as listening to meeting content at a fast speed or reviewing spots that you could not catch in a language lesson at a slow speed. The tone will be automatically adjusted digitally without changing the voice so it sounds natural.
File Search: The recorder features Fast Forward and Rewind to locate audio files. The recorder pauses when it reaches to the end of the file during fast forwarding or fast rewinding. If there is an index mark in the middle of the file, the recorder will also stop at that location.
Power-Save Mode: If the recorder is stopped for 5 minutes or longer during recording or playing, it goes into Standby (Power-Save) mode, and the display shuts off. To exit Standby mode and turn on the display, you can press any button on the unit.
Battery Powered: The Digital Voice Recorder operates off a single "AAA" battery (included). The single "AAA" battery provides up to 19 hours of continuous operation. The unit supports Alkaline and Ni-MH rechargeable "AAA" batteries. The WS-210S provides the following continuous operation times base on record mode and battery type.
- Alkaline "AAA" Battery (supplied):
- Stereo XQ Mode: approximately 13 hours
- Stereo HQ Mode: approximately 14 hours
- Stereo SP Mode: approximately 15 hours
- HQ Mode: approximately 16 hours
- SP Mode: approximately 17 hours
- LP Mode: approximately 19 hours
- Ni-MH Rechargeable "AAA" Battery (optional):
- Stereo XQ Mode: approximately 11 hours
- Stereo HQ Mode: approximately 12 hours
- Stereo SP Mode: approximately 12 hours
- HQ Mode: approximately 14 hours
- SP Mode: approximately 14 hours
- LP Mode: approximately 16 hours