Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
If you've been on the lookout for a lens that will absolutely change the character and emphasis of the subjects you shoot, plus give you flexibility in framing options that you just can't get any other way, you need to start experimenting with this Sigma Photo 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ultra-wide-angle zoom lens. With a 12mm equivalent focal length on most APS-C cameras at full wide angle, this lens is ideal for capturing that seaside panorama with the approaching storm clouds, or the full city skyline from the high ground downtown. Plus, with the unusual emphasis that extreme wide angles give to perspective, you'll be able to create images that are truly arresting.
Emphasis on foreground subjects, relative to their backgrounds, is a specialty of lenses like these. Try it out in tight interior spaces as well for a roomy feel in cozy quarters.
- Canon EF-mount
- 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM ultra-wide-angle zoom lens with 35mm equivalent of 12.8-25.6mm on Canon cameras with APS-C sensors
- not recommended for full-frame cameras
- HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) for fast, silent focusing
- two hybrid aspherical elements, five Sigma FLD glass elements (performance similar to fluorite glass)
- ideal for landscapes, architectural photography, interesting perspectives, and building interiors
- minimum focus distance: 9.4 inches
- constructed of 15 elements in 11 groups
- lens is 3-1/16" in diameter, 4-5/8" long
- weight: 19.2 oz.
- front adapter ring, carrying case, front and rear lens caps supplied
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sigma Photo 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Crutchfield Customer Review (What's this?)
The widest angle lens for APS-C sensors. Great quality and super sharp.
Pros: Great price, customer service and USA warranty from an authorized seller.
What's in the box?
- Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM zoom lens for Canon
- LCF-72 II lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Soft padded case
- Warranty Card
- Limited Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Maximum Aperture||f/4.5 (W) - 5.6 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM is designed to be used with cameras with APS-C size image sensors. It is the first ultra wide angle zoom lens with a minimum focal length of 8mm, and has an equivalent angle of view of a 12-24mm lens when used with an APS-C size image sensor. It is the perfect lens for shooting landscapes, architecture, building interiors, group pictures, and much more. The lens has the Canon EF-mount.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens features a two-way switch for setting the focus mode: AF (auto focus) or MF (manual focus).
Sigma Technology: The lens has the following Sigma technology built-in:
- FLD Glass: Sigma's new FLD glass elements, which have the performance equal to fluorite glass, compensate for color aberration.
- Aspherical Lens: Aspherical lenses are used for outstanding optical performance and to keep the lenses compact.
- Super Multi-layer Coating: Sigma's own Super Multi-layer Coating suppresses lens flare and ghosting by preventing reflections within the lens.
- Rounded Diaphragm: Using a rounded diaphragm instead of a polygonal shaped one produces pleasingly rounded out-of-focus light points when opened to near maximum aperture.
- Inner Focusing System: Sigma uses a focusing system that only moves elements within the lens barrel to avoid a changing barrel length as you focus.
- Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM): The Hyper Sonic Motor uses ultrasonic waves to drive the autofocus mechanism. This extremely quiet operation helps avoid disturbing photographic subjects, and isn't picked up by the microphone while recording video.
- Lens Construction: 15 Elements in 11 Groups, including four FLD glass elements and three aspherical lenses
- Angle of View: 114.5° to 75.7°
- Number of Diaphragm Blades: 7
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5-5.6
- Minimum Aperture: F22
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 9.48" throughout the zoom range
- Filter Size: 72mm
- Maximum Magnifications: 1:7.8
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.033", Length=4.563"
- Weight: 19.2 ounces