Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon's extraordinary EOS 5D Mark II answers the needs of professional photographers and experienced enthusiasts alike. This thoughtfully designed digital SLR camera offers precise control over virtually every aspect of shooting to help you achieve your artistic vision. It combines a powerful full-frame CMOS sensor with Canon's most sophisticated image processor to deliver stunningly detailed 21.1-megapixel photos. It's also the first full-frame SLR to record widescreen video clips in high definition. Plus, you get compatibility with over 60 Canon EF-series lenses and an extensive lineup of EOS system accessories for outstanding photographic flexibility.
Self-cleaning full-frame sensor
At the heart of this Canon's exceptional picture performance is an advanced, full-frame 21.1-megapixel CMOS image sensor. "Full-frame" means it has the same dimensions as a frame of 35mm film on a traditional SLR, which is much larger in physical size than sensors found in most digital cameras. All that extra surface area has several benefits: superior light gathering, lower noise levels, and extraordinary resolution. You'll get cleaner images with breathtaking depth and clarity, even in challenging low-light shooting conditions. With so much available picture detail, you can heavily crop your photographs and still produce sharp, poster-size prints. An integrated cleaning system ensures your images remain spot-free by using ultrasonic vibration to remove dust particles from the sensor.
Get the "wide-angle" advantage
Fans of wide-angle photography will also love the 5D Mark II's full-frame sensor design. Unlike cameras with smaller sensors, a full-frame camera produces the same picture area (or angle of view) with your lenses as a 35mm film camera. That means your favorite Canon EF lens will be able to capture the entire scene before it, instead of just a portion of the image in the center of the picture. Plus, full-frame cameras such as this Canon offer exceptionally big, bright viewfinder images for easier framing and focusing.
High-res 3" LCD with live view modes
The 5D Mark II's high-resolution 3" LCD screen provides a crystal-clear window for evaluating your shots and sharing pictures or movie clips with friends. It also boasts live view modes that let you compose photos on-screen in real time — just like you would with a point-and-shoot cam. Canon even included a Face Detection autofocus mode that makes it easy to take sharp, in-focus portraits. Plus, you can connect the camera directly to your compatible HDTV with an optional mini HDMI cable to play your still shots and videos back in gorgeous detail.
Fast and flexible shooting
Canon's advanced DIGIC 4 image processor makes it possible to continuously snap 3.9 full-resolution frames per second for capturing up to 78 JPEG or 13 RAW (uncompressed) images in a row. Save your images to optional CompactFlash® memory cards (no memory included). Photo storage options include three different sized RAW modes (great for serious image editing on your PC), JPEG, or RAW+JPEG mode. Use the RAW+JPEG mode to simultaneously record a high-resolution RAW image for editing, plus a JPEG image for convenient direct photo printing or e-mailing. Comprehensive software supplied with the camera lets you fine-tune and efficiently manage your images as well as convert them from RAW to JPEG.
Built to last
Canon wraps all this versatile technology in a strong magnesium alloy body with rubberized grip surfaces. Additional environmental sealing of the 5D Mark II's body provides enhanced protection against dust and moisture. The result is a camera that's rugged, solidly built, and surprisingly easy to hold. With the 5D in hand, you'll enjoy beautiful images with more than enough detail for almost any application.
- 21.1-megapixel effective recording
- full-frame CMOS image sensor (36 x 24mm)
- compatible with Canon EF lenses (does not support EF-S lenses)
- high-definition movie mode with 1920 x 1080 resolution at 30 frames per second
- linear PCM audio recording with built-in monaural microphone (minijack input for optional external stereo microphone)
- high-res 3" color LCD screen (920,000 dots) with automatic brightness adjustment
- Live View modes (with Face Detection, Quick, and Live autofocus, plus manual focus with 5X or 10X magnification) for composing shots with the LCD screen
- eye-level pentaprism viewfinder with diopter adjustment
- optional interchangeable focusing screens
- top-mounted LCD panel with backlighting displays camera and exposure settings
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System (for cleaning image sensor)
- DIGIC 4 image processor for responsive handling and accurate color reproduction
- 14-bit A/D conversion for outstanding color tones and gradations
- Auto Lighting Optimizer automatically adjusts image brightness and contrast to prevent underexposure
- Peripheral Illumination Correction works with compatible Canon EF lenses to maintain even corner to corner lighting levels in JPEG images
- hot shoe for Canon EX-series Speedlite flash accessories (no flash included)
- compatible with Canon EE-TTL II flash exposure control systems
- 9-point autofocus
- JPEG image size options (pixels): 5616 x 3744; 4080 x 2720; 2784 x 1856
- RAW image size options (pixels): 5616 x 3744; 3861 x 2574; 2784 x 1856
- movie size options (pixels): 1920 x 1080 in 16:9 mode; 640 x 480 in 4:3 mode
- image file formats: JPEG, RAW, RAW+JPEG, sRAW (small RAW), and Quicktime MOV for video (MPEG-4)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-6400 (in 1/3- or 1-stop increments)
- expanded high and low sensitivity settings available down to 50 ISO or up to 25,600 ISO
- shutter speed range: 1/8000 to 30 seconds, flash synch at 1/200 second
- continuous high-speed shooting at 3.9 frames per second for up to 78 frames in JPEG Large/Fine (up to 310 frames using UDMA CF cards) or 13 frames in RAW
- 3 custom camera user presets for storing preferred shooting modes, menus, and custom function settings
- CompactFlash® card slot (Type I and II, UDMA), (no CompactFlash card included; must be purchased separately)
- mini HDMI output (type C connector, cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- NTSC/PAL video output
- 6-1/8"W x 4-9/16"H x 3-3/16"D (camera body)
- weight (with battery): 31.4 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lithium ion rechargeable battery (LP-E6)
- AC battery charger
- audio/video and USB cables
- neck strap
- body cap
- software CD-ROMs (PC & Mac)
Develop your photography hobby
You don't have to be an expert photographer to use an SLR they all offer easy automatic shooting. Because of their build quality and the physics of good glass and large sensors, even their built-in automatic settings will get you better pictures than most point-and-shoots or mobile devices. But experienced photographers and budding hobbyists can get more creative by manually adjusting settings like aperture and shutter speed. SLRs let you expand your shooting options with additional lenses and flashes to suit just about any situation. If you'd like to record the occasional video, look for a model with high-def movie mode.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (no lens included) Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
This camera is a steal for its current price. I use it with 3 Canon "L" series lenses and the results I get are incredible. The photos that come out of this camera have so much more depth than an APS-C model. I was intimidated by upgrading to the 5D MK II, but find it very easy to use. The 5D isn't as ergonomically contoured as Canon's recently released DSLRs but it's plenty lightweight and comfortable to carry around all day. For landscape and portrait photography I find this to be the best balance of image quality and overall capability for the price. If you don't already own the 24-105 f/4L lens, I recommend buying the kit because this lens is a good pairing for this camera.
Pros: Image quality, build quality, price
Cons: Hard to complain about anything considering how happy I am with this camera.
Canon 5D markII
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
I have been shooting (mostly landscapes) with a Canon T1i since that model first came out and have purchased several lens since. Though satisfied, I wanted to step up to a full frame sensor. The 5D mark II has more than lived up to my expectations.
Pros: Picture definition/resolution Value Sturdiness
Cons: Coninious shooting slow
It is worth having one
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
I wanted a full frame camera for landscapes and this camera delivers it beautifully, getting more into your frame. Also another great advantage is a very good image with little noise after cropping the original due to high resolution 21MP. It is very easy to use it, maybe because I already used 7D. I hope that the future 5D will incorporate the 7D's AF mechanism and the viewfinder grid. Overall, in this price range, this camera is a great one considering the full frame and the high quality pictures it delivers when L lenses are mounted to it.
Pros: The image given by a full frame
Cons: It misses the 7D AF mechanism and the viewfinder grid. Hope to see these features in the next 5D
Absolutely perfect, almost....
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The camera has a great pedigree, it brings the full frame benefits within the
reach (or purchasing power) of serious amateurs. If only the AF mechanism is as
good as in 7D, it would be a 5-star in my rating. I hold myself short of it since,
unlike professionals, I already over extended to buy this camera and I would
have like to perform a bit better under all conditions (fast moving objects, low
light etc). Also, ergonomics (buttons, dials, etc) can be better as well. Gripes
apart, I can really find anything negative to say. On the contrary, the colors,
contrast, resolution, handling, are superb! Of course, I am dedicated Canon
shooter and you can expect this from me.
Caveat: After upgrading to this, you will start drifting towards fast primes rather
than general purpose zooms including the L series ones!
All in all, both thumbs (since I have only two) up!
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Body only)
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Canon EOS 5D Mark II is an excellent semi-profesional camera with almost endless possibilities It is limited to user knowkedge of the camera settings. Based on my review of tthe camera, it is an excellent value for the advanced and professional photographers.
It takes time to get aquinted with all the features offered, however when master all the features shooting pictures or movies became a joy.
Great product with an exceptional quality ready for all of us to be used.
Best photos I've ever taken
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Tons of features, and fortunately they're not too complicated to learn -- even for a neophyte such as myself.
My only quibble is that I've owned the camera for 2 months and I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the camera focused while recording video.
Best camera for the price
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Canon 5D Mark II is one of the best digital full frame camera's on the market. I had the old Canon 5D and loved it. But with the new features in this camera it was impossible to pass up. I high 6400 ISO is simply amazing! Not to mention the 1080 video. You could actually film a movie with this camera and it would be hard to notice the difference between high end digital movie cameras that cost thousands more! Still discovering other great things like better battery life, better cleaning functions, menus, the list goes on and on. I imagine this is will be my only camera for the next 5-7 years!!
Crutchfield was amazing too. Great customer experience!
Full Frame Rocks!!!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The Canon 5D Mark II is unbelievable. The focusing and the screen is much
better than my Rebel XTi that I upgraded from. It is so nice to use a 50mm
lens as a normal lens because this is a full frame camera. Having spot
metering now is really sweet and the menu layout is very nice.
The ISO range is awesome and I have not even used the ISO extension
yet. I used the 6400 ISO which was very sweet, taking low light pictures in
some skits during a Vacation Bible School at my church. Auto ISO setting is
great too so the camera will choose ISO if you would prefer. The
customization features are nice so you can figure out how you like to do
black and white landscape daylight photos (for example) and then store
this settings in one of the 3 registries.
I did not buy this camera for video but it seems to work quite well for me.
As for Crutchfield, they were absolutely amazing. One of the best customer
service experiences I've ever had. I chose to buy an Open Box model to
save some more $$ and when it came on a Friday there was a problem
with it that hadn't been caught by one of their teams I guess. In any case,
they had a new one shipped out on Monday (which is the same day I
mailed back the defective one) and so I had my replacement new camera
with 3 business days. Unbelievable service that can be trusted!!!!!!!!
Canon EOS 5D Mark II (no lens included)
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is a fantastic camera. The images at 3200 and higher iso are amazing....there were no noises. The HD movie recording is pretty cool. With the right lenses the mkII produces. It's well worth the wait.
What's in the box?
- Digital SLR camera body
- 1 Body cap
- LP-E6 Lithium-ion battery pack (7.2V/1800mAh) with plastic cover
- LC-E6 battery charger
- 6.5' USB cable with in-line ferrite core (has a USB Type-A connector on one end and a Mini-USB Type-B connector on the other end)
- 59" Audio/Video cable with a composite video and stereo RCA connectors on one end and a male 3.5mm connector on other end
- Neck strap
- EOS Digital Solution Disk ver.19.1 CD-ROM
- Software Instruction Manual CD-ROM
- Essential Products and Solutions CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- Pocket Guide (English)
- Pocket Guide (Spanish)
- CD-ROM Guide
- Movie Playback instructions
- Limited Warranty card
- PIXMA brochure
- "Try My Photo" brochure
- USB Cable caution sheet
- Bar-code sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||N/A|
CompactFlash Type I/II+Microdrive
|Effective Megapixel Count||21.1|
|Highest Resolution||5616 x 3744|
|HD Video Recording||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||31.4|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Body Only: This package includes the Canon EOS 5D Mark II digital SLR camera body only and does not include a lens.
Rugged Exterior Body: The EOS 5D Mark II's exterior is constructed with lightweight and ultra-rigid magnesium-alloy that fits perfectly in your hand.
Viewfinder: The Canon EOS 5D Mark II uses an eye-level pentaprism viewfinder with 0.71x magnification for approximately 98% vertical and horizontal coverage. It has a diopter adjustment so you can focus the viewfinder to suit your eyesight (with or without eyeglasses). When using the self-timer or remote control, when your eye does not cover the viewfinder eyepiece, stray light may enter the eyepiece and affect the exposure when the image is captured. To prevent this, you can use the supplied eyepiece cover, attached to the neck strap, to cover the eyepiece.
Clear View LCD Monitor: The EOS 5D Mark II features a 3" Clear View TFT color LCD monitor with approximately 920,000 dots which allows you to view and shoot real-time images. The LCD monitor offers 100% viewing coverage and 7 brightness levels to choose from. The LCD monitor's anti-reflection and water-repellant coating provides a clearer and more smudge-resistant surface and a light sensor mounted below the screen enables automatic brightness adjustment in accordance with ambient light.
Live View: The Live View Function enables shooting your still subjects directly on the camera's 3" LCD monitor. The EOS 5D Mark II's Live View Function also makes videos in Full High-Definition. You can access a number of Auto Focusing modes including Quick Mode, Live Mode, and Face Detection Live Mode. The camera allows you to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focusing. In addition, you can choose from three preset image brightness modes - Stills display, Exposure simulation, and Movie display. Exposure simulation displays and simulates how the brightness of the actual image will look. Live View also offers a Silent Shooting mode, which allows you to shoot a single frame, or continuously at approximately 3 frames per second at a quieter level than normal.
21.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor: The EOS 5D Mark II features a huge, full-frame sensor. A 21.1-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers images of up to 5616 x 3744 pixels. And since it is full-frame, all lenses will deliver the angle of view they would on a 35mm camera without a conversion factor. This comes in handy especially when shooting with wide-angle lenses. For the flexibility to shoot in even the most dimly lit situations, the EOS 5D Mark II offers Canon's highest ISO sensitivity to date, ranging from 100-6400 (expandable to ISO L: 50, H1: 12800 and H2: 25600). Thanks to improved noise reduction technologies, images shot even at highest sensitivity will be remarkably smooth.
HD Video Shooting: The EOS 5D Mark II is the first digital EOS to offer recording of Full HD video in Live View Mode. Capable of shooting clips almost half an hour long at full 1080 resolution, the EOS 5D Mark II makes it possible to shoot broadcast quality video on your camera by simply changing settings. Your Canon EOS high-speed lenses and shooting accessories can be used in shooting video. You can also take a still photo at anytime by pressing the shutter button completely during movie recording.
DIGIC 4 Image Processor: The EOS 5D Mark II's sensor is backed up by Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, which speeds up all operations making a number of new features possible. Processor intensive operations like Face Detection Live mode, HD video recording and lighting and lens peripheral optimization are all possible thanks to the DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Developed to maximize performance between capturing and recording stages of digital photography, Canon's DIGIC 4 chips use advanced signal processing technologies to enhance captures from Canon's CMOS sensors. Sophisticated processing algorithms help to speed up all operations, including write times to UDMA cards
14-Bit A/D Conversion: The EOS 5D Mark II also offers full 14-bit A/D conversion. The analog output from the image sensor is converted into a digital signal via 14-bit conversion instead of the previously used 12-bit conversion, resulting in significantly finer tonal gradation for better prints.
Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction: Canon's exclusive Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction takes into account any light falloff in the corners of the frame and corrects it, making for a perfectly exposed image. Correction data are detected automatically on a number of Canon lenses and can be entered manually through included Canon EOS Utility software.
EOS Integrated Cleaning System: Canon's Integrated Cleaning system includes a cleaning unit designed specifically for the EOS 5D Mark II's full-frame CMOS sensor. The camera's low-pass filter even has a new fluorine coating upon its surface to help repel dust. Dust that makes it past the EOS 5D Mark II's sensor cleaning system is easily removed in post processing using DPP software's Dust Detection Delete function, which can remove dust spots automatically from single or multiple image files.
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit: A key element of minimizing dust is preventing it from clinging to the front surface of the imaging sensor. To combat against this, the EOS 5D Mark II features a Canon-designed Self Cleaning Sensor Unit. The low-pass filter at the front of the sensor shakes off dust automatically with ultrasonic vibrations. The EOS 5D Mark II also has a coating on the front surface of the low-pass filter to increase its resistance to dust sticking to the sensor.
- Dust Delete Data Detection: Dust that may still remain on the front of the sensor can also be erased with software included in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Version 3.3 or later software. A simple test shot of a plain, white object can be taken, using a menu setting. This Dust Delete Data image is analyzed in-camera, and the location and size of any remaining dust is subtracted from any subsequent pictures taken. This data is transmitted along with the image, whether JPEG or RAW, and can be either manually or automatically erased in Canon's DPP software. This added software option ensures the cleanest possible image, perfect for printing or archiving.
Note: Dust which could not be removed by the automatic sensor cleaning can be removed manually with an optional blower.
Recording Media: The EOS 5D Mark II records images on a Type I or Type II CompactFlash Card. The camera is also compatible with Ultra-DMA (UDMA) CF cards.
Note: No recording media is supplied with the camera.
Image Recording Format: The camera records 3:2 still images in JPEG and RAW (14-bit) formats. Simultaneous RAW+JPEG recording is also possible. In addition, the camera can record video with monaural audio in the MOV format (Video: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM).
- JPEG Image Resolution/Compression: You can choose from the following JPEG resolutions: Large (5616 x 3744 pixels), Medium (4080 x 2720 pixels), and Small (2784 x 1856 pixels). For each resolution, you can set the compression to Fine or Normal.
- RAW and sRAW File Format: The RAW file format records the image data as captured by the camera CMOS sensor without further processing and converts it to digital data and records it onto the card as is. RAW images can be adjusted, then developed and produced into JPEG or TIFF images using the provided software. You can choose from the following RAW resolutions: RAW (5616 x 3744), sRAW1 (3861 x 2574), or sRAW2 (2784 x 1856). You can also record a Large/Fine JPEG image along with a RAW or sRAW image simultaneously.
- MOV Format (Video: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM): The EOS 5D Mark II supports up to 1920 x 1080 in HD (high definition) mode and 640 x 480 in SD (standard definition) mode. The camera can record up to 12 minutes of continuous HD video or 24 minutes of continuous SD video using an optional 4GB CF card.
Note: Video recording is only available in Live View Mode using the camera's LCD monitor.
Shutter Unit: The EOS 5D Mark II has a rugged shutter designed to withstand 150,000 exposures. Combined with its impressive build quality, this new shutter ensures that the EOS 5D Mark II will thrive in challenging shooting environments.
Drive Modes: The Canon EOS 5D Mark II offers the following Drive (Shutter) modes.
- Single Shooting: When you press the shutter button completely, on shot will be taken.
- Continuous Shooting: While you press the shutter button completely, shot will be taken continuously. The camera is capable of capturing 3.9 shots per second.
- Self-Timer: The camera will record an image 2 or 10 seconds after pressing the shutter button.
9-Point + 6-Assist Point Autofocus System: The EOS 5D Mark II has a sophisticated AF system consisting of 9 user-selectable AF points, along with a total of 6 additional vertical and horizontal AF assist points. The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal lines at f/5.6. The AF system is also sensitive to its light source, and can compensate for focus errors that can occur when multiple sources illuminate a scene. AF points can be chosen by the photographer using the 5D's multi-controller or preferred control dial. Plus, the EOS 5D features a dedicated AF ON button.
AF Modes: The camera employs one of 3 AF systems to let you seize every photo opportunity with fast, accurate focus:
- One-Shot AF: suited for still subjects, the camera focuses only once.
- AI Servo AF: for moving subjects when the focusing distance keeps changing. The subject will be focused continuously while the shutter button is pressed halfway.
- AI Focus AF: switches from One-Shot AF to AI Servo AF automatically if the subject starts moving.
- Manual Point: Manual selection enables you to select one of the nine AF points.
Shooting Modes: The EOS 5D Mark II offers 12 different shooting modes arranged in the following zones:
- Full Auto: the camera automatically selects the settings
- Program AE: this is a general-purpose shooting mode, the camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness
- Shutter-priority AE: in this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject
- Aperture-priority AE: in this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness
- Manual Exposure: in this mode, you set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments.
Auto Exposure Bracketing: With auto exposure bracketing (AEB), the camera automatically changes the exposure level up to +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments for three successive shots.
AE Lock: AE lock enables you to lock the exposure at a different place from the point of focus. After locking the exposure, you can recompose the shot while maintaining the desired exposure level. This feature is useful for backlit and spotlighted subjects.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: the camera's standard metering mode suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions, after detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc, the camera sets the proper exposure
- Partial Metering: effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc, uses approximately 8% of the frame at the center
- Spot Metering: for metering a specific part of the subject, uses approximately 3.5% of the frame at the center
- Center-weighted Average Metering: metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene
ISO Speed: The camera's ISO speed can be set between 100 and 6400 in 1/3-stop increments to suit your shooting conditions. The camera also features a Low ISO setting equivalent to ISO 50 and two High ISO settings equivalent to 12,800 and 25,600. In addition the camera features an Auto ISO setting which allows the camera to automatically set the ISO speed from 100 to 3200.
Picture Style: By selecting a picture style you can achieve various effects matching your photographic expression or the subject. You can also adjust the Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation and Color tone of each Picture Style. Picture Style selections include:
- Standard: image looks vivid, sharp, and crisp
- Portrait: for nice skin tones, the image looks slightly sharp and crisp, color tone can be adjusted to change skin tone
- Landscape: vivid blues and greens, very sharp and crisp image
- Neutral: natural colors and subdued images, no sharpness applied. (recommended for users who prefer to process images on their PC)
- Faithful: when the subject is photographed under a color temperature of 5200 K, the color is adjusted colorimetrically to match the subject's color, no sharpness applied.(recommended for users who prefer to process images on their PC)
- Monochrome: for black and white images; you can adjust the filter effect of the monochrome setting to Black&White, Yellow, Orange, Red, or Green.
- User Defined 1-3: you can register your own Picture Style settings for Portrait and Landscape modes.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings:
- Auto: the camera sets the white balance automatically according to shooting conditions, color temperature: 3000-7000 K
- Daylight: for recording outdoors on a bright day, color temperature: 5200 K
- Shade: counters strong blue tones in open shade on sunny days, color temperature: 7000 K
- Cloudy/Twilight/Sunset: for cloudy days, dusk and dawn, color temperature: 6000 K
- Tungsten Light: for incandescent illumination, color temperature: 3200 K
- White Fluorescent Light: eliminates typical green color casts, color temperature: 4000 K
- Flash Use: a starting point for studio strobes and Canon Speedlites, color temperature: 6000 K
- Custom: enables you to manually set the white balance for a specific light source for better accuracy. By selecting this image, you import the white balance data for the setting, color temperature: 2000-10000 K
- Other WB Settings:
- Color Temperature: manually set color temperature from 2500-10000 K in 100 K increments
- White Balance Correction: You can correct the standard color temperature for the white balance setting. It has the same effect as using a color temperature conversion filter or a color compensating filter. Each color can be corrected to one of nine levels.
- White Balance Auto Bracketing: With just one shot, three images having a different color tone can be recorded simultaneously. Based on the current white balance mode's standard color temperature, the white balance setting can be changed from 0 to +/-3 stops in whole-stop increments.
Color Space: The color space refers to the range of reproducible colors. With this camera, you can set the color space for captured images to sRGB or Adobe RGB. For normal images, sRGB is recommended. In the Basic Zone modes, sRGB will be set automatically.
Bulb Exposures: When bulb is set, the shutter is open during the time you keep pressing the shutter button fully. Bulb is useful when a long exposure is necessary for capturing night scenes, fireworks, the night sky, etc.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
Mirror Lockup: The Mirror Lockup feature helps prevent camera vibration when using a super telephoto lens or shooting close-ups.
Multi-Language: The camera's menus system supports 25 different languages including English, French and Spanish.
EF Lens Compatibility: The EOS 5D Mark II is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Special optical technologies, such as Aspherical, ultra-low dispersion, or fluorite elements are featured in the universally acclaimed L-series lenses. And Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology is featured in select lenses to minimize the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS 5D Mark II.
EX Speedlite Compatible: The EOS 5D Mark II features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. With any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. With E-TTL II, the exact same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light is also used for flash metering - giving even finer metering command of the image area. If you prefer a broader area for flash metering, there's a menu setting to change to "Average" flash metering - where the entire 35-zone area is measured evenly for flash exposure.
Wi-Fi Compatible: The optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4A was made for the EOS 5D Mark II. It's compatible with Wi-Fi Protected Setup to connect easily to a wireless LAN access point for secure image transfer. Sending a batch of photos wirelessly is easy with the WFT-E4A as images can be stored in selected folders and the entire folder can be transferred at once. It retains the same features as the WFT-E3A including great handling for vertical shooting and wireless transmission (802.11b or g) to Macintosh or Windows computers for distances of up to 492 ft. (150m).
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to off (not displayed), 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor until the camera is focused again.
Slide Show: You can view all images on the Compact Flash Card one after another with the Auto Playback function (slide show). You can choose which recorded images will be displayed in the slide show by selecting All images, Folder, Date, Movies, or Stills.
Index Display: This feature allows you to view four or nine images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly.
Jump Playback: During playback you can jump to images 1, 10 or 100 images at a time. You can also jump screens when in index mode, jump folders, or jump images by shooting date.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10x. While the image is magnified, you can scroll anywhere around the image.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
Protect Images: You can select specific images from being erased accidentally.
Video/HDMI Outputs: With the supplied video cable, you can playback images from the camera on a TV (NTSC or PAL). There is also a mini-HDMI jack which allows you to connect the camera to an HDTV. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable, such as 158VMC15MH or 119HDMICAM, is required.
Print Effects: The digital SLR camera allows you to choose from the following Print Effects.
- On: image will be printed according to the printer's standard colors
- Off: no automatic correction will be performed
- Vivid: image will be printed with higher saturation to produce more vivid blues and greens
- NR: image noise is reduced before printing
- B/W: prints in black-and-white with true blacks
- B/W Cool: prints in black-and-white with cool, bluish blacks
- B/W Warm: prints in black-and-white with warm, yellowish blacks
- Natural: prints the image in the actual colors and contrast
- Natural M: printing characteristics are the same as the "Natural" setting, however this setting enable finer printing adjustments
- Default: printing will differ depending on the printer
Brightness: The image brightness can be adjusted within the camera before printing.
Red-Eye Correction: The red eye phenomenon will be corrected within the camera before printing.
Trimming: You can crop an image and print only the trimmed portion as if the image was recomposed.
Direct Print Function: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a CP-series printer that supports the Direct Print function. You can also connect the camera directly to certain Canon Bubble Jet printers. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without connecting a computer.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The Canon EOS 5D Mark II conforms to Exif Print, a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with Exif Print are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
DPOF Print Settings: On the CompactFlash Card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
Power Options: The EOS 5D Mark II operates on the supplied LP-E6 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V/1800 mAh). The battery can be charged in the supplied LC-E6 battery charger in approximately 150 minutes. You can use AA batteries in the optional BG-E6 battery grip. The supplied battery performance specs are as follows:
23° C/73° F
|Approx. 850 shots||Approx. 200 shots|
|0° C/32° F||Approx. 750 shots||Approx. 180 shots|
Optional AC Power: With the optional ACK-E6 AC adapter kit, you can connect the camera to a household power outlet and not worry about the battery becoming exhausted.
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the camera turns off automatically after a period of non-operation. The Auto Power Off time can be set to 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, 15 minutes, or 30 minutes.
Note: The Auto Power Off function will not activate in Auto Playback Mode.
Supplied Software: The EOS 5D Mark II comes bundled with the EOS Digital Solution Disc Ver.19.1, which includes:
- ZoomBrowserEX Ver.6.2 (Windows)/ImageBrowser Ver.6.2 (Macintosh): ZoomBrowser EX (Version 6.2) for Windows and ImageBrowser (Version 6.2) for Mac OS X are the easy, user-friendly options for viewing and editing of JPEG and even RAW image files. Both allow viewing of numerous types of images including finished TIFF and BMP files. Both also have a variety of search options for finding images, allow re-naming of single images or batches of files, and offer a variety of options for printing without using a separate image-editing program. processing, and printing (you can also edit JPEG images while retaining the original images).
- PhotoStitch Ver.3.2: PhotoStitch Ver.3.2 merges images together vertically or horizontally to make large panoramic images.
- Picture Style Editor Ver.1.4: Canon's Picture Style Editor enables photographers to create custom Picture Style profiles that can be used to customize the appearance of JPEG and RAW images captured with EOS Digital SLR cameras. Picture Style files created with Picture Style Editor can be loaded into the EOS cameras that support Picture Style and may also be used when processing RAW images in Canon software applications Digital Photo Professional, ZoomBrowser EX (for Windows) and ImageBrowser (for Mac).
- EOS Utility Ver.2.5: EOS Utility (Version 2.5) for Macintosh or Windows handles the connection between the camera and computer, whenever they're connected via USB. It allows remote controlled shooting from the computer, handles downloading of images from the camera to the computer, and allows seamless linking to either Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, it's used to upload settings back into a USB-connected camera.
|OS||Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
Windows XP Pro/Home (Service Pack 2, 3)
|Mac OS X 10.3 or higher|
|Computer||PC with one of the above OS preinstalled||Macintosh with one of the above OS preinstalled|
Still Image Capacity:
|Image Size||Image Quality||Number of Images
2 GB card
Number of Images
2 GB CF card
|Standard CF||UDMA CF|
|21.1 M (5616 x 3744)||Fine||310||78||310|
|11.1 M (4080 x 2720)||Fine||510||330||510|
|5.2 M (2784 x 1856)||Fine||910||910||910|
(5616 x 3744)
(3861 x 2574)
(2784 x 1856)
|RAW (5616 x 3744)
JPEG (5616 x 3744)
|RAW + JPEG (Fine)||57||8||8|
|sRAW1 (3861 x 2574) +
JPEG (5616 x 3744)
|RAW + JPEG (Fine)||89||8||8|
|sRAW2 (2784 x 1856) +
JPEG (5616 x 3744)
|RAW + JPEG (Fine)||110||8||8|
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.