Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere.
That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team — they open the box,
verify contents, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs.
We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Compatibility: The Speedlite 90EX is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras and PowerShot G-series
cameras. It works will all E-TTL II and E-TTL autoflash systems. Its compact
size and lightweight design makes it ideal for the Canon EOS M digital camera.
Shoe Mount: The 90EX flash features a standard Canon EOS hot
shoe mount, and attaches to the intelligent shoe on the
top of your compatible Canon EOS or PowerShot G-series camera. Flash trigger, exposure
setting, and focal length (zoom) setting are transferred to the flash via the
Coverage: The flash has wide-angle coverage up to 15mm (24mm
in 35mm terms), enabling it to work perfectly with a number of popular
wide-angle zoom and fixed length lenses.
The firing direction of the flash is fixed. It cannot be angled in any
direction for bounce flash.
Pilot Lamp: The pilot lamp lights when the flash is ready to
Fully Automatic Flash Shooting:
When you set the camera's shooting mode to program AE or full auto, E-TTL
II/E-TTL fully automatic flash will make it as easy as normal AE shooting.
AF-Assist: When the camera's shutter release is pressed
halfway, the flash may fire repeatedly as the AF-Assist beam to facilitate
focusing in dark scenes. Its effective range is approximately 9.8'.
Wireless Flash: The Speedlite 90EX can be used as a master
transmitter to control multiple flash units wirelessly. Through 4 channel
optical light pulse transmission, the 90EX can control up to three groups of
slave-enabled flashes, controlling power from 8:1 to 1:8 in 1/2-stop increments.
Transmission range is approximately 16.4' indoors and 23' outdoors.
Camera Flash Control: When the 90EX is mounted to the EOS M
or an EOS
digital camera with external flash control, you can control the following
functions with the camera:
- Flash Firing: You can enable or disable the flash. When disabled,
you can still use the flash as an AF-assist beam.
- Flash Mode: You can set the flash for E-TTL II (automatic) or
- Shutter Sync: The flash can be set to the following sync types:
- 1st Curtain: Normal flash--flash fires when the shutter is
- 2nd Curtain: Flash fires right before the shutter closes
- High-Speed: Enables flash shooting at all shutter speeds,
effective when you want to use Aperture Priority for fill-flash
- Flash Exposure Compensation: You can adjust the flash output
level in the same way as normal exposure compensation.
- E-TTL II: You can select the following metering types:
- Evaluative: fully automatic flash shooting from dark scenes
- Average: metering averaged to the entire scene
- Wireless Function: Set to Optical Transmission or Off
- Optical Channel: 1, 2, 3, or 4
- Flash Group: All, A:B, A:B C
- Group Exposure Compensation: A, B, C
- Ratio Control: 8:1 to 1:8 (1/2-stop increments)
Batteries: The 90EX flash uses
2 AAA alkaline batteries. Using battery types other than Alkaline is not recommended
due to irregular shape of the battery contacts. Canon's testing with alkaline batteries yields a recycle time of
0.1 - 5.5 seconds and a flash count of 100 flashes or more.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the power will turn off
automatically after approximately 5 minutes
of idle operation. To turn the Speedlite back on again, press and hold the power
button for one second or more.
- Height: 1.547"
Weight: 1.8 oz. (without