Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
This is how it's done
You've probably spent a good bit of time looking at nature magazines and television shows and marveling at the pictures pro wildlife photographers bring home. The vast majority of these images are shot with sophisticated, extremely long lenses, like this Canon L series EF-500mm super telephoto. Sure, you could get up close to a pack of hungry lions for that once-in-a-lifetime shot, but that would probably place the emphasis on the word once. Why take the hard way? When it comes to the challenge of getting crisp, artifact-free photos in the wild, or on the playing field, there's no substitute for the technology, superb optics, and ergonomic experience that Canon brings to bear with this elegant long lens.
Innovation breeds image quality
A lens this long needs some significant image stabilization for best results, and Canon answers the call with three modes. Mode 3 is particularly useful as it seeks to stabilize the image only when the shutter is fully depressed. It eliminates the hunt and seek behavior of some of the continuous modes, thereby optimizing results during unpredictable action. The lens features a power focus mode that adjusts at a smooth, constant speed particularly useful for shooting video. And, being an L Series lens, it boasts many fine optical innovations that Canon is famous for: Fluorite and UD lens elements, to minimize distortion and color fringing. Subwavelength and fluorine coatings, to reduce ghosting, flaring, and lens contaminants. Near-silent USM auto-focus.
If you're seriously considering lenses like these, you're probably experienced enough to know these models are made to take daily, professional use — and that they deliver daily, professional results. The L Series represents a marriage of aesthetics, ergonomics, and technology that's sure to up your game. Not to mention save you from being thrown to the lions.
- EF 500mm f/4L IS USM II super telephoto lens
- compatible with Canon EOS film and digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 500mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 650mm with APS-H sensor cameras
- 800mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Canon pro-quality L Series lens for superior image sharpness and durability
- Image Stabilization II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- three Optical Image Stabilizer modes:
- Mode 1 provides optimum performance with stationary subjects
- Mode 2 provides a smoother view through the finder when panning moving subjects
- Mode 3 prevents stabilizer over-compensation and interference with framing of distant or fast-moving subjects by activating only when the shutter button is fully pressed
- two fluorite elements deliver sharper images with less chromatic aberration
- ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) for fast, silent autofocus
- magnesium and titanium construction for lighter weight and durability
- dust-proof and water-resistant design
- available full-time manual focusing
- minimum focus distance: 12.1 feet
- lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
- rear holder accepts drop-in 52mm filters (optional adapter required to accept standard 52mm screw-in filters)
- lens is 15-1/8" long, 5-3/4" in diameter
- weight: 7.03 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- tripod mounting foot
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- carrying case (500B)
Canon EF-500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This lens is petty close to perfection. Its truly amazing. It is a feat of perfect design and engineering. After using it for a while you will understand why it costs so much money. It focuses with lightning speed and produces ultra sharp images with surreal contrast.
Cons: the only con is the price. but after you use it for a while you may start to feel its worth the big price tag