Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Deep space traveler
Reach out across space to your subject with minimal distortion, even in low light. Canon's L series lenses are an industry gold standard, and this thoughtful update to the 300mm super telephoto has upped the ante on low-light performance. You can select a new image stabilization mode that kicks in only when the shutter button is fully depressed, giving the equivalent effect of a shutter speed four stops faster. This makes for responsive, professional action capture in challenging situations. Plus, magnesium-alloy/titanium construction lightens this model by 8% from its immediate predecessor, while increasing its overall robustness.
Of course, this lens has all of the precision optical technology you've come to expect from Canon. Fluorite elements and sophisticated new coatings provide for great dirt and oil resistance with a minimum of ghosting and chromatic aberration.
Created for the professional
Weather resistant and outfitted with full-time manual focus, this lens is an ideal tool for the shooter on the move. A nine-bladed circular iris, at wide aperture, helps create smooth background blurs that make your foreground subject pop. This medium-range telephoto will be the "go-to" lens for any action photographer.
- EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II telephoto lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 300mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 390mm with APS-H sensor cameras
- 480mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- three Optical Image Stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1 provides optimum performance with stationary subjects
- Mode 2 provides a smoother view through the finder when panning moving subjects
- Mode 3 prevents stabilizer over-compensation and interference with framing of distant or fast-moving subjects by activating only when the shutter button is fully pressed
- two fluorite elements deliver sharper images with less chromatic aberration
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- magnesium and titanium construction for lighter weight and durability
- dust-proof and water-resistant design
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 6.58 feet
- lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
- rear holder accepts drop-in 52mm filters (optional adapter required to accept standard 52mm screw-in filters)
- lens is 9 3/4" long, 5 1/16" in diameter
- weight: 5.31 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- tripod mounting foot
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- carrying case
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens Reviews
Preliminary info from the manufacturer
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens is a high-performance super-telephoto lens for use with Canon EOS cameras. The lens features a built-in Image Stabilizer (IS), as well as an Ultrasonic Motor (USM). The lens is constructed of 16 elements (including Ultra-low Dispersion UD glass, fluorite, and aspherical elements) in 12 groups for truly exceptional imaging capability.
Focus Modes: The EF300 lens is equipped with a three-way switch for setting the Focus Mode. You can choose from AF (auto focus), PF (power focus), or MF (manual focus). In Manual Focus mode, you can focus on your subject by turning the focus ring. The Power Focus mode allows you to change the focus at a set speed--a useful feature for changing focus when shooting movies.
Focus Preset: By presetting any focusing distance, you can instantly focus at that point even while you are shooting a different subject. The Focus Preset switch on the side of the lens barrel lets you turn the feature on or off, while the Set button is for setting the preset focus distance.
Image Stabilizer II (IS II): The new built-in Image Stabilizer II can be used in the AF (autofocus), PF (power focus), or MF (manual focus) modes. The Image Stabilizer gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed four stops faster. Two switches located on the barrel of the lens allow you to turn the image stabilizer on and off, and switch between the three stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1: used for normal photography; corrects vibrations in all directions
- Mode 2: corrects vertical camera shake during following shots in a horizontal direction; also corrects horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.
- Mode 3: corrects vibration only during exposure. During panning shots, corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction (the same as Mode 2).
Ultrasonic Motor (USM): The EF300mm lens is equipped with a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for silent, high-speed auto focusing.
Focusing Ring: Regardless of whether you're in manual or auto focus mode, the focusing ring always works. This means you can auto focus on a subject, but manually change the focus by turning the focusing ring.
Focus Range Switch: You can switch between two focusing ranges using the three-way switch on the barrel of the lens. You can choose from Full, a range of 2-6 meters (6.6-19.7') to infinity, or a range of 6 meters (19.7') to infinity. Depending on your subject matter, the correct choice of focus range can reduce the auto focusing time.
Lens Hood/Tripod Mount: The included ET-120 lens hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the lens from rain, snow, and dust. You can reverse-mount the lens hood on the lens for storage. The tripod mount allows you to mount the camera onto a tripod by the lens instead of the camera body. The orientation locking knob can be loosened to allow you to quickly change between vertical and horizontal positions.
Optional Lens Extenders: The lens is compatible with EF1.4x II/III and EF2x II/III lens extenders (sold separately). The extenders will increase the focal length to 420mm (EF1.4x) and 600mm (EF2x).
Optional Filters: The EF300mm lens has a built-in 52-series (WII) drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter. An optional Drop-in Screw-type Filter Holder and a Drop-in Circular Polarizing Filter are sold separately.
- Focal Length: 300mm
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Focus Distance: 6.6 feet
- Angle of View:
- Diagonal: 8° 15'
- Vertical: 4° 35'
- Horizontal: 6° 50'
- Dimensions: 5" Diameter, 9.8" Length, 82.9 Ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.