Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
A world of cinema-quality 3D entertainment awaits you with the Samsung BD-D5500. Immerse yourself in super-sharp, ultra-realistic images with rich, eye-popping colors from today's hottest Blu-ray discs, as well as tomorrow's new 3D Blu-ray releases. And this player supports the latest high-res Dolby and DTS soundtracks, so you can connect it to your receiver with an HDMI cable to enjoy master-quality surround sound.
Netflix®, PANDORA® Internet radio, and other online options
If you're a fan of Netflix, YouTube, or PANDORA, you can use the 'D5500 to stream your favorite movies and music via your wired Internet connection. Add the optional Wi-Fi® adapter, and you can take advantage of the 'D5500's online capabilities without running Ethernet cable. You can even download optional widgets and catch up with friends on Facebook® or Twitter. Plus the AllShare feature lets you stream content from a compatible computer on your home network, so you can enjoy music, watch videos, or browse pictures using your TV and home theater system.
Get more from your Blu-ray discs
The 'D5500 also supports the BonusView and BD-Live material found on some Blu-ray movies, for picture-in-picture directors' commentaries, behind-the-scenes footage, online games, movie trailers, and more. Just plug a thumb drive into the player's front-panel USB port to save downloaded material.
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, music and social media updates from a number of sources, including Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Flickr, Pandora, and more (subscription required for Netflix service)
- free Samsung remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad® or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- BD-Live Ready requires USB memory drive
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- remote control
- viewing 3D video requires a 3D TV and 3D glasses
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio Essential
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- analog component video output resolution may be limited when viewing copy-protected discs
- audio outputs include stereo and optical digital
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- Wi-Fi ready, requires separate adapter
- 2 USB ports (1 front, 1 rear)
- 16-7/8"W x 1-11/16"H x 9-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Blu-ray Disc players the ultimate picture and sound
Blu-ray players deliver a better picture to your HDTV than any other available source. In fact, Blu-ray's 1080p picture is a perfect match for the 1080p screens found on most current TVs. Blu-ray movies also offer the most precise and realistic surround sound you can get. These players do a terrific job with standard DVDs, too you'll see a cleaner, clearer picture with every disc in your collection. Many Blu-ray players can connect to the Internet for watching online movies from Netflix® and other video services.
Samsung BD-D5500 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Awesome!!! Great for PLEX!!!
This is not a wireless player. That is why I bought it. My router is very close by. Everyone knows that a wired connection is more reliable than wireless. This player works excellent with PLEX. Samsung are the only BD/DVD players where you can download apps from their app store. More than 50% of the time I use this player with PLEX. I use my computer with a wireless PCI card as my server. The other half I watch 3D Blu-Ray movies and regular Blu-ray movies which look great. I use a High Speed v1.4 HDMI cable 10.2 Gbps, a must for 3D. The wireless version of this player is the BD-D6500
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Does a fine job at playing DVDs and BluRay. Great picture. Although, the UI leaves a lot to be desired. Slow and not user friendly. The apps are not that great on a TV, and typing anything is a nightmare.
Pros: Great picture and sound from BluRay as expected.
Cons: UI is slow and cluttered. App store isnt worth using. Netflix is far better on AppleTV.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
A basic player that integrates well with Samsung TV's--3D capable. Quirky on its automatic downloads and updates which can be frustrating. Would not recommend as a direct purchase but it works well as a "free" component in a bundle.
Pros: Came free with my Samsung 59" Plasma bundle.
Cons: Requires additional wireless adapter to connect to home network for downloads and updates. Had issues with the SmartHub needing updates and then spinning until a lock-up occured. Had to reset the machine losing customization and apps...seems ok now.
Need to buy an accessory for wireless
In order to connect it to a wireless network you need to purchase the Samsung LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter. This little guy will not only knock you back $$$(depending on where you buy it), but it ONLY works with this device, so don't assume you can buy any other brand and get it to work. The player itself works just fine. 3D is nice.
What's in the box?
- Single-disc 3D-ready Blu-ray disc player
- AK59-00123A wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4' Composite AV cable
- User Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Online Product Registration information
- "Important: Player Update Information" note
- Pandora brochure
- Blockbuster brochure
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Blockbuster/Hulu+/Netflix/Vudu|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||None|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: The Samsung BD-D5500 3D Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 40 mbps. Blu-ray Discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080/24p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BD-D5500 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware/Software Upgrade: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The player's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the player's software & firmware for these performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways - Internet, USB, Disc, or Downloaded file.
Note: The tested Samsung Blu-ray player contained firmware version 2011/08/05_001015 (as of 11/21/2011). Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
DivX: The Samsung BD-D5500 supports DivX (v.3.11/4.x/5.1/6.0)playback from DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports DivX video with a resolution up to 1920 x 1080 pixels.
MPEG Playback: The Samsung 3D Blu-ray disc player supports playback of MPEG (1-2) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD-R discs.
JPEG Playback: The Samsung 3D Blu-ray disc player supports playback of JPEG still image files recorded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-or RW. JPEG images can be displayed as a slide show. Individual still images can be zoomed (up to 4x) or rotated (clockwise/counter-clockwise).
MP3/WMA Playback: The BD-D5500 supports MP3 (up to 320 kbps) and WMA (5-384 kbps) audio file playback from CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW discs. The player provides Playlist, Repeat (Track/All), and Shuffle playback functions for MP3/WMA audio files.
Video Connections: The Samsung BD-D5500 is equipped with High Definition video outputs (HDMI, Component) and one standard definition video output (composite).
- HDMI: The Samsung 3D Blu-ray player is equipped with an HDMI (v.1.4) output. HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio all in one cable. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p when playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc; also 1080/24p when playing a compatible BD.
- Component Video: The Samsung Blu-ray disc player features a single component video output. When playing Blu-ray the resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i; when playing DVD the resolution can be set to 480i or 480p.
- Composite Video: The Blu-ray disc player also features a single composite video output. The composite video output resolution is always 480i when playing Blu-ray Disc or DVD.
Video Up-conversion: When connected to your TV using the HDMI output, the BD-D5500 scales the output of a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The unit also supports 480p and 480i output if your television is not HD-compatible.
1080/24p: Movies are typically filmed at 24 frames per second and some Blu-ray Discs use the same frame rate. If your TV will accept a 1080/24p signal, the BD-D5500 can pass the signal in its native form, without converting the video.
Full HD 3D: The Samsung BD-D5500 3D Blu-ray disc player supports 3D playback of high-definition 3D Blu-ray discs when connected to a 3D-Ready HDTV via HDMI, along with wearing a pair 3D vision glasses. You can select from three 3D modes to suit your viewing needs.
- Auto: You can choose whether to watch a 3D Blu-ray disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing a 3D Blu-ray disc. It is automatically played in 2D mode if your TV cannot support 3D contents.
- 3D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 3D mode at all times. The original video signal of the 3D image is displayed without any conversion. If a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs, the playing screen will be black.
- 2D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 2D mode at all times. Choose this to view a picture without 3D effects or when a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs.
Deep Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The BD-D5500 must be connected to a Deep Color compatible TV via HDMI for this feature to function.
Progressive Mode: The Samsung Blu-ray disc player provides a Progressive mode to improve picture quality when viewing a DVD movie.
Screen Size: You can enter the actual screen size (up to 116") of your TV, so that the player can adjust the image according to the screen size and display an optimal 3D image.
TV Aspect: You can adjust the video output of the BD-D5500 to match the screen-type of your television. You can choose from 4:3 Letter-Box, 4:3 Pan-Scan, 16:9 Wide, and 16:9 Normal.
BD Wise: BD Wise is Samsung's latest inter-connectivity feature. When you connect Samsung products with BD-Wise to each other via HDMI, the optimum resolution will be set automatically.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Decoding: The BD-D5500 can decode the following Dolby Digital/DTS surround formats - Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio. The player must be connected to a Dolby Digital/DTS surround AV receiver which also supports these same formats via optical or HDMI input. These decoded signals can also be output as multi-channel PCM from the HDMI jack.
Digital Audio Output: You can set the unit's Digital Output (HDMI or Optical) to match the capabilities of your connected AV receiver.
- PCM: Choose if you have connected an HDMI supported AV receiver.
- Bitstream (Unprocessed): Select if you have connected an HDMI supported AV receiver with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding capabilities.
- Bitstream (Re-encode DTS): Choose if you have connected and AV receiver using a Digital Optical input that can decode DTS.
- Bitstream (Re-encode DD): Select if you don't have an HDMI supported AV receiver, but have an AV receiver with Dolby Digital decoding capabilities.
Digital Output/Surround Mode Chart:
|Setup/Connection||PCM||Bitstream (Re-encode)||Bitstream (Unprocessed)|
|HDMI||Optical||HDMI or Optical||HDMI||Optical|
|Blu-ray Audio Stream||PCM||up to 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||PCM||PCM 2ch|
|Dolby Digital||up to 5.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|Dolby Digital Plus||up to 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital|
|Dolby TrueHD||up to 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||Dolby TrueHD||Dolby Digital|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||DTS||DTS|
|DTS-HD HRA||up to 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||DTS-HD HRA||DTS|
|DTS-HD HD MA||up to 7.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS re-encoded||DTS-HD MA||DTS|
|DVD Audio Stream||PCM||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch||PCM 2ch|
|Dolby Digital||up to 5.1ch||PCM 2ch||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||PCM 2ch||DTS||DTS||DTS|
Dynamic Range Control: When movie soundtracks are played at low volume or from smaller speakers, the system can apply appropriate compression to make low-level content more intelligible and prevent dramatic passages from getting too loud. This is only active when a Dolby Digital signal is detected.
Downmixing Mode: You can select how the unit will downmix multi-channel audio into fewer channels.
- Normal Stereo: Downmixes the multi-channel audio into two channel stereo. Choose when connected to equipment that does not support virtual surround functions, such as Dolby Pro Logic.
- Surround Compatible: Dowmixes multi-channel audio into surround compatible stereo. Choose when connected to equipment that supports virtual surround functions, such as Dolby Pro Logic.
Audio Outputs: The Samsung 3D Blu-ray disc player features both analog and digital audio outputs.
- Digital Audio Output: The Blu-ray disc player features an optical digital output. The player's audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the optical digital output; bitstream (Dolby Digital or DTS) or 2-channel PCM.
- Analog Audio: There is a pair of stereo RCA outputs for simply connecting to your television.
Dual USB Ports: The Samsung 3D Blu-ray disc player features a front- and rear-panel USB type-A port. The USB port on the front-panel of the unit allows you to perform software upgrades using a USB flash drive. It can also be used to add more local storage for BD-Live content or playback of MP3 (up to 320 kbps)/WMA (5-384 kbps) audio files, JPEG still image files, and DivX (up to 1920 x 1080) video files. The rear-panel USB port allows you to connect to your network and the internet wirelessly, using the optional proprietary Samsung Wireless LAN adapter (305LINK, sold separately).
Note: A USB device consuming more than 500mA requires a separate power supply device for normal operation.
Network Connection (wired/optional WiFi): You can set up the Samsung 3D Blu-ray player so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (305LINK, sold separately). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods - PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, One Foot, or Manually.
Note: The Blu-ray player's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N wireless LAN networks and WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) network security.
Smart Hub: Once you have connected the BD-D5500 to your home network, you can start using Samsung's Smart Hub interactive menu system. With Smart Hub, you can stream audio/video content from select Internet sites, access various pay or free-of-charge applications, and view them on your TV. Application content includes news, sports, weather forecasts, stock market quotes, maps, photos, and games. The Smart Hub offers the following on-screen menu functions.
- Commercial: Displays the Smart Hub Guide - an introduction to the player and new application introductions.
- Your Video: Provides recommendations for on-line movies based on your tastes. Once you have selected a movie from the recommendation list, you can select which VOD (video-on-demand) provider to use.
- Search: Provides an integrated search for your video providers and connected All Share devices.
- Samsung Apps: You can download various for play or free-of-charge application services.
- Recommended: Displays recommended contents and apps managed by Samsung.
- My Applications: Display your personal gallery of applications which you can add to, modify, and delete.
Note: You must setup a user name and password to activate Smart Hub.
Samsung Apps: Samsung Apps lets you download for pay or free-of-charge applications and services to the Blu-ray disc player and view or use them on your connected TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications - such as videos, music, photos, games, and news. Samsung Apps has a growing collection of pay and free-of-charge online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content - such as movies from Netflix or Blockbuster, TV shows from Hulu Plus, videos from YouTube, Next Level sports information from ESPN, music from Pandora, and social updates from Facebook or Twitter. Once connected to your home network, you can visit the online Samsung Apps store from the TV's Smart Hub menu and download free Apps or purchase advanced applications. The following App categories are available.
- What's New: Displays newly registered applications.
- Video: Displays apps that provide video media - such as movies, TV shows, and short length videos. You can access Netflix (2ch), HuluPlus, Blockbuster, Vudu, YouTube, etc..
- Game: Displays various game apps - such as Monopoly, Sudoku, and Chess.
- Sports: Displays apps that provide sports content - such as game results, images, and highlights. You can access ESPN, Associated Press, and USA Today.
- Lifestyle: Includes apps that provide lifestyle media services - such as music (Pandora/Napster/Vtuner), personal photo management tools (Picasa), and social networking - like Facebook and Twitter.
- Information: Includes apps that provide information content - such as news, financial information, stock quotes, and weather.
- Other: Includes other miscellaneous apps.
- My Account: Displays the application list and your cyber cash balance.
- Help: For questions about Samsung Apps.
Note: Smart Apps require an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5mbps or greater. Some application services may be provided in English only and the content available may vary, depending on your area.
AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung Blu-ray disc player's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (DivX), photos (JPEG), and listen to music (MP3) saved on your Windows PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or the optional Samsung Wireless LAN adapter. This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free at www.samsung.com. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The BD-D5500 features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the internet via your home network, and features USB (type-A) port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's USB slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
Stylish Design: The Samsung BD-D5500 features a slim, simple, stylish design with a high-gloss black finish. The 3D Blu-ray disc player also includes front-panel touch-sensitive controls for simple operation.
Ultra-Fast Play: Ultra Fast Play speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Samsung Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 7.6 seconds. It takes approximately 35.1 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Parental Lock: The Parental Lock function works in conjunction with Blu-ray Disc/DVDs that have been assigned a rating which helps you control the types of Blu-ray Discs/DVDs that your family watches. There are up to 8 ratings levels on a disc. The rating levels are protected by a customer user 4-digit password.
Dimmer: The unit's display offers three dimmer settings - Automatic, Dim, and Bright. The Automatic setting automatically dims the display during playback and brightens the display when stopped.
Screen Saver: If you leave the player in the stop mode for more than 5 minutes without using it, a screen saver will appear on the TV. If the player is left in the screen saver more for more than 20 minutes, the power will automatically turn off.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on multiple brand TVs. Once programmed, the remote controls the TV's power on/off, input select, volume up/down, channel up/down, and mute. The remote's playback buttons glow in the dark so its easier to use late at night.
Note: This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel, and Volume buttons for the visually impaired.
Anynet+: Anynet+ is an AV network system that enables compatible Samsung components connected by HDMI cables to transfer command codes along with video and audio signals.
Note: Anynet+ supports up to 12 A/V devices in total. You can only connect up to 3 devices of the same type