Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Get a taste of TV's future today
The PN64E8000 is Samsung's finest 64" plasma for 2012. It's a bundle of exciting innovations. Picture quality is breathtaking thanks to some of Samsung's most advanced technologies. And the revolutionary interactive user controls mean you won't have to be so concerned the next time the regular remote gets lost in the sofa cushions.
Welcome to the new era of Smart TV
While almost everything else about TVs has improved radically in recent years, we've still been stuck with the same old remote to control them. Not anymore. Samsung's Smart Interaction technologies go beyond buttons, providing control options that are engaging and fun.
Voice Control: Tell your TV what you want
Say "Hi, TV" to turn on the PN64E8000's voice control. You can then tell the TV to change the channel or adjust the volume. To go online, simply say "web browser." This might sound a little silly, but when you try it, it's actually pretty cool.
Gesture Control: Your hand is now the remote
The camera that's built into the PN64E8000 makes it possible to control the TV with hand gestures. Raise or lower the volume with a wave of your hand. Navigate menus by using hand movements to control an on-screen cursor. To select an item or app just close your hand.
Face Recognition: Skype video calls, auto log-in, and more
The PN64E8000 is among the first to provide a great experience with Skype® video calls. The camera and speakerphone offer bright, detailed images and clear sound. Samsung's face recognition feature can automatically log you in to the TV's Smart Hub home screen without a password or ID.
A dual-core processor delivers faster web browsing
Web access on your TV takes a big leap forward with this model. A dual-core processor enables faster web browsing and multitasking you can download an app while you're using another one. Samsung provides practical, easy ways to enjoy online entertainment. Whether your connection is wired or wireless, you can surf the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online.
There are built-in apps for accessing video services like Netflix®, Hulu Plus, and YouTube, and you can download new Samsung apps, all custom built to work on your TV. Samsung's new Signature Services include things like personalized movie and show recommendations, and the ability to set up and maintain a fitness routine.
3D fun comes in the box your first two pairs of 3D glasses are on Samsung
The PN64E8000 uses Samsung's latest Full HD active 3D technology to deliver spellbinding visuals with your favorite 3D movie titles. Just slip on a pair of the included 3D glasses to enjoy a deeper view, and not just with 3D video sources switch on the TV's 2D-to-3D conversion feature for added depth with regular 2D video. And even if you're not interested in 3D this set still still deserves consideration if you're picky about picture quality. Its advanced 3D-capable screen produces some of the most beautifully vivid 2D images you'll find anywhere.
- 64" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, slim panel with black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- Smart Interaction technologies: Voice Control, Gesture Control, and Face Recognition
- top-mounted camera/microphone
- displays 3D images when you wear Samsung's active 3D glasses (2 pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- 600Hz Subfield HD Motion for clear video motion
- Real Black Pro Panel for high picture contrast and deep black levels
- Internet-ready Smart TV plays Netflix® video and more (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- built-in web browser
- dual-core processor for improved web browsing and app multitasking
- AllShare video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Skype Internet calling (subscription required)
- wireless keyboard-compatible (keyboard not included)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- standard illuminated remote, plus a touchpad remote with built-in microphone for voice control
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 4 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 3 HDMI v1.4
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- 2 USB ports for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 32-1/4"W x 14-1/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 58-3/8"W x 34-3/4"H x 2-1/4"D (38-1/4"H x 14-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 83.1 lbs. with stand; 76.1 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
The pros of plasma
If you're into picture quality, and you want a cinema-like home viewing experience, you owe it to yourself to check out plasma for your next TV. Plasma holds the edge when it comes to smooth motion and rich colors high-def movies and TV shows look effortlessly real. Plasma's superior picture contrast and deep black levels are best enjoyed in rooms without a lot of windows or lamps, where you can dim or darken the lights.
Samsung PN64E8000 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
PN64E8000 picture is awesome, internet apps, motion and voice control
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Ease of Use
I am very pleased with the performance of the TV for viewing DVD and satellite programming. Based on reviews prior to purchase, I did not expect much from the voice or motion control. And I wasn't disappointed. It doesn't even work well enough to show off a little bit, much less use for real to control the TV. The picture out of the box was pretty darn nice, but you always want more, right? I investigated doing a calibration and came across some setup values in a C-Net review of the 60" model. I made those changes to the setup values and now the picture is breath taking. Whenever a landscape scene or something with a lot of depth crosses the screen, I rewind and freeze it and say to my wife "Look at that picture!" Now I see why plasma owners rave about the picture. It is awesome. I don't see how a calibration by a professional could make an appreciable difference, especially considering the cost benefit. I finally did get Skype working, but I had to create a new account. It would not recognize my known-good account used on other devices. But once up and running, the breadth of the picture and the excellent response by the microphone and camera were notable. We were sitting 8-9 feet away from the screen and spoke to our caller in normal tones. The camera also handled a somewhat low-light situation very well. We played with the 3D with some of the demo content that is included and it did seem to work very well. I have ordered Avatar 3D to check out 3D more.
Pros: Picture quality is awesome. Wireless connection to internet was easy to set up and works well, even viewing online video.
Cons: Motion are voice control are not really usable. The included Skype and Netflix apps are the only two I tried and they were disappointing. I gave up on successfully navigating NetFlix and had to use the online Skype, not the included one.
Not Worth the $$$$
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Quality of the picture are excellent. But as for the smart Apps. it suck. will not sync to the phone using DLNA, youtube will not continue on playing. voice control dont really work that well. have to use the voice remote to turn off tv and volume up and down. camera is not adjust able. when mount on the wall. you have to stand up to ur face. for a dual core processor it only help on web browsing.
Pros: picture quality...
Cons: need to improve on the apps and need to able to flash the firmware update through usb drive. no firmware update or down grade.
Not Worth the Price
I was excited to get this TV as it was supposed to be Samsung's top of the line television. However, so far I've been very disappointed. First off this doesn't come with a much of a manual. It comes with a manual to get started consisting of several pages. The rest of the information is on the television itself as an e-manual. That makes it hard to read the manual on the bus ride into work or in bed at night. The next problem is I don't get many of the channels that I get on my 2010 Samsung Plasma television. Both televisions have the same set up. There's a cable running directly from the wall to the television. However, there are close to 20 channels that I can't get on this television that come in on my 2 year old Samsung television. I've gone through the set-up at least 10 times and can't seem to get those missing channels added. Thirdly, I can't get the the voice control to work. I've gone through the voice control set-up a couple times and get a message saying the voice control is set up properly but it doesn't work. I haven't even tried the gesture control because the included instruction manual is very limited. One of the selling points for this television was all the features. However, I haven't seen what all the "features" are. I suppose reading the 658 page e-manual would be helpful but when I sit down to watch televsison I want to watch television and not read an on-line manual. As for the picture quality. It's terrible, The size is great but the quality is poor,
Pros: Size - I like the large size but it just seems to magnify the poor picture quality.
Cons: Manual is an e-manual making it difficult ot find information. Picture quality is poor. Voice control doesn't work.
What's in the box?
- 64" Plasma TV
- 5' AC power cord
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- Wireless remote control (AA59-00637A)
- Smart Touch Controller (RMCTPE1)
- IR Blaster
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6 "AA" batteries
- 2 Pair of 3D active glasses (SSG-4100GB)
- Two CR2025 3V batteries
- Four M4 x 12mm screws
- Four M4 x 10mm screws
- 2 Ferrite cores
- Cleaning cloth
- User Manual
- Smart TV Quick Setup Guide
- Stand Assembly Instructions
- Smart Touch Control/IR Blaster Guide
- Ferrite Core installation instructions
- Warning! Important Safety Instructions
- Limited Warranty Sheet
- "Stop/Samsung Support" note
- 3D Active Glasses User's Guide
- Cleaning cloth instructions
Features and Specs
Real Black Pro Panel: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV offers high-performance picture quality with Real Black Pro Panel. An advancement within the panel structure of the plasma TV and a software improvement that depicts blacker blacks, bolder color, higher contrast and exceptional picture quality. This technological improvement provides a more cinematic viewing experience.
Wide Color Enhancer Plus: Wide Color Enhancer Plus allows you to see picture color the way the director originally intended. Witness the entire RGB spectrum brought to life on your screen to bring you exceptionally vibrant, yet natural-looking images faithful to the director's original intent.
600Hz Subfield Motion: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV features 600Hz Subfield Motion technology with a fast 0.001ms response time that minimizes blurring of fast motion in sports programming and movie content. The 600Hz Subfield Motion technology makes action more life-like and natural looking. Action scenes and sporting events are crisp, clear and picture perfect. 600Hz Subfield Motion flashes a single image up to 600 times a second creating unprecedented picture quality. Contours are crisper and scrolling text sharper; no matter how fast images are moving. Fast action scenes are both clear with rich deep color detail.
Cinema Smooth: Movies are shot at 24 fps (frames per second); Cinema Smooth is a refined playback process of 24p movies from Blu-ray and Satellite TV sources that accurately converts and displays content originally shot on film at 24fps as compared to the 30fps of DVD and Blu-ray disc. This allows for smoother motion scenes when watching sources shot at the standard movie rate of 24fps.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
1080p Resolution: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV displays all inputs at a resolution of 1080p (1920 x 1080). The television's HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDMI (v.1.4): The Samsung Plasma TV features three HDMI 1.4 inputs to connect to your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, or AV receiver. All HDMI inputs support x.v.Color, Deep Color, 3D, and CEC. The HDMI 2 input also supports the ARC function. The HDMI 3 input is MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) compliant. The HDMI 1 input features a 3.5mm audio input for DVI connection (DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable and separate audio cable is required). In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV.
- Component Video: The Plasma TV features a single component video input. The TV's component video input can also be used as a composite video input (480i only).
HDMI (MHL) Port: The HDMI 3 port is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 3 (MHL) port using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Samsung TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 3 port. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Full HD 3D (via HDMI 1.4): The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV offers Full HD (1080p) 3D capability. Samsung 3D TV utilizes Bluetooth-enabled active shutter glasses (two pair included) for a full 1080p 3D viewing experience when coupled with a 3D source, such as a 3D-ready Blu-ray player or an HD 3D broadcast from satellite or cable providers (connected via HDMI 1.4). The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV automatically adjusts the overall picture to provide an optimal 3D effect. The Samsung 3D TV also offers a unique feature that allows you to intensify your 2D viewing experience by up-converting it to virtual 3D. In addition, you can adjust the overall 3D perspective (+/-5) and overall 3D image depth (1-10). Samsung 3D TV supports Full HD 3D for 1920 x 2205p (24Hz) or 1280 x 1470p (60Hz) video signals; and virtual 3D for 1920 x 1080p (24/30/60Hz), 1920 x 1080i (60Hz), or 1280 x 720p (60hz) video signals. The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV offers various 3D modes to match your 3D viewing needs.
- 2D-3D: Changes a 2D image to 3D; you can adjust the focus and depth of the image to maximize 3D experience.
- Side-by-Side: Displays two images next to each other. Available when the resolution is 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
- Top & Bottom: Displays one image above another. Available when the resolution is 720p, 1080i or 1080p.
- 3D-2D: Displays the image for the left eye only.
- Off: Turns the 3D function off.
Note: 2010 Samsung IR 3D glasses and3D glasses from other manufacturers are not compatible. Some 3D modes may not be available depending on the format of the image source. PIP, Auto Program, and some Picture Adjustment functions will also be disabled in 3D mode.
Included 3D Glasses (2 pair): The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV includes two pair of 3D active glasses with built-in Bluetooth. Samsung's 3D Active Glasses (SSG-4100GB) offer a comfortable fit through its lightweight frame and flexible noise- and ear-pieces. The Samsung 3D Active Glasses are powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium coin-type battery (pre-installed). The battery can last up to 150 hours when powered on. The Samsung's 3D Active Glasses provide a viewing range between 6' and 19.5' from the Samsung 3D-ready TV.
Note: If the 3D glasses move outside of the recommended operating distance, the signal from the TV will be disconnected and the display of the 3D glasses will turn off after several seconds. If you lie on your side while watch TV with 3D glasses, the picture may look dark or may not be visible. When viewing 3D video under fluorescent lighting (50-60Hz), you may notice a small amount of screen flickering.
Screen Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes.
- 16:9: Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
- Zoom 1: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Zoom 2: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Wide Fit: Proportionally enlarges the picture to fit the entire screen without changing the aspect ratio.
- 4:3: Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen.
- Screen Fit: See the full image with no resizing when HDMI (720p/1080i/180p) or Component (1080i/1080p) signals are inputted
Note: Screen Size settings can be stored for each external device you have connected to an input of the TV.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture.
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset
adjustments to the picture.
- Standard: suitable for a normal environment
- Dynamic: suitable for a bright room
- Movie: suitable for watching movies and games
- Entertain: suitable for watching movies and game
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality.
- Cell Light: sets the individual pixel brightness
- Contrast: adjusts the contrast level of the picture
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness level of the picture
- Sharpness: adjusts the edge definition of the picture
- Color: adjusts the color saturation of the picture
- Tint (G/R): adjusts the color tint of the picture
- Advanced Picture Settings: The TV also offers more advanced picture adjustments for fine tuning.
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the screen contrast so that the optimal contrast is provided
- Black Tone: adjusts the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth
- Flesh Tone: emphasize the pink flesh tone in a picture
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using one of four presets: Cool, Normal, Warm 1, Warm 2
- RGB Only: displays the red, green, and blue colors so you can make fine adjustments to hue and saturation
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red, green, blue) intensity
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors
- Motion Lighting: The TV automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims.
Note: You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV.
HDMI Black Level: You can select the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth when you have a component connected via HDMI to the television. You can select either Normal or Low.
Noise Filtration: The Samsung TV provides digital noise and MPEG noise filtration.
- Digital Noise Filter: If the broadcast signal received by your TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Noise Reduction feature to help reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen. You can select Low, Medium, High, Auto, or Off.
- MPEG Noise Filter: This filter reduces MPEG noise of the picture. You can set the MPEG Noise Filter to Low, Medium, High, Auto, or Off.
Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture from optimum quality. Film mode is supported in TV, AV, Component (480i/1080i), and HDMI (480i/1080i).
Game Mode: When connecting the television to a game console, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience when selecting Game Mode.
BD Wise: BD Wise provides the optimal picture quality for Samsung DVD, Blu-ray, and Home Theater products which support BD Wise. When BD Wise is set to On, the TV's picture mode is automatically changed to the optimal resolution.
Anti Burn-In Technology: To reduce the possibility of screen burn-in, this Plasma TV is equipped with screen burn-in prevention technology. Samsung's Anti-burn-in technology uses auto pixel shift and signal pattern processing functions to ensure that no images are burned into the plasma panel. The Time setting allows you to program the time between movement of the picture in minutes.
- Pixel Shift: This function shifts the pixels of the displayed image every 1-4 minutes to prevent burn-in.
- Scrolling: This function removes after-images on the screen by moving all the pixels on the PDP according to a pattern.
- Side Gray (Dark/Light): When you watch TV with the screen ratio of 4:3, the screen is prevented from any damage by adjusting the white balance on both the extreme left and right sides of the television.
- Auto Protection Time: If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (10, 20, 40, 60 minutes) defined by the user, the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
PIP (Picture-in-Picture): You can watch the TV's tuner and one external video source simultaneously. The TV channel will be displayed in a sub-screen which can be moved to each corner of the television's screen. You can switch the audio between the main screen and sub-screen.
|Main Picture||Sub Picture|
|External Input: Component or HDMI||TV: Antenna input|
Note: PIP does not function in the same mode.
SRS TruSurround HD: SRS TruSurround HD is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including the internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.
SRS TruDialog: This function allows you to increase the intensity of voices over background music or sound effects so that dialog can be heard more clearly.
Sound Modes: You can choose from the following Preset Sound Modes:
- Standard: Selects the normal sound mode.
- Music: Emphasizes music over voices.
- Movie: Provides the best sound for movies.
- Clear Voice: Emphasizes voices over other sounds.
- Amplify: Amplify mode is for people who have difficulty hearing.
Equalizer: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 5-band EQ (100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz) for a more customized sound.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.
Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
Digital Audio: The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the Plasma TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI, USB, and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 2 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Network Connection (wired/wireless): You can set up the Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, One Foot, or Manually.
Note: The TV's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless LAN networks and WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) network security.
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung Plasma TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (DIVX/MPEG/H.264/WMV), photos (JPEG/PNG/BMP/MPO)), and listen to music (MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC/OGG) saved on your Windows PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free at www.samsung.com. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
Samsung's Dual Core Processor: Samsung's Dual Core's processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables faster web browsing while playing apps or TV programs that you've recently opened through the Recent History feature.
Samsung Apps: Once you have connected the Samsung TV to your home network, you gain access to Samsung Apps. Samsung Apps lets you download for pay or free-of-charge applications and services to the Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications; such as videos, music, photos, games, and news. Samsung Apps has a growing collection of pay and free-of-charge online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content; such as movies from Netflix or Blockbuster, TV shows from Hulu Plus, videos from YouTube, music from Pandora, and social updates from Facebook or Twitter. Once connected to your home network, you can visit the online Samsung Apps store from the TV's Smart Hub menu and download free Apps or purchase advanced applications. The following App categories are available.
Description and Listings
|What's New||Displays newly registered applications.|
|Most Popular||Display the most popular applications.|
|Video||Displays apps that provide video media; such as movies, TV shows, and short length videos. You can access Netflix (5.1ch), Vudu, HuluPlus, Blockbuster On-Demand, Flixter, CinemaNow, YouTube, AOL HD, etc..|
|Game||Displays various game app; such as Memory, Sudoku, and Texas Hold'em.|
|Sports||Displays apps that provide sports content and exercise work outs. You can access MLB, NHL, or College for sports; and Push-Ups, Six-Pack, or Yoga for workouts.|
|Lifestyle||Includes apps that provide lifestyle media services; such as music (Pandora/vTuner), personal photo management tools (Picasa), and social networking (Facebook/Twitter/Google Talk).|
|Information||Includes apps that provide information content; such as news (CNBC/USA Today), weather (accuweather), and maps (Google maps).|
|Education||Includes educational apps for kids.|
|My Apps||Displays the application list and your cyber cash balance.|
|Help||For questions about Samsung Apps.|
Note: Smart Apps require an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5mbps or greater. Some application services may be provided in English only and the content available may vary, depending on your area. Visit Samsung's App Guide for a complete list of available Samsung Apps.
Ticker: The Ticker application provides useful News, Weather, and Stock Market information on-screen.
Web Browser (powered by Google): You can access the internet using the TV's Web Brower application (powered by Google). You can search by URL address or keywords. The player will archive your web browser history by Date, Name, or Frequency. You can also save "Favorite" web pages and create a "Home" page. The Web Browser can be accessed from the Smart Hub menu. The Web Browser is maximized to fill TV screen.
Note: The Web Browser is not compatible with Java applications. The playback of Flash videos is not supported. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
Skype w/ Built-in Camera & Mic: Samsung's free Skype app, plus the built-in camera & mic on the Samsung Plasma TV lets you make video calls from the comfort of your living room. Using the TV's remote control, you can create free Skype accounts, log into existing accounts, and navigate via a simple Skype interface made for the big screen. You can make free Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls to friends and family, wherever they are in the world from the Samsung TV.
Firmware/Software Updates: The television's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the TV's software & firmware for performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways; USB, Internet, Alternative Software, or Standby Mode. The tested television contained firmware version 001013, and needed an immediate update of firmware version 001031 (as of 8/2/2012).Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
Dual USB Ports: The television is equipped with two USB (type-A) ports. One of the USB ports can accept a USB mass-storage-class device (5V/0.5A), while the other USB port will accept a USB hard-disk-drive (5V/1A). Either USB port lets you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device. Files must be formatted in FAT16/32 or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files in each folder.
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following video file types; DIVX (1920x1080), MPEG (1920x1080), Motion JPEG (640x480), H.264 (1920x1080), or WMV (1920x1080). Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports the following still image file types; JPEG (15360x8460), PNG (1920x1080), BMP (1920x1080, or MPO (15360x8650). Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with background music or as a thumbnail view (up to 15 images). Still images can also viewed full-screen and zoomed or rotated.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports music files supports the following music file types; MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and OGG. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV will support either a USB or Bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately).
Smart Hub: Once you have connected the Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV to your home network, you can start using Samsung's Smart Hub interactive menu system. With Smart Hub, you can stream audio/video content from select Internet sites, access various pay or free-of-charge applications, and view them on the television. Application content includes news, sports, weather forecasts, stock market quotes, maps, photos, and games; plus a recommendation engine which suggests movies you might like from your video-on-demand services. The Smart Hub menu also gives you access to the television's off-air tuner, external inputs, and network connected media devices. The Smart Hub offers the following on-screen menu functions.
- TV Screen: You can view the current input source screen while viewing the Smart Hub Menu.
- Search: Provides an integrated search for your video providers and connected All Share devices.
- Your Video: Provides recommendations for on-line movies based on your tastes. Once you have selected a movie from the recommendation list, you can select which VOD (video-on-demand) provider to use.
- Samsung Apps: You can download various for pay or free-of-charge application services.
- Recommended Apps: The Samsung Smart Hub menu features a recommendation engine which suggests Samsung Apps you might like from the online Samsung App Store.
- Channels: The Smart Hub provides various options to
select the channels you watch most.
- Favorites: The Favorites feature lets you arrange and display favorite channels in up to five groups. Each group is independent of the other groups and can contain the same channels as other groups, different channels, or a combination of both.
- Recently Viewed: Shows the most recently viewed channels.
- Mostly Viewed: Shows the most frequently viewed channels.
- Schedule Manager: Using this function, you can set the TV to display a desired channel automatically on a day and at a time of your choice. The Schedule Manager can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun.
- Sources: From the Smart Hub menu you can switch source inputs (TV, HDMI, AV, Component).
- Family Story: Effortless way to access family content. Provides access to family photos, messages, and events.
- Fitness: Provides a gateway to the Unified Self-Care Service. Presents fitness videos from various content partners with feedback on calories burned after every workout.
- Kids: Kids service gives kids an easy and safe way to enjoy their favorite content.
Note: Smart Hub requires an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5mbps or greater. You must setup a user name and password. Some application services may be provided in English only and the content available may vary, depending on your area.
Input Source Names: You can assign a pre-programmed name to each of the inputs. When input naming is completed, you will no longer have to remember which component is connected to each input when selecting a source to watch. Source names include VCR, DVD, Cable STB, Satellite STB, PVR STB, AV Receiver, Game, Camcorder, PC, TV, DVI PC, DVI Device, IPTV, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and Digital Media Adapter.
Close Captions (CC): The Samsung Plasma TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size. The Closed Captions feature does work in Component, HDMI, or PC modes.
Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
ECO Settings: The Samsung Plasma TV provides ECO settings to reduce the TV's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
- Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Plasma TV provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
- Picture Test: Use to check for picture problems. If the problem appears in the test picture, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Sound Test: Use the built-in melody sound to check for sound problems. If the problem occurs during the test, select "Yes" and follow the directions on the screen.
- Signal Test: An HD digital channel's reception quality is either perfect or the channels are unavailable. Adjust your antenna to increase signal strength.
On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. An On/off timer can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun. You can also choose the On Timer's content (TV, USB, or Antenna) and volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
E-Manual: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into the TV and can be viewed on-screen. Open the e-Manual to learn how to use the TV's many features.
Smart Interaction: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV offers Smart Interaction with voice & motion control, as well as face recognition. Using this feature, you can access and control menu options and functions using speech, hand gestures, and face recognition.
- Voice Control: Using the TV's built-in microphone or the microphone on the included Smart Touch Remote and the voice control function of the TV, your voice is all you need to turn on the Samsung television, navigate menus, and get to your favorite Smart TV content. You can even use only your voice to switch the channel or adjust the volume level while focusing on the TV screen, which removes the need for the conventional remote control. "Trigger Words" will be displayed at the bottom of screen to use during voice control. To use Voice Control, you must pronounce words and phrases clearly and correctly in the language (English/French/Spanish) you selected. The Voice Control function can be affected by unclear pronunciation, voice level, or surrounding noise. Make sure to speak in a loud (~40dB) and clear voice and reduce any background noise (below 40db) in the room. Use the TV's voice control management test for best performance.
- Motion Control: Thanks to the television's built-in camera and motion control function, a simple hand gesture is all it takes to access your favorite movies, sports, apps, and other Smart TV content. Use a specific hand motions to switch the channel or adjust the volume level, as well as to move the mouse pointer to a desired position while surfing online content from the Smart Hub. Simply use your hand to control TV functions by swiping (moving your hand left or right) to navigate and grabbing (closing your hand or making a fist) to select. The motion control function can be affected by user's location, motion posture, or ambient brightness conditions. The built-in camera's angle is adjustable to compensate for the television's mounting height (high on wall or low on stand). Make sure the palm of your hand is open, flat, and facing the TV when making "swiping" movements (not too fast or too slow). If your hand moves outside of the camera's view, motion control will be deactivated. Your room should be well lit room (50-500 Lux) with the light illuminating you. Use the TV's gesture control environment test for best performance.
- Face Recognition: The built-in camera also recognizes your face and logs you in to your profile, giving you instant access to your favorite apps, your personal Skype address book, and more. In order for Face Recognition to function, the TV's built-in camera will take a snapshot of your face and a thumbnail image of your face will be stored in the TV for logging-in purposes.
Note: Samsung recommends using the Voice & Motion Control function within approximately 5-13' of your TV. The motion control's range may differ depending on the angle of camera or other conditions. Voice Control performance levels will vary based on the language spoken. Some TV and menu functions will require the use of the included IR remote control.
Smart Touch Remote: The new Samsung Smart Touch IR Remote Control makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with just your fingertips while focusing on the TV screen. In addition, the built-in touchpad removes the need for a mouse when you change the menu settings or search for something on the Internet. It even has a built-in microphone that you can use to give the Samsung TV voice commands (0.3-0.4').
Note: A standard IR wireless remote control is also included and needed for specific menu functions.
IR Blaster: When you connect the included battery powered IR Blaster with the Samsung TV, you can control your connected external devices (such as Blu-ray player & Sat/cable box) using the included Smart Touch Control. Install the IR Blaster within 19.7" and 45° in up-down/left-right from the IR sensor of the external device.
Anynet+: Take all your remotes and condense them into one simplified solution. With Samsung's Anynet+ you'll enjoy one-touch control for all your HDMI-connected compatible devices like your Samsung TV, Blu-ray Disc player, AV Receiver and Home Theater. Anynet+ is a function that enables you to control all connected Samsung devices that support Anynet+ with the Samsung television's remote control. The Anynet+ system can be used only with Samsung devices that support the Anynet+ features. The Anynet+ feature must be turned on in the menu to function.
Smart View Mobile App: Download the Smart View Mobile App from the Android Market on select Samsung smartphones and tablets (Android 2.2-up) for yet another way to control the Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV. If both your Samsung smartphone or tablet and TV are connected to the same wireless network, your smartphone or tablet will link to the TV automatically where you can use your smartphone or tablet like a remote control. The TV can also transfer live feeds to your smartphone or tablet. Main features include:
- Remote: Your Samsung mobile device can work as remote for the Samsung Plasma TV and a connected Samsung Blu-ray player. A full remote screen is provided by default, and three tabs are provided at the bottom of the screen to help you control connected devices with ease. An on-screen keyboard shows up automatically when you need to enter text.
- Dual View: Enjoy TV and other multimedia right from your Samsung mobile device that's connected to the Samsung Smart TV. You can even send what you're watching on your mobile device to the TV.
- Game Controller: With this feature, your mobile device can control games on the TV. Full & Simple modes are available. Turn on Gyro function on your mobile device, and control games by tilting your mobile device.
Note: Dual View may not be available on devices with Ice Cream Sandwich OS.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung E8000 series Plasma TV will also support either a USB or Bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately).
5-Way Joy Stick: The television is equipped with a 5-way "joy stick" like button on the bottom right side of the TV's rear-panel that lets you control the TV without the remote control or Smart Interaction.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with the pedestal stand unattached. The pedestal stand attaches to the television using the supplied hardware. The pedestal stand allows the TV to swivel left to right +/- 20°. The television weighs 83.1 lbs with the stand.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 600mm (h) x 400mm (v) in accordance with the industry standards set by the Video Electronics Standards Association. The threaded inserts require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 76 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung Plasma TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The power cord sits 0.375" from the back of the television. The power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.75" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.