Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The rugged Canon GP-E2 GPS receiver module gives location information and geo-tagging capabilities to compatible Canon DSLRs, particularly the Canon EOS 1D X, the EOS 5D Mark III, and the EOS 7D. Find pictures in an instant by where they were taken, or use the location information to better manage your photo and video library. Unit tracks latitude, longitude, altitude, direction and time. Can be used as a stand-alone GPS recorder/electronic compass. The EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 7D require a firmware upgrade to be compatible with the GP-E2, which will be available soon on the Canon website.
- mounts on camera hot shoe
- gathers positioning data for geo-tagging your images
- aids you in quickly locating and organizing your pictures and video
- stores latitude, longitude, altitude, direction and time information
- compatible with the Canon EOS 1D X, the EOS 5D Mark III, and the EOS 7D
- the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 7D require a firmware upgrade to be compatible with the GP-E2
- the Canon 7D will not offer the following features: geotagging movies while recording; electronic compass information and automatic time setting; and information transmission via the hot shoe
- supplied accessories: storage case, carrying case, two connector cables, software/manual CD-ROM
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Canon GP-E2 Reviews
What's in the box?
- GP-E2 GPS receiver for Canon DSLR cameras
- Carrying case
- Storage pouch
- 10.75" Connecting cable
- 5' Connecting cable
- GPS Receiver Solution Disc Ver.1.0 CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (multiple languages)
- Canon Limited Warranty sheet
- European Warranty System (EWS)
- Regions of Use and Restrictions for the GP-E1/GP-E2
Overview: The Canon GP-E2 is a GPS Receiver unit that is designed for use with select Canon EOS digital SLR cameras. It mounts to the camera's hot shoe, or onto an optional accessory bracket. The GP-E2 records location information, such as longitude, latitude, elevation, direction, and time data for attaching to your photos and videos. The GP-E2 comes with a carrying case, and a storage pouch.
Compatibility: The GP-E2 is compatible with the following Canon DSLRs:
- EOS 5D Mark III
- EOS 6D
- EOS 7D
- EOS 1D X
Note: GPS capabilities and connection requirements differ between the models. You should check the capability of your camera, and download the latest available firmware before connecting the GP-E2.
About GPS Signals: The GP-E2 receives signals from numerous satellites orbiting the earth. The more satellites whose signals are being received, the higher the accuracy of the positioning information provided. To acquire GPS signals, the receiver should be used outdoors where the sky is unobstructed. Signal acquisition takes about 30-60 seconds under favorable conditions after turning the receiver on. You should also use care not to cover the top of the receiver with your hand or other objects.
Time Settings: The GP-E2 receives Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) data from the overhead satellites. This allows you to set the time on the camera with accuracy of approximately +/- 1 second on most of the compatible cameras. The EOS-1D X performs high-precision adjustment with a margin of error of approximately +/- 0.02 seconds. The time setting feature only works on those cameras that display GPS Device Settings in the menu, and Auto Time Setting is enabled. An LED on top of the receiver indicates the quality of the signal being received.
Digital Compass: When the receiver is attached to or connected to a camera, or mounted on a bracket, images are tagged with the direction the receiver is facing. You can view the compass on the display while you are shooting. This feature only works on those cameras that display GPS Device Settings in the menu, and only when the Digital Compass feature is enabled. For best accuracy, the compass calibration procedure must first be performed.
GPS Logger: With the power switch set to "Log," the unit will automatically record location information along the route traveled on the receiver itself, on or off the camera. You can even wear the GP-E2 on your belt for logging purposes, using the supplied carrying case. The recorded location information can be viewed on a virtual map. The logs can also be used to geotag images at a later time. The data is recorded at regular intervals: every 1 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 2 mins, or 5 mins. The number of days for which you can store logs depends upon the interval you specify--from 4.5 days (updates every second) to 128 days (updates every 30 seconds to 5 minutes).
Mounting and Connection: In most cases, the GP-E2 mounts to the EOS camera's hot shoe. An accessory bracket (AB-E1) can be used to mount the unit to one side, if desired. Two connecting cables (10" and 5' long) are provided to connect the GP-E2 to the camera's USB port. The included carrying case has openings that allow the unit to be connected to the camera even if it isn't physically mounted.
Power Requirements: The GP-E2 operates on a single "AA" battery. The receiver can be used for about 39 hours under the default settings with a new "AA" alkaline battery. Battery life will likely be shorter depending upon the positioning interval for location information, as well as GPS signal conditions. Ni-MH and Li-Ion "AA" batteries can also be used. An LED near the power switch indicates the battery level.
GPS Receiver Solution Disk: Included with the GP-E2 is the GPS Receiver Solution Disk Ver.1.0., which includes the following applications:
- Map Utility 1.3: This software uses location information recorded by the receiver to show shooting locations, shooting directions, and routes traveled with the receiver on a virtualy map. Untagged images can be geotagged with the above information. When the camera is connected to a computer, you can change the positioning interval and delete logs.
- ImageBrowser EX 1.0: ImageBrowser EX can update map utility.
Operating Systems: The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1)
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.7