Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Picture taking made fun
Taking photos of family and friends during a backyard barbeque doesn't have to be a chore. The Canon PowerShot A4000 is full of friendly, fun features that help you get those great photos you'll want to keep. From Smart Auto to face recognition, your portraits of the grill masters will be in-focus and flattering, and your action shots of the kids playing Frisbee will be sharp and full of detail.
The A4000 is slim and compact, so you'll have no trouble slipping it into your pocket and taking it with you everywhere. The 8X optical zoom will get you close to the action and make sure you don't miss a moment. The big 3" LCD makes it easy to frame your shots and share your best photos afterwards. And if you want to grab a quick video of the fun, just press the dedicated movie button and you can shoot an HD video clip.
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 8X optical zoom (4X digital/32X total zoom)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 3" LCD screen
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 28-224mm
- optical image stabilization
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- DIGIC 4 image processor for advanced face detection, red-eye correction, and better contrast in your photos
- face detection automatically sets focus, exposure, flash, and white balance for better portraits
- help button for answers to your photo questions and shooting advice
- 32 scene modes, including Beach, Snow, and Kids & Pets
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 3-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H x 15/16"D
- weight: 5.11 oz. (with batteries and memory card)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery (NB-11L)
- battery charger
- audio/video and USB cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM (PC and Mac®)
Today's point-and-shoot cameras make great pictures easier than ever
From baby's first steps, to that dream vacation in the islands, these cameras make it easy to capture life's greatest hits. Today's cameras have helpful automatic features, like face detection and scene recognition that make shooting more foolproof than ever. And they all have plenty of megapixels for detailed photos that stay sharp, even when you enlarge and print them.
Canon PowerShot A4000 IS Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Canon PowerShot A4000 IS
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great camera for the price.
Got this camera as a gift, and they really enjoyed its simple to use features and great picture quality.
Pros: Size and simplicity
cannon powershot A4000
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The camera is awesome!!! Takes great pictures and videos... I like that the video has sound you record and can listen to through the playback on camera... I got this for my mom and it is very easy to operate and change functions!!! She is going to LOVE IT!!!
Canon PowerShot A4000 IS
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Verry Advance Photo Tecnology
Canon A4000 PowerShot camera
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Have not had a chance to use the camera much, but is very easy to operate
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (blue)
- NB-11L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery pack (3.6V/680mAh/2.5Wh) with plastic terminal cover installed
- CB-2LD Battery charger (4.2V/0.41A)
- Wrist strap
- 50" USB cable (IFC-400PCU) with in-line noise filter with Type A USB on one end and Mini-USB 2.0 on the other end
- Digital Camera Solution Disk Ver. 105.0
- Getting Started booklet (English)
- Getting Started booklet (Spanish)
- Warranty card
- Canon Customer Support sheet
- Canon printer advertisement
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||28-224mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||16|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|HD Video Recording||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.11|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Canon PowerShot A4000 IS has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor, featuring 230,000 pixels with approximately 100% picture coverage. The Night Display feature automatically brightens the LCD monitor to suit the brightness of the subject, making it easier to frame the subject in dark conditions.
Image Sensor/Processor: The camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CCD image sensor with 16.6-million total pixels, and 16.0-million effective pixels. The A4000 uses the DIGIC 4 processor to give you clear photos with accurate colors and less noise.
Face Detection Technology: The camera's Face Detection Technology finds and tracks the faces of moving subjects until you're ready to shoot, then delivers perfect focus. In addition, exposure, flash, and white balance are compensated, so that faces exhibit natural skin tones and backgrounds are properly exposed.
Face Self-Timer: The Face Self-Timer automatically detects an increase in the number of faces, and makes the appropriate adjustments. When the Face Detection Self-Timer is set, the camera waits for the photographer's face to get on-camera before it takes the shot. The camera will shoot, two seconds after the new face is detected.
Optics: The A4000 IS has a 8x optical zoom lens with a 5-40mm focal length (35mm equivalent is 28-224mm).
Zoom: In addition to the 8x optical zoom, the camera features a 4x digital zoom. When used in combination, the total zoom is approximately 32x. The focal length when using the optical zoom and digital zoom together is approximately 28-896mm.
Recording Media: The camera records still images or movies with monaural audio on SD Memory Cards (2GB or less), SDHC Memory Cards (4GB to 32GB), and SDXC Memory Cards (32GB and higher). The camera does not have internal memory, nor does it include an SD card, so you will be required to obtain a memory card before recording.
Still Image Resolution/Compression: The A4000 IS can record still images in JPEG format in 5 different resolutions: Large (4608 x 3456), Medium 1 (3264 x 2448), Medium 2 (1600 x 1200), Small (640 x 480), and Widescreen (4608 x 2592).
Movies: Movies can be recorded in MOV format (Image data: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio data: Linear PCM 2 channel monaural) in High Definition at 1280 x 720 (25 fps). You can also shoot in Standard Definition at 640 x 480 pixels (30 fps). Recording will automatically stop when either the clip file size reaches 4 GB or the recording time reaches approximately 30 minutes. Other movie options include iFrame Movie and Miniature Effect.
Continuous Shooting Mode: You can use the continuous shooting mode to shoot successive frames while the shutter button is fully pressed. You can shoot continuously at approximately 0.8 image per second in Program Mode. In the Low Light mode, the rate increases to 2.8 shots per second.
AutoFocus Frame Modes: The camera utilizes TTL (through-the-lens) automatic focusing with two focusing methods:
- Face AiAF: The camera automatically detects the position of a face and uses the data to set the focus, exposure (evaluative metering only) and white balance (auto). When the camera is pointed at subjects, a white frame appears on the face the camera judges to be the main subject, and up to 2 gray frames will appear on other faces.
- Center: A single AF frame in the center of the frame is used.
AF-Point Zoom: You can magnify the AF frame and check the focus. In Face Detect mode, the face selected as the main subject will appear magnified in the monitor. In Center mode, the contents of the center AF frame will appear magnified.
Auto Focus Lock: If it becomes difficult to focus on the subject due to low contrast to the surroundings, close up and far away subjects in the same shot, or quickly moving subjects, you can choose to lock the focus or auto focus on an object at a similar distance, then shoot the picture after recomposing the shot.
Focusing Range: The camera features the following focus ranges (from the end of the lens):
- Auto: 0.4" to infinity (W), 3.3' to infinity (T)
- Normal: 2" to infinity (W), 3.3' to infinity (T)
- Macro: 0.4" to 1.6' (wide)
- Infinity: 9.8' to infinity (W/T)
Shooting Modes: You can switch between the following shooting modes: Smart Auto, Program, Live View Control, Portrait, Face Self-timer, Low Light, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Snow, Fireworks, Long Shutter, Discreet, and iFrame Movie.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Light Metering: used for standard conditions. The area within the frame is divided into several zones and light is measured based on subject position, brightness, direct light and backlighting.
- Center-Weighted Averaging: averages the exposure from the entire image, but places more weight on the subject at the center
- Spot: meters the area within the spot AE point at the center of the LCD monitor or viewfinder
Exposure Compensation: If you are shooting against a bright background or strong backlight, you may need to correct the exposure so that the subject doesn't come out too dark. You can set the adjustments from -2 to +2 in 1/3-step increments.
Locking the Exposure Setting (AE Lock): You can set the focus and exposure separately to shoot. When the exposure is set, you can lock the setting, then compose the scene and shoot. This is effective when the contrast is too strong between the subject and background, or when a subject is backlit. Flash Exposure Lock (FE Lock), just as with the AE lock, lets you lock the exposure for shooting with the flash.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom.
Flash Modes: The PowerShot A4000 IS has a built-in flash with a range of 1.6' to 9.8' in Wide Angle and 3.3' to 6.6' in Telephoto. You can select Auto (flash fires in low light), On (flash always fires), Slow Synchro, or Off (flash doesn't fire). In the menu, you can turn on the Red-Eye Reduction lamp for the flash, and apply Red-Eye Correction to the images that have been taken.
ISO Speed: The ISO speed can be set Automatically (ISO Auto), or manually to ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, or 1600. Lowering the ISO speed results in sharper images but there's a greater chance of subject or image blurring in certain shooting conditions. Raising the ISO speed results in a faster shutter speed, reducing blurred images. The images, however, will appear more coarse.
Special Effects: You can choose the look and feel of the photos you take by applying special effects to the image you are currently recording or have already recorded. Effects include: Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, and Shooting in Monochrome (Black & White, Sepia, or Blue & White).
Self-Timer: The A4000 IS utilizes a 10-second, 2-second, and a custom self-timer to allow the photographer to be included in the shot, or to avoid camera shake when using a tripod. The custom self-timer allows you to set the time delay to 1-15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds for up to 10 shots.
Slide Show: Images stored on a memory card can automatically be displayed one-by-one using the Slide Show function. You can set the playback time for each image, and the transition effects when switching between images. If desired, you can repeat the slide show automatically.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view 4, 9, 36, or 100 images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly. Movies cannot be played in the index playback mode. You can view the index display by pressing the zoom button toward wide angle while the camera is in playback mode.
Magnifying Images: Using the zoom button, you can magnify a photo up to 10x. Once zoomed in, you can use the "arrow" buttons to move around the displayed area.
Playback Displays: You can choose from three types of displays:
- Simple Information: screen includes basic information about the image
- Detailed Information: screen include a histogram display as well as detailed information about the settings used when the image was captured.
- No Information: screen includes only the image
Red-Eye Correction: You can correct red eyes in already recorded images. However, red eyes may not be automatically detected in some images such as faces near the screen edge, faces that appear extremely small, larger dark or bright in relation to the overall image and faces turned to the side or at a diagonal and faces with a portion hidden which prevents the Red-Eye Correction from working. You can choose to overwrite the file with the corrected image, or store the image as a new file, retaining the original image.
Resizing Images: You can save images a lower recording pixel setting than the original image, saving the resized image as a separate file.
Trimming: You can cut out a portion of a recorded image and save it as a new image file.
Protecting Images: The protect feature allows you to protect important images from accidental erasure. You can protect images by the image itself or select All Images.
PictBridge: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge-compatible printer of any brand. You can also connect the camera directly to certain Canon SELPHY compact photo printers and PIXMA inkjet photo printers. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without having to connect to a computer.
Power Requirements: The PowerShot A4000 IS is powered by the supplied NB-11L Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery pack (3.6 Volts / 680mAh / 2.5Wh). A fully charged battery pack can provide power for up to approximately 175 shots, 50 minutes of movie shooting time, or 4 hours of playback time. The NB-9L is charged in approximately 120 minutes in the supplied CB-2LD battery charger.
Date/Time Battery: The camera uses a backup battery for maintaining the date and time data for approximately 3 weeks. The backup battery charges in approximately 4 hours while a charged main battery (NB-11L) is inserted, or the camera is connected to an external AC adapter.
Power Saving Functions: The camera is equipped with the following power saving functions:
- Auto Power Down During Shooting: The screen will turn off approximately 1 minute after the camera is last operated. You can "wake" the camera at this point by pressing the shutter button halfway to turn on the screen and continue shooting. After about 2 more minutes, if no buttons are pressed, the lens will retract and the power will turn off.
- Auto Power Down During Playback: The camera power down approximately 5 minutes after the last control is accessed on the camera.
Note: The Power Saving Function will not activate during a Slide-Show or while the camera is connected to a computer.
A/V Out / Digital Terminal: The camera has a Mini-B Version 2.0 USB terminal to allow you to connect the camera to a compatible computer or compatible Canon printer via the supplied USB cable. This USB 2.0 Hi-Speed-compatible terminal allows you to rapidly download images to your computer or printer. You can also connect the camera to a TV (via composite video and monaural audio) using the optional AVC-DC400 A/V cable in the same terminal. The A/V output can be set to NTSC or PAL as needed.
Included Software: The PowerShot A4000 IS comes supplied with the Canon Digital Camera Solution Disk Version 105.0 CD-ROM. It contains the following programs:
- Canon Utilities:
- ImageBrowser EX 1.0: manage images transferred to a computer (view, edit, and print)
- CameraWindow DC 8.7: transfer images to and from camera, organize images on the camera, and upload movies on the camera to web services
- PhotoStitch 3.1 (Windows) / 3.2 (Mac): use to merge still images to make panoramas
- User Guides: Camera User Guide, Software Guide
Compatible Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (SP3)
- Mac OS X (v10.6)