Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Samsung's latest plasma screens deliver in 3D and 2D
Samsung's PN64D7000 creates big, bold, high-impact images whether you're watching 2D or 3D video. 3D certainly makes you feel more a part of the on-screen action, but 3D content is till scarce. Here's the deal: the PN64D7000 is ready anytime you decide to pick up a pair or two of Samsung's active glasses and start enjoying 3D. In the meantime you'll be watching one of the best TVs out there for 2D. Picture depth has always been a strength of plasma TVs.
What can you watch in 3D? More than you may realize
The ultimate 3D viewing experience starts with video material that was filmed or created in 3D. You can choose from several 3D Blu-ray players, and a limited number of 3D Blu-ray movie titles. Also, ESPN® and DIRECTV® have dedicated 3D channels so that true 3D content is available to over 40 million satellite and cable TV viewers. The PN64D7000 can also upconvert regular 2D content, adding a 3D effect that many people enjoy.
This web-savvy TV adds another level of fun
When you connect to your broadband Internet service you'll see why Samsung calls this a Smart TV. Built-in web "apps" let you instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix®, or catch up on TV shows you missed with Hulu Plus. There's tons more to explore, and if your PC is networked you can even search through the video and music you've stored on it using the TV's remote. This set's built-in Wi-Fi® gives you another way to take advantage of your wireless network.
- 64" screen (measured diagonally)
- ultra-slim bezel with Touch of Color accents
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- displays 3D images when you wear Samsung's active shutter glasses with Bluetooth® (sold separately)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- 600Hz Subfield HD Motion for clear video motion
- Real Black Filter for higher picture contrast and deeper black levels
- 15,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Internet-ready Smart TV plays Netflix® video and more (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- AllShare video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- built-in stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)
- illuminated remote control
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 5 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 4 HDMI v1.4
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- 2 USB ports for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 21-1/4"W x 13-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 58-1/2"W x 35"H x 1-3/4"D (37-3/8"H x 13-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 89.7 lbs. with stand; 77.1 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
The pros of plasma
If you're into picture quality, and you want a cinema-like home viewing experience, you owe it to yourself to check out plasma for your next TV. Plasma holds the edge when it comes to smooth motion and rich colors high-def movies and TV shows look effortlessly real. Plasma's superior picture contrast and deep black levels are best enjoyed in rooms without a lot of windows or lamps, where you can dim or darken the lights.
Samsung PN64D7000 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Not Rated"Coolness Factor"
Not RatedBuild Quality
Not RatedEase of Use
Not RatedPicture Quality
Great tv... Incredible picture and looks good in room..only minor complaint is the remote.
Pros: Picture Screen size Aesthetic look
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Crutchfield is superb in shipping large TVs and delivery time! It came to my door step packed in excellent protection and not a single blemish on the product. Aside from that, the TV itself is top notch! The picture quality it produces is really top notch in producing good black levels and colors that just stand out. Most other TVs I've looked at or have owned (DLP, LCD, LED), the picture quality always degrades to me the closer I get, but with this plasma, things actually tend to get clearer. Glad I chose this over any modern LED currently on the market!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
I think what most impress me was how it was shipped. The TV was delivered and boxed up in such a manner that it would not be damaged in transit. I had no worries it took a beating while being shipped. But as for the TV its amazing! Great image quality and the 3D is sooo cool! Everything looks clear, sharp and vivid. Its a key piece to any home theater set-up.
Pros: Image Quality - Style - Easy to Set-up - 3D
Cons: It gives off heat when its on. It doesn't have a lot of RCA inputs.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Went from a 52inch LCD that was about 2 1/2 years old , Loved that TV still works Great , but wanted bigger and also try a plasma . Could not be happier the picture is outstanding , I did have to calibrate it to my liking but once that was done its Excellent , It does let a little more heat off , but it is a plasma , and the colors are very realistic , I watch it from about 8 feet away and dont let them tell you its to close because the picture in Amazing , 3D viewing is great for the kids I am not much into it but it does work Great , also bought the cheaper glasses with a battery have watched about 3 3D movies with them , so far this tV is breath taking , Best part is you have crutchfield tech to answer any questions you have , Trust me they will help you till the end . Also the Tv came 3 -4 days sooner than expected Great Suprise , And this Tv is in the Basement in our Family Room so no light problem there ,It is very slim like a LED tv , with crutchfiels slim wall mount the tv sticks out only 2 inches from the wall Looks like a picture when on a still photo . God Bless
Pros: Excellent picture and features . You can not go wrong with this TV
Cons: Little bit of heat
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Pros: Beautiful picture.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
Beautiful picture. We went from a 55 inch rear projection sony HD to this. Thought about the 59 inch, but thought that bigger would be better. I'm glad that I did. We are watching from 10 feet away and it's excellent. With this screen size we get a "movie theater" style view.
We are streaming the wife's photo collection from our Synology NAS wirelessly. It is a bit quirky, but once you get the hang of it it is awesome to see slide shows on the screen. NOTE: When we used the SMART "Photo" option straight up the TV would display the "icon" view from the NAS. When viewing photos over streaming I'd recommend that your set your TV source to the device that you are streaming from. The picture is now very large.
The 3D is pretty good with movies involving actual actors. Where it really shines is in the animated features. Megamind is absolutely awesome in 3D. Makes it fun to watch cartoons again.
I went with the "cheap" Samsung 3D glasses. They work very well.
The delivery process was flawless as always with Crutchfield. As said above the box is HUGE. I put the TV and stand together myself and would recommend a second set of hands.
While the plasma's do use 2X the energy I felt that the picture is well worth the cost. I anticipate that our energy use for the year with this TV will be around $100.00. As much as we use and enjoy this TV I think that $50.00 savings with LCD/LED wasn't worth it.
This TV shines and smokes everything but the very highest end LCD/LED.
Pros: The picture. Second to none. Absolutely beautiful.
Cons: The stand. I like the look but would like it to be sturdier. It "gives" a little when someone brushes against it.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This Samsung PN64D7000 plasma TV replaced a functioning Toshiba 56HMX96 rear projection TV - both located in a den with good lighting control. I'm very pleased with the Samsung. Some comments:
I've purchased three large-screen TVs from Crutchfield. All transactions handled perfectly. The Samsung was actually delivered ahead of schedule.
The Samsung is a big TV and comes in a big box. It takes two strong people to handle it.
The Samsung is connected through a Yamaha receiver and Comcast DVR box. All HDMI "hand shakes" occur flawlessly. I can't judge the built-in sound quality of the Samsung TV.
The Samsung 1080p plasma picture is fantastic. The blacks are very dark. There is no motion blur, the picture is very life-like. 3D Shrek cartoon movies are amazing. Included 3D glasses are comfortable.
I bought the 7000 instead of the 8000 for three reasons: (1) the panel itself is supposedly the same according to CNET, (2) I don't need a QWERTY remote because I exclusively use Logitech Harmony remotes, and (3) I much prefer the 7000 stand with its clear "plexi-glass" plastic cylinder. I don't like the spider stand on the 8000 model.
My only caution to a prospective buyer is that I would not place the Samsung in a bright room with uncontrollable light sources. The glossy screen does reflect light. I'm much happier with a Sony LCD matte screen TV in my bright living room.
Regards and God Bless
Plasma is a hot rock!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
just got this TV from Crutchfield yesterday and I can say it's awesome! A little tweaking on the basic picture settings and the picture is awesome! 64 inches of beautiful screen is just amazing and 3d is inspiring. Only negative is the heat this behemoth generates. It generates more heat than my GE oven cooking a roast. I have a Triplite power conditioner that has a amp meter and this TV pulls 2 more amps than my previous Samsung 56" DLP. So, in summerizing, TV is awesome, great picture, apps are great, but sucks the power and generates a lot of heat.
What's in the box?
- 64" Plasma TV
- Pedestal stand base
- Guide stand
- Wireless remote control (BN59-00442A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6" AV component video adapter (with two male minijack connector on one end and female component video/stereo RCA jacks on other end)
- 2 Ferrite cores
- Four 4mm x 8mm machine screws
- Four 4mm x 12mm screws
- Screen cleaning cloth
- User Manual
- Pedestal Stand Installation Instructions
- Warranty Sheet (US)
- Warranty Sheet (Canada)
- Important Safety Instructions
- "STOP" note
Features and Specs
Plasma +1 Design: With Samsung's Plasma+1" Design, you'll benefit from an extra inch in screen size (64" vs. 63") because of the thinner bezel. A thick bezel can be distracting and affect your viewing experience. The Plasma+1 Design brings back the joy of watching television and provides you with a larger screen so your home entertainment experience is the best it can be.
Real Black Filter Technology: Samsung's Real Black Filter technology reduces onscreen glare and allows you to enjoy deeper blacks and sharper images. The Real Black Filter not only creates rich deep blacks, but also also enhances all the other onscreen colors, as well. As a result, the Samsung Real Black Filter provides a stunning warm & realistic picture.
600Hz Subfield Full HD Motion: The television features 600Hz Subfield Full HD Motion technology with a fast 0.001ms response time that minimizes blurring of fast motion in sports programming and movie content. The 600Hz Subfield Motion technology makes action more life-like and natural looking. Action scenes and sporting events are crisp, clear and picture perfect. 600Hz Subfield Motion flashes a single image up to 600 times a second creating unprecedented picture quality. Contours are crisper and scrolling text sharper; no matter how fast images are moving. Fast action scenes are both clear with rich deep color detail. As a result, you get smooth, realistic playback of any content.
Crystal Full HD Engine: Samsung's Crystal Full HD Engine achieves incredible clarity by unifying all of the TV's advanced imaging technologies. It expands performance, enhances all aspects of the image and takes picture quality and integrity to new levels of excellence.
Cinema Smooth: Watch movies with sharp contrast, crisp picture quality and now with lower energy bills. Cinema Smooth technology automatically controls the letterbox lighting by turning off the lights at the top & bottom of the screen.
Wide Color Enhancer Plus: Samsung's Wide Color Enhancer Plus uses an advanced algorithm to drastically improve image quality - even displaying subtle tones and details that less advanced TVs cannot reproduce.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
1080p Resolution: The Plasma television displays all inputs at a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080). The television's HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
Video Inputs: The Samsung Plasma TV features HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- HDMI (ver.1.4): The Samsung Plasma TV features four 1080p (24/60Hz) HDMI 1.4 inputs. The HDMI 1 input can also be used to connect a device with a DVI output (a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable is necessary). If a DVI-equipped device is used, a separate audio cable will also be needed from the device to the "PC/DVI Audio In" 3.5mm stereo audio jack. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV.
- Component Video: The Samsung LED TV features two minijack audio/videos inputs and comes with a 6" component video/stereo RCA adapter (1080p). This component video input can also be used as a composite video input (480i only).
Anti Burn-In Technology: To reduce the possibility of screen burn-in, this Plasma TV is equipped with screen burn-in prevention technology. Samsung's Anti-burn-in technology uses auto pixel shift and signal pattern processing functions to ensure that no images are burned into the plasma panel. The Time setting allows you to program the time between movement of the picture in minutes.
- Pixel Shift: This function shifts the pixels of the displayed image every 1-4 minutes to prevent burn-in.
- Scrolling: This function removes after-images on the screen by moving all the pixels on the PDP according to a pattern.
- Side Gray (Dark/Light): When you watch TV with the screen ratio of 4:3, the screen is prevented from any damage by adjusting the white balance on both the extreme left and right sides of the television.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (10, 20, 40, 60 minutes) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Full HD 3D (via HDMI 1.4): The Samsung Plasma TV offers Full HD (1080p) 3D capability. Samsung 3D TV utilizes Bluetooth-enabled active shutter glasses (SSG-3100/3300/3700, sold separately) for a full 1080p 3D viewing experience - when coupled with a 3D source, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player or an HD 3D broadcast from satellite or cable providers (connected via HDMI 1.4). The Samsung Plasma TV automatically adjusts the overall picture to provide an optimal 3D effect. The Samsung 3D TV also offers a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by up-converting it to virtual 3D. In addition, you can adjust the overall 3D perspective (+/-5) and overall 3D image depth (1-10). Samsung 3D TV supports Full HD 3D for 1920 x 2205p (24Hz) or 1280 x 1470p (60Hz) video signals; and virtual 3D for 1920 x 1080p (24/30/60Hz), 1920 x 1080i (60Hz), or 1280 x 720p (60hz) video signals. The Samsung Plasma TV offers various 3D modes to match your 3D viewing needs.
- 2D-3D: Changes a 2D image to 3D; you can adjust the focus and depth of the image to maximize 3D experience.
- Side-by-Side: Displays two images next to each other. Available when the resolution is 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
- Top & Bottom: Displays one image above another. Available when the resolution is 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
- 3D-2D: Displays the image for the left eye only.
- Off: Turns the 3D function off.
Note: 2010 Samsung IR 3D glasses and 3D glasses from other manufacturers are not compatible. 3D Mode is automatically disabled when accessing ConnectShare, Samsung Apps, or Smart TV. PIP, Auto Program, and some Picture Adjustment functions will also be disabled in 3D mode.
Screen Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes.
- 16:9: Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
- Zoom 1: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Zoom 2: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Wide Fit: Proportionally enlarges the picture to fit the entire screen without changing the aspect ratio.
- 4:3: Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen.
- Screen Fit: See the full image with no resizing when HDMI (720p/1080i/180p) or Component (1080i/1080p) signals are inputted
Note: Screen Size settings can be stored for each external device you have connected to an input of the TV.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture.
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset
adjustments to the picture.
- Standard: suitable for a normal room
- Relax: suitable for an eye comfortable display (not available in PC mode)
- Dynamic: suitable for a bright room
- Movie: suitable for watching movies in a dark room
- Manual Picture Settings:
The TV has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality.
- Cell Light: sets the pixel brightness
- Contrast: adjusts the contrast level of the picture
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness level of the picture
- Sharpness: adjusts the edge definition of the picture
- Color: adjusts the color saturation of the picture
- Tint (G/R): adjusts the color tint of the picture
- Advanced Picture Settings:
The TV also offers more advanced picture adjustments for fine tuning.
- Black Tone: adjusts the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the screen contrast so that the optimal contrast is provided
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red, green, blue) intensity
- Expert Pattern: use this function to calibrate the picture
- RGB Only Mode: displays the Red, Green, and Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation
- Color Space: adjusts the range of colors available to create the image (Auto/Native)
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using one of four presets: Cool, Normal, Warm 1, Warm 2
- Flesh Tone: emphasize the pink flesh tone in a picture
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors
- 10p White Balance: controls the white balance in 10 point intervals by adjusting the red, green, and blue brightness
- Edge Enhancement: emphasizes object boundaries in the picture
Note: You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV.
HDMI Black Level: You can select the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth when you have a component connected via HDMI to the television. You can select either Normal or Low.
Digital Noise Filter: If the broadcast signal received by your TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Noise Reduction feature to help reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen. You can select Low, Medium, High, Auto, or Off.
MPEG Noise Filter: This filter reduces MPEG noise of the picture. You can set the MPEG Noise Filter to Low, Medium, High, Auto, or Off.
Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (480i/1080i).
Game Mode: When connecting the television to a game console, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience when selecting Game Mode.
BD Wise: BD Wise provides optimal picture quality for HDMI connected Samsung Blu-ray and DVD players which also support the BD Wise feature.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): You can watch the TV's tuner and one external video source simultaneously. The TV channel will be displayed in a sub-screen which can be moved to each corner of the television's screen. You also view the two images side-by-side.
|Main Picture||Sub Picture|
|External Input: Component, HDMI, PC||TV: Antenna input|
Note: PIP does not function in the same mode.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
Sound Modes: You can choose from the following Preset Sound Modes:
- Standard: Select the normal sound mode.
- Music: Emphasizes music over voices.
- Movie: Provides the best sound for movies.
- Clear Voice: Emphasizes voices over other sounds.
- Amplify: Amplify mode is for people who have difficulty hearing.
Equalizer: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound.
SRS TruSurround HD: SRS TruSurround HD is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including the internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.
SRS TruDialog: This function allows you to increase the intensity of a voice over background music or sound effects so that dialogue can be heard more clearly.
Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
Digital Audio: The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the Plasma TV, or Dolby Digital surround sound from a Samsung Smart TV app, via the television's network connection. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
Note: There are no analog audio outputs.
PC-Capable: This unit has a 15-pin D-Sub (RGB) input that allows you to use it as a high-resolution computer monitor. This input consists of a stereo mini-jack and an analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack. This jack allows you to connect a personal computer with a D-Sub 15-pin output. When using the RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack, you must use the PC Audio 3.5mm input for your audio connection. The HDMI 1 input can also be connected to a computer. The TV can be set to automatically adjust to the video signals received, or you can use the setup menu to adjust the screen quality and position.
Note: The Samsung Plasma TV provides an optimal PC resolution of 1920 x 1080p (60Hz).
3 USB Ports: The Plasma TV features three USB type-A ports. The USB ports can be used for software/firmware updates or playing music/picture/video files stored on a USB Mass Storage Class Device (MSC)
ConnectShare: ConnectShare enables you to view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a USB Mass Storage Class device (MTP: Media Transfer Protocol is not supported) using the television's side-panel USB type-A port. Files must be formatted in FAT16/32 or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files in each folder.
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following Video formats (MPEG 1/2/4, DivX 3.11/4.x/5.1/6.0, XviD, H.264 BP/MP/HP, and WMV-9) up to a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a USB mass storage device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports JPEG still image files with a maximum resolution up to 15360 x 8640. JPEG still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view (up to 15 images). Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports MP3 audio files with a frequency rate of 32/44.1/48 kHz. MP3 music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Network Connection (wired/wireless): You can set up the Samsung Plasma TV so that it can access the Internet and Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You will also be able to play your pictures, music, and videos saved on your PC through the television using either connection. You can attach the TV to your network via a hardwired Ethernet (RJ-45) connection or a wireless connection using the TV's built-in WiFi. You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods - PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, Ad-Hoc, or Manually.
Note: The TV's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N and WEP/TKIP/TKIP-AES (except for 802.11N). When playing video over a IEEE 802.1B/G connection, the video may not pay smoothly.
DLNA Certified: The television's DLNA Certification allows you to watch videos (MPEG/DivX), photos (JPEG), and listen to music (MP3) saved on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or using wireless LAN connection (WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free at www.samsung.com. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
Samsung Apps: Samsung Apps is an online store where you can download select online applications to the Samsung Plasma TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications - such as videos, music, photos, games, and news. Samsung Apps has a growing collection of pay and free-of-charge online applications, specifically built for Samsung TV, that connects you to some of your favorite online content - such as movies from Netflix or Blockbuster, TV shows from Hulu Plus, videos from YouTube, Next Level sports information from ESPN, music from Pandora, and social updates from Facebook or Twitter. Once connected to your home network, you can visit the online Samsung Apps store from the TV's Smart Hub menu and download free Apps or purchase advanced applications. The following App categories are available.
- What's New: Displays newly registered applications.
- Video: Displays apps that provide video media - such as movies, TV shows, and short length videos. You can access Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Blockbuster, YouTube, etc..
- Game: Displays various game apps - such as Monopoly, Sudoku, and Chess.
- Sports: Displays apps that provide sports content - such as game results, images, and highlights. You can access ESPN, Associated Press, and USA Today.
- Lifestyle: Includes apps that provide lifestyle media services - such as music, personal photo management tools, and social networking - like Facebook and Twitter.
- Information: Includes apps that provide information content - such as news, financial information, stock quotes, and weather.
- Other: Includes other miscellaneous apps.
- My Account: Displays the application list and your cyber cash balance.
- Help: For questions about Samsung Apps.
Note: Visit http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/samsungappscompatibilityguide for a complete list of compatible Samsung Apps.
Social TV: Using Samsung's Social TV App (free download), you can share your TV viewing experience with your friends via social networking services - such as Facebook, Twitter, or Google Talk. You can continue to watch your TV show or movie, while commenting on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Talk.
Ticker: The Samsung Ticker App (free download) provides useful News, Weather, and Stock Market information.
AllShare: AllShare connects the Samsung Plasma TV and compatible Samsung mobile phones/devices through your network connection. On the TV, you can view call arrivals, SMS messages and schedules set on your mobile phone. In addition, you can play media contents, including photos, videos, and music saved on your mobile phone or other devices (such as your PC) by controlling them on the TV via your network connection. Additionally, you can use the TV for browsing web pages in your mobile phone.
Note: Please visit Samsung.com for compatible devices.
Software Upgrade: The Plasma television lets you download future software/firmware upgrades via USB or Internet (Ethernet/built-in WiFi) connection.
Smart TV: Samsung Smart TV allows you to easily search for movies, TV shows, explore Samsung Apps, chat with friends, and find many other types of new interactive TV content from its Smart Hub menu. The Smart Hub service downloads and processes data via the Internet so that you can enjoy Internet Content on the TV screen. The Smart Hub menu also gives you access to the television's off-air tuner, external inputs, and network connected media devices. and a recommendation engine which suggests movies you might like from your Video-On-Demand services. Smart TV's Smart Hub menu consists of the following:
- TV Screen: You can view the current input source screen while viewing the Smart Hub Menu.
- Samsung Apps: You can download various pay or free-of-charge application services.
- My Applications: Displays your personal gallery of applications and other media folders where you can add, manage, customize, and delete content. Here you have access to your Samsung Apps, your favorite off-air channels, the TV's external inputs, and your music/video/photo files stored on your connected PC.
- Your Videos: You can search Samsung Apps' entire video library by category (New Release, Genre, Rating, etc...). Once you find a movie you want, the Smart Hub menu will display a movie summary and indicate which Samsun App has that particular movie available for download. Smart TV will even recommend movies based on your previous movie watching.
- Recommended: The Samsung Smart Hub menu features a recommendation engine which suggests Samsung Apps you might like from the online Samsung App Store.
- Search All: The Samsung Smart Hub menu includes a Search All feature, so you can enter a keyword and search for a variety audio/video content and online Samsung applications.
Note: Smart Hub requires an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5mbps or greater. You must setup a user name and password. Some application services may be provided in English only and the content available may vary, depending on your area.
Input Source Names: You can assign a pre-programmed name to each of the inputs. When input naming is completed, you will no longer have to remember which component is connected to each input when selecting a source to watch. Source names include VCR, DVD, Cable STB, Satellite STB, PVR STB, AV Receiver, Game, Camcorder, PC, TV, DVI PC, DVI Device, IPTV, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and Digital Media Adapter.
Channel Labels: Each analog channel programmed into memory can be labeled with a name (up to 5 characters). Digital channels names are already assigned and cannot be edited.
Close Captions (CC): The Samsung Plasma TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
Note: The Closed Captions feature does work in Component, HDMI, or PC modes.
Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
Note: Program Rating Lock is not available in HDMI, Component, or PC mode.
ENERGY STAR Compliant with ECO Settings: The Samsung Plasma TV is ENERGY STAR compliant and provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you a little energy.
- Motion Lighting: Motion Lighting reduces power consumption by reducing screen brightness when the picture on the screen is in motion.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 3 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Plasma TV provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture and sound problems.
E-Manual: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into the TV and can be viewed on-screen. Press the "E-Manual" button on the remote control to access complete instruction manual.
Illuminated Remote: The supplied remote control is designed to only operate the Samsung Plasma television and Anynet+ connected components. You can use the remote control up to a distance of about 23 feet from TV with a direct line of sight. The remote's buttons are backlit and will light up with a press of a button.
Note: This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel, and Volume buttons for the visually impaired.
Anynet+: Take all your remotes and condense them into one simplified solution. With Samsung's Anynet+ you'll enjoy one-touch control for all your HDMI-connected compatible devices like your Samsung TV, Blu-ray Disc player, AV Receiver and Home Theater. Anynet+ is a function that enables you to control all connected Samsung devices that support Anynet+ with the Samsung television's remote control. The Anynet+ system can be used only with Samsung devices that support the Anynet+ features. The Anynet+ feature must be turned on in the menu to function.
Note: Anynet+ supports up to 12 A/V devices in total. You can only connect up to 3 devices of the same type.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The pedestal stand attaches to the television using the supplied hardware. The pedestal stand allows the TV to swivel left to right +/- 20-degrees. The television weighs 89.7 lbs with the stand.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 600mm (H) x 400mm (V) in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. The threaded inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 77.1 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The Samsung Plasma TV features an attached 5' AC power cord. The power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 1.125" from the wall.