Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Start watching true 4K content on your F9000 TV
The SEK-2500U replaces the One Connect Box originally included with Samsung's F9000-series TVs. This upgraded box is compatible with Netflix's 4K streaming, and can display 4K content when connected to Samsung's UHD media player.
The SEK-2500U demonstrates the genius of Samsung's One Connect Box design. Physically, this box is virtually identical to the version that came standard with F9000-series Ultra HD TVs.
The F9000 models do a great job of upconverting HD content, like Blu-ray, but aren't compatible with 4K sources that have become available recently. The SEK-2500U updates the box's digital connections with four HDMI 2.0-compatible inputs.
The box's innards now include HEVC decoding, which is necessary for watching streamed 4K content from Netflix® and other video services. And there's a designated USB input for connecting Samsung's UHD Video Pack 4K media player (sold separately).
Last, but not least, the SEK-2500U houses a more powerful Quad Core Plus processor that runs about twice as fast as last year's version, for speedier web browsing and app multitasking.
- allows you to update 2013 and 2014 Samsung Ultra HD TVs so you'll be able to watch current and future sources of 4K content
- replaces your TV's original One Connect Box and connects to the TV using the same proprietary cable
- Note: after connecting the SEK-2500U to your TV, you'll need to update the firmware to maximize the performance of the Evolution Kit and your TV
- HEVC and VP9 codecs for watching streamed 4K content from sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet connection speed of at least 20Mbps)
- more powerful Octa Core Plus processor for faster web browsing, quicker access to online applications, and greater multi-tasking capability
- includes Smart Touch touchpad remote control with built-in microphone for voice control
- 14-3/8"W x 1-1/4"H x 5-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Samsung SEK-2500U Evolution Kit Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
I had no problems installing the 2500U evolution kit on my 65F9000 ultra HDTV set. Followed the directions exactly, Works great
Pros: Easy to install
why samsung does not back up hjis customers in a timely fashion
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Samsung by now should be contacting the customers that bought this item and compensate them for buying something ,that for now, does not work, discourages csutomers from buying new technologies.
Pros: Looks pretty , maybe for decoration
Cons: does not work until firmware update is available Samsung now, is promiiing over the phone for June??? I doubt it
Samsung evolution kit 2014
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Looks like a pretty box and sounds like a great idea but Samsung dropped the ball on this one and released it without a working firmware. At this point it is a paperweight...
Pros: Shintt and the promise of uhd content and future upgrades.
Cons: No working firmware for this box as of 6/10/14
Works as expected
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
Followed the directions that included a software update prior to a disconnect from the original One Connect and everything flowed. It works.
Pros: Easy installation.
Cons: None at this time.
Evolution Kit Does Not Work
No working firmware for kit and it will not work as advertised. Does not upgrade a 2013 UN65F9000AF UHD TV to 2014 standards
Pros: Promise of being able to upgrade your TV
Cons: No Netflix 4k app; color rendition poor/faded; blacks appear grey; picture flickers/judders.
Needs firmware fix to work correctly
The One Connect Box with the latest firmware has some major bugs in it. The biggest is that you will lose your deep blacks and the edge and corner lighting is much more pronounced then with the original one connect box. I wouldn't order one until Samsung fixes these problems. I am probably going to go back to the original box. All the new features are very nice but you picture quality will take a big step down. Samsung has known about these problems for at least a few weeks and is slow to post a fix.
Pros: New remote and synchronization with the Comcast X1 platform is cool.
Cons: Box needs new firmware to function at least as good as the original one connect box, regarding picture quality.
Not Functional w/o Firmware/Software Update(s)
**Important notice** As of 5/25/14, this product is NOT functional with 2013 F9000 series UHDTVs. Samsung has not released the required US software and/or firmware updates yet. The TV and Evolution Kit will NOT interface with each other. After initial connections are done and the TV is turned on, a graphic is displayed which indicates a lack of connection. Sadly, I had to reconnect the TV's original One Connect box to my UN65F9000 UHDTV. Samsung has released the hardware before the software/firmware is available. The "cart" came before the "horse" on this product. Once this "bug" is corrected, the 2014 Evolution Kit will be a valuable upgrade for the compatible 2013 UHDTV models.
Pros: Upgrades 2013 F9000 UHDTVs to 2014 specs
Cons: Product is NOT functional until required US firmware/software updates are released
What's in the box?
- Evolution kit one-connect box
- 10' Proprietary cable
- Smart Touch remote control (BN59-01185K)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Component AV adapter
- Composite AV adapter
- Instruction Booklet
- Quick Setup Guide
UHD Evolution Kit (SEK-2500U): Samsung's SEK-2500U UHD Evolution Kit helps to future-proof your Samsung 2013 UHD television by allowing you to upgrade your TV's software & hardware to the latest version. The SEK-2500U upgrades the TV's Smart Hub interface and updates television's hardware to the latest UHD specification. You also get Samsung's Quad Core Plus processing. The Evolution Kit includes a replacement One Connect Box, 10' proprietary cable, and a newly designed Smart Touch Remote Control. New features include -
- Compatible with the new UHD standards, including HDMI 2.0 & HEVC codec.
- Updates the Samsung Smart Hub menu interface with the latest smart features from Samsung.
- New Smart Touch Remote Control with voice recognition.
TV Compatibility: The Samsung SEK-2500U UHD Evolution Kit is compatible with the following 2013 Samsung Ultra-HD TVs after the latest firmware/software update from Samsung (as of 5/28/2014).
- F9000 series
- S9 series
- S9C series
Note: This UHD Evolution Kit may not support some apps a previous features that were available on your 2013 Samsung TV, such as the Smart Hub social panel. Installing the SEK-2500U may reset some of your existing TV settings.
HDMI 2.0 + HEVC: The Samsung SEK-2500U UHD Evolution Kit offers the latest HDMI 2.0 connectivity for playback of current and future 4K/60Hz content. The SEK-2500U also supports "HEVC" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K content from online movie & TV show providers (like Netflix). 4K network streaming requires a network speed of 15Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router for 4K streaming. Make sure the Samsung television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
One Connect Box: Samsung's SEK-2500U UHD Evolution Kit includes a new One Connect Box which replaces the box that came with your 2013 Samsung Ultra-HD TV. After disconnecting the old box, the new One Connect Box connects to your compatible Samsung UHDTV using the included 10' proprietary cable. The One Connect Box is fitted with all of your TV's RF, video, audio, USB, LAN, and IR Out connectivity; plus a built-in digital TV tuner.
- Video Inputs: The One Connect Box is fitted with
standard-definition, high-definition, and ultra-HD video inputs.
- HDTV Tuner w/ RF Coaxial Input: The One Connect Box features a single RF-type coaxial input for connecting an external indoor/outdoor antenna. The unit has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i).
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The One Connect Box features four HDMI 2.0 inputs to connect to your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, or AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The television's HDMI inputs will accept 3,840 x 2,160 (24/60Hz), 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals. All HDMI inputs are 3D ready. The HDMI 4 input is MHL compatible, while the HDMI 3 input support ARC (Audio Return Channel).
- Component Video: The Samsung LED-LCD TV also features a proprietary component AV input and comes with a component AV adapter. The television's component video input will accept 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals. This component video input can also be used as a composite video input (480i only)
- Composite Video: In addition, there is a composite video input (480i only). This inputs consists of a 3.5mm AV input with a 3.5mm AV-to-composite video/stereo RCA adapter.
- Audio Outputs: The One Connect Box is fitted with analog and
digital audio outputs.
- Optical Digital Output: The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, and USB ports on the One Connect Box. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo or a matrixed 5.1ch signal (DTS Neo 2:5) from sources connected to the One Connect Box via HDMI or RCA.
- 3.5mm Analog Output: The One Connect Box features a 3.5mm (minijack) audio output for connecting the television to an analog 2-channel receiver (located on component video input harness). You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your soundbar speaker or AV receiver. The One Connect Box's analog audio output terminals will output 2ch audio from any of the One Connect Box's source inputs.
- Network Connection: There is RJ-45 Ethernet jack located on the One Connect Box to connect to your home's network, so you can access music/video/photo content stored on your computer and enjoy a variety of on-line music and movie services from Samsung Apps.
- USB Ports (3.0/2.0): The One Connect Box is equipped with three USB (type-A) ports. There are two USB 2.0 ports - one is used for connecting a USB mass-storage-class device (5V/0.5A); the other is used to connect a TV camera or keyboard/mouse from Samsung. There is also one USB 3.0 port which can connect to a USB hard-disk-drive (5V/1A). The USB 2.0 (5V/0.5A) and USB 3.0 (5V/1A) ports let you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device.
Samsung's Quad Core Plus Processor: The Samsung's SEK-2500U UHD Evolution Kit employs Samsung's Quad Core Plus processing technology. Quad Core Plus processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables extremely faster web browsing and application access. Quad Core Plus eliminates lag to give you a fluid browsing experience. It enables you to switch between apps, stream content, and multi-task faster. This extra power also provides faster page refreshing.
New Smart Hub Interface: The Samsung SEK-2500U Evolution Kit features Samsung's latest Smart Hub interactive multi-purpose menu interface. With Smart Hub, you can surf the web, download applications, and stay in touch with family and friends through social networking services. In addition, you can enjoy photo, video & music files stored on external storage devices.
- Five Convenient Panels: The new Smart Hub interface organizes
your entertainment and content into 5 convenient panels.
- Games: You can view all game apps provided by Smart Hub and download and play the games you select.
- Apps: Apps offers an extensive collection of free and paid news, sports, weather, and entertainment content you can directly download to and enjoy on your TV. The Apps menu has a number of sub-menus including Most Popular, What's new, and Categories to narrow down your search.
- On TV: Check a listing of TV programs that are currently airing and are scheduled to be aired. The program you are currently watching display in a small sub-window.
- Movies & TV Shows: Purchase and watch movies and TV shows from an online service provider. You can browse content by Favorites, Featured, Movies, TV Shows, Trailers, or Trending.
- Multimedia: Play back photo, video, and music files from an external USB or network storage device.
- Content Discovery: The new Smart Hub interface offers
unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's
tuner and network apps.
- Recommendations: Receive personalized TV and movie recommendations based on your own preferences and what's popular and trending. You can display program recommendation for different times of the day.
- Favorite Channels: You can designate frequently watched channels as "Favorites". You can create up to 5 favorite channel list for each member of your family. You can also rename and edit favorite channel lists.
- Genre: It is possible to filter channels by genre, if the channels contain proper genre information.
- Schedule Manager: Using this function, you can set the TV to display a desired channel automatically on a day and at a time of your choice. The Schedule Manager can be set to repeat only once, everyday, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, or Sat-Sun.
Smart Touch Remote w/ Voice Control: The new Samsung Smart Touch Remote Control makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with just your fingertips while focusing on the TV screen. The built-in touchpad acts as a pointer & mouse so you can navigate menu settings and search for content quickly and easily. You can even activate a virtual on-screen remote controller (w/ numeric keypad, playback controls, and shortcut menu) on the TV which can be operated through the remote's touchpad. It also has a built-in microphone that you can use to give the Samsung TV voice commands. Because the Smart Touch Remote communicates with the TV through wireless Bluetooth communication, it will need to be initially paired with the TV. This means you don't have to point the remote directly at the TV.
- Interactive Voice Control: Interactive voice control lets you give "conversational" instructions to the TV. You can execute various functions using common voice commands without having to remember specific keywords.
- Imperative Voice Control: Imperative voice control requires you to use pre-defined commands. "Trigger Words" can be displayed on-screen to use during voice control to help you know what to say.
Add-On UHD Video Pack (sold separately): Add Samsung's UHD Video Pack (305CYSUC10, sold separately) to the SEK-2500U Evolution Kit and watch Ultra-HD content on your compatible Samsung UHD TV. The UHD Video Pack includes 5 Ultra-HD movies and 3 Ultra-HD documentaries.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
I installed the update for the TV, backed up my old one connect using the directions in the new one connect box. Replaced the old one connect and followed the instructions and everything works fine to include netflix at 2160. [ Robert Jun 11, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Krissy Jun 08, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: This product is up to date and if any firmware updates have happened we have the most current version. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 08, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: I'm not aware of any firmware updates they have available as of that on that model, but if you check with Samsung they might be able to give you an idea on that. You can reach them at 800-726-7864. I hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 07, 2014 ] Staff