Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
The picture quality on your new HDTV is impressive. But its audio quality doesn't quite make the grade. Experience dynamic, full-bodied sound with Samsung's HW-D550. You'll find yourself drawn into the action with its built-in Dolby® Digital, and DTS® and virtual surround sound processing. You'll love the way it brings the soundtracks of DVDs, Blu-ray discs and high-def TV shows to life. Dual HDMI inputs allow you to switch between your Blu-ray player and HD cable box. No receiver or amplifier required this sound bar has built-in amplification to power its six drivers for clear dialogue and spacious, lifelike effects.
Get ready to rumble
Round out the sound with the included subwoofer. You'll get added depth to music and bass punch to your favorite action movies. And convenience, too its wireless design means you can place this sub anywhere in your room. The sound bar fits easily on a TV stand or cabinet, or you can mount it on your wall using the included bracket for a neat, finished look. At just 2-1/8" deep, it'll look great below today's ultra-slim flat-panel TVs.
A sound bar with musical talent
You can also play your favorite songs through the HW-D550. Connect to the headphone jack of your portable MP3 player and you're all set. And if you have an iPod® or two just add Samsung's convenient wireless control dock and untether your tunes.
- 160 watts (80 watts x 2 peak)
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding and virtual surround processing for a more engaging listening experience
- four 2" midrange drivers
- two 3/4" dome tweeters
- built-in 5.8 GHz transmitter sends audio signals to wireless subwoofer
- wall mounting bracket included
- requires AC power
- weight; 4.4 lbs.
- 41-3/4"W x 3-3/16"H x 2-1/8"D
- 150 watts (peak)
- wireless subwoofer for placement anywhere in the room
- adds bass punch to movie soundtracks, TV shows, and music
- 6" side-firing woofer
- requires AC power
- weight: 12 lbs.
- 7-1/16"W x 14-5/16"H x 11-7/8"D
- 2 HDMI mini inputs, 1 HDMI mini output (connections are mini HDMI type C)
- HDMI cable included to connect your TV (type C mini to type A standard HDMI)
- audio/video switching between two HD components via HDMI
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via included HDMI cable
- 1 analog stereo RCA input (cable included to connect your TV)
- 2 optical digital audio inputs
- minijack input for portable MP3 player
- remote control included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sound bar speakers: room-filling sound with less clutter
Add big sound to your TV without a roomful of speakers. Sound bars require minimal space and wiring, and their sleek designs complement today's flat-panel TVs. Most sound bars have their own built-in amplification, so you won't need to use a home theater receiver. Some models use advanced surround processing and carefully aimed speaker drivers to simulate the effects of a full home theater audio system.
Samsung HW-D550 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The soundbar sounds great. Very good product with easy installation. I live in a manufactured home so you can shake the walls.
Not Happy with functionality
The volume can only be controlled with the sound bar remote, it will not interface with Time Warner remote controls. The cable/sat box cannot control the volume but is necessary for all other functions. Samsung Tech Support confirmed. very poor design.. going back.
Pros: sound quality is pretty good
Cons: This product requires 2 remote controls
Samsung HW-D550: A Great Deal For The Money
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Although not the quality of true "Surround Sound," it is well worth the money. It complements the visual quality of my Hi-Def 55-inch big screen superbly. Whether watching a football game, the news, or tuned into an all-music channel, the sound is crisp, clear and enjoyable to listen to.
Pros: Don't need an Engineering degree to install it; Easy to operate; Great quality sound.
What's in the box?
- AudioBar (HW-D550)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (PS-WD550)
- Remote control (AH59-02330A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Wall-mount bracket
- 59" mini-HDMI to HDMI cable
- 5" Stereo mini-to-RCA cable
- Large ferrite core
- Small ferrite core
- User Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Online Product Registration information
- Samsung Contact info
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.75" dome (2)|
|Midrange||2.0" cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||6" cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Integrated|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||80 x 2|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||150|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-3/16H x 41-3/4W x 2-1/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.41 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-5/16H x 7-1/16W x 11-7/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||12.01 lbs|
Crystal Surround Air Track (Active Speaker System): The Samsung HW-D550 Crystal Surround Air Track System includes an AudioBar and a wireless powered subwoofer. The Samsung HWD-550 is a 2.1-channel audio system that lets you experience a rich, powerful virtual surround sound from two speakers (AudioBar and wireless powered subwoofer). The slim, compact Samsung HW-D550's AudioBar can be mounted on the wall, while the wireless subwoofer can be placed anywhere in the room to achieve maximum audio performance.
AudioBar: The AudioBar is a self-powered, two-channel speaker which provides enveloping virtual surround sound from a single speaker. The AudioBar includes four 2" midrange drivers and two 0.75" soft-dome tweeters housed in a bass-reflex, gloss-black cabinet with two rear-firing ports (the speaker contains no grille). The AudioBar features a built-in 80 watts x 2-channel digital amplifier to drive its speakers.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the AudioBar via 5.8GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered subwoofer features a side-firing 6" woofer inside a bass-reflex, gloss-black cabinet with a rear-firing port. The 6" woofer is powered by a built-in 150 watt amplifier. You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from 1 to 6, using the system's remote controls.
Surround Sound Decoding: The Samsung HW-D550 Crystal Surround Air Track System employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, and SFE.
- Dolby Digital: This is the standard audio signal format used on DVDs, and other purely digital media. This surround technology delivers high-quality digital audio of up to 5.1 discrete channels to produce a directional and more realistic effect.
- DTS: DTS provides a discrete 5.1 channel digital audio signal for both music and movie content and uses less compression than Dolby Digital for richer sound.
- SFE (Sound Field Effect): Using a 32-bit audio digital signal processor the HW-D550 provides a more realistic surround sound with normal stereo audio source. The Samsung HW-D550 offers 7 different sound field modes (News, Drama, Sports, Game, Cinema, Music, and Pass/Original Sound).
3D Depth Sound: The 3D sound feature adds depth and spaciousness to your listening experience.
AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a digital HDTV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
DRC: You can use the DRC (Dynamic Range Compression) function to enjoy Dolby Digital sound when watching movies at low volume during the night. DRC compresses the audio to make the loudest sounds quieter and the quietest sounds louder.
Smart Volume: This function will regulate and stabilize the volume level against a drastic volume change in case of a channel change or scene transition.
ENERGY STAR Compliant: By being ENERGY STAR compliant you are assured that this Samsung product is helping the environment by using less energy while saving you money. ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy promoting energy efficiency
mini-HDMI: The Samsung HW-D550's AudioBar is equipped with two mini-HDMI (type-C) inputs and one mini-HDMI (type-C) output.
- Dual mini-HDMI Inputs: The AudioBar is equipped with two mini-HDMI (type-C) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. The mini-HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p.
- mini-HDMI Output (with ARC): There is also a mini-HDMI (type-C) monitor output which supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the HW-D550 through the same mini-HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: The HW-D550 comes with a single 59" mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.
Audio Inputs: The HW-D550's AudioBar is fitted with both analog (3.5mm) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
- Analog Audio Input: One stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input; comes with a 5' stereo mini-to-RCA cable.
- Dual Digital Audio Inputs: Two optical digital inputs; no cable included.
Optional Wireless iPod Dock: The HW-D550 supports Samsung's wireless iPod/iPhone dock (305HTWDC10, sold separately). The optional wireless iPod/iPhone dock lets you listen to your iPod or iPhone's stored music through the Samsung Crystal Surround Air Track System.
Software Upgrades: Samsung may offer upgrades for the system's firmware in the future. Upgrades will be possible by downloading firmware upgrades to a USB thumbdrive and connecting the thumbdrive to the AudioBar's rear-panel USB port (service/firmware only).
Table-Top or Wall Mount: The AudioBar is designed to be mounted directly below or above your flat-panel HDTV in a horizontal orientation. The AudioBar can be placed on a shelf or table-top. The AudioBar also includes a wall-mount bracket which allows you to fix the speaker to your wall.
Subwoofer Placement: You can place the wireless powered subwoofer up to 33' away from the Audiobar.
Wireless Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-D550 system and can also be used to control your connected Samsung TV. The remote control has a TV hotkey that enables you to perform various operations with the simple press of a button. You can adjust the volume, change the channel, or customize the navigation menu of your Samsung TV.
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) Function: Anynet+ is a function that can be used to operate the HW-D550 with a Samsung TV remote control, by connecting the receiver to a compatible Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
Note: This function is available only in connection with a Anynet+ compatible Samsung TV and DVD/Blu-ray player.