Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Samsung's compact HT-E5400 home theater system gives you loads of entertainment options for your living room. You can experience spectacular Blu-ray picture quality, in 3D or 2D, complete with the engaging surround sound of a five-speaker system. You can also watch movies and listen to music from popular online services like Netflix® and Pandora® Internet radio or play your favorite tunes from your iPod® or iPhone®.
Get the best picture and sound with Blu-rayThe receiver's built-in Blu-ray player delivers a stunning high-definition picture that'll look great on your HDTV. It'll also deliver exciting 3D pictures to a compatible TV when you play 3D Blu-ray discs. This system supports the newest surround sound formats, like Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD® Master Audio, for realistic wraparound sound to match the picture. And it has a built-in iPod dock, so you can enjoy easy access to your digital music collection.
Enjoy Netflix®, Pandora® Internet radio, and moreThe 'E5400 lets you stream online movies and music right to your living room via a broadband Internet connection. Now you'll never run out of entertainment. To get started, just hook the receiver up to your existing home network with an Ethernet cable or use the built-in Wi-Fi®.
Easy setupYou'll be up and running after just a few simple connections. Plug the player/receiver into your TV with an HDMI cable (not included), and connect the five speakers and subwoofer using the included speaker wire. Dual HDMI inputs add the convenience of switching between Blu-ray and two more HD sources.
- home theater system with 3D Blu-ray Disc player/receiver, 5 speakers, and a subwoofer
- Samsung Smart Blu-ray offers downloadable widgets and apps like Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Flickr, Pandora® Internet radio, and more (subscription required for Netflix and Blockbuster service)
- built-in Wi-Fi for easy connection to your home network
- includes iPod/iPhone dock with audio and video support
- Samsung AllShare streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- plays 3D Blu-ray discs, standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, MP3 CDs, and JPEG CDs
- selectable 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p output via HDMI
- video upconversion for standard DVD playback via HDMI
- 2D to 3D conversion
- built-in decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD®, Dolby® Pro Logic® II, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- 6-channel amplifier (165 watts x 4 for main and rear speakers, 170 watts x 2 for center speaker and subwoofer)
- Crystal Amp Pro technology improves sound quality
- USB port for connecting an optional thumb drive or hard drive
- Ethernet port
- audio inputs include RCA stereo and optical digital
- video outputs include composite video and HDMI
- receiver: 16-15/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 11-1/4"D
- front speakers: 3-9/16"W x 5-9/16"H x 2-3/4"D (each)
- center channel speaker: 14-1/4"W x 2-15/16"H x 2-3/4"D
- rear speakers: 3-9/16"W x 5-9/16"H x 2-3/4"D (each)
- subwoofer: 6-13/16"W x 13-7/8"H x 11-1/4"D
Transform your TV experience
Enjoy rich, robust sound that puts you right in the middle of your favorite movies, TV shows, and video games. Powered home theater systems come with speakers and a subwoofer plus the amplification to drive them. Many of these systems feature low-profile consoles and ultra-compact speakers for minimal visual clutter. Some include a built-in Blu-ray/DVD player for enjoying movie and concert discs.
Samsung HT-E5400 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Equalizer settings not available.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The system is a Blue Ray DVD and surround sound system that played and had good sound. When I went to the equalizer settings for the system it said that this feature is not available. For a sound system not be able to control the treble and base when needed is not acceptable. Also to get to the equalizer settings you would have to be in playback mode. It was not accessible while watching TV. Very disappointed.
Hey, this is just a pat on the back for the techs at this company, the humps in the warehouse, an everybody in between. I love dealing wth these people. No nonsense, just professional pure and simple. NO I DON"T WORK HERE OR KNOW ANYBODY THAT DOES!! ooops, sorry, lol
This is great unit. I had a similar Sony and it had nothing but problems, and when the Sony did work it didn't sound as good as the Samsung. This puts out great sound in the apartment, it starts quickly and the picture and sound are fantastic. No bugs at all so far.
Pros: Sounds great, 2 HDMI in, 1 out for easy switching. Speakers are short so if you place in front of a tv they likely wont block the screen depending on how short you stand is. Can delete pandora stations from the interface, unlike Sony.
Cons: Pandora layout kinda stinks, they use a "tab" layout instead of a grid. The should fix this via software update, we'll see. Same proprietary speaker wires that other systems use. Has a proprietary connection for the back of the receiver and two bare wires that go into the 5 speakers. The subwoofer is different, so if you need a longer cable than what is provided you will actually have to cut and splice the subwoofer cord with speaker wire inbetween. It makes a sudden jerking sound on startup
What's in the box?
- Integrated Blu-ray disc/receiver (HT-E5400)
- Passive subwoofer (PS-EW2-2) with attached 13' length of speaker wire
- 4 Matching satellite speakers (PS-ES3-1)
- Center Speaker (PS-EC2-1)
- Remote control (AH59-02402A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- iPod dock
- Two 13' lengths of speaker wire (with a proprietary connector on one end and bare-tinned wire on other end)
- 10' length of speaker wire (with a proprietary connector on one end and bare-tinned wire on other end)
- Two 33' lengths of speaker wire (with a proprietary connector on one end and bare-tinned wire on other end)
- 6.5' Composite video cable
- FM wire antenna
- Ferrite Core
- Cleaning cloth
- User Manual
- Quick Installation Guide
- Digital Television Transition Notice
- Player Update Information notice
- Samsung contact information
- BlockBuster On Demand brochure
Disc Compatibility: The Samsung HTE-5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD 3D, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 40 mbps. Blu-ray Discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080/24p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The HT-E5400 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware/Software Upgrade: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The unit's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the system's software & firmware for these performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade in four ways; Internet, USB, Disc, or Downloaded file.
Note: The tested Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System contained firmware version 2011/12/23_001002 (as of 3/29/2012). There was an immediate firmware version update available (2011/12/23_001005). Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware/Software updates.
Video File Support: The Samsung HTE-5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System supports the following video files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD-R discs.
|Video Codec||Resolution||Frame Rate (fps)||Bitrate (Mpbs)|
|MPEG4 SP/ASP||1920 x 1080||6-30||20|
|H.263||720 x 480||10|
|Windows Media Video v9||1920 x 1080||25|
|MPEG2||24, 25, or 30|
|MPEG1||352 x 288||24 or 25||20|
Music File Support: The Samsung HTE-5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System supports the following music files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, and CD-R/RW discs.
|Audio Codec||Sampling Rates (kHz)||Bitrate (kbps)|
|MP3 (.mp3)||N/A||up to 320 kbps|
|WMA (.wma)||8, 11, 16, 22, 32, 44.1, or 48||5-384|
Photo File Support: The Samsung HTE-5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System supports JPEG still-image files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, and CD-R/RW discs.
Start Up Time: The Samsung HT-E5400 has a start-up time of approximately 12.5 seconds, and takes approximately 26.5 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Parental Lock: The Parental Lock function works in conjunction with Blu-ray Disc/DVDs that have been assigned a rating which helps you control the types of Blu-ray Discs/DVDs that your family watches. There are up to 8 ratings levels on a disc. The rating levels are protected by a customer user 4-digit password.
HDMI ver.1.4: The Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System is equipped with single HDMI (v.1.4) output and dual HDMI (v.1.4) inputs. HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio all in one cable.
- HDMI Out: The HDMI output resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p when playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc; also 1080/24p when playing a compatible BD. The player's HDMI output supports 3D video.
- Dual HDMI Inputs: The two HDMI inputs on the rear-panel of the Blu-ray player let you increase the number of HDMI-compatible devices you can connect to your TV. The player will pass video (up to 1080P) and audio (up to 7.1ch) from the HDMI 1/2 inputs to the HDMI output.
Composite Video Output: The HT-E5400 also features a single composite video output. The composite video output resolution is always 480i when playing Blu-ray Disc or DVD.
1080/24p: Movies are typically filmed at 24 frames per second and some Blu-ray Discs use the same frame rate. If your TV will accept a 1080/24p signal, the built-in Blu-ray Home Theater System can pass the signal in its native form, without converting the video.
DVD Upscaling via HDMI: When connected to your TV using the HDMI output, the HT-E5400 scales the output of a standard DVD signal (480i) to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The unit also supports 480p and 480i output if your television is not HD-compatible.
Progressive Mode: The Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System provides a Progressive mode to improve picture quality when viewing a DVD movie.
Full HD 3D: The Samsung HT-E5400 supports 3D playback of high-definition 3D Blu-ray discs when connected to a 3D-Ready HDTV via HDMI, along with wearing a pair 3D vision glasses. You can select from four 3D modes to suit your viewing needs.
- Auto: You can choose whether to watch a 3D Blu-ray disc in 3D or 2D mode before playing a 3D Blu-ray disc. It is automatically played in 2D mode if your TV cannot support 3D contents.
- 3D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 3D mode at all times. The original video signal of the 3D image is displayed without any conversion. If a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs, the playing screen will be black.
- 2D: The 3D Blu-ray disc is played in 2D mode at all times. Choose this to view a picture without 3D effects or when a TV cannot support 3D Blu-ray discs.
- 2D-3D: When you play 2D video content, you can convert 2D into 3D video. Two-dimensional 1080p video content output as 1080p 3D. All other 2D video signals are output at 720p 3D. Smart Hub 2D content cannot be converted to 3D.
Screen Size: You can enter the actual screen size (up to 116") of your TV, so that the Blu-ray Home Theater System can adjust the image according to the screen size and display an optimal 3D image.
TV Aspect: You can adjust the video output of the HT-E5400 to match the screen-type of your television. You can choose from 4:3 Letter-Box, 4:3 Pan-Scan, 16:9 Wide, and 16:9 Original.
AV Sync: Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms (in 25ms increments).
Deep Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The HT-E5400 must be connected to a Deep Color compatible TV via HDMI for this feature to function.
BD Wise: BD Wise is Samsung's latest inter-connectivity feature. When you connect Samsung products with BD-Wise to each other via HDMI, the optimum resolution will be set automatically.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
5.1 Channel Amplifier: The Samsung HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System features a 5.1 channel amplifier which delivers 165-watts per channel to the front & rear speakers, and 170-watts per channel to the center-channel & subwoofer speaker.
Crystal Amp Plus: Samsung's Crystal Amplifier Plus filters sound distortion and noise to provide sound quality like that of a professional hi-fi audio system. The Crystal Amplifier is engineered with Noise Compensation technology to eliminate distracting distortion by quickly sensing signal changes and enhancing response speed. Resulting in audio that's rich, realistic, and accurate.
Speaker Setting: You can adjust the level (+/-6 dB), distance (1-30') of each speaker.
Equalizer: You can configure the speaker system's equalizer settings manually to your preference. The HT-E5400 features a 7-band EQ (250Hz, 600Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 6kHz, 10khz, 15kHz) that can adjusted from -6 dB to +6dB.
Surround Modes: The Samsung HT-E5400 can decode Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II surround formats; along with DSP sound field effects. The Samsung HT-E5400 supports the following surround formats.
|Dolby Pro Logic||II||Dolby Pro Logic II provides discrete 5.1 channels out of 2 channel or multi-channel sources. You choose from Music, Movie, Pro Logic, Matrix, or Stereo mode.|
|Dolby Digital||DD||Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format which consists of front (left/right), center, surround (left/right) and sub-woofer channels.|
|Plus||Dolby Digital Plus is the next-generation audio technology for all high-definition programming and media.|
|TrueHD||Dolby True-HD is Dolby's next-generation of lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media.|
|DTS||DTS||DTS provides a discrete 5.1 CH digital audio signal for both music and movie contents and uses less compression than Dolby Digital for richer sound.|
|HD||DTS-HD Audio provides the high quality multi-channel sound possible. It delivers sound quality that matches the clear and vivid images of high-definition video.|
|96/24||DTS 96/24 encodes standard 16-bit/44.1 kHz sound to 24-bit/96 kHz and applies it to a 5.1ch soundtrack.|
|SFE (Sound Field Effect)||The Samsung HT-E5400 utilizes a 32-bit audio digital signal processor to provide soundfield effect modes with more realistic surround sound from normal stereo audio sources. You can choose from Symphony Hall, Philharmonic Hall, Jazz Club, Church, Amphitheater (Rock), or Off.|
Note: 7.1 channel surround formats will be downmixed to 5.1-channels since this system has no surround back speakers.
Special Effects: The Samsung HT-E5400 offer unique special effects modes to make your music and movie soundtracks come to life.
- 3D Sound: You can enjoy more natural and vivid surround sound with enriched tones by adjusting the depth of sound.
- Virtual 7.1: This feature applies a 7.1ch virtual surround sound effect using this 5.1ch speaker system.
- Power Bass: This function stresses low tones providing extremely low-bass sound effects.
- MP3 Enhancer: The MP3 Enhancer provides a better listening experience from low-quality MP3 compressed audio. You can upscale your MP3 level sound (24kHz/8-bit) to CD level sound (44.1kHz/16-bit).
Smart Volume: Smart Volume regulates and stabilizes the volume level against a drastic volume change when changing channels or during a scene transition.
DRC: You can use the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) function to enjoy Dolby Digital sound when watching movies at low volume during the night. DRC compresses the audio to make the loudest sounds quieter and the quietest sounds louder.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Audio Connections: The Samsung HT-E5400 features both analog (stereo RCA) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
- Digital Input: The unit equipped with one optical digital input for connecting the audio of your cable/satellite receiver box.
- Analog Input: The unit features one stereo analog audio input for connecting an external audio source.
FM Tuner: The Samsung BD receiver features a built-in FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 15 FM preset stations.
Note: This receiver does not feature an AM tuner.
Network Connection (wired/wireless): You can set up the Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System so that it can access your home network and online Samsung Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi). You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; PBC (WPS), Auto Network Search, One Foot, or Manually.
Note: The Blu-ray Home Theater System's built-in WiFi supports IEEE 802.11A/B/G/N wireless LAN networks and WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) network security.
Smart Hub: Once you have connected the HT-E5400 to your home network, you can start using Samsung's Smart Hub interactive menu system. With Smart Hub, you can stream audio/video content from select Internet sites, access various pay or free-of-charge applications, and view them on your TV. Application content includes news, sports, weather forecasts, stock market quotes, maps, photos, and games. The Smart Hub offers the following on-screen menu functions.
- Commercial: Displays the Smart Hub Guide - an introduction to the Blu-ray Home Theater System and new application introductions.
- Your Video: Provides recommendations for on-line movies based on your tastes. Once you have selected a movie from the recommendation list, you can select which VOD (video-on-demand) provider to use.
- Search: Provides an integrated search for your video providers and connected All Share devices.
- Samsung Apps: You can download various for play or free-of-charge application services.
- Recommended: Displays recommended contents and apps managed by Samsung.
- Family Story: Effortless way to access family content. Provides access to family photos, messages, and events.
- Fitness: Provides a gateway to the Unified Self-Car Service. Presents fitness videos from various content partners with feedback on calories burned after every workout.
- Kids: Kids service gives kids an easy and safe way to enjoy their favorite content.
- My Applications: Display your personal gallery of applications which you can add to, modify, and delete.
Samsung Apps: Samsung Apps lets you download for pay or free-of-charge applications and services to the Blu-ray Home Theater System and view or use them on your connected TV. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications; such as videos, music, photos, games, and news. Samsung Apps has a growing collection of pay and free-of-charge online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content; such as movies from Netflix or Blockbuster, TV shows from Hulu Plus, videos from YouTube, music from Pandora, and social updates from Facebook or Twitter. Once connected to your home network, you can visit the online Samsung Apps store from the TV's Smart Hub menu and download free Apps or purchase advanced applications. The following App categories are available.
Description and Listings
|What's New||Displays newly registered applications.|
|Video||Displays apps that provide video media; such as movies, TV shows, and short length videos. You can access Netflix 5.1, Vudu, HuluPlus, Blockbuster On-Demand, Flixter, CinemaNow, YouTube, AOL HD, etc..|
|Game||Displays various game app; such as Memory, Sudoku, and Texas Hold'em.|
|Sports||Displays apps that provide sports content and exercise work outs. You can access MLB, NHL, or College for sports; and Push-Ups, Six-Pack, or Yoga for workouts.|
|Lifestyle||Includes apps that provide lifestyle media services; such as music (Pandora/vTuner), personal photo management tools (Picasa), and social networking )Facebook/Twitter/Google Talk).|
|Information||Includes apps that provide information content; such as news (CNBC/USA Today), weather (accuweather), and maps (Google maps).|
|Education||Includes educational apps for kids.|
|My Account||Displays the application list and your cyber cash balance.|
|Help||For questions about Samsung Apps.|
Note: Smart Apps require an Internet connection with a speed of 1.5mbps or greater. Some application services may be provided in English only and the content available may vary, depending on your area. Visit Samsung's App Guide for a complete list of available Samsung Apps.
Disc-to-Digital (via Flixter): Disc-to-Digital (via Flixter) lets you upload you DVD movies to your own personal, Internet Disc-to-Digital repository and then stream them in HD format to other Internet connected devices; including smartphone, tablets, laptops, and Smart TVs. Before you can stream a DVD movie to other Internet connected devices, you must register the movie using the Blu-ray Home Theater System's Disc-to-Digital software and purchase the right to stream it to other devices. Visit flixster.com to create your own account.
Note: Disc-to Digital only works with commercial DVD movies. It does not support Blu-ray discs, Audio-CDs, or data discs. Some commercial DVD discs purchased outside of your region or that do not meet required specifications may not be supported by this function.
Web Browser (powered by Google): You can access the internet using the Blu-ray Home Theater System's Web Brower application (powered by Google). You can search by URL address or keywords. The Blu-ray Home Theater System will archive your web browser history by Date, Name, or Frequency. You can also save "Favorite" web pages and create a "Home" page. The Web Browser can be accessed from the Smart Hub menu. The Web Browser is maximized to fill your connected TV's screen.
Note: The Web Browser is not compatible with Java applications. The playback of Flash videos is not supported. E-commerce, for purchasing products online is not supported. ActiveX is not supported.
AllShare/DLNA Certified: The Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System's AllShare function, along with its DLNA Certification allow you to watch videos (MPEG), photos (JPEG), and listen to music (MP3/WMA) saved on your Windows PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Note: Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free at www.samsung.com. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The HT-E5400 features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the internet via your home network, and features USB (type-A) port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's USB slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Samsung Blu-ray Home Theater System features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows playback of MP3/WMA audio files, JPEG still-image files, and MKV video files stored on a USB mass storage class device. Your USB device must be formatted in FAT16, FAT32, or NTFS. The USB port also allows you to perform software upgrades using a USB flash drive. In addition, it can be used to add more local storage for BD-Live content.
Note: A USB device consuming more than 500mA requires a separate power supply device for normal operation.
iPod/iPhone/iPad Connection: The Samsung HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System provides two-types of connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- USB Port: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The USB connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your Apple device. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the system's on-screen menu and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Song/artist information and Album Art will display on your connected TV. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged (max. 0.5A) while connected.
- External Dock: The Samsung HT-E5400 also comes with an external iPod/iPhone dock which allows you to listen to audio and watch video from select iPods/iPhones through the Blu-ray Home Theater System and your connected TV. To playback video, you must make a composite video connection between this unit and your TV. The included iPod/iPhone dock offers basic control via the included remote (Play/Pause, Stop, Previous/Next), and charging of your connected iPod/iPhone. The external dock does not support the iPad.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The Samsung HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System is "made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following models and functions (as of 3/29/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
5 Speakers + Passive Subwoofer: The Samsung HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System includes 4 matching satellite speakers for the front & rear channels, a center-channel speaker, and a 5.25" passive subwoofer.
4 Matching Satellite Speakers: The 4 matching satellite speakers (Front/Rear) feature a 2.75" full-range driver inside a bass-reflex, gloss-black enclosure with two rear-firing ports (the speakers have no grilles). The satellite speakers are designed to be mounted vertically at the front & rear of your room. The satellite speakers can be placed on a shelf or optional speaker stands. Each satellite speaker also features a key-hole slot which allows you to mount the speakers on a wall. The satellite speakers feature spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire.
Center Channel Speaker: The center-channel speaker features two 2" woofers and one 0.75" tweeter inside a bass-reflex, gloss-black enclosure with two rear-firing ports (the speaker has no grille). The center-channel speaker is designed to be mounted horizontally under or over your TV. The center-channel speaker can be placed on a table-top or shelf. The center-channel speaker also features two key-hole slots which allow you to mount the speaker on a wall. The center-channel speaker features spring-clip terminals to attach the included speaker wire.
Passive Subwoofer: The passive subwoofer features a side-firing 5.25" woofer inside a bass-reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port. The passive subwoofer features a vinyl-wrapped black cabinet with a non-removable cloth grille. The passive subwoofer features spring-clip terminals on the rear-panel to attach the included speaker wire. The subwoofer crossover is fixed inside the system's AV receiver.
Speaker Terminals: The Samsung integrated Blu-ray disc/receiver features color-code 2-prong proprietary connectors for all speaker output connections (Front, Center, Surround, and Subwoofer). In addition, the HT-E5400 includes color-coded speaker wire for simple connection of the system.
Optional Wireless Receiver Module: To connect the system's surround speaker wirelessly, you can purchase the Samsung wireless receiver module and TX card (SWA-5000, sold separately).
IR Remote: The Samsung HT-E5400 includes an IR remote control which allows you to operate all the functions of the home theater system and is pre-programmed to operate Samsung TVs. The remote can also be programmed to operate other manufacture's TVs. The remote includes Glow-in-the-Dark playback functions. The remote control can be used up to approximately 23 feet in a straight line. It can also be operated at a horizontal angle of up to 30-degrees from the unit's front-panel remote control sensor.
Note: This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel, and Volume buttons for the visually impaired.
Anynet+: Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Samsung Remote App: The free Samsung Remote App provides WiFi remote control over the HT-E5400 Blu-ray Home Theater System through your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad (running iOS 4.2+), or Android smartphone (2.1+). The Samsung Remote App provides playback functions for the built-in Blu-ray player, control functions for your connected Samsung TV, control over the Smart Hub menu, a virtual keyboard for entering text, and navigation of menu settings. Your compatible Apple or Android device must be connected to the same network as the Samsung HT-E5400 system.