Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Many movie buffs prefer plasma HDTVs because of their realistic colors, deep black levels, and remarkably smooth motion handling. And with the Samsung PN42B450, you can enjoy plasma's lifelike picture quality at a budget-friendly price. You'll also appreciate the stealthy touch-panel controls and red cabinet accent that give this model a clean, refined look.
Enjoy a vivid picture that's not bogged down by motion blur
The PN42B450's high picture contrast means you can turn your room lights a little lower and still enjoy bold black levels and fine shadow detail. Samsung's Wide Color Enhancer 2 delivers eye-catching images with true-to-life colors and natural skin tones. Plus, this HDTV employs sophisticated drive electronics that activate each pixel in a fraction of a millisecond, for motion that's consistently blur-free. And thanks to the FilterBright anti-glare filter, you needn't worry about being distracted by screen reflections during mid-afternoon ballgames.
A wealth of connections expands your viewing options
Samsung designed the PN42B450's "jack pack" with high-definition viewing in mind. It includes two component video inputs, plus three HDMI inputs for hooking up HD satellite receivers, cable boxes, video game consoles, and other components that use this digital connection. The HDMI inputs include Anynet+ control capability, so you can operate both the TV and compatible Samsung gear with a single remote. A composite video input on the side of the set makes it easy to connect your non-HD gear, too.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
Scheduled delivery to your door: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for an additional $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses.
- 42.3" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- 600Hz Subfield Motion anti-blur technology
- FilterBright anti-glare filter
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- Anynet+ simplifies remote control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video (side)
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 3 HDMI v1.3 (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 26"W x 12-1/2"D)
- wall-mountable (wall bracket not included)
- 41-5/8"W x 25-7/8"H x 3-3/4"D (28-3/8"H x 12-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 61.3 lbs. with stand; 53.1 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Samsung PN42B450 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Great choice @ a great price-point
CELL 10, CONTRAST 55, BRIGHTNESS 50, SHARPNESS 0, COLOR 40, TINT G50/R50
I was happy to find extra channels now accessible (I'm using regular expanded basic cable); most major networks have an HD channel alongside with the SD channel. It's like night & day - compared to the HD the SD is for me to poop on! Others have mentioned how the SD picture takes a hit from CRT and it does a little, but it's not bad and certainly watchable. I think it's more when you switch from an HD to SD channel that the quality differences are so easily noticeable. This was one of my main concerns as I don't want to shell out more $ for digital cable. Of course I'm comparing a 27" CRT with a 42" Plasma, so it's not exactly apples to apples here.
Only CON that I can come up with is that the remote is oddly shaped and "bottom-heavy" as somebody else put it.
I've now had the tv a couple weeks and have watched a few dvd movies and plenty of cable and am 100% happy with the set. I am sitting 9-10 feet away and this TV is PLENTY big enough! The image is so crisp I can't imagine 1080p being much of a difference. The internal speakers are adequate at best; I use them for regular tv and my stereo for movies. The SRS surround really doesn't do anything surround-wise, just sounds different. The TV has now shed light on how inadequate my cheap 20-year old tower speakers are. Time to start researching sound systems...
A 720P Winner !!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Plasmas have come a long way since they've first come out. The contrast ratio is something else and the high def images are amazing, even at 720P. This 720P plasma looks better than some of the 1080P LCDs I've seen out there. Upon setup and direct connect to my home cable feed (no cable box), the tuner (although slowy) found 100+ channels including all the HD local broadcasts which appear in incredible HD quality. The remote is basic and my only complaint is that the remote is bottom heavy and the numbers are near the top, so direct tuning with one hand is not so comfortable. The tuner is fast in terms of channel changing, especially among the HD channels (as compared to my 19" Toshiba 720P HD tv, which is a dog when it comes to this). My viewing distance is approximately 5 feet and the HD quality looks fine from this distance, but the TV clearly reveals the flaws of the SD channels. The TV, for a plasma, is not as heavy as I thought it would be, probably 10 pounds more than my 40 LCD. Overall, very satisfied with the produce and the quality and professionalism with which the shipper (CEVA) delivered the product. They opened the box for me and had me inspected everything before having me sign off. This is my second large flat panel Samsung and I think it's a brand I'll stick with, either plasma or LCD.
Best Bang For Your Plasma Buck
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
We wanted a flat screen to watch from various parts of the room, not just from a "sweet spot", and not spend over $800. Of course, for viewing angles and black levels, plasma was the natural choice, as the same pic quality on an LED/LCD TV would cost 3 times as much.
The B450 is amazing. No bells and whistles (we love that), very flexible user control, fantastic blacks, rich colors and swiveling pedestal make this unit an excellent value.. Picture a natural look, not that surreal, unrealistic look of 120 and 240HZ LCDs I compared it too. The 720p is not a limitation,( cable is 1080i, anyway) and at normal viewing distances you could never tell from 1080p. Superfine patterns have a moire' effect sometimes, but they do on any tv I have looked at, with programming not originally filmed in HD.
Just a basic, versitile high quality plasma at a great price!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Great picture and great price and Crutchfield service was excellent as usual. Bought this TV for my elderly mother who does not need all the bells and whistles. We set it up in her living room on Thanksgiving and all the visitors were oohing and aahing. She is very happy with it.
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I've had this TV for a little over a month now and I have love it. Deep blacks make for a great picture. I have this TV in my bedroom, low light conditions mostly, and I have the brightness set at minimum and the picture is still plenty bright. I did unfortunately find 1 dead pixel on the screen. Crutchfield was willing to replace the set free of charge although I decided to keep it as the pixel isn't highly noticable. I wish the remote illuminated, I ended up switching remotes from my 52" Samsung because that remote does illuminate. Overall very pleased.
What's in the box?
- 42" Plasma TV
- Pedestal stand
- 4 Machine screws with lock-washers and flat-washers attached
- Wireless remote control (BN59-00856A)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 5' AC power cord
- Bottom cover (used when wall mounting)
- 4 Wall-mount spacers
- 2 Ferrite cores
- TV-holder attachment with mounting screw
- Screen cleaning cloth
- User Manual (Eng/Spa)
- Quick Setup Guide
- Pedestal Stand Installation Instructions
- "Securing the TV to the Wall" instructions
- Warranty information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Digital Television Transition Notice
Features and Specs
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
E-Panel Technology: SAMSUNG's E-panel technology combines superior picture quality with enhanced color, saturation, and contrast; as well as energy efficiency. The E-Panel system features two separate unique technologies. FilterBright minimizes glare and reflections for optimal viewing any time of day and 600Hz Subfield Motion with a .001ms response time help to deliver a clear picture for sports, action, and other fast-moving scenes
- FilterBright Anti-Glare Filter: The anti-glare filter reduces reflections noticeably while maintaining ultra-high picture contrast. Daytime sports events look crisp and bright, while movies at night feature rich blacks and realistic shadow detail. Minimized image glare and maximized contrast make this HDTV perfect for the ultimate viewing experience day or night.
- 600Hz Subfield Motion: The television features 600Hz Subfield Motion technology with a fast .001ms response time that minimizes blurring of fast motion in sports programming and movie content.
Three HDMI Inputs: The Samsung Plasma television features three HDMI inputs (2 rear/1 side). The HDMI 2 input can also be used to connect a device with a DVI output (a DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable is necessary). If a DVI-equipped device is used, separate audio cables will also be needed from the device to the "DVI In" RCA stereo audio jacks. No audio cables are needed for an HDMI-equipped device. The HDMI inputs can also be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI jacks will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Dual Component Video: The two Component Video jacks will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. Separate RCA stereo audio inputs are provided for each Component Video input. The Component Video 1 input can also be used as a composite video input.
Native Resolution: The Samsung PN42B450 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768 and scales all inputs for display at 768p. The HDMI and component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Mega Dynamic Contrast Ratio: The TV has a dynamic contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1. These contrast and brightness levels achieve a more realistic, sharper picture quality.
Wide Color Enhancer 2: Whereas blue and green shaded areas of a picture are washed out on conventional television screens, Wide Color Enhancer 2 lets you experience more brilliant colors by widening the TV's range of color.
Anti Burn-In Technology: Samsung's Anti-burn-in technology uses auto pixel shift and signal pattern processing functions to ensure that no images are burned into the plasma panel.
- Pixel Shift: This function shifts the pixels of the displayed image every minute to prevent burn-in.
- Scrolling: This function removes after-images on the screen by moving all the pixels on the PDP according to a pattern.
- Side Gray: When you watch TV with the screen ratio of 4:3, the screen is prevented from any damage by adjusting the white balance on both the extreme left and right sides of the television.
Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following picture sizes:
- 16:9: Sets the picture to 16:9 wide mode.
- Zoom 1: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Zoom 2: Vertically enlarges the size of the picture more than Zoom 1 and allows you to move the enlarged picture using the arrows on the remote.
- Wide Fit: Proportionally enlarges the picture to fit the entire screen without changing the aspect ratio.
- 4:3: Sets the picture to 4:3 normal mode with pillars on the left and right of the screen.
- Screen Fit: See the full image with no resizing when an HDMI input (1080i), Component (1080i), or DTV (1080i) signal is used.
Picture Control: You can make the following adjustment for an optimum picture:
- Automatic Picture Settings:
- Standard: for the optimum display in a normal environment
- Dynamic: for high-definition in a bright room
- Movie: for viewing movies in a dark room
- Manual Picture Settings:
- Cell Light: sets the pixel brightness
- Contrast: adjusts the contrast level of the picture
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness level of the picture
- Sharpness: adjusts the edge definition of the picture
- Color: adjusts the color saturation of the picture
- Tint: adjusts the color tint of the picture
- Detailed Picture Settings:
- Black Tone: screen depth is adjusted using Black Level, settings include Off, Dark, Darker, Darkest
- Dynamic Contrast: adjust contrast to optimize the picture (Off, Low, Medium, High)
- Gamma: adjust the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue) intensity
- Color Space: select the color space for the most natural color (Auto, Native, Custom)
- White Balance: adjust the color temperature for more natural colors (Red, Green, Blue)
- Flesh Tone: Emphases the pink "flesh tone" in the picture
- Edge Enhancement: edge enhancement emphasizes the boundaries of an object, it can be turned off if you prefer
- Color Tone: adjust the overall color tone using one of five presets: Cool 1, Cool 2, Normal, Warm 1, Warm 2
- HDMI Black Level: the black level can be set to Normal or Low when using an HDMI (RGB) input
Film Mode: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Digital Noise Reduction: If the broadcast signal received by your TV is weak, you can activate the Digital Noise Reduction feature to help reduce any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen.
Auto Volume: Auto volume automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels.
Automatic Sound Settings: You can choose from the following sound settings:
- Standard: resets the standard factory settings
- Music: for watching music videos and concerts
- Movie: for watching movies
- Clear Voice: for watching a show that is mostly dialog
- Custom: adjust the 5-band EQ; 100 Hz, 300 Hz, 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz
SRS TruSurround HD: SRS TruSurround HD is a patented SRS technology that solves the problem of playing 5.1 multichannel content over two speakers. TruSurround delivers a compelling, virtual surround sound experience through any two-speaker playback system, including the internal television speakers. It is fully compatible with all multichannel formats.
3D Function: You can enjoy 3D movies and game images on this television using special 3D glasses (sold separately), an optional 3D IR emitter (not supplied) and PC (not included). The unit features a proprietary 3D IR emitter port on the back of the television.
Digital Audio: The optical digital output (with plastic cover) on the rear panel will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM.
PC-Capable: This unit has a 15-pin D-Sub (RGB) input that allows you to use it as a high-resolution computer monitor. The HDMI 2 input can also be used with a computer. The TV can be set to automatically adjust to the video signals received, or you can use the setup menu to adjust the screen quality and position. No cables are supplied for connecting the TV to a PC.
PC In: This input consists of a stereo mini-jack and an analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack. This jack allows you to connect a personal computer with a D-Sub 15-pin output. When using the RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) jack, you must use the PC Audio 3.5mm input for your audio connection.
Favorite Channel: You can create a list of your favorite channels and recall the list using the FAV.CH button on the remote.
Channel Labels: Each analog channel programmed into memory can be labeled with a name up to 5 characters. Digital channels names are already assigned and cannot be edited.
Input Source Names: You can assign a pre-programmed name to each of the inputs. When input naming is completed, you will no longer have to remember which component is connected to each input when selecting a source to watch. Source names include VCR, DVD, Cable STB, Satellite STB, PVR STB, AV Receiver, Game, Camcorder, PC, TV, DVI PC, DVI, IPTV, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and Digital Media Adapter.
Digital Signal Strength Meter: The digital signal strength meter can be used to help you find the antenna position that delivers the highest HDTV digital signal strength.
Analog Channel Fine Tuning: The fine tuning feature allows you to manually adjust analog channels for optimal reception. A separate fine tuning setting may be put into the TV's memory for each analog channel.
V-Chip: The V-Chip feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children based on the user selected parental guidelines. The user must enter a 4-digit password before any of the V-Chip restriction are set up or changed.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minutes.
On/Off Timer: The three On/Off timers allow you to program the television to turn itself on and off by selecting a specific on time and a specific off time. You also choose the On Timer's channel and Volume. The on and off timers work independently of one another.
Energy Saver: This feature adjust the power consumption of the television in order to save energy. You can select from Low, Medium, High or Off energy saver modes.
On/Off Melody: A unique melody plays when the TV is turned on and off. The melody volume is adjustable, or you can turn this feature off if you prefer.
TV Only Remote: The supplied remote control is designed to only operate the Samsung LCD television and Anynet+ connected components. You can use the remote control up to a distance of about 23 feet from TV with a direct line of sight.
Anynet+: Anynet+ is a function that enables you to control all connected Samsung devices that support Anynet+ with the Samsung television's remote control. The Anynet+ system can be used only with Samsung devices that support the Anynet+ features. The Anynet+ feature must be turned on in the menu to function.
Detachable Stand: The PN42B450 comes with a table-top stand (unattached) for easy placement on top of a counter or table. The table-top stand is installed using the supplied hardware. On the stand, the TV can swivel 20° left or right. The television weighs 61.3 lbs with the stand attached.
Wall Mounting: You can remove the stand and mount this display on the wall using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has four threaded screw holes spaced to accommodate many universal wall mount brackets. The hole spacing is 400mm x 400mm and requires four M8 (8mm) machine screws. The television weighs 53.1 lbs without the stand.