Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Canon's versatile Rebel XS makes capturing crisp, dynamic images easier than ever, even for digital SLR novices. This nimble cam's fully automatic operation lets you start snapping great-looking photos right away. Plus, you get the full manual control and focusing capabilities that SLRs are famous for, to help you explore your creative side. The XS offers plenty of picture-taking refinements, too, including a high-speed Canon image processor for fast shooting and superior image quality, and an extra-bright 2-1/2" LCD monitor with "live view" modes for composing your shots directly on-screen.
Advanced, self-cleaning CMOS image sensor
The Rebel's 10.1-megapixel image sensor gives you more than enough resolution for cropping, enlarging, and printing photos at large sizes, while retaining fine picture detail. It also employs high-sensitivity, low-noise CMOS technology to deliver pristine images with minimal grain. And this sensor is self-cleaning it uses ultrasonic vibrations to remove dust particles that can cause spots on your photos.
Enjoy sharp, blur-free images
A 7-point wide-area autofocus system delivers fast, accurate focusing for crisp shots, even in dim lighting. And the XS's sharp Canon 18-55mm image-stabilizing zoom lens gives you crystal-clear, blur-free photos under all kinds of shooting conditions. Capture your images on optional SD memory cards no memory included.
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording
- APS-C-size CMOS image sensor (22.2 x 14.8 mm)
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 28-90mm)
- 3X optical zoom (approximate)
- compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses
- 2-1/2" color LCD screen (230K pixels) with two Live View modes
- Auto Lighting Optimizer to maintain detail in bright and dark areas of your pictures
- DIGIC III image processor for responsive handling
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System (for cleaning image sensor)
- image size options: 3888 x 2592; 2816 x 1880; 1936 x 1288
- image file formats: JPEG, RAW, RAW+JPEG
- continuous shooting mode: 3 frames per second (up to 514 large/Fine JPEG, 5 RAW, or 4 RAW+JPEG frames)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-1600
- shutter speed range: 1/4000 to 30 seconds (1/3- and 1/2-stop increments), flash sync at 1/200 second
- preset shooting modes, including Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, plus 3 custom camera user settings
- custom white balance settings
- 7-point wide-area autofocus
- auto exposure
- built-in pop-up flash
- hot shoe for Canon EX-series Speedlite flash accessories
- accepts standard Secure Digital® memory cards and SD High Capacity (SDHC) cards 4GB and greater (no memory card included; must be purchased separately)
- PictBridge capability
- high-speed USB interface
- NTSC/PAL video output
- 5"W x 3-15/16"H x 5-1/4"D (with lens)
- weight (body only): 15.9 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Canon image stabilizing 18-55mm zoom lens
- AC battery charger
- lithium ion rechargeable battery (LP-E5)
- video cable
- USB cable
- neck strap
- software CD-ROMs (PC & Mac)
Develop your photography hobby
You don't have to be an expert photographer to use an SLR they all offer easy automatic shooting. Because of their build quality and the physics of good glass and large sensors, even their built-in automatic settings will get you better pictures than most point-and-shoots or mobile devices. But experienced photographers and budding hobbyists can get more creative by manually adjusting settings like aperture and shutter speed. SLRs let you expand your shooting options with additional lenses and flashes to suit just about any situation. If you'd like to record the occasional video, look for a model with high-def movie mode.
Canon EOS Rebel XS Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review:
i'm in love <3
Ease of Use
i love canon products, so getting this was a great addition. i'm still learning how to really use this camera, but as i learn more, i get more pleased! i got it for cheaper than this price on this website, but what you have right there is a good price for a great camera! if you have the option to get one with video, i would get the t3 for 20 more dollars. its worth it! but get canon, its amazing!!!
Pros: the way it takes clear, crisp pictures
Cons: love everything
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I spent months researching cameras and am so happy I went with this one. As a mom of two young kids I wanted a camera that could capture all of the special "in between" moments that I kept missing b/c of the delay on my old point and shoot. I also wanted the ability to experiment with my own creativity so I wanted some advanced functions...but not too many b/c let's be honest as a mom of two kids I really don't have a lot of time to spend being creative with photos. This camera has met and even exceeded all of my expectations. From auto to manual I've had a lot of fun using this camera. The picture quality is exceptional and there are enough additional features to keep me busy experimenting for quite some time. It's just what I wanted!
Just an amazing camera...
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I have been waiting a long time for Canon to ship this camera. Very impressive, and very powerful. The IS built into the lenses is just incredible, and the images that this model produces (Both RAW and JPG) are flawless. I really can't think of anything negative to say! Additionally, I highly recommend getting this camera from Crutchfield... just a superb experience.
Thank you Canon... Thank you Crutchfield!
What's in the box?
- Black digital camera body with body cap installed
- EF-S 18-55mm lens with rear lens cap and front lens cap installed
- LP-E5 Lithium-ion battery pack (7.4V/1080mAh) with plastic cover
- LC-E5 battery charger
- 47" USB cable with in-line ferrite core (has a USB Type A connector on one end and a Mini USB Version 2.0 connector on the other end)
- 57" Video cable with in-line noise filter (RCA composite video connector on one end and a minijack on the other)
- Neck strap
- Eyepiece cover (attached to neck strap)
- EOS Digital Solution Disk CD-ROM ver 18.1
- Software Instruction Manual CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spanish)
- CD-ROM Guide (English/Spanish/French)
- Pocket Guide (English)
- Pocket Guide (Spanish)
- Camera warranty card
- Lens warranty card
- USB Cable caution sheet
- Booklet on using Image Stabilizer lenses
- Macro photos made easy booklet
- Online Product Registation card
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.5"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||18.55mm|
|Effective Megapixel Count||10.1|
|Highest Resolution||3888 x 2592|
|HD Video Recording||No|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||24.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The EOS Rebel XS has a bright 2.5-inch TFT LCD monitor with 230,000 dots and a viewing angle of 170°. It's great for Live View composition or viewing camera settings like AF, ISO, Metering, AF Point selection and flash options. And the maximum brightness of the EOS Rebel XS LCD monitor is about 30% greater than its predecessor, which is a big benefit when you're using the camera in bright sunlight.
Live View Function: Live View Function enables you to view your subjects directly on the camera's 2.5-inch LCD monitor. It's easy to magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. There are two ways to use Autofocus along with Live View Function in the EOS Rebel XS. You can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the studio, Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the EOS Rebel XS's USB connection.
Viewfinder: The EOS Digital Rebel XS uses an eye-level pentamirror viewfinder with a dioptric adjustment knob that has a 95% vertical/horizontal viewing coverage. By adjusting the diopter to suit your eyesight (with or without eyeglasses), the viewfinder image will look clearer. During self-timer or remote control operation when your eye does not cover the viewfinder eyepiece, stray light may enter the eyepiece and affect the exposure when the image is captured.
10.1 Megapixel APS-C Size CMOS Sensor: Canon's large-area CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and offers the most pixels in its class. This APS-C size sensor (22.2 x 14.8mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length. With an effective pixel resolution of 3888 x 2592, the EOS Digital Rebel XS offers superb detail and clarity. On Canon's CMOS sensor, each pixel is captured with fine detail to create images of tremendous depth and resolution, ensuring enough information for even poster-sized prints. Natural color reproduction is obtained with an RGB color filter and a hybrid, infrared low-pass filter with three layers. The on-chip microlenses with efficient light convergence and improved noise reduction technology enable a wide ISO speed range. Even long exposures have low noise.
Automatic Sensor Cleaning: When you turn the camera's power switch on or off, the self cleaning sensor unit operates to automatically remove dust adhering to the imaging sensor. You can manually activate this feature as well.
Dust Delete Data Detection: Dust that has been missed by the Integrated Self Cleaning Sensor Unit can also be erased with software included in Digital Photo Professional (DPP) Version 2.2. The Digital Rebel XS's imaging sensor is able to single out the dust particles on its surface, then plots out their location coordinates within the image. This data is transmitted along with the image, whether JPEG or RAW, and can be either manually or automatically erased in Canon's DPP 2.2. This added software option ensures the cleanest possible image, perfect for printing or archiving.
12-Bit A/D Converter: With the EOS Rebel XS, analog to digital signal conversion is executed by a 12-bit processor, which generates digital data with smooth tones. The 12-bit conversion gives smooth transitions from light to dark colors, with far less risk of "banding." With this 12-bit gradation, the EOS Rebel XS offers RAW images of high quality that can be processed with Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. Even JPEG files, which are always finished at 8-bits per channel, use the full 12-bit conversion initially to generate the best possible color and tonal detail. Another huge benefit of the 12-bit conversion is the Highlight Tone Priority option, which allows critical shooters to increase the level of detail in bright areas of a scene up to one stop, without affecting overall exposure.
DIGIC III Image Processor: Developed to maximize performance between the capture and recording stages of digital photography, the EOS Rebel XS's latest-generation DIGIC III Image Processor works in concert with Canon's CMOS sensor to achieve even higher levels of performance. The entire electronic system is totally redesigned, giving the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality. Digital noise is significantly reduced in shadow areas, and color reproduction is superior.
Auto Lighting Optimization: The EOS Rebel XS's Auto Lighting Optimization is another image-quality tool that helps in tricky lighting conditions. It can actually lighten dark areas of a scene while ensuring that bright areas maintain tonal detail. It's now available in all shooting modes, including P, Tv, Av, and Manual.
Included Lens: The EOS Digital Rebel XS comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The EF-S lens uses an Aspheric lens element and consists of 9 groups and 11 elements. It can be set to manual or autofocus and features manual zoom and manual focus rings. The EF-S lens also features a built-in image stabilizer that can be used in either AF or MF mode and can be turned on or off. The EF-S lens is equivalent to 28.8-88mm lens in 35mm film format.
Optional EF & EF-S Lenses: The EOS Digital Rebel XS is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses, and including Canon's EF-S series lenses, manufactured specifically for Canon's APS-C sized digital sensor.
Speedy Operation: The EOS Rebel XS operates with effortless speed due to its instant startup time, speedy autofocus and minimal shutter lag. It can shoot up to 3.0 frames per second, in bursts of 514 JPEGs or 5 RAW files, so you'll never, ever miss a shot.
Recording Media: The EOS Digital Rebel XS records JPEG and RAW still images on SD or SDHC memory cards. No memory card is supplied with the camera.
Image Recording Format: The camera records still images in JPEG and RAW (12bit) formats. The RAW file format records the image data as captured by the camera CMOS sensor without further processing. RAW images are compressed, but the compression is reversible so that a high-quality image can be obtained from the decompressed file without any loss of image quality. Whenever you use the EOS Digital Rebel XS, you can choose to have it record RAW files or JPEG files alone, or you can record a RAW file and a JPEG file simultaneously.
Note: To print RAW files, you will not be able to use the direct to printer feature. You will have to use a computer
Image Resolution/Compression: You can choose from the following resolution settings.
|Image Size||Image Recording Quality||Possible Maximum Shots With 2GB SD Card||Possible Maximum Burst Shots with 2GB SD Card|
3888 x 2592
|Fine (3.8MB)||514 images||514 images|
|Normal (2.0MB)||982 images||982 images|
2816 x 1880
|Fine (2.3 MB)||859 images||859 images|
|Normal (1.2MB)||1630 images||1630 images|
1936 x 1288
|Fine (1.3MB)||1474 images||1474 images|
|Normal (0.7MB)||2816 images||2816 images|
3888 x 2592
|RAW (9.8MB)||199 images||5 images|
RAW + JPEG (Large):
3888 x 2592 + 388 x 2592
|9.8MB + 3.8MB||143 images||4 images|
Continuous Shooting Mode: During continuous shooting mode, the camera stores approximately 3.0 images per second. The maximum burst during continuous recording depends on the image recording quality:
Self-Timer: The self timer can be used in any mode, and allows you to take self portraits by delaying by 10 seconds when the shot is taken. You can select 2-seconds when using the optional wired or wireless remote.
Optional Remote Control: Using the optional RS-60E3 wired remote switch (2 ft cable) or the RC-1/RC-5 wireless remote controller (maximum distance 16.4 ft), you can shoot images without having to touch the camera. This helps reduce camera shake. You can set up the RC-1 to shoot immediately or have a 2 sec delay. The RC-5 will take the shot with a 2 sec. delay.
7-point Autofocus System: The EOS Digital Rebel XS has high-precision 7-point AF system for speedy and accurate focusing in any situation. You can easily choose your own point of focus or direct the camera to choose it automatically. You can even use predictive AF to ensure that moving subjects stay focused while you compose your shot. With a built-in dioptric adjustment mechanism and a new precision matte screen, achieving sharp focus is fast and easy with the Digital Rebel XS, no matter where or when you're taking pictures.
Focus Modes: You can change the focus mode to suit different subjects such as groups, animals, and sports. You can select from the following options:
- One-shot AF: Ideal for still subjects and snapshots. The camera will focus only once.
- AI Servo AF: takes effect when subject is moving. as long as you keep aiming the AF point on the subject while pressing the shutter button halfway, the focusing will be continuous.
- AI Focus AF: This is for subjects moving unpredictably, such as animals. The camera will focus in the same way as One-shot AF. Then if the subject starts to more, the camera switched to AL servo AF and focuses continuously.
- Manual Focus: Manual focus is recommended for precise focusing.
Shooting Modes: The EOS Digital Rebel XS offers the following different shooting modes.
- Basic Zone: With Basic
Zone modes, all you do is point and shoot and the camera sets everything
- Full Auto: the camera automatically selects the settings
- Portrait: blurs the background to make the human subject stand out
- Landscape: this mode is for wide scenic views, night scenes, etc.
- Close-up: use this mode to take close-up shots of flowers, insects, etc.
- Sports: for fast-moving subjects when you want to freeze the action
- Night Portrait: this mode is for images of people at twilight or at night
- Flash Off: disables the flash
Zone: In the Program AE Zone mode, you can set various functions
manually and be more creative.
- Program AE: this is a general-purpose shooting mode. The camera automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to suit the scene's brightness. The shutter is adjustable from 30 to 1/4000 seconds.
- Shutter-priority AE (Tv): in this mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperture value to suit the brightness of the subject
- Aperture-priority AE (Av): in this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to suit the subject brightness
- Manual Exposure: in this mode, you set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired
- Automatic Depth-of-field AE: this mode is for obtaining a wide depth of field automatically between a near subject and far subject
ISO Speed: When shooting in Basic Zone modes, ISO speed is automatically set between 100 and 800 to suit the shooting conditions. In Creative Zone modes, ISO speed may be set manually through the LCD screen menu to 100, 200, 400, 800, or 1600.
AF-Assist Beam: Under low-light conditions, the built-in flash fires a brief burst of flashes when you press the shutter button halfway. This is to illuminate the subject to enable easier autofocusing. In the program mode, the shutter speed (1/60 - 1/200 sec) will be set automatically to prevent camera shake.
Built-In Flash: The camera features a built-in flash for indoor, low light, or backlit conditions. The Flash Exposure will be set automatically to match the aperture that was set. The flash sync speed can be set to bulb or from 30 seconds to 1/200 seconds.
Red-Eye Reduction: This feature can be used in any shooting mode and uses the red-eye reduction lamp before taking a flash picture to reduce the red-eye effect.
Bulb Exposures: When bulb is set, the shutter is open during the time you keep pressing the shutter button fully. Bulb is useful when a long exposure is necessary for capturing night scenes, fireworks, the night sky, etc.
FE (Flash Exposure) Lock: FE lock obtains and locks the correct flash exposure reading for any part of a subject.
Accessory Hot Shoe: The EOS Digital Rebel XS has an accessory hot shoe where you add additional flashes. Canon EX-series Speedlites offer professional-quality illumination for virtually any subject, and the EOS Digital Rebel XS is compatible with the entire line (580EX, 420EX, 430EX and 220EX), plus Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX and Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX for close-ups. You can also link several flashes to fire together wirelessly, with the optional Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2.
Metering Modes: You can select from the following metering modes:
- Evaluative Metering: This is the camera's standard metering mode suited for most subjects even under backlit conditions. After detecting the main subject's position, brightness, background, front and back lighting conditions, etc., the camera sets the proper exposure.
- Partial Metering: This is particularly effective when the background is much brighter than the subject due to backlighting, etc. This method uses a center area of approximately 9% of the screen.
- Center-weighted Average Metering: The metering is weighted at the center and then averaged for the entire scene.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments.
Auto Exposure Bracketing: With auto exposure bracketing (AEB), the camera automatically changes the exposure level up to +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments for three successive shots, and allows you to choose which one you want.
AE Lock: AE lock enables you to lock the exposure at a different place from the point of focus. After locking the exposure, you can recompose the shot while maintaining the desired exposure level. This feature is useful for backlit and spotlighted subjects.
White Balance: You can choose from the following white balance settings:
- Custom: with custom white balance, you shoot a white object that will serve as the standard for the white balance. By selecting this image, you import its white balance data for the white balance setting.
- White Balance Correction: you can correct the standard color temperature for the white balance setting
- White Balance Auto Bracketing: with just one shot, three images having a different color tone can be recorded simultaneously. Based on the current white balance mode's standard color temperature, the white balance setting can be changed from 0 to +/-3 stops in whole-stop increments.
Picture Style (PS): With Picture Style technology and the EOS Digital Rebel XS, you can recreate characteristics of your favorite films. Color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings create noticeable variation in the saved image. You can choose from the following options:
- Standard: The image looks vivid, sharp, and crisp. This is a general-purpose PS suitable for most scenes.
- Portrait: This option is for nice skin tones. The image looks slightly sharp and crisp. It is effective for close-ups of women or children. You will be changing the color tone to adjust the skin tone.
- Landscape: Landscape gives you vivid blues and greens, and very sharp and crisp images. This is effective for impressive landscapes.
- Neutral: This is for users who prefer to process images with their personal computer. For natural colors and subdued images.
- Faithful: This is for users who prefer to process images with their personal computer. When the subject is photographed under a color temp of 5200k (Kelvin), the color is adjusted colorimetrically to match the subject's color.
- Monochrome: This option is for black and white photos. You can also adjust the filter effect, toning effect, sharpness, and contrast. If you to revert back to the original, you can go back to the default setting.
User Def: With this option, you can register
your own PS settings using the three User Defined presets that fit
your particular photographic style.
Note: With each effect, (except monochrome) you can adjust the sharpness, contrast, saturation, color tone; or you can revert back to the default mode.
Color Space: The color space refers to the range of reproducible colors. With this camera, you can set the color space for captured images to sRGB or Adobe RGB. For normal images, sRGB is recommended, because it serves as a "best guess" solution for how a personal PC monitor produces color, and how a printer reproduces that color. The sRGB color gamut has become the standard color space for displaying images on the internet, and for home use, but Adobe RGB improves on the color gamut of sRGB primarily in cyan-greens. Adobe RGB is mainly used in commercial printing, and encompasses most of the colors achievable by CMYK (Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black) printers, but by using only RGB primary colors on a device such as your computer display. Adobe RGB is also compatible with EXIF 2.21 printers
Note: In the Basic Zone modes, sRGB will be set automatically.
Eyepiece Cover: When you are not using the viewfinder to take a picture, the light that comes through could affect the exposure of the image. To negate this, use the eyepiece cover that is found on the shoulder strap to cover up the viewfinder eyepiece.
Mirror Lockup: When using a super telephoto lens, or shooting close-ups, you can further reduce camera vibration by using this feature which will prevent camera shake due to the mirror's reflex action.
Histogram: The digital SLR camera features the ability to view a histogram on the LCD monitor screen. A histogram is a graph showing the distribution of tones in the image.
Shooting Information Display: When reviewing a single image, you can switch to the shooting information display, which will give all the parameters that were used to record that image.
Auto Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback.
Image Review: The image can be displayed on the LCD monitor immediately after you shoot. The review time can be set to 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 8 seconds, or Hold, which keeps the image displayed on the LCD monitor.
Index Playback: This feature allows you to view nine images at once on the LCD monitor so that you can search for an image quickly. You can view 4 or 9 images at once.
Jump Feature: When the SD-card contains many images, you can review them by 10 or 100 images at a time. You can also use this button to review images by date.
Image Magnification: When viewing a still picture in single image playback mode, you can magnify the image from 1.5x to 10x.
Rotating Images: You can rotate an image by 90° or 270° clockwise in the LCD monitor.
Auto Playback: You can view all images on the SD-Card one-by-one with the Auto Playback function. Each image is displayed on the LCD monitor for approximately 4 seconds.
Image Protection: This features prevents images from being accidentally erased.
TV Playback: With the video cable provided, you can connect the camera to a TV set and view images on your TV screen.
Editing Functions: The digital SLR camera features the following editing functions before you print your pictures.
- Trimming Images: You can trim the image and print only the trimmed portion as if the image was recomposed.
Printing Effects: You can add the following effects
to your recorded images before you print.
- On: image will be printed according to the printer's standard colors
- Off: no automatic correction will be performed
- Vivid: image will be printed with higher saturation to produce more vivid blues and greens
- NR: image noise is reduced before printing
- Face: effective in backlit conditions which can make the subject's face look dark; the face will be brightened for printing
- B/W: prints in black-and-white with true blacks
- B/W Cool Tone: prints in black-and-white with cool, bluish blacks
- B/W Warm Tone: prints in black-and-white with warm, yellowish blacks
- Natural: prints the image in the actual colors and contrast
- Natural M: enables finer printing adjustments
- Default: printing will differ depending on the printer
Print/Share Button: Printing and uploading to a computer is incredibly simple with the Digital Rebel XS's Print/Share button. By connecting the Digital Rebel XS to a computer via the USB 2.0 port, it's easy to transfer some or all of the photographs in the cameras memory to folders on the computer.
Direct Print Function: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a CP-series printer that supports the Direct Print function. You can also connect the camera directly to certain Canon Bubble Jet printers. In this way, you can make prints directly from the camera without ever having to hook it up to a computer.
Note: In using this function, remember to fully charge the battery in the Rebel XS. This will insure up to approximately 4 hours of printing.
PictBridge Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS conforms to "Exif Print", a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
DPOF Print Settings: On the SD-card, you can select which image or images you want to print and how many copies you want. This is convenient for printing images all at once, on optional Canon direct print function compliant printers, on PictBridge compliant printers, or at participating photo labs.
Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery: The EOS Digital Rebel XS comes with a Canon LP-E5 Lithium-ion battery. The included LP-E5 Lithium-ion battery takes 2 hours to fully charge.
Battery Performance (On a fully charged LP-E5 battery):
|No Flash||50% Flash Use||No Flash||50% Flash Use|
23° C/73° F
|Approximately 600 shots||Approximately 500 shots||Approximately 200 shots||Approximately 190 shots|
|0° C/32° F||Approximately 500 shots||Approximately 400 shots||Approximately 190 shots||Approximately 180 shots|
Auto Power Off: To save battery power, the camera turns off automatically after a period of non-operation. The Auto Power Off time can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, or 15 minutes.
Backup Battery: The camera features a built-in secondary battery to backup date and time information.
Optional AC Power: With the optional ACK-E5 AC adapter kit, you can connect the camera to a household power outlet and not worry about the battery becoming exhausted.
Supplied Software: The EOS Digital Rebel XS comes bundled with two software CDs - EOS Digital Solution Disk Ver.18.1 and Software Instruction Manual.
Software Instruction Manual: The Software Instruction Manual CD-ROM contains PDF manual files for the software included on the EOS Digital Solution Disk Ver.18.1. Adobe Reader (by Adobe) must be installed to view the Instruction Manual files (PDF format).
EOS Digital Solution Disk Ver.18.1: The EOS Digital Solution Disk contains the following software applications.
- EOS Utility 2.4 (Windows/Macintosh): Allows you to download images you have shot with the camera to your computer. You can also set the various settings of the camera from your computer. In addition, you can shoot photos remotely by connecting the camera with your computer.
- Digital Photo Professional 3.4 (Windows/Macintosh): You can view, edit and print shot images on your computer at high-speed. You can also edit images with originals remaining unchanged. It can be used by a wide range of users from amateurs to professional and is especially recommended for users who mainly shoot RAW images.
- ZoomBrowser EX 6.1 (Windows only): You can view, edit and print shot images on your computer. You can also organize and sort images by shooting date or theme. It is recommended for novices who are using a digital camera for the first time and armature users.
- Image Browser 6.1 (Macintosh only): You can view, edit and print shot images on your computer. You can also organize and sort images by shooting date or theme. It is recommended for novices who are using a digital camera for the first time and armature users.
- Picture Style Editor 1.3 (Windows/Macintosh): You can edit Picture Style to your unique image characteristics and create/save and original Picture Style file.
EOS Digital Solution Ver.18.1 System Requirements:
Windows Vista/XP SP2/200 SP4
Mac OS x 10.3-10.4
Above OS pre-installed models with built-in USB ports
Vista: Pentium 1.3GHz; XP/2000: Pentium 750MHz or higher
PowerPC G3: 400MHz or higher processor; PowerPC G4, G5 or Intel processor
USB 1.1 to 2.0
USB 1.1 to 2.0
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.