Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Upload your photos quickly and easily
It's easy to take lots of great images with today's digital cameras, but it can sometimes be a hassle to get them off your camera and send them where you want them to go. The Samsung ST80 can connect directly to a Wi-Fi computer network, allowing you to instantly upload photos and HD videos to Facebook® and YouTube to share with family and friends. Or you can email your shots to as many as 10 people on your contact list at once. No wires, no fuss and no waiting. The camera even comes with three free months of Boingo mobile Wi-Fi service, so you can email your shots when you're out and about, from compatible Internet hotspots located at many popular restaurants and hotels. (Monthly fee applies for mobile Wi-Fi service after the free initial period.)
The ST80 has a bright 3" touchscreen so you can frame your photos and review them easily. The smart crop feature takes in-camera editing to a whole new level by allowing you to change angles or level out images after you've snapped the photo. And smart auto mode instantly switches the camera to the best setting based on key elements of your composition, for consistently good results.
- 14.2-megapixel effective recording
- 3X optical zoom (3X digital zoom/9X total zoom)
- 3" LCD touchscreen for intuitive operation
- connects to wireless networks for easy uploading and emailing of photos and videos
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 35-105mm
- digital image stabilization
- smart automatic mode evaluates your shooting environment and selects ideal camera settings
- smart face recognition adjusts focus and exposure
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- 22MB internal memory
- uses microSD or microSDHC memory cards
- compatible with PictBridge-enabled printers
- 3-5/8"W x 2-5/16"H x 7/8"D
- weight (without battery and media): 3.8 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Ultra-slim cameras are "good to go"
The best type of camera is the one you actually have on hand when photo-worthy moments come along. At less than an inch thick, these tiny cameras fit in a pocket or handbag, so it's easy to take them with you just about anywhere. Capture memories with ease, from a night out with friends to a little leaguer's home run swing. Today's compact point-and-shoot cameras take sharp, detailed pictures, and some let you record high-def videos, too.
Samsung ST80 Reviews
Average Customer Review:
So Sexy and So Slim!!
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
This camera is packed full of amazing features. To start off the Wi-Fi is awesome!! No
need to connect to a PC to transfer pics...you can simply email them from your camera as
long as there's a wi-fi connection. And it has red-eye reduction, face recognition, smile
detector and so much more!! Plus it's 14MP which makes for a beautiful feature. This
camera out does the Kodak Share cameras by a long haul!
What's in the box?
- Digital camera (black/silver)
- BP70A Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V / 740mAh / 2.7 Wh)
- Touch pen
- 20" USB cable (with a proprietary connector on one end and a Type A USB male connector on the other end)
- AC adapter with Type A USB female connector (4.4V/400mA)
- Wrist strap
- User Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Manual
- Samsung International Warranty Certificate
- Accessories for ST80
- What is Boingo Mobile Wi-Fi? sheet
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||35-105mm|
|Internal Memory||22 MB|
|Effective Megapixel Count||1.42e+007|
|Highest Resolution||4320 x 3240|
|HD Video Recording||Yes|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||Not Given|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
3" LCD Touch Panel Monitor: The Samsung ST80 digital camera features a 3" color TFT LCD monitor with 230,000 dots with touch screen technology. With the included touch pen, you can touch on-screen icons to select a menu or option, and drag items left or right horizontally to scroll through photos or menu selections. On screen icons can be displayed or hidden as desired during shooting and playback. The monitor's brightness can be set to Normal, Dark, Bright, or Auto.
Motion Recognition: The camera has a built-in motion sensor that allows you to quickly switch the shooting mode or playback mode by tilting the camera. While touching the Motion Recognition icon (along the right edge of the LCD screen), you can tilt the camera forward to switch to movie mode, left for Smart Auto, and backward for program mode. In playback mode, you can tilt the camera forward to set the current photo as your favorite photo, backward to lock or unlock the current file, and left to start a slide show.
Wi-Fi Enabled: The ST80 contains Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g) capability, enabling you to connect with a WLAN and use photo or video sharing websites like Picasa, Facebook, YouTube, PhotoBucket, and Samsung's imaging website. You can upload still image files up to 2M (1920 x 1080) in size and videos up to 30 seconds in length at 320 x 240 resolution. The ST80 is also DLNA-certified for photos and videos. With the AllShare technology, you can view and share your photos and videos wirelessly on your DLNA-compatible HDTV. In addition, you can send photos wirelessly via email or to another ST80 camera.
Dual Media: The Samsung ST80 digital camera can record still images and video onto its built-in 22 MB flash memory or on microSD cards (up to 2 GB) or microSDHC cards (up to 8 GB). Larger card sizes are not guaranteed by Samsung.
Image Sensor: The Samsung ST80 digital camera is equipped with a 1/2.3" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 14.5 mega-pixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 14.2 mega-pixels for high-quality still images and video.
Image Recording Formats: The digital camera records still images in JPEG format at 4:3 (14M, 12M, 8M, 5M, 3M, and 1M) for viewing on a 4:3 TV, 16:9 (10M and 2M) for wide screen TVs, and 3:2 aspect ratios (12M), best for 4" x 6" prints. There are three compression ratio settings for each image size (Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). High-definition and standard-definition movies are recorded in MPEG4-AVC (H.264) format. Movie sizes include 1280 x 720 HQ (at 30 and 15 frames per second), 1280 x 720 (30/15 fps), 640 x 480 (30/15 fps), 320 x 240 (60/30/15 fps), and 320 x 240 for sharing (30 fps).
Image Size: The image capacity of a 1 GB microSD card is as follows:
|Recorded Image Size||Quality||Image Capacity with 1GB microSD Card|
4320 x 3240
4000 x 3000
4320 x 2880
4320 x 2432
3264 x 2448
2560 x 1920
2048 x 1536
1920 x 1080
1024 x 768
1280 x 720 HQ
|30 fps||13 min 30 sec|
|15 fps||23 min 36 sec|
1280 x 720
|30 fps||15 min 20 sec|
|15 fps||29 min 42 sec|
640 x 480
|30 fps||35 min 54 sec|
|15 fps||1 hour 07 min 30 sec|
320 x 240
|60 fps||1 hour 18 min 07 sec|
|30 fps||2 hours 18 min 19 sec|
|15 fps||3 hours 57 min 41 sec|
320 x 240
|30 fps||30 sec|
Lens: The ST80 digital camera features a 3x optical zoom lens with a focal length of 6.3 to 18.9 mm (35mm equivalent is 35-105mm). The f-stop range is f/3.0 (W) - 5.6 (T).
Digital Zoom: In addition to the 3x optical zoom, the camera provides a 3x digital zoom for a total zoom of 9x for still picture shooting.
Digital Image Stabilization (DIS): The ST80 is equipped with Samsung's Digital Image Stabilization algorithms to give you sharp, clear images.
Focus Modes: The Samsung ST80 offers the following auto focus modes:
- Normal: 31.5" to infinity (W/T)
- Macro: 3.94" to 31.5" (W), 19.69" to 31.5" (T)
- Auto Macro: 3.94" to infinity (W), 19.69" to infinity (T)
Focusing Area: You can select your preferred auto focus area:
- Center AF: the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be focused
- Multi AF: camera selects one or more of the 9 AF points
- Smart Touch AF: You can touch the subject on the touch screen and track them as they move within the frame.
- One Touch Shooting: You can touch and hold the subject on the screen, and the camera will focus on the subject and take the picture.
Face Detection: With the Face Detection feature, the camera detects faces in a scene and then automatically focuses and optimizes the brightness of the face for beautiful portrait pictures. The Face Detection feature detects up to 10 different faces, automatically adjusts focus and brightness, and also senses and removes red-eye. The camera offers the following Face Detection modes:
- Normal: This mode detects the face position of the subject automatically and the sets the focus and exposure.
- Smile Shot: The camera automatically takes a picture by detecting the face of the subject although you do not press the shutter button. If you press the Shutter button, the picture is taken in the normal way. When taking a picture with smile shot, showing teeth or keeping the smiley face of your subject helps detecting the smile face of the subject.
- Blink Detection: If the eyes of the subject are closed when the shutter button is pressed, the camera takes 2 continuous shots and then the images are saved. The camera takes only one picture if the eyes of the subject are open when the Shutter button is pressed.
Focus Lock: Use the camera's focus lock function to focus on a subject not positioned in the center of the picture.
Drive Modes: The camera offers four drive modes to suit your shooting needs:
- Single: Takes on picture only.
- Continuous: Images will be taken continuously until the shutter button is released.
- Motion Capture: This takes 6 shots per second when the shutter button is held down. A maximum number of 30 shots can be taken and the image sized is fixed to VGA (640 x 480).
- AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing): Takes three pictures in a series in different exposures - standard exposure, under exposure, and over exposure.
Self-Timer: The Samsung ST80 offers four self-timer functions:
- 10 Sec Self-Timer: Pressing the shutter button will allows an interval of 10 seconds before the image is taken.
- 2 Sec Self-Timer: Pressing the shutter button will allows an interval of 2 seconds before the image is taken.
- Double Self-Timer: A picture will be taken after about 10 seconds and 2 seconds later a second picture will be taken.
- Motion Timer: Detects your movement and takes a photo 6 seconds later.
Recording Mode: The ST80 offers various recording modes to choose from to match your shooting preference, using the menu guide:
- Smart Auto: The camera automatically chooses the appropriate camera settings based on a detected type of scene. It will automatically select one of the 17 scene modes which best suits the environment you are shooting in.
- Auto: The camera lets you take a photo quickly and easily with minimal settings.
- Program: Select this mode to manual configure all functions of the camera, except the aperture value and shutter speed.
- Scene Modes: The ST80's various scenes modes automatically
configures the camera's optimal settings for a variety of shooting
- Night: Use this for shooting still images at night or in other dark conditions.
- Portrait: to take a picture of a person
- Children: to take a picture of fast moving objects, such as children
- Landscape: to take pictures of distant scenery
- Text: use this mode to shoot a document
- Close Up: close-up shooting for small objects such as plants and insects
- Sunset: for taking pictures of sunsets
- Dawn: daybreak scenes
- Backlight: portrait without shadows caused by backlight
- Fireworks: firework scenes
- Beach&Snow: for ocean, lake, beach, and snowscape scenes
- Frame Guide: use this mode when you want someone else to take a picture for you from the angle you choose
- Beauty Shot: Takes a photo of a person with
options to hide facial imperfections. Two available options:
- Face Tone: this function allows you to control the skin tone in images that will be taken with beauty shot mode; the higher the level you select, the brighter the skin tone
- Face Retouch: this feature allow you to make skin appear clear and beautiful before recording in beauty shot mode, the higher the level select, the more effective the control
- Smart Scene Detection (Movies): You can select the Smart Scene Detection mode and the camera will automatically select one of four scenes according to the conditions: Landscapes, Blue Sky, Natural Green, and Sunset Sky.
- Movie Mode: A movie clip can be recorded (with or without sound) for as long as the available recording time of the memory capacity allows (up to 20 minutes).
Exposure Compensation: This camera automatically adjusts the exposure according the ambient light conditions. You can also select the exposure value from +2.0EV to -2.0EV in steps of 1/3EV.
Metering Mode: If you cannot obtain suitable exposure conditions, you can change the camera's metering method to take brighter pictures. You can choose from 3 modes:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
Built-in Flash: The Samsung digital camera features a built-in flash with a variable range based on the auto focus mode. The flash has a range of 15.75" to 11.81' (W) and 19.69" to 6.23' (T). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto Flash: If the subject or background is dark, the camera flash will operate automatically.
- Fill In Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light. The intensity of the flash will be automatically controlled to suit the prevailing condition.
- Slow Sync: The flash operates with a slow shutter speed to obtain a balanced correct exposure.
- Red-Eye Reduction: The flash fires when the subject or background is dark. When a shot with "red-eye" is detected, this mode will reduce the red-eyed effect automatically.
- Red-Eye Fix: The flash fires when the subject or background is dark, and the camera corrects red eyes through its advanced software analysis
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the colors to appear more natural. The camera has seven white balance modes.
- Auto WB: The camera automatically selects the appropriate white balance settings, depending on the prevailing lighting conditions.
- Daylight: For taking images outside.
- Cloudy: For taking images under a cloudy and overcast sky.
- Fluorescent H: For shooting under daylight fluorescent type of three-way fluorescent lighting.
- Fluorescent L: Shooting under white fluorescent lighting.
- Tungsten: For shooting under tungsten (standard light bulb) lighting.
- Custom Set: Allows you to set the white balance according to the shooting condition.
ISO Sensitivity: You can select the ISO sensitivity when taking pictures. The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. The camera features the following ISO settings - Auto, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.
Photo Style Selector: You can add various effects to an image you are about to record without using image editing software. You can choose from Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative, or Custom RGB.
Image Adjust: You can adjust the Contrast, Sharpness, and Saturation of a recorded image.
Note: You cannot check the Image Adjustment effect on the camera's LCD monitor before you take a picture, because this function is applied only when the capture image is stored on the memory.
Voice Recording: You can make a monaural voice recording for as long as the available memory (up to 10 hours). A voice memo of up to 10 seconds can be recorded in a photo.
Quick View: If you enable the Quick View function before capturing an image, you can view the image you just captured on the camera's LCD monitor for the set duration of 0.5, 1, or 3 seconds.
Smart Album: Recorded content can be categorized by file type (picture, video, or voice), date, color, week, favorite, or face (up to 20); allowing you to easily retrieve them on the camera when you want to view particular pictures.
Thumbnail Playback: You can view multiple pictures (9 or 16) on the LCD monitor at once.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously, at intervals of 1, 3, 5, or 10 seconds, with various slide-show effects on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to play along with your still image slide show.
Movie Playback: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play, Pause, Scan backward, and Scan Forward. You can also adjust the volume level of the playback audio.
Copy To Card: This feature enables you to copy image files, movie clips, and voice recording files from the camera's internal memory to an inserted memory card.
Movie Clip Capture: You can capture still images from a recorded movie clip. The captured movie clip file will be saved as the same size as the original movie clip (1280 x 720, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240).
Edit: The Samsung ST80 digital camera offers various editing features so you can manipulate your pictures right from the camera once they have been recorded.
- Resize: You can change the resolution (size) of a pictures taken to a smaller size.
- Image Rotation: You can rotate and image 360-degrees in 90-degree increments.
- Photo Style Selector: It is possible to add various effects to your recorded images, such as Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative, and Custom RGB.
- Image Adjust: You can adjust the following elements of
a recorded image:
- ACB (Auto Contrast Balance): You can automatically adjust the brightness of the dark area of a recorded image, caused by under exposure to the light source.
- Red-Eye Fix: The red-eye effect can be removed from a captured image.
- Face Retouch: You can make the skin in a recorded image appear more clear and beautiful.
- Add Noise Effect: You can add noise to a recorded image to add an more classic feel to your photo.
Protecting Images: This is used to protect specific shots from being accidentally erased.
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The ST80 conforms to "Exif Print," a worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even better than the originals.
DPOF (1.1) Transfer Order: You can use the camera to specify settings for images that you wish to download to a computer. The settings used on the camera comply with the Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) standards.
PictBridge (1.0) Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
AV/USB Proprietary Output: The Samsung ST80 features a single proprietary port which allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the included USB type-A cable. To connect the camera to a TV, you'll need the optional A/V cable (CB20A12). The video output can be set to NTSC or PAL. This proprietary output along with the supplied USB cable can be used to recharge the battery (in the camera) using the supplied AC adapter.
Note: The ST80 does not have an HDMI output.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung ST80 comes supplied with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (BP-70A) which provides up to 200 still image shots or 80 minutes of movie recording. The supplied AC adapter and USB cable charges the Lithium-Ion battery in approximately 150 minutes.
Auto Power Off: This function switches the camera off after a set amount of time (of no operation) in order to prevent unnecessary battery drainage. The camera can be set to turn off after 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes of no operation.
Supplied Software: The Samsung ST80 comes supplied with built-in Intelli-Studio software, as well as a CD-ROM which contains the full User Manual. Intelli-Studio is compatible only with Windows operating systems. It does not work with Macintosh computers. The minimum requirements for loading Intelli-Studio are:
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or higher or AMD Athlon FX 2.6 GHz or higher
- RAM: Minimum 512 MB (1 GB and above recommended)
- Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
- Hard Disc Drive: 250 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)
- CD-ROM drive
- nVIDIA Geforce 7600GT or higher/ATI X1600 series or higher
- 1024 x 768 pixels, 16-bit color display compatible monitor (1280 x 1024 pixels, 32-bit display recommended)
- USB port, Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or later
Mass Storage Device: You can use the camera as a Mass Storage Device and download images to your computer if the computer is using one of the following operating systems:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Mac OS 10.4 or later
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.