Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Add thrilling wraparound sound to all your movies, TV shows, music, and video games with the Samsung HW-C700. This sleek-looking receiver powers seven home theater speakers and gives you decoding for the latest high-resolution surround formats available with many Blu-ray players and discs. It also boasts HDMI connections for simplified switching among four high-def components, including compatibility with newly arrived 3D Blu-ray players and TVs. Sophisticated auto speaker calibration makes precise system setup a snap. And the included dock lets you enjoy your iPod® or iPhone® together with your home theater.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 120 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.9% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Pro Logic® IIz
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video
- Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial
- five audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 1 audio-only input
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp inputs
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- iPod®/iPhone® integration with included Samsung iPod dock
- A/V remote
- 30 FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/2"H x 15-11/16"D
- weight: 14 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Receivers: Your ticket to sensational sound
Your receiver powers your speakers and lets you connect and select your entertainment sources. But a great receiver does a lot more it ignites your emotions. From the passion of a favorite musical artist, to the crossfire of a super-charged movie soundtrack, to the intensity and immersion of a fast-paced video game, your receiver is the key to experiencing and enjoying it in full.
Samsung HW-C700 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
really disappointed with this product. bought this to upgrade from my Sony
surround system i bought 6 years ago and the Sony one sounds better and is
easier to use. getting the speakers to work in surround the way i want them to
has been impossible for me. i hope once i figure it out i wont still wish i
hadn't bought this receiver
Nice box, but not for me
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This is a really nice receiver for the price but after i bought it, I found it wasn't what i was
looking for. This is my first HDMI receiver and didn't realize what features I really needed
until i didn't have them. To be specific, this receiver has no HDMI pass through like
some others have which means you cannot watch tv without turning this on. I was also
unable to play a cd while watching tv (am i the only one who does this? this question
seemed to stump a lot of the Crutchfield team). I called the Crutchfield team many
times to try and figure things out and they were AWESOME! We finally decided this was
not the receiver for me and I decided to upgrade a bit to the Onkyo TXSR608 which was
on sale at the time. They graciously accepted my return and got the new box the other
day. I am now very happy. CRUTCHFIELD ROCKS! I'll never buy stereo gear anywhere
Good sound, lacking the year to date technology
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This unit has a great sound and alot of features, the instruction for this product is limited and it makes it very hard to use the surround settings. The real bummer is that it will not support the ARC (audio return channel) through the hdmi. Which all of the new samsung tv support and brag about. I put all my equipment in the back of my room connecting it with a inwall hdmi 1.4, very annoying with out the ARC. Also not to mention that if i want to watch videos via my Ipod/Iphone you have to connect it with the rca's rendering it useless for my application. decent product and the anynet works good, But i have to admit the anynet is what sold me on this and i would much rather scrap that and have the features this product should have.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The unit does an adequate job for the price. It does not support banana clips on speaker wire (I was told it does) which required me to remove those from my speaker wires. This will be a non-issue for most users in this price range, as they will be connecting bare speaker wire.
I selected the unit to have an easier interface with a Samsung Blu-Ray TV and Blu-Ray player. The unit does power on when the Blu-Ray is turned on, but does not seem to turn itself off as it should. The remote feels relatively cheap as compared to the TV or Blu-Ray remote from Samsung. The FM radio input cannot be switched to if the TV is on, which I believe to be a design flaw or HDMI interface problem. If you are not using HDMI, I doubt you will experience this problem.
The sound quality is not quite as good as the $500 Onkyo receiver it replaced, but certainly good enough for a bedroom with a 5 speaker (small speaker) sound system and external woofer from Polk Audio.
Though I was not particularly impressed, I would still recommend the unit if you are using other Samsung components, are not an audiophile, and simply want an inexpensive home theater receiver that is lightweight, doesn't generate excessive heat, and doesn't require a lot of setup (I did not find it necessary to touch most of the setup options.)
I was a little skeptical about getting this receiver, because i didn't know how it would pair up
with my Bose Acoustimass 10, A samsung 3D Blu-Ray, 3D Samsung TV, and a PS3. it
worked great! plus i have a giant room which makes everything go BOOM! very very easy to
setup, anyone could! i would recommend this to anyone.
What's in the box?
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (AH59-02307A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- iPod dock
- Setup microphone (with attached 16.5' cable terminated by a minijack connector)
- FM wire antenna
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Contact Info
- Online Product Registration note
Features and Specs
7.2 Channel AV Receiver: The Samsung HW-C700 is a 7.2 channel AV receiver with a built-in 7-channel amplifier rated at 120 with 2 channels driven (at 6-ohm, 20-20kHz, THD = 0.9%) and 2 subwoofer preamp outputs.
Crystal Amp Pro: Samsung's Crystal Amplifier Pro filters sound distortion and noise to provide sound quality like that of a professional hi-fi audio system.
Surround Modes: The Samsung HW-C700 supports the following surround formats.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Dolby Pro Logic IIx provides discrete 7.1 channels out of 2 channel or multi-channel sources. It also provides Music, Movie, Game, and Matrix modes.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz: Dolby Pro Logic IIz adds front height channels to surround sound, creating a 7.1 playback system for video games, home music, and movies; bringing enhanced spatial effects and enveloping sound.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format which consists of front (left/right), center, surround (left/right) and sub-woofer channels.
- Dolby Digital EX: Adds a surround back channel for more spacious sound compared to regular 5.1 channel Dolby Digital.
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus is the next-generation audio technology for all high-definition programming and media.
- Dolby Digital True-HD: Dolby True-HD is Dolby's next-generation of lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media.
- DTS: DTS provides a discrete 5.1 CH digital audio signal for both music and movie contents and uses less compression than Dolby Digital for richer sound.
- DTS-ES (Extended Surround): The DTS-ES system is a new multi-digital signal format which supports full compatibility with the conventional DTS digital surround sound format, and improves the surround signal for a 360-degree surround effect. DTS-ES add an addition rear center surround channel for 6.1 channel sound.
- DTS-HD (Master Audio/High Resolution): DTS-HD Audio provides the high quality multi-channel sound possible. It delivers sound quality that matches the clear and vivid images of high-definition video.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 encodes standard 16-bit/44.1 kHz sound to 24-bit/96 kHz and applies it to a 5.1ch soundtrack.
- DTS NEO:6: Provides a full-range of 6 channels b converting a digital PCM or analog stereo signal using DTS digital matrix decoding. You can choose from a Music or Movie mode.
Pro Logic IIx (Music) Settings: You can make the following sound adjustments in the Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music) mode.
- Panorama: This mod extends the front stereo image to include the surround speakers for an exciting "wraparound" effect with side wall imaging.
- Dimension: Incrementally adjusts the DSP soundfield from the front or surround.
- C-Width: This sets the width of the center sound image.
SFE (Sound Field Effect:) The Samsung HW-C700 utilizes a 32-bit audio digital signal processor to provide soundfield effect modes with more realistic surround sound from normal stereo audio sources. You can choose from Stereo, Hall 1, Hall 1, Jazz Club, Church, Rock, Classic, Live, Game, Movie, Concert, or Stadium.
Two Channel Modes: The AV receiver provides two 2-channel modes.
- Stereo: Outputs sound of the select source in 2 channel stereo.
- S.Direct: Outputs 2 channel PCM audio signal without any signal processing, providing higher audio quality. This is useful for obtaining the best sound from a connected CD or SACD player.
MP3 Enhancer: The MP3 Enhancer provides a better listening experience from low-quality MP3 compressed audio.
Auto Sound Calibration (ASC): Auto Sound Calibration makes sure you're hearing optimal sound by automatically configuring the speakers and subwoofer. Simply plug the included ASC microphone into the receiver's front-panel mic input, place microphone next to your favorite viewing spot, and press the ASC button on the remote control. The ASC function will automatically recognize the distance between speakers, levels between channels, and frequency characteristics to create a 7.1-channel soundfield optimized for your environment.
Manual Speaker Setup: In addition to the receiver's Auto Sound Calibration function, you can also choose to setup your speaker system manually.
- Speaker Size: Front (Large/Small), Center/Surround/Surround-Back/Front-Height (Large/Small/None), Subwoofer (Yes/No)
- Crossover: You can adjust the high-pass crossover frequency for the speakers that are set to "Small". You can choose from 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, or 200 Hz.
- Speaker Distance: You can adjust the distance from speaker and the subwoofer to your listening position. You can select 1-30' (in 1' increments).
- Speaker Level: You can adjust the level of each speaker channel from -10 to +10 dB (in 1dB increments).
Tone Control: The AV receiver allows you to adjust the bass and treble independently from -6 to +6dB (in 1dB increments).
Smart Volume: Smart Volume regulates and stabilizes the volume level against a drastic volume change when changing channels or during a scene transition.
DRC: You can use the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) function to enjoy Dolby Digital sound when watching movies at low volume during the night. DRC compresses the audio to make the loudest sounds quieter and the quietest sounds louder.
Speaker Outputs: The Samsung AV receiver features color-code binding posts for all speaker output connections (Front, Surround, Surround Back/Front Height, and Center). The receiver will accommodate speakers with a 6-8 ohm impedance.
Multi-Channel Inputs: The Samsung HW-C700 is equipped with a 7.1 channel input (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back, and Subwoofer) for use with an external multi-channel decoder source, such as SA-CD or DVD Audio.
Digital Inputs: The Samsung AV receiver is equipped with 4 rear-panel digital audio inputs. The receiver features 3 optical digital inputs and 1 coaxial digital input.
FM Tuner: The Samsung HW-C700 features a built-in FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 30 FM preset stations.
Note: This receiver does not feature an AM tuner.
Headphone Output: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
High-Definition Video Inputs/Outputs: The Samsung HW-C700 is equipped with 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI monitor output, 2 Component Video inputs, and 1 Component Video output.
- HDMI (1.4): The receiver is equipped with 4 HDMI (1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All 4 HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p. There is also an HDMI (1.4) monitor output that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output that are capable of passing high-definition video signals up to 1080i.
Front-Panel AV Input: The Samsung HW-C700 is equipped with a front-panel audio/video input which consists of a composite video input and a stereo RCA input. The composite video input will accept up to a 480i video signal.
3D-Ready: The HW-C700 can pass through 3D video from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI (1.4). You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
AV Sync: Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 240ms (in 10ms increments).
iPod/iPhone Dock: The Samsung HW-C700 comes with an external iPod/iPhone dock which allows you to listen to audio and watch video from select iPods/iPhones through the AV receiver and a connected HDTV. To playback video, you must make a composite video connection between this unit and your TV. The included iPod/iPhone dock provides audio/video playback from the AV receiver, track number and playback time displayed on the receiver's front-panel, basic control via the included remote (Play/Pause, Stop, Previous/Next), and charging of your connected iPod or iPhone. The included dock and AV receiver are "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (April 2010).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote Control||iPod||Song Info||Track Info|
Note: Your iPod/iPhone's controls will be locked when connected during audio playback in iPod Audio mode. If you switch to iPod Video mode, you will be able control audio and video functions from your iPod's touchscreen or clickwheel. No song/artist information is displayed on the unit's front-panel or connected TV. Apple firmware updates may change functionality results.
Sleep Timer: You can set the time that is unit will shut itself off. You can set the Sleep Timer to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the unit's front-panel display. You can set the dimmer function to Dark or Bright.
Low Power Consumption Setup: This function enhances electric power efficiency by 30%.
ENERGY STAR Compliant: By being ENERGY STAR compliant you are assured that this Samsung product is helping the environment by using less energy while saving you money. ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy promoting energy efficiency.
Software Upgrades: Samsung may offer upgrades for the AV receiver's firmware in the future. Upgrades will be possible by downloading firmware upgrades to a USB thumbdrive and connecting the thumbdrive to the receiver's rear-panel USB port (service/firmware only).
IR Remote: The Samsung AV receiver includes an IR remote control which allows you to operate all the functions of the AV receiver and is preprogrammed to operate Samsung TV's and Blu-ray/DVD players. The remote can also be programmed to operate other manufacture's TVs and DVD players. The remote includes Glow-in-the-Dark playback functions for a Samsung Blu-ray/DVD player. The remote control can be used up to approximately 23 feet in a straight line. It can also be operated at a horizontal angle of up to 30-degrees from the unit's front-panel remote control sensor.
Note: This remote control has Braille points on the Power, Channel, and Volume buttons for the visually impaired.
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Function: Anynet+ is a function that can be used to operate this AV receiver with a Samsung TV remote control, by connecting the receiver to a compatible Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Note: This function is available only in connection with a Anynet+ compatible Samsung TV and DVD/Blu-ray player.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.